[SUGGESTION] Hand health features

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Here are some changes that I think should be done to improve hand health while playing this game:

Crafting improvements:

Inventory improvements:

• All remaining one-time instant effect consumables like essences of luck, drinks that count for thirst slayer and potions of karma should get the Consume All context menu entry.
  • All containers, bags, boxes and packaged goods that produce random loot on use should get a right click context menu option to “Open all”. Choosing that option would open a small panel that looks like the bottom half of the crafting window in the crafting panel, with a progress bar and a cancel button, and stopping automatically if the inventory is full.
  • Transferring items between the bank and the inventory should require single clicks from the bank panel. Same with the collections panel.
  • Hidden tabs or closed bags should be ignored when transferring items between the ban and the inventory by clicking them.
  • Empty slots in invisible bags should be the last to be filled by the system (e.g.: Looted items, crafter items, items from loot bags…). If there’s any other empty slot in the inventory, getting an item should put it in hat other slot instead, giving priority to the player to use invisible bag slots.

Salvage improvements

• An option to bypass the salvage confirmation dialog could be added. For example, once this option is enabled, clicking with Shift+click with the salvage cursor prompt would not make the confirmation appear.

Autoattack improvement

• When a ground-targeted skill has auto-attack enabled, holding the left mouse button or skill key down should keep the ground target marker visible and attempt to continuously use that skill on the target marker instead having to repeatedly press them.
  • A toggle option could be added. So using the skill once starts autoattacking, and using the skill again stops autoattacking, instead having to holster the weapon to stop.

Autotarget improvement:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/SUGGESTION-Hand-health-features/3835695

Toggleable Ctrl and Alt:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Hand-health-features/3839248
(I ran out of space!)

What other features you think could be added to reduce strain in our hands while playing?

Done!

• You can disable activating objects with right clik in the options panel!
  • We can salvage in bulk!
  • When transferring stackable items from and to the bank, the client searches for stacks of the same item, and tries to send then directly to the stack!
  • Vendors got a spinner and number boxes to buy in bulk!
  • Recipes from consumables are now account bound (except a few bugged ones, report those if you find them!)!
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

If only

/10chars

Posted by: Azure Moonfire.7493

Azure Moonfire.7493

Can’t think of any other ideas, but as a sufferer of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, I support all these suggestions.

Posted by: Lifeson.4352

Lifeson.4352

At first I thought you wanted more hand-helding features, whatever that is, but I agree.

They should also add an option to “always deposit to bank”, it’s really annoying to keep having to click the “deposit to bank” (that’s 2 clicks btw) when you’re opening stacks of lootbags and your bags constantly fill up.

Posted by: virtualtourist.6438

virtualtourist.6438

I’d like to see an option to toggle mouse look, instead of having to hold down left/right mouse button to rotate the camera.

Right-click once to activate camera rotation, right-click again to disable. Ground targeted skills could be a problem, but perhaps they could always orient along the camera’s z-axis and moving the mouse away/toward you will adjust the distance of the AoE.

Posted by: hedition.7261

hedition.7261

Anet had considered our gaming health and I truly appreciate that.

I like the R key autorun feature. It saved my finger/wrist muscle.
And the autocast function for skills.

There are also 10 ob shards and icy runestones. But I hope there are more options for other items as well. Like sometimes to fulfill the karma vendor dailies, I buy karma food ingredients which I have to click many times as well.

And like the OP said using essense, pots and bags in stacks requires strain on finger muscle. Of course opening 250 bags at a go requires lots of free inv space.

For some who doesn’t know, Microsoft Accessibility allows you to assign mouse click to a key on the keyboard. I assigned it to NumPad 5 with NumLock off. I still have to double tap the keys but it is healthier than clicking the mouse.

Posted by: Menaki.6329

Menaki.6329

Crafting: It would be nice to have a redirect to the receipt of the missing item, instead of scrolling through all receipts or writing the name in the search window. Also a button to close all item categories would be useful.

[KILL] – Jade Quarry

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

+1

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

As someone with ulnar nerve damage, things OP suggests would be nice.

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

+1 to all, but mostly to “Open all”.

I would suggest a real auto-loot function that loots mobs on kill and does not force us to repeatedly press F to revive dead, to pick up banners and to talk to NPCs instead of looting.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: kylwilson.9137

kylwilson.9137

Reducing the amount of skills that area ground-targeted. Looking at you, Grenade Kit.

\o/

Posted by: hedition.7261

hedition.7261

Reducing the amount of skills that area ground-targeted. Looking at you, Grenade Kit.

There is an option for ground targeting where you can cast on where your cursor is pointing. Only downside is you can’t see the aoe circle before you cast.

It is a must have for me.

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

There is an option for ground targeting where you can cast on where your cursor is pointing. Only downside is you can’t see the aoe circle before you cast.

They also made a third option available a while ago. It’s like fast targeting, but you see the circle while you hold the skill’s button. It’s the best choice IMO.

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

Seems ironic that they would encourage the use of auto-clickers.

Posted by: kylwilson.9137

kylwilson.9137

This system is still horrible though for anyone who uses extensive use of the mouse. (I don’t click skills generally though, just to clear that up :P)

\o/

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

One thing they did was they went backwards in menus when they started gw2. In gw1 we had the option to buy multiple of an item from a merchant.

Also not sure if you guys have noticed but icy runestones and obsidian shards can be bought in stacks of 10 at a time. But still doesn’t stop the fact that I want to buy say 250 in one go without having to click a jillion times.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Also not sure if you guys have noticed but icy runestones and obsidian shards can be bought in stacks of 10 at a time. But still doesn’t stop the fact that I want to buy say 250 in one go without having to click a jillion times.

I noticed this the last time I went to Balthazar. Very nice. 10x less clicking is 10x less clicking.

Also pro tip – when buying multiple items of the same type, click on the item on the list and then click the “BUY” button in the lower right corner. Saves you half the clicks compared to double clicking on the item line.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Mishee.5719

Mishee.5719

Having a notification when a buddy loggs on would be awesome. I sometimes miss when my friends loggs on. I don’t always remebers to check “Y”.

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

Having a notification when a buddy loggs on would be awesome. I sometimes miss when my friends loggs on. I don’t always remebers to check “Y”.

That notification already exists as an option in the chat panel. I think it is “Game Messages”

Guild warrior for life!

MithranArkanere.8957

Thanks. You reminded me of something. I’ll add it right away.

Autotarget improvement:

• Give each skill an individual autotarget setting. The copies of a skill (e.g. PvP/PvE splits) would share its setting.
  • A mouse-key combination (e.g. Alt+Right click) would cycle the setting for a skill from between “Default”, “Always autotarget” and “Never autotarget”. Default will listen to the current setting in options, and all skills would start set to “Default”.
  • Skills with autotarget enabled are indicated visually. For example, by having their number’s color reversed (white background black number instead black background white number)
  • Skills that require an individual target and have no effect at all unless there’s a target (eg.: Flamestrike, Ghastly Claws, most Phantasm skills…) will be considered to have always autotarget on, and not and respond the to command to switch, as there’s no point on disabling it for them. Note that skills that can have a target for certain effects but also have effects with no target (e.g.: Clone) would not be included in this.
  • Skills that require no target like skills that affect self and PBAoE skills would be consiered to be always off, and also not respond to the autotarget toggle command, as it’s pointless for them.
  • Ground-target skills will behave differently with autotarget manually enabled for them. When autotarget is enabled for them, instead requiring picking a target, they’ll automatically aim at the location the target was when the skill started activating, like GW1’s long range AoE skills. With a global autotarget on but the skill set to Default or Never autotarget, they will still behave like now, requiring the player to pick a target, based on the Ground Targetting setting.

This way, you can disable it individually for skills that behave better without autattack, and enable it for skills that behave well for you with autoattack, doing things like, for example:

• With Flamethrower, enable autotarget for Flame Blast, so it goes for targets more easily, but disable it for Flame Jet, so you can move around without the character awkwardly trying to turn towards the target while you move around.
  • With a warrior greatsword, you would be able to disable it 1,2 and 3, but enable it for 4 and 5 to make aiming with those easier without locking on a target with the cleave attacks.
    And so on.

This should greatly improve responsiveness and reduce strain from having skills that work better with autotarget on and skills that do not work so well, and require less manual targetting for better responsiveness.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

+1 to all, but mostly to “Open all”.

I would suggest a real auto-loot function that loots mobs on kill and does not force us to repeatedly press F to revive dead, to pick up banners and to talk to NPCs instead of looting.

Go into options, scroll down to where it says Autoloot, PUT IN a bind key. I have mine bound to R with autorun disabled. The reason F is autoloot is because you need to be on top of a dead mob to get the interact option, which would be autoloot. If you set a bind key for autoloot, pressing that key instead does the looting. That removes the need to pick up someone who didnt know how to dodge because they’re lying on your loot.

MithranArkanere.8957

Go into options, scroll down to where it says Autoloot, PUT IN a bind key. I have mine bound to R with autorun disabled. The reason F is autoloot is because you need to be on top of a dead mob to get the interact option, which would be autoloot. If you set a bind key for autoloot, pressing that key instead does the looting. That removes the need to pick up someone who didnt know how to dodge because they’re lying on your loot.

I recommend setting it to Shift+F. That way you don’t have to get used to some other key far from WADS, just to use the middle finger to press Shift for autoloot, and the little finger should be around there anyways while the hand is on WADS, so you don’t have to move the hand around.

Same for lefthanded with the right shift.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

However I’m using AoE auto-loot at the moment. I’ll check if I can actually separate interact key and loot key later today.

I recommend setting it to Shift+F. That way you don’t have to get used to some other key far from WADS, just to use the middle finger to press Shift for autoloot, and the little finger should be around there anyways while the hand is on WADS, so you don’t have to move the hand around.

Same for lefthanded with the right shift.

`, Tab, Caps Lock, Shift, Ctrl, Win, Alt are already occupied :P

20 level 80s and counting.

MithranArkanere.8957

I use Ctrl and Alt, but Shift I leave for… well.. Shifted keys.

Shift+R to toggle walk, Shift+F to autoloot, Shift+Tab to open the map… Shift+T to cancel the target… Lots of keys in one.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

I like these suggestions.

The major type of keyboard/mouse activity that triggers my particular issues is having to hold keys/buttons down for extended periods of time. So I’d like to see:

• Click-release-and-drag as an option for camera movement, as opposed to the current click-hold-and-drag functionality we’re limited to. Camera movement is the major cause of wear and tear on my mouse hand.
  • Ability to enable/toggle nameplates for objects as per the current options for player names, enemy names etc. I like to see the labels to avoid missing anything nearby, so I tend to play with the Ctrl key permanently held down on my left hand by habit. It’d be nice to be able to give my pinkie a break.

As a bonus, some shortcuts I really appreciate:

• Auto-attack
  • Auto-run. One of the major reasons I’m still able to play at all.
  • Other labels/nameplates being toggle options in the settings

MithranArkanere.8957

Oh, yeah. I can’t believe I forgot that one.

I had something like that somewhere….
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Feedback:User/MithranArkanere

Here it is.

I suggested that back in GW1. I really wish GW1 had that too. You can’t even toggle enemy and allie names on permanently in options, so you have to hold the key all the time. It’s way more annoying than GW2.

• Toggle-able Control and Alt"
    • A new setting would be added to the General Options tab. While checked, the “Show enemy names” and “Show ally Names” (Bound by defult to Left Ctrl and Left Alt) will be toggle-able, instead having to hold the buttons down to keep the names of objects shown.
    • This would world separately to the “Show X”setting in the options panel, overriding unchecked options, but not checked ones. For example, if you have set to show enemies, hide NPC and show players, toggling show enemies on with Ctrl would show NPC enemies because the NPC setting is unchecked, and toggling show allies off with Alt would not hide allied players because allies are checked.
    • Alternatively, new keys could be added to the Keybindings list to toggle these options, so people can keys to these options and keep temporary, pressed keys if they want to

And for the camera… I don’t think that can be done without something like a crosshair, as moving the camera hides the cursor, and you often need the thing while playing.

There’s people suggesting something like the Combat mode. I think it’ll be better to focus on that for that particular case.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

CTS surgery is pretty much out-patient these days and will cure you.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

MithranArkanere.8957

Prevention is always better than treatment.

Why going to CTS surgery if you can instead be mindful of the keys and make software and devices healthy for your hands?

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

Posted by: The Revenant.4970

The Revenant.4970

As a chiropractor, who has treated countless of people who had failed CTS surgery, that is a VERY ignorant statement.

If they reduced the amount of ground targeting skills, the game would be much more controller friendly and could even then be ported over to consoles someday. It will take some skill out of combat though.

(edited by The Revenant.4970)

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

We’re not trying to avoid the fact that having to undergo surgery because you played a video game is ridiculous, right?

Also, @OP, I don’t know about the autotarget changes but the rest of them are just downright needed at this point.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

It’s not always (and often isn’t) carpal tunnel syndrome. CTS is the go-to diagnosis but you’d be surprised how often bad posture and poor ergonomics are the cause of hand/arm pain and numbness. You can also get other nerve compression conditions like cubital tunnel syndrome and thoracic outlet syndrome. Then there are other conditions like tendonitis, arthritis, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and other things that aren’t nearly so treatable. Even CTS surgery doesn’t come without risks – operating on and around nerves is always dangerous.

In my case, it isn’t anything that can be easily treated with surgery, so every little ergonomic control system tweak helps.

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Click to move. You click a spot and your character automatically goes there.,

MithranArkanere.8957

I must bring this up again.

Why?

Because of Silky Sand.

After getting quite some of those, I was reminded of how annoying and potentially dangerous constant clicking is.
And the more you get the worse it gets. We could really use ideas like these to reduce strain in our hands.

Save the hands! They are needed for lots of important stuff!

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Click to move. You click a spot and your character automatically goes there.,

I hated that part of GW1, do not want.

But to the OP, yes to all of that. Sounds like some things we need.

(edited by khani.4786)

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

GW2 reviews in future:

“I DEVELOPED CARPAL TUNNEL PLAYING THIS GAME , 10/10”

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

All great ideas. +1

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: Wonderly.1324

Wonderly.1324

“Every time a recipe is used for the first time in the Mystic Forge, it should be added to a list, much like with the other crafting panels.”

I agree with that

Posted by: jovman.7598

jovman.7598

I support this anet please make this happen

Posted by: Alexphos.6302

Alexphos.6302

Am I the only one getting tired of “click then sell, click then sell” method on the Trading Post or am I doing it wrong :|

Either way I think it would be more convenient if there was check boxes next to each item that we click and then we can sell them all with one click at the end…

Posted by: AcFiBu.9624

AcFiBu.9624

I think most to all of these are good suggestions. Another lil quality of life improvement I’d like to see is the ability to search in collectables tab. That and move the T6 mats to the end of the T5 ones where it makes sense. Instead of moving them all to the right side.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Am I the only one getting tired of “click then sell, click then sell” method on the Trading Post or am I doing it wrong :|

Either way I think it would be more convenient if there was check boxes next to each item that we click and then we can sell them all with one click at the end…

A slight problem with this kind of feature is that prices will change in real time as you’re using the TP, so you might miss something in a long list of selections.

It could work but you’d have to keep an eye out in case a buy order falls through or something.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: Kaireno.3824

Kaireno.3824

The autotarget and crafting improvements would be nice, but what is really necessary is better itembuy from vendor and open-all. Those clicks are so annoying. Just remembering the old times of orrian jewelry boxes makes me feel the pain in my hand…

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Open/use all is definately needed already. I also like the idea of having ctrl or alt “on” permanently. Would make searching a lot of things easier.

Posted by: Inverted.7439

Inverted.7439

I clicked on this thread to “mock” how silly it sounded at first then on my scroll down I realized my hand actually has been pretty screwed up lately -.-

Posted by: Siobhan.6027

Siobhan.6027

im sure theyd rather sell you this stuff in the gemstore rather than provide it for free.

also rip my kittening hand. it hurts all the kittening time thanks to this trash game.

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

A simple one I don’t see suggested: Stop with the ‘OK’ clicks when selling on the TP. You cannot say ‘not ok’ or ‘wait’. you just have to click ‘ok’ each time. It does nothing but make you have another click.

Follow would be a good feature, too.

Posted by: Megis.9264

Megis.9264

I see a few I suggested ages ago, so a definite +1.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Excellent suggestions.

Posted by: Vegadonis.9154

Vegadonis.9154

Drag and drop can be used for transferring items from the the bank and also moving items from your inventory to the mystic forge.

Posted by: Aelaren.3784

Aelaren.3784

Allow to mark favourite recipes and then choose to only show favourite in craft list.