[SUGGESTION] Hand health features

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rawr Mooseborne.9108

Rawr Mooseborne.9108

Some great suggestions. I could continue surviving without most of them, but the missing finger-saving features like vendor spinners, “open/use all” and perma Ctrl/Alt are getting more and more irritating, really turning into major issues for me.

Posted by: Maliel.8362

Maliel.8362

Too late, already had carpal tunnel surgery.

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

I’m all for ease of access but for everything else, there’s..
cough

Autoclicker.

Säïnt

Posted by: Afro Dude.8423

Afro Dude.8423

Definitely some good suggestions here. I would love to see a lot of these ideas come to fruition.

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

Seconded, seconded, and seconded.

Just want to note (and it’s been said before) that grenade kit is a pain in the kitten to use- would be very nice if skill 1 were semi-auto-attack IE after throwing a grenade skill, when in combat, it queued another skill #1 by default, so I could click to throw while continuing movement, instead of having to spam 1-click-1-click while also using my WASD movement (I only have so many fingers on my left hand).

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Posted by: Ryuu.5608

Ryuu.5608

Definitely, fully support on this one. And, although there are scripts and the “autoclicker” for some of those who can’t stand clicking repeatedly all the time, Anet doesn’t allow its use entirely (see ICM Mod). I’d like to see some opinion from the devs whether these QoL options can be integrated or not.

Posted by: Dyrus.6507

Dyrus.6507

i totaly agree with everything he said. pls make this happen !

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I just read a really nice addition by tso in the GW2 reddit.

• When a ground-targeted skill has auto-attack enabled, holding the left mouse button or skill key down should attempt to continuously use that skill on the target marker instead having to continuously press.

This would certainly reduce the strain from spamming skills like Grenade while keeping the freedom of the ground target marker.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: cherrycola.3127

cherrycola.3127

As someone who literally did develop an RSI from playing GW2, all these things would be great…

It’s a wonderful game but man is it tough on the hands/wrists.

The biggest one for me is having to hold down right-click to move camera all the time. After a little while it aches very badly.

Athayne Elora, Ele
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Yozoh.8179

Yozoh.8179

+1
I feel like all these improvements should’ve been implemented awhile back with the Feature Update..

Posted by: Castaa.4720

Castaa.4720

My first post ever in these forms. Signed.

Two more suggestions, salvage kits should be combine-able to at least 25.

And for the love of god, if the designers make item that have more value to the players than the NPC vendors people, REMOVE the trading post selling errors. I understand that they are to prevent bots but there has to be a better method than the current state of affairs. This is my single largest issue with the game’s UI.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Agreed, especially the bit about making it so that the stuff you normally need to hold down ctrl for would stay up permanently. My pinky (and its associated tendons) thank you.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Airala.8629

Airala.8629

Adding my voice to the request for this… my hands would be soooooo grateful. I love this game, but I have to stop playing for days on end a few times a month SPECIFICALLY because it’s so rough on my hands.

Posted by: SassyAssassin.9071

SassyAssassin.9071

Not bad but setting a preset for every skill on your class seems a bit extreme to me. What they really need is a system to switch on and off the auto-target on the fly. It would be a bindable key and represented by an icon on the player hud with something like “FREE” or “F” popping up when it is active. The system could be set so you can hold the key to get the effect or a normal switch type. For ground targets engi grenades skill 1 and bombs skill 1 should auto if held mashing 11111 gets old. The other ground targets don’t need to auto in this way because of there longer cooldowns. Everything else is good though love the items in bulk

(edited by SassyAssassin.9071)

Posted by: Sawatz.2416

Sawatz.2416

All of these suggestions and add a option to the copper fed salvage-o-matic to automaticly salvage everything in your inventory of quality’s of your choosing e.g. white, blue , green, yellow and lower.

All this excessive clicking is sure to cause health problems or make people use auto clickers or option 3 and quit playing GW2 but I am not sure if the dev’s want that option. Although I imagine some might have had to already take option 3.

Personally I think UI and ease of use should be priority due to the fact that it is always always used in every situation.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

As someone who literally did develop an RSI from playing GW2, all these things would be great…

It’s a wonderful game but man is it tough on the hands/wrists.

The biggest one for me is having to hold down right-click to move camera all the time. After a little while it aches very badly.

And people in my guild wonder why I hang out in LA all the kitten time. I primarily hold down the right mouse button the entire time while playing to manipulate the camera to see and my fingers begin to cramp up and I’m 22… Sometimes I need to just sit in town and rest my fingers and talk to strangers about the weirdest of weird things.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: BillDoor.8923

BillDoor.8923

The simple solution to most of your problems is to bind double click to a mouse button or to your keyboard. If you are doing your keyboard go ahead and do one for double click and one for continuous click. Both should be trivial if you have a gaming keyboard with macro keys that you have no idea what to do with them.

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

Crafting improvements:

• Adding items to the recipe discovery panel and the mystic forge should be simple clicks, not double clicks.
  • Every time a recipe is used for the first time in the Mystic Forge, it should be added to a list, much like with the other crafting panels.

For the love of god, this is so needed. Especially making it work like crafting recipes, where you can craft them all at once in a queue rather than crafting them one at a time. So. Much. Clicking. To make 200+ superior siege in one sitting. It is the most horrible thing in the entire game, and not only does it make your hand super tired, it’s so time-consuming.

This and being able to bulk buy from vendors are the two most-needed changes, IMO. Closely followed by a “use all” option for stackable items like Luck.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

Honestly I’d be happy enough if they’d just add a repeat recipe or craft all button to the mystic forge. The forge is the WORST having to put those items back in there each and every single time.

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

Posted by: Socks.9421

Socks.9421

I couldn’t possibly agree more with this post. Of all the MMOs I’ve played, GW2 is by far the most uncomfortable and punishing on the hand to play for long periods of time, just because of all the silly and excessive clicking that needs to be done, and the insane amount of button mashing certain classes need. I’ve been thinking that the game needs a ‘consume all’ button for karma/magic find consumables and lootbags since forever, and the proposed changes to ground target skills (-especially- for engineers when it comes to bomb/grenade kits) really needs to happen, and should have been in the game from the get-go to be honest. It’s just plain uncomfortable to manually mash 1-5 constantly every half second that you’re attacking. Could really be easily addressed by simply allowing the button to be held down and repeatedly perform the skill.

There are games with 10x more skills on your action bars that don’t strain your hand anywhere near as much as these things to. I don’t even have carpal tunnel or a similar condition, but I feel like I probably will develop it if I play too much GW2, necessitating far more frequent breaks than I would normally feel necessary from other computer games. Can already feel the hand muscles aching a bit after a salvage spree or attempting to play my engi (which I don’t do very often, for exactly this reason) Really needs a change, it’s not just an in-game quality of life issue, it could be a genuine real life health risk for people that enjoy this game. Sincerely hope Anet are paying attention to important feedback like this thread.

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

Why haven’t these happened yet QQ

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’m all in for healthier gaming! Speaking of which, for every hour, a minimum of 10 minutes should be spent moving. Food/oil reminders should extend beyond our characters to the players too. Also, every 15 minutes you should look away from the screen and at something distant. As great a distance as you can to exercise your eye’s. Blinking and rolling your eye’s about as well. Anything to lessen eye strain is beneficial.

We all know this game doesn’t have a pause button but, when you have to go, you have to go! Don’t hold it for that next boss to be over, keep to be captured, or path to finish. Just go!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Lippuringo.1742

Lippuringo.1742

/signed 10 thousand times.

Posted by: pejay.2164

pejay.2164

carpal tunnel is annoying, so whatever lessens the strain, I’m all for it. I especially dream of anything that allows to buy in bulk/open in bulk. It’s hugely annoying even to buy Obsidian Shards in 10s. Clicking and clicking and clicking. Farm for 2 hours in Orr = endless clicking of loot bags and champ bags. Eating luck, even after crafting it all to 200s, is clicking and clicking. Really unhealthy. :/

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

As I attempt to stave off carpal tunnel and dread the onset of the arthritis thats plagues my family I beg, please add these features.

Seriously add something, anything to lessen the repetative clicking.

• Selectable amounts from vendors
  • Consume all or Use selectable amount

Those are the big ones for me, but everything in this thread needs implementation.
The sooner the better.

MithranArkanere.8957

• When transferring stackable items from and to the bank, the client should search for stacks of the same item, and try to send then directly to the stack.

Yay! One was added!

But I must bring this back again, as I’ll try to do on each festival, until hand health is taken seriously.

With all these bags to open, hands hurt again.

Hands must be protected.

Edit: Something else I forgot.

*Salvage improvements

• An option to bulk salvage would be added. For example, clicking a bag’s icon on the side of the inventory with the salvage cursor would attempt to salvage everything in the bag, as long as the bag isn’t an invisible bag.
  • An option to bypass the salvage confirmation dialog would be added. For example, with Shift+click.
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: NonToxic.9185

NonToxic.9185

NECROBUMP FOR WINTERSDAY

Some of the rewards from the Wintersday events are a box, which I open to get 2 more boxes and a bag, which I open to get 2 more bags and a bunch of trash that I have to click 4 times each to sell on the BLTP.

Hand health is going BACKWARDS in this game, not forward.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Right-click “consume all” on a stack of items would be the best invention in the history of Tyria.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

One thing I wish they would add, click on and off on the mouse button for when we move around. Right now you have to hold that button down if you aren’t autorunning. I’m starting to feel pain in my right arm down to a tendon in my elbow from holding that button down while moving my char.

Posted by: FancyMrB.1498

FancyMrB.1498

+1

Especially with essence of luck. Before I know it I have a massive pile of it and my hand
starts to cramp up from all the clicking u.u

Great suggestions OP.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Would be really nice to have an open/use all right click option on items, like the essences and consumables.

Would also be really nice to have a way to either tell the mystic toilet how many times we want to do something (in the case of specific recipes, ie superior siege) before we forge, or in the popup that shows up again (either with a button to click to do it again or quantity box where we can type in how many times we want it repeated).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Mufasa.8415

Mufasa.8415

These are some of my biggest frustration in this game. My chest gets wound up every time I build up a substantial amount of consumables and I have to walk away for a while.

One thing I’ll say that someone said on another post [haven’t read any here aside from the op] that has helped me a lot is going to your

Windows start menu

Control Panel

Ease of access options

Change how your keyboard works

Turn on mouse keys check box

Then there’s a link to open the options for keyboard num-pad keys
you’ll want to uncheck the box that says “Display a warning message when turning a setting on” so when you’re turning this on if you’re in game it doesn’t pull you from your screen; it just turns on silently and you choose if you want a sound to play as well the speed of your mouse while using the num-pad.
You can still use your mouse while this is turned on. And there is also a setting to have it in affect while your num-lock key is on or off [after turning it on with alt+L-shift+num-lock].

You will still need to double click the 5 key on your number pad but it is a lot easier and a lot more comfortable.

Drunken Mufasa
The Stonemouth Keep
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: ammayhem.5962

ammayhem.5962

Agreed, these need implementation. Opening ToT bags during Halloween was a pain and I’m pretty sure it killed my mouse as well.

I’ve been noticing that my arm has been hurting from holding right-click down to look around all the time too.

My desktop has been down for over a month so I haven’t been able to play; I’m excited to start playing again, but my arms are kind of dreading it.

Port Sledge University [PSU]
Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Why hasn’t ANet implemented more of these suggestions? These kinds of QoL features need to be a bigger priority.

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

Reducing the amount of skills that area ground-targeted. Looking at you, Grenade Kit.

There is an option for ground targeting where you can cast on where your cursor is pointing. Only downside is you can’t see the aoe circle before you cast.

It is a must have for me.

This does obviously help, but I still want an option like “center ground targeted skills on current target”

Posted by: The Ice Mage.4879

The Ice Mage.4879

+1 to a lot of the stuff from OP like Vendor, Crafting, Inv, Salvaging…has anyone from ANet read this that can comment on what all you guys think about these suggestions? o:

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Completely agree and would love to see any and all improvements such as this.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Reducing the amount of skills that area ground-targeted. Looking at you, Grenade Kit.

There is an option for ground targeting where you can cast on where your cursor is pointing. Only downside is you can’t see the aoe circle before you cast.

It is a must have for me.

This does obviously help, but I still want an option like “center ground targeted skills on current target”

That’s the reason I don’t use bombs on my engie. This game already stresses my hands. After the click fest that was the Wintersday festival, I was taking Tylenol for hand pain. :/

Posted by: Zahld.4956

Zahld.4956

+1. Save our hands. Do this.

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

an Open/use all option… the luck is killing ppl’s hands…. I have had one inflamatory reaction alraedy due to GW2…. Its taken ONE YEAR to heal!!!!

Kima & Co

MithranArkanere.8957

Yeah. I try to get people to bump this topic every time there’s lots of boxes to open during festivals.

This last Halloween and Wintersday were particularly painful.

And I’m holding on doing Thirst Slayer until we get both bulk purchase in vendors and bulk consumption/open for containers and stacking consumables.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

I think I remember seeing this a long time ago and I’m all about getting those changes in the OP put in.

DUU EEET! Save my wrists!

EDIT: I’m kinda shocked this doesn’t come up more often, but I’m especially a fan of the grenade/mortar auto attack thing

Posted by: DiamondMeteor.8345

DiamondMeteor.8345

Well I’m glad I read this.

I am not glad, however, for promoting 700 Charged Cores for Mjolnir…

Ranger / Revenant – Crystal Desert

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Would also like to mention the Discovery panel in crafting. Having to combine every single insignia + 2 parts for every possible combination. I had to take several breaks from crafting, and after completing it once refuse to ever do it again.

An option to make a single combination, and then unlock it with all the insignias (or whatever) would reduce the repetitive arm strain by whole lots.

I’ve nicknamed the Discovery panel for "RSI Panel" (Repetitive Strain Injury).

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

Anything that makes life easier gets a +1 from me!

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

This is a really good cause to be honest, bump !

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Just saw this thread get bumped – missed it the first time a year ago – thanks all! Lots of great stuff in here. Some stuff already on our backlog, some new stuff we added after checking this out.

- CJ

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

this just in: necro threads! it works!

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Just saw this thread get bumped – missed it the first time a year ago – thanks all! Lots of great stuff in here. Some stuff already on our backlog, some new stuff we added after checking this out.

- CJ

Thank you.

Mouselook implementation and open/use all would be so huge. This may be tough to understand for someone without hand issues, but applying constant pressure to a mouse button can be a real problem for some.

I actually avoided playing GW for a long time because there was no Mouselook. I do play now, but get around that limitation using a script on my G13. I also have a key on it that does a double-click for opening bags (reduces the number of clicks and shifts the burden to my left hand, which doesn’t have the same issues as my right).

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

Anybody who has ever tried to do thirst slayer achievement should have an immense appreciation for this thread. Thirst slayer requires 100,000 drinks. Now assuming that one is by necessity frugal, spending 7karma/3drinks as the best price/drink (as opposed to the 219Karma for 16 drinks for the least number of clicks) that is 33,333 drinks. at 3 clicks per drink (1 to buy, 2 to drink) that is back to 100,000 clicks to get this silly achievement. I am guessing that someone was not thinking about the damage potential to players’ hands when coming up with those numbers, completely aside from the insane amount of time it takes to sit and mindlessly click for hours on end.

Simply allowing us to purchase in stack sizes, especially if those stack sizes reflected the inventory expanders, and single click consumption would bring this down to ~2000 clicks for a base stack of 250. That is still REALLY high but so much better than 100K clicks.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM