Seven nearest waypoints, all contested!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

And ALL the time. Unfortunately, I died in the Straits of Devastation. The worm spitting giant got me. So where can I rez? Fort Trinity!!! There were 7 other waypoints much closer but they are all contested, and they are always contested.

So I broke out my cell phone and began to play a game on it while waiting for a waypoint to become uncontested. I am still waiting. I wish there was a 30 minute time limit for waypoints to be contested.

those upper level maps are like that a lot I have noticed. Especially in unpopular areas (no dragons)

This is where we the players are suppose to be looking for the missions that don’t have a renown heart and taking these areas back for the NPCs.

I know it is a pain but we can only blame ourselves for the most part. This is how the game was designed to be played.

If you see a contested waypoint try and take it back before you go deeper into the map like I do.

Sometimes it is solo-able but not always

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

Guys, this is “player actions having an effect on the world” just like in the manifesto. This is them keeping their promise.

Not bug. Feature.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I am missing one skill point in Orr (Grenth Temple) to get 100% completion of world maps except WvW. All day I have run around like a blue shirt no name in Star Trek dying at the hands of the zombies. That particular temple has been contested all day. I tried to do the sneak in and grab the point while the pet distracts… no go. I tried a more direct running in and obviously that ended badly too. Frustrating how hard it can be to solo Orr and mostly because there just aren’t that many people. I helped a few today and had my butt saved by a few as well. Putting a champion on one of the skill points was a jaw dropper but luckily a group ran by and helped me out.
The areas are just too empty. I need to hire some thugs to help out or at least be my meat shields while I run in and get my shiny blue/gold chest. :P

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

Go figure, player scream they want tough content and then when presented with it they turn tail and run. In the 30 minutes you’ve been pouting you could have gotten back to where you were and uncontested at least one of those nodes. And why were you taking on the giant solo?

Because it can be soloed : )

They’re right though, the best events required large numbers which simply are not there.

Hopefully patches will add better rewards in the zone, because DR punishes Players because bots are present, and and ascended gear in FotM have punished the playerbase who don’t want to do FotM.

Posted by: LightningLockey.5938

LightningLockey.5938

I’d highly recommend playing on the Shiverpeack Maps as there are more players due to the dragon that spawns there, Claw of Jormeg. Straits of Devastation (along with most <80 maps) is dead content.

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

Guys, this is “player actions having an effect on the world” just like in the manifesto. This is them keeping their promise.

Not bug. Feature.

Yes but if you ever played other MMOs such as WoW, as time goes on areas become deserted. It WILL happen here and soon (already started) so few people will be going to these zones that “player actions having an effect on the world” will turn into a negative thing for the game.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

So….rez, repair and run/swim back to where you were. What is the problem? It would be better if there was only one waypoint per zone anyway. Just put it in the middle of each zone.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

(edited by Raf.1078)

krojack.4920

So….rez, repair and run/swim back to where you were. What is the problem? It would be better if there was only one waypoint per zone anyway. Just put it in the middle of each zone.

The point is, many events, and some quest/skill challenges require a group or large group of people to complete. It’s already getting to the point people can’t experience the full zone due to no one around to help.

Krosslite.1950

The point is, many events, and some quest/skill challenges require a group or large group of people to complete. It’s already getting to the point people can’t experience the full zone due to no one around to help.

please see my post above. since it appears you ignored it by restating this.

Also get in a good guild and work with them.

Like what someone else said this is how the game was made. It is up to us to do the work.

So do it. I have done it and plan to continue to do so.

Additionally. Don’t bother going to Orr cause you will get no where with this attitude.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

krojack.4920

please see my post above. since it appears you ignored it by restating this.

Also get in a good guild and work with them.

Like what someone else said this is how the game was made. It is up to us to do the work.

So do it. I have done it and plan to continue to do so.

Additionally. Don’t bother going to Orr cause you will get no where with this attitude.

I’ve been there, finished everything within the first month. I’m standing up for the new people just starting the game.

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

Guild won’t change a thing.

Most players will already have Orr completed or just not interested in doing useless things.
Flawed game design is flawed.

EU Aurora Glade

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

The problem is one of pure numbers, plain and simple. There are servers out there where there are hardly ever enough people in a zone to tackle even non-champion dynamic events. I logged on tonight during prime time, went to Cursed Shore and found – maybe – three other people in the entire zone – with every possible contested waypoint in all three Orr maps contested.

Bottom line – we need more people in the zones and, on some servers, that just isn’t going to happen. Not sure what the solution to the issue is (other than server merges or “underflow” server), but it is severely hurting the fun factor of the game – especially compared to the early days after launch.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

70-75, 75-80 and 80+ zone all were made in a way that events are happening pretty much all the time. They were designed for 60 people to be running them constantly. Unfortunately this is a design flaw. 80+ zone will always have people, however the sheer amount of always contested waypoints and enemies with AoE everywhere made 70-75, 75-80 zones really undesirable. If people are out there to level, they’ll do it in the 70-80 zone that is player friendly and has a fun dragon event. I’m trying to get the full map too, so unfortunately I have to run those places, barely gotten past 70-75 zone today and raged at 75-80 zone. Tomorrow I’m going to continue trough it raging. Really those two zones should cut down on the enemy/ event numbers, because otherwise there will never be enough players in there to actually do them, because they will simply feel repulsed by the difficulty of it.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

This is a problem with all games featuring dynamic style events. The people eventually thin our and/or spread out and the DEs take over from lack of players. This reality should be taken into account when the game is designed so that DEs scale down to one or two players when there aren’t enough people.

Groups events that always remain groups events once launch is over is rather short-sighted.

Krosslite.1950

Well I did read somewhere (sorry for not knowing exacctly) that Anet said they would atively watch how DEs work in each area and then add/remove/change. It maybe we are getting close to a change in DEs in some areas.
We may have to wait til after the new year or maybe in wintersday

Posted by: ocfallwind.4821

ocfallwind.4821

This is a problem with all games featuring dynamic style events. The people eventually thin our and/or spread out and the DEs take over from lack of players. This reality should be taken into account when the game is designed so that DEs scale down to one or two players when there aren’t enough people.

Groups events that always remain groups events once launch is over is rather short-sighted.

Agree. Especially when ANet has been introducing new content that suck many players to a certain area. It’s one thing to be lore-oriented. It’s another to restrict playability.

Mirta.5029

Agree. Especially when ANet has been introducing new content that suck many players to a certain area. It’s one thing to be lore-oriented. It’s another to restrict playability.

well I still see players everywhere where I usually am used to seeing them, it’s just that those places that were never heavily populated now only feature 1 or 2 people.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I think it more server specific though. I run into people all the time on TC. But its a full server. Might be pretty lonely on lesser populated servers. That said…you can always change servers.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

no offense, but the contested system is a little wonky anyway… Why are players gonna be in certain areas of Orr (or other maps) if there’s generally nothing going on and nothing to tell them stuff is happening other than noticing a point is contested on the map (or someone happens to be in the area and shouts out in map chat)?

Most people like the upper half of Orr because it has a solid rotation of things going on. You can hardly say that for the lower half (and Grenth is over to the west on it’s own island)…. and events spit out uniform karma/xp/gold rewards regardless of duration/challenge.

If, somehow, doing or not doing DEs from other zones impacted other zones…. you might get a little more movement. Horizontal progression usually is effective when actions have real consequences… not minor inconveniences

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I think it more server specific though. I run into people all the time on TC. But its a full server. Might be pretty lonely on lesser populated servers. That said…you can always change servers.

On my server (Fort Aspenwood), I have run around OR for well over 4 hours farming and did not see 1 single player besides myself. I already have it 100% mapped, and I was able to get my karma armor from the 1 single temple that was not contested, and luckely it was the one I wanted so it’s not really an issue for me.

Changing servers is not a good option for anyone in a guild or anyone who plays with friends as you may not be able to change back when you want to, and you would have to wait a week regardless.

They may have designed it this way, and it’s working “as intended”, and did work with higher player populations, but that is not the case now. If an area is unplayable, there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Anet has done this before. In GW1, when an area became to easy due to some creative builds, they modified the area to match the current player base. There is no differance here. The player base is different, so they need to modify the area to match the current player base.

Posted by: Leowan.4389

Leowan.4389

I can understand your frustration, however the Orr zones (Straits of Devastation, Malchor’s Leap, Cursed Shore) are my favorite zones in the game. I love my daily runs through those zones. collecting my daily Orichalcum Ore, Ancient Wood Logs, and Omnomberries. I like that there is so much danger there, that there is more of a consequence of dying there – a possibly long run, or waiting around with the hope that someone will stop to revive you. I love the challenge and I hope they don’t change it.

I will say I think the Temple/God karma areas could use a little balancing. Last night 20+ people were not able to take down Melandru after over an hour, however later that night myself and a Thief successfully 2-manned Dwayna…

Leowan (Ranger) / Patrel Braveling (Thief) / Agusta Steelton (Guardian) / Danner Braveling (Warrior)

Posted by: Carltonbanks.1754

Carltonbanks.1754

There is a guy you can talk to as soon as you enter orr. He advises you that it is best done in a group. That should tell you something.

Yeah, it tells me there’s a problem when there are no groups to be found.

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

This is one thing that absolutely HAS to go.

Yes I do understand it’s part of the whole, “You’re an invading army in an area the enemy really does not want to give up” theme but if it is something that denies a player the ability to go somewhere they should be able to, it is bad design.

User will be infracted for this post.

Posted by: End.8794

End.8794

I can understand your frustration, however the Orr zones (Straits of Devastation, Malchor’s Leap, Cursed Shore) are my favorite zones in the game. I love my daily runs through those zones. collecting my daily Orichalcum Ore, Ancient Wood Logs, and Omnomberries. I like that there is so much danger there, that there is more of a consequence of dying there – a possibly long run, or waiting around with the hope that someone will stop to revive you. I love the challenge and I hope they don’t change it.

I will say I think the Temple/God karma areas could use a little balancing. Last night 20+ people were not able to take down Melandru after over an hour, however later that night myself and a Thief successfully 2-manned Dwayna…

You’re very lucky one. Not only you had 20+ people in that zone but also had experienced working Melandru event. On my server everyone’s at fractals and Orr is a ghost town. I’ve been trying to get Melandru temple uncontested for a couple of days now, but guess what…starting event is bugged. Funny thing is that there are barely any players apart from bots that are constantly farming other bugged event.

I don’t understand one thing. How is it possible that there was no one to connect two simple facts, that funneling ppl into fractals will have impact on the rest of the game?

Posted by: LightningLockey.5938

LightningLockey.5938

End,

My guess is that the developers are used to thinking in terms of static events/content. Being that this game is much more dynamic (and the only reason why I didn’t give up and quit at this point) that no one really knew how to take new content into consideration. From the Question and Answer on Reddit, apparently they are going to be scaling back dynamic events to better suite one or two players.

Posted by: Hologramx.6402

Hologramx.6402

The most serious problem is, there is no safety route to tour the map at all. You need a group to move further into the next zone unless you already have full exotics and play specific professions such as warrior/guardian. Then, everyone keep repeating the same events, no one is willing to move deeper into the zone.

It is only pain to trying to move deeper into the zone.

It is only pain to move around to find things to do, event or mining or harvesting or anything else.

This is what makes these 3 maps the places that most people wants to avoid.

An end-game zone that hardly anyone wants to visit and stay? That’s the last thing you want to implement in an MMORPG.

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

Orr could be awesome if it was carefully balanced out to compensate for the fact that there just aren’t as many players anymore. Some incentive to keep waypoints uncontested would also help. I know the game can be kinda stingy with rewards, but a few silver or a little chest with a small reward wouldn’t hurt.

Just getting rid of the pull would help a lot for solo players. I was trying to get to a story mission and had to run through a huge group of Orrians to do it. One pulled me, I stood up.. and was immediately pulled again. I got yanked around like this right on standing five times, never having an opportunity to move away from them. I dropped two turrets to try to distract them, managed to roll away, and purposely jumped off a cliff and into the sea to escape. I preferred climbing out and working my way back to the instance marker over dealing with the clusterkitten up above.. Plus I’m saving, and didn’t really want to pay out for a far away waypoint, or armour repair. I can’t play with my guild all of the time, and I know it’s the same for a lot of other players. And you can’t rely on a stranger to save your backside. I try to help people who are in trouble, but I do not expect the same. People have things to do.

I honestly dread going through Orr for my map completion, I’m kinda putting it off and doing lower level zones first.

Posted by: kenco.8475

kenco.8475

I used to contest WP’s in Malchor’s Leap but found it to be a pointless exercise as as soon as you went anywhere the WP you contested was re-contested and I couldn’t be bothered to fight my way back to contest it again.
The main reason I’ve stopped going to orr is that it is just Risen, Risen and more Risen, might as well play Resident Evil on console……..

Posted by: Twomix.5384

Twomix.5384

Managed to get to all the corrupted temple of the gods today. Spend the whole day doing it. Good thing our server is pretty active in such events. Most other servers are pretty much dead.

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

You can always go and fight to uncontest the waypoint. You could even ask in /map for people to help out too. I’m sure there are people that want those waypoints to get uncontested too… maybe they just need a point person to rally around.

And 20 minutes, or less, later those waypoints are contested again.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

The most serious problem is, there is no safety route to tour the map at all. You need a group to move further into the next zone unless you already have full exotics and play specific professions such as warrior/guardian. Then, everyone keep repeating the same events, no one is willing to move deeper into the zone.

It is only pain to trying to move deeper into the zone.

It is only pain to move around to find things to do, event or mining or harvesting or anything else.

This is what makes these 3 maps the places that most people wants to avoid.

An end-game zone that hardly anyone wants to visit and stay? That’s the last thing you want to implement in an MMORPG.

Plus Anet slips in some doozys like the skill point at Gallows Hang being guarded by a friggin Champion!

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Posted by: Seraki.2753

Seraki.2753

Yup this kind of thing is my number one complaint at the moment but not just way points but champions hanging around for days , events rolling out so fast they are on top of each other , ect.

Some of the zones are acting like they are on steroids and I’m tempted to ask who let the gremlins in to run the game?

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

I think the biggest problem with the contested waypoints comes from the defend events happening too soon after capture, and that event making the waypoint be contested again.

If a group does take over waypoint A, by the time they fight to waypoint B, waypoint A is being contested again because the defend event starts in a matter of minutes. Your group is busy taking over waypoint B, so all you can really do is ask for others to defend waypoint A. The problem is that A, B, and the other nearby waypoints are all contested, so no one can get there fast enough before A’s defense fails and the event resets again.

One change that could make this a lot better is making the waypoints not contested while the defend events are active. This would give players a chance to actually get to the area and defend it. Having these events marked on the world map for anyone in the zone (instead of just nearby players) would also make more players aware that the waypoint is being attacked. Doing this on the compass/mini-map would be too much clutter, but world map should be fine showing full-zone event data, at least for waypoint control events.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

Working as intended.

Bad design.
Very bad design if you think everyone’s just doing fractals.

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

weird, this is almost word for word identical to a thread I saw over a month ago. You wouldn’t happen to be re-posting something you already talked about before, would you?

Posted by: Amonde Daneren.2380

Amonde Daneren.2380

So why is this a problem? You don’t HAVE to play in Orr, or visit the maps. You can just go to Queensdale, or Plains of Ashford, or any of the other zone of the map.
Stop asking for everything to be handed to you. If you WANT to do the maps, then you have to work for them.

Mirta.5029

So why is this a problem? You don’t HAVE to play in Orr, or visit the maps. You can just go to Queensdale, or Plains of Ashford, or any of the other zone of the map.
Stop asking for everything to be handed to you. If you WANT to do the maps, then you have to work for them.

if you want full world completion, then you HAVE to enter Orr. It’s also a pain in the butt when you’re running trough ALL of it just to reach the level 80 zone. Those two maps (70-75, 75-80) suffer a really bad design and are intended for a lot of players to be running them constantly.

Posted by: Hologramx.6402

Hologramx.6402

The worst part is they left many things like this for THREE MONTHS!
I saw so many terrible imbalances 3 months ago, and I am still seeing almost all of them now. Orr is only a part of them. Many events out there are still swarming a solo player with non-stop waves of 5+ mobs, sometimes 10+.
My experience improves a lot in 3 months, but the game seems to only have received improvement of 3 days work.

Posted by: Black Regent.5897

Black Regent.5897

Just logged in and tried to go to Orr. Third time in a row I got bumped all the way back to Pagga’s because the one waypoint that wasn’t contested when I clicked became contested during the time I was being teleported. Spent almost 2 silver to get NOWHERE NEAR where I wanted to be.

Contested waypoints need to completely go away in PvE. It’s obvious it’s just another thing that just does not work well.

Posted by: Amonde Daneren.2380

Amonde Daneren.2380

if you want full world completion, then you HAVE to enter Orr. It’s also a pain in the butt when you’re running trough ALL of it just to reach the level 80 zone. Those two maps (70-75, 75-80) suffer a really bad design and are intended for a lot of players to be running them constantly.

You can play the game without world completion, you don’t NEED it.
Get a guild, or go get a group in LA if you can’t solo it.

Mirta.5029

nobody can solo it. I was lucky to catch a busy day when there was a whole 10 people there. We retook the Lissa place by every single waypoint having one of us defending it and 7 of us attacking the boss. That was tough as hell. It’s not a problem of “you don’t have to” it’s a problem of that zone is not balanced and always lacks population. To be honest I only wanted to get the full explore once. My other characters will never set foot in there. Most people think that way and it’s a pity, because there’s extra nodes of ori there and if more people would actually go there we would probably see ori and tier 6 mats prices decreasing.

Posted by: Black Regent.5897

Black Regent.5897

Your “solution” is for people to not play huge parts of the game because they’re not balanced for the number of players that actually visit the zone. That’s not a solution. Now stop posting it.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Since fractals that’s all i see as well.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Not bug. Feature.

Yes, i know. Good in theory, in this case didn’t work that well in practice.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Mirta.5029

Since fractals that’s all i see as well.

I’ve been seeing that before fractals to be honest. Besides the first month Orr never had people there.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

nobody can solo it.

False.

I went into Orr with my ranger and obtained virtually every map location and skill point solo. And the only times I didn’t get something solo, it was only because other players stumbled onto the scene at the same time as me.

It is entirely possible. You just have to be clever, take your time, and be very, very careful about your movement so you don’t pull excessive mobs. >_>

That said, I remember being extremely put off by the waypoint contesting in Orr. It’s very frustrating when the map is full of contested waypoints, and most events to retake them are not designed to be defeated solo. It just tells me that events need to be redesigned in general. The “meaningful impact on the world” thing is great and all, as is the notion of “naturally formed groups”, but designing the end portion of your game around zergs that may or may not be coming is not good design. Events need to be scaled such that it is difficult, but entirely possible to beat them solo if you’re skilled. That would give players like me a sense of achievement when I clear out a camp solo, while still keeping content difficult as intended.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: sonicsix.5713

sonicsix.5713

I feel my days are numbered with GW2. When things become more annoying than fun, it is time to move on. I did get an email from WoW offering me free game time to come back to them.

Mirta.5029

nobody can solo it.

False.

I went into Orr with my ranger and obtained virtually every map location and skill point solo. And the only times I didn’t get something solo, it was only because other players stumbled onto the scene at the same time as me.

It is entirely possible. You just have to be clever, take your time, and be very, very careful about your movement so you don’t pull excessive mobs. >_>

That said, I remember being extremely put off by the waypoint contesting in Orr. It’s very frustrating when the map is full of contested waypoints, and most events to retake them are not designed to be defeated solo. It just tells me that events need to be redesigned in general. The “meaningful impact on the world” thing is great and all, as is the notion of “naturally formed groups”, but designing the end portion of your game around zergs that may or may not be coming is not good design. Events need to be scaled such that it is difficult, but entirely possible to beat them solo if you’re skilled. That would give players like me a sense of achievement when I clear out a camp solo, while still keeping content difficult as intended.

how did you solo Lissa to get the skill point she sits on if you need to guard 3 places while doing damage to her?

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Theres no incentive to go to Orr or anywhere else in the game aside from map completion or daily karma jug everything you need is in Fracture (misspelled on purpose because all the dungeon has done is fracture and segregate the player base). You’ll earn more gold per hour running the dungeon that you would running DE’s or farming t6 mats so all you’ll need to do is play the TP for more gold and your T6 mats.

The whole Lost Shore update and everything changed and manipulated since release such as DE farming , Loot DR, Bot policing has been a complete boondoggle all in the name of corporate greed.

Mirta.5029

Theres no incentive to go to Orr or anywhere else in the game aside from map completion or daily karma jug everything you need is in Fracture (misspelled on purpose because all the dungeon has done is fracture and segregate the player base). You’ll earn more gold per hour running the dungeon that you would running DE’s or farming t6 mats so all you’ll need to do is play the TP for more gold and your T6 mats.

The whole Lost Shore update and everything changed and manipulated since release such as DE farming , Loot DR, Bot policing has been a complete boondoggle all in the name of corporate greed.

except that plenty of us are leveling out there really calmly and Orr never had a lot of people in it, because it’s a painful zone…