Rollback details

Rollback details

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mike O Brien

Previous

Mike O Brien

President -- ArenaNet

The trading post is back up. All services are now restored.

Anyone experiencing an error trying to access the game or trading post, give it a few minutes for timeouts to clear, and contact us if there’s still a problem.

Thank you all for your patience today!

Mo

Rollback details

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

kitten happens, but you handle it amazingly well guys. Doing a system rollback is never easy but you done it so in less than 3 hours. And attendding all the possible scenarios it’s actually good planning.

That should be in some kind of record. And the dudes in charge of the rollback, those are hardcore workers i might say.

Great job is the only thing i can say.

The problem was there because we are humans after all. But you fix it quickly and ina efficient way. Anet how you handled this crisis is a good example of a good job, please keep it up.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

Rollback details

Posted by: Alexgoll.6378

Alexgoll.6378

Pro Tip: If you’ve been sitting at the log-in screen, you may continue to get the “Can’t log in” message even though the game is accessible. Close the game completely and start over. Success!
See you in the game!

After rollback game dont work at all

Attachments:

Rollback details

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Pro Tip: If you’ve been sitting at the log-in screen, you may continue to get the “Can’t log in” message even though the game is accessible. Close the game completely and start over. Success!
See you in the game!

Have you tried completely shutting the game down?

If so, have you tried restarting your computer in case your computer didn’t shut down the game properly?

Rollback details

Posted by: TheDetective.8172

TheDetective.8172

Unfortunate event but you guys sure are handling it well. Thanks so much!

Rollback details

Posted by: Glitchy.7412

Glitchy.7412

Thank you so much for the detailed update and your reply to my tweet on Twitter! You guys are the best. Thank you for the constant fine tuning and keeping us all in the loop! <3

Rollback details

Posted by: SeamusTse.9087

SeamusTse.9087

Thanks Mike & Anet staff, Your Keep hard work is appreciated and provided a quick maintain of almost non-stop in game services for all of us.

Rollback details

Posted by: master of da elements.9425

master of da elements.9425

Can get to char select, then white screen ….

Lucky. im still trying to download the game and it’s not working

possessions 9/10ths of the law the other tenth’s a tank and I got both -Sarge Red vs Blue

Rollback details

Posted by: Widowmaker.2547

Widowmaker.2547

Big issue after the Roll back, any players that were in the Field of Ruins are getting constantly kicked to LA and getting their progress reset each time.

Rollback details

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

I logged out/closed the client for about 15 minutes and about a minute after I logged back in I got DC’d again. I’m also not getting my money for teleporting restored when it resets me.

And no it’s not just me, everyone in chat is saying they’ve been getting DC’d repeatedly since servers came back up.

Rollback details

Leiloni.7951

Big issue after the Roll back, any players that were in the Field of Ruins are getting constantly kicked to LA and getting their progress reset each time.

I was in Cursed Shore on one character and Divinity’s Reach on another, and any time I try to teleport over TO Field of Ruins I keep getting disconnected. I just want to do my daily.

Rollback details

Posted by: DeLys.5380

DeLys.5380

I wasn’t in the login screen or even online yet I still get the “check your Internet connection” message. :/

Rollback details

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Logging in to the game work fine for me but loading a character… 30s then network error. Tried characters in 3 different zones, no difference.

Rollback details

Posted by: Erdbeere.3012

Erdbeere.3012

my daily achieve point disappeared….

Rollback details

Posted by: Ramcke.6831

Ramcke.6831

Kept getting disconnected on map “Fields of Ruin” every couple of minutes… it has kept me from finishing my dallies.

Rollback details

Leiloni.7951

People in map chat for Field of Ruins are saying that anytime any one person touches a crafting station it disconnects everybody on the map.

Rollback details

Posted by: Tosh.2741

Tosh.2741

are you freaking serious…. i was 1 pip away from legendary and this thing happens the amount of time i in put into gaming from my 2 jobs…….. wow….

Ep And Friends[GfG]
50/50 God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals
IGN: Toshi

Rollback details

Posted by: stephanie wise.7841

stephanie wise.7841

People in map chat for Field of Ruins are saying that anytime any one person touches a crafting station it disconnects everybody on the map.

same for me made a post in bugs for this.

Rollback details

Posted by: Shampanix.3928

Shampanix.3928

Thanks for great communication from your side guys, it was great to see!

About the problem itself – well, kitten happens thanks for bringing Tyria back and runing ^^

Rollback details

Leiloni.7951

Well now we’re down to entire map every player instant DC’s.

Rollback details

Posted by: xian.2781

xian.2781

I’m getting an API:2 bug still – no item info, no TP posts. Test for example https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/items/12452 or https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/commerce/listings?ids=19684,19709, both give {"error":“not found”}. At the same time, the in-game TP functions properly. Your mileage may vary – but they worked properly yesterday.

Rollback details

Posted by: Tayledras.1604

Tayledras.1604

Awesome communication…quick fix to a really bad situation…yep. Great work to everyone at Arenanet.

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Rollback details

Posted by: Tosh.2741

Tosh.2741

The funny thing is when it comes to money they give you your gems but the time of lost rip pips. Fabulous job. A++

Ep And Friends[GfG]
50/50 God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals
IGN: Toshi

Rollback details

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

See you in the game!

Yeah, I’m getting that same error right now. I can log into the game but cannot get past the character selection screen

Edit: It finally worked. Yep, all the transactions I did I have to redo and the progress I made last night is all gone.

What can I say…roll backs suck, that’s about it.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

(edited by Gehenna.3625)

Rollback details

Posted by: diet.7546

diet.7546

hi. before the shutdown, i did t4 fotm dailies, got loots and sold them. i was around 270+g, 17k+ karma and got a 25-use BL salvage kit. as i logged in today, i noticed i only have around 250+g, and 13+k karma(after doin t4 dailies today). i checked my bank and i lost the new BL salvage kit. So in summary, i lost the ff:
approx. 20+g
approx 17k+ karma
25-use BL salvage kit.
Please notify me if you can give the items back. i earned them and a shutdown should never be reasonable enough to deprive a player of the items he worked hard to get. thank you.

PS please check my account before and after the re-rolling, might not have stated correct figures.

Rollback details

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

I never had experienced any downtime in my 1 year and 2 months here.
When I couldn’t log in (and checked the website, not the forums for announcements, so Bookah!) I thought it was on my side until I noticed it still realized if I did type in a wrong password, so the server could actually be reached, but of course denied access.

With all the other MMOs, especially from Nexon, where they had 2 “emergency” patches every week, FF14 with huge downtimes and error 90000, this has been the first time with GW2, and straight out honesty with the problem. Not the “we encountered a problem” generic message, but actual information. Also, the timeframe was pretty narrow, expected to rollback way more.

Weird, that despite there was a problem with the service, this makes me stick even more to this company now. Well done!

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Rollback details

Posted by: Greenhorn.3265

Greenhorn.3265

Hmm I just turned my PC on today and I still getting that Network error stated by someone else about 4 hours ago after I selecting any character.

Edit: It works now, but it seems, that everyone has to try getting into the game two times with about 10-20 minutes between the tries.

(edited by Greenhorn.3265)

Rollback details

Posted by: Glor.4965

Glor.4965

Great to have gw2 back but, I lost a key and kitten ticket scrap. I’m so kittened right now The drop rate is so low and when I finaly got something else than book of knowlage -booster – bank express combo there is a rollback.
I need a precursor as a reparation.

Rollback details

Posted by: Sigiran.4195

Sigiran.4195

I can’t play. Connection error after character select. Fix it.

Rollback details

Posted by: ArkenStein.5016

ArkenStein.5016

So how do i proove that I actually Dropt a Precursor? Does Anet have like a Log where everything is listed?

Rollback details

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Thanks for fixing this promptly and keeping us updated throughout the process!

Not an ideal situation, I can only imagine how stressful it must have been for everyone in the office. I hope someone did a coffee and doughnuts run!

So how do i proove that I actually Dropt a Precursor? Does Anet have like a Log where everything is listed?

Contact Support. They’ll let you know what info they need from you, if any.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Rollback details

Posted by: Yseron.8613

Yseron.8613

I did not play yesterday so i’m not affected by the rollback. That said i prefer to be sure that there is absolutely no risk any more and i ask here if anyone would avise to wait further before connecting to the game today.

Rollback details

Posted by: Nemesis.2019

Nemesis.2019

DC every 7-10mins, this patch broke so much…unplayable mess right now..

Rollback details

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Great job handling this Anet!

Rollback details

Posted by: Sigiran.4195

Sigiran.4195

I’m not sure but I have run gw2.exe —repair and now I don’t have any trouble.
Sorry for my English.

Rollback details

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Sorry for my English.

Your English is great imo, ty for the tip.

Rollback details

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Fantastic effort to get it sorted so quickly, big thumbs up to the team!

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Rollback details

Posted by: Olga.8207

Olga.8207

the same problem

Rollback details

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

See you in the game!

Keep trying mate (make sure that after the message when the game auto restarts, to again close game and again restart). This way of working took me 5 attempts, then got into the game. AFter the I relogged to a few characters without problem.

Anet, you made some mistakes lately, but the way you handled this problem is not one of them. You acted fast (only 2-3 hour ‘game progress lost’ – more would have been a disaster to solve, for customer support etc). You took the right decision. Yes rollbacks are not easy, nor do they make players happy (me either). But still respect for doing it, as it was absolutely the lesser of two evils. And Kudo’s to the team following bugs, on forums, noticing them very fast, then probably have a meeting, to then quickly decide this decision, and then also execute it (some ppl probably worked extra hours). And Mike O’brien communicated well and open (something we don’t always see). I wanna see more decisions like this Anet in future! It’s these decisions that make the game better on long term (obviously not short term, but I think people can live with that).

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

Rollback details

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Finally, I’m in the game. But I’m not going to say “thank you” ArenaNet because it was their mistake. And I think if this was not a game, but, for example, banking software, they would have been fired without a chance to find a job of programmer again.

Really? Is that how it works in your industry? If you make a mistake that causes your product or service to be inaccessible for 8 hours you lose your job and can never work in the same field ever again?

The only time I’ve heard of that happening was for something really drastic, like stealing money from the company or doing something else which is illegal. (And even then it depends on the situation – for example I know of someone who accidentally disturbed a protected species whilst employed to protect them, it could have lead to that years young being abandoned by their parents – they got a written warning but kept their job.)

My boss has a saying for these situations: “No one’s going to die and nothing will catch on fire.”

It’s not ideal, but it’s hardly the end of the world.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Rollback details

Posted by: Nemesis.2019

Nemesis.2019

Sorry for my English.

Did the repair time to see if it works..

Rollback details

Posted by: AndyS.5630

AndyS.5630

I’m not a computer scientist, but I’m just curious about something. Do you have to be physically present at the servers to do the rollback, or can a lot of this work be done remotely (from home, for example). I suppose it would depend on the specific problem. I’m just picturing people running about feverishly in the server room(s), trying to get things in order. Anyone wish to comment?

Of course, it’s 2016, you write down data on a piece of paper, then run to another room and manually type it into another computer. Sadly, the punched cards are out of general use nowadays.

Rollback details

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

They most likely still have the broken build saved and only reloaded the old, working one so they could go into the broken build and see if this actually happened to you.

But all of this also had a good thing to it: GW1 hasn’t been that full in quite some time

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

Rollback details

Posted by: dvartworks.7289

dvartworks.7289

I’m curious why you also brought back the old matchup in WvW after resetting it to the new matchup. I’m on Deso/RoS, we had Piken and Gandara after the patch now we have to deal with Jade Sea and Gandara again..

Rollback details

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

The only question that comes to mind is what about those who managed to get a decent (very) rare drop or accumulate significant amounts of gold in that time.

Everything else: not like you don’t PVP or WvW every single day, so any progress lost is not really progress lost. Same applies everywhere. Get over it.

Rollback details

Posted by: Winterlight.2581

Winterlight.2581

Same here I get to character select then white screen as well

Rollback details

Posted by: Neurion.4086

Neurion.4086

For those who still try to log in to the game and can’t… shut down your client and restart your computer. This worked fine for me.

Mr O’Brien and ANet staff
Thanks for shutting down the servers, not allowing the bug to spread and affect an even bigger number of players. That was a wise decision; and if a rollback was what would save the day, so be it. Also, thanks for keeping us updated with all the details about the unfortunate incident and the progress to reinstate a working version of the game.

Rollback details

Posted by: Ray Koopa.2354

Ray Koopa.2354

Also thanks to whoever noticed this bug at first and reported / handled it (be it an internal or external guy).

Imagine what would’ve happened if this bug would not have been found for several days.

Rollback details

Posted by: Dragon Masil.1974

Dragon Masil.1974

Lost a mathild’s weapon chest droped in PvP
I contacted the support, i hope they can do something.

I didn’t droped an ascended chest since 1 years… sad

Rollback details

Posted by: jacobine.6354

jacobine.6354

Finally, I’m in the game. But I’m not going to say “thank you” ArenaNet because it was their mistake. And I think if this was not a game, but, for example, banking software, they would have been fired without a chance to find a job of programmer again.

Really? Is that how it works in your industry? If you make a mistake that causes your product or service to be inaccessible for 8 hours you lose your job and can never work in the same field ever again?

The only time I’ve heard of that happening was for something really drastic, like stealing money from the company or doing something else which is illegal. (And even then it depends on the situation – for example I know of someone who accidentally disturbed a protected species whilst employed to protect them, it could have lead to that years young being abandoned by their parents – they got a written warning but kept their job.)

My boss has a saying for these situations: “No one’s going to die and nothing will catch on fire.”

It’s not ideal, but it’s hardly the end of the world.

Right?

Doesn’t work that way anywhere I’ve worked either. Years ago, my company was down for a WEEK because we got hit by a bad virus. Nobody was fired, but we all worked our tails off trying to get things going again. Another time (a different company) we had a database corrupt and had to rollback some financial transactions and orders.

And now I work at a software company. My team’s made a release that caused significant problems and we had to do an emergency rollback release. Recently another team added a feature that turned out to be terribly buggy in our major release and they had to pull it out too. The whole thing wasn’t down, but sometimes you have to take stuff down to mitigate the damage.

Nobody was fired any of those times.