SAB stand alone game?

SAB stand alone game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raxzor.5946

Raxzor.5946

I think the devs should make SAB a stand alone game. Develop new levels and link our GW account to it so we can play with friends. And sell it for a small price. A know most would get it, if we thought it was being constantly developed.

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Great suggestion….But I don’t think they have the resources for that kind of development. It is pretty obvious they already have lots to do with ls3, wvw, pvp stuff and raids.

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’d love to see SAB as a standalone game. Especially because I have some friends with no interest in GW2 who would love it.

I was wondering how maintaining servers for multi-player would work, because the game itself is more suited to a one-time payment than a subscription and I can’t imagine microtransactions would work.

Then I remembered Mike O’Brien managed to create a free online multi-player system back in 1996 (you may have heard of it, something called Battle.net). I never understood how that worked but I assume something similar could work for SAB.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I was thinking the same thing yesterday lol. I hate to mention other games and companies here on this forum but sometimes there is good reason to. Having said that, Jagex, the company that run Runescape also branched out into other smaller games and run them off a totally different site/platform. Pretty much you pay a subs there but that gives you access to all of their games.

For SAB however I should imagine maybe a once off payment and perhaps paying for any new worlds that come. Might be something for anet to think about in the future.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I will say one thing on the subject, they could monetize SAB more heavily… really easily too but instead this marks the first time when previous gem store items have actually been made into in-game rewards. So kudos to them for that.

I will say one thing here, dunno if this would apply to anyone but me, however, I would pay gems for future worlds in SAB in a heartbeat… like you can for LW episodes. That being said I can also see that this would perhaps be a poor choice and cause a major backlash for paywalling content like this. Then again, it seems we might never get any more SAB content outside some new rewards if Fridays dev stream is anything to go by, which sucks (but it is also the reason why I am writing this, I mean if they can not create them for free, maybe they could monetize them in some way).

Standalone game would be cool too, however, one reason I like SAB so much is because I can play something like it while earning some kind of progress in GW2. Granted this would not be impossible to do with a standalone game somehow, though. Unfortunately a standalone game from ANet that is not GW seems like something that would never happen (prove me wrong by all means please, ANet).

(edited by Crise.9401)

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

I’d love to see SAB as a standalone game. Especially because I have some friends with no interest in GW2 who would love it.

In fairness, GW2 is free now, and you can do SAB without really playing GW2. A level 2 character is all you need. And you don’t even need to download the whole game

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Reikken likely has the best answer there. I mean, think about it. Yes, SAB seems to be its own contained thing — but you are playing your GW2 character, same looks, movement, etc. So this “stand alone” would need full character creation support, wardrobe, etc.

Better to just start a free character and head into Rata Sum if SAB is all you want to play. At least, during the 19 days of the festival.

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: AysonCurrax.3254

AysonCurrax.3254

Reikken likely has the best answer there. I mean, think about it. Yes, SAB seems to be its own contained thing — but you are playing your GW2 character, same looks, movement, etc. So this “stand alone” would need full character creation support, wardrobe, etc.

Better to just start a free character and head into Rata Sum if SAB is all you want to play. At least, during the 19 days of the festival.

As far as i can remember, i never one played SAB because of how my character looks in it.
I have actually considered starting to work on an SAB clone, so maybe i ll get around to doing that. If they dont let us have it, then ill make my own SAB, with blackjack and bookahs.

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Yeah they could get a free GW2 account and play SAB 19 days a year. But I think a stand-alone game would be more appealing to people who like that sort of gameplay and aren’t interested in an MMORPG.

And I don’t see why it’d need a character creator and wardrobe, certainly not like GW2 has. It would actually make more sense to do something much more basic with SAB style characters.

Of course there would be some things that would need to be created new to make it work, like a launcher and a menu system to get you into the game, but it’d be a lot less work than making a brand new game and I’m sure it’d sell.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

I’d say implement it into the game itself just like story… however if that was done and people had regular access to it on a permanent basis, I think it would lose its appeal.

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: ofenstichloch.7623

ofenstichloch.7623

I’d even buy SAB as an optional 30$ expansion for GW2. It’s just awesome! I’d buy a portal to the SAB hub like the one for the Hall of Monuments for around 30$ if there was a world 3/4.

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As far as i can remember, i never one played SAB because of how my character looks in it.
I have actually considered starting to work on an SAB clone, so maybe i ll get around to doing that. If they dont let us have it, then ill make my own SAB, with blackjack and bookahs.

My point wasn’t the need for fashion but that SAB uses a lot of the main game’s physics and coding and that might not be easy to extract for a separate stand alone. If you need that much of the game anyway, why not just take a free character in to play? If you don’t care about looks you can Skip to End in creation and get something totally random.

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Not enough folks would pay for it. Really, they wouldn’t.

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Not enough folks would pay for it. Really, they wouldn’t.

Maybe not from the GW2 player base but if it was a proper game release aimed at general public at a competitive price point there might be more of a target audience out there.

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Yeah they could get a free GW2 account and play SAB 19 days a year. But I think a stand-alone game would be more appealing to people who like that sort of gameplay and aren’t interested in an MMORPG.

If they are not interested on an mmo, but are interested in 8bit platfotmers, dont they already have hudreds if not thousands of options to choose from?

SAB stand alone game?

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

If they are not interested on an mmo, but are interested in 8bit platfotmers, dont they already have hudreds if not thousands of options to choose from?

No. SAB is rather unique in that it’s 3D. For 3D platformers, there are N64 era games, and that’s pretty much it. Ever single retro styled platformer that gets released by the hundreds nowadays is 2D.