Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Lately I’ve been very unlucky with salvage kits.
Using Black Lion Salvage Kits on rares, I received 3 Globs of Ectoplasm out of 6 rares.
Using Master’s Salvage Kits yesterday, I received 2 Globs of Ectoplasm out of 8 rares.
Today I had a similar result, not yielding any Globs of Ectoplasm from 5 or 6 rares using the Master’s Salvage Kits.
Have the kits been nerfed?

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

Using Black Lion Salvage Kits on rares, I received 3 Globs of Ectoplasm out of 6 rares.
Using Master’s Salvage Kits yesterday, I received 2 Globs of Ectoplasm out of 8 rares.
Today I had a similar result, not yielding any Globs of Ectoplasm from 5 or 6 rares using the Master’s Salvage Kits.

I kinda noticed that as well… I stopped salvaging rares, and TP all of them.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

Logged in just to comment that I have seen this lately, too. Yesterday I had guild missions, was lucky with drops, and hit a few world bosses. I got 9 rares and one exotic. Salvaged the rares with Mystic kit, got ONE ecto, salvaged the exotic with a BL kit and get this- I got ONE mithril lump. Talk about p’d off… Not salvaging anything else till we see another patch.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Salvaging was indeed nerfed. I thought it was just the T5 materials, so their value would rise, but I always suspected they did the same to rare/ecto. My salvages were pitiful before, but now it’s just ludicrous. I can break a rare and get one (1) T5 material. It’s maddening.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Yoroiookami.3485

In other words – sell all your rares on TP. Thanks guys.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Having nothing better to do, after I read this thread I salvaged my tiny collection of 11 rares with a mystic salvage kit.

Results
10 ectos
6 thick leather
5 mithril
1 ori
1 ancient wood log
2 silk scraps
8 runes/sigils

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

I had a very good rate lately… It’s just bad RNG ;-)

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Yoroiookami.3485

If multiple people noticed rares not yielding nearly as many materials, I’m pretty sure it’s something more than “bad RNG”.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

Just a flesh wound.3589, thank you for posting that we’re just having a run of bad luck. I was hoping that was the case, but when others start to “confirm” your fears its nice for someone else to show its not the case.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

“Bad RNG” got buffed 50%

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Nikkle.4013

Nikkle.4013

These threads are made after every patch since the game launched. Every time it turns out nothing was changed. Salvaging 8 or 9 rares is not going to tell you anything about the rate of ecto, it’s not even close to being a significantly large sample. Need more like 200+.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

With the amount of people crafting stuff. If the ecto rate was nerfed the prices should be going up while the supply should be going down but the opposite seems to be happening. Where are the extra ectos coming from if the salvage rate has been nerfed?

Edit: Just thought of the answer to my own question. The overall drop rate of rares feels like it has increased but that aside pushing more people to fractals also means more rares being added and salvaged. Fractals has always had a decent drop rate for rares and account bound exotics so that could account for the additional supply.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

With the amount of people crafting stuff. If the ecto rate was nerfed the prices should be going up while the supply should be going down but the opposite seems to be happening. Where are the extra ectos coming from if the salvage rate has been nerfed?

Edit: Just thought of the answer to my own question. The overall drop rate of rares feels like it has increased but that aside pushing more people to fractals also means more rares being added and salvaged. Fractals has always had a decent drop rate for rares and account bound exotics so that could account for the additional supply.

More people are doing bosses for scavenger hunt/collection items…more bosses equals more rares.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

There are also more people in Orr again for the map rewards, one of which being ecto.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Bandini.6185

Bandini.6185

Could this be in line with :

“Salvaging Changes

Despite keeping a heavy sink of materials in the new endgame weapon journeys, the changes were nowhere close to balancing the current numbers . To help get us closer to where we want to be, we’ll simultaneously roll out changes to the salvaging of some materials. Some of these changes will reduce output to help us maintain scarcity, and some will rebalance heavily input materials with more rare materials to help even out some of the variation of scarcity we currently have."
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-economy/

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

6 attempts (BL) and 8 attempts (master/mystic) aren’t enough to determine if the pattern has changed. Keep track for 100 trials. I’m not seeing a difference over the long run and in the short run, 50%/BL or 25%/M isn’t that unusual.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Death Aggro.9602

Death Aggro.9602

I use the mystic salvage kit. And i get tons of ectos still. I made over 100 the last 2 days. Perhaps its just RnGesus messing with you.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

If multiple people noticed rares not yielding nearly as many materials, I’m pretty sure it’s something more than “bad RNG”.

You mean the three people that answered your thread?

Come on man… It’s bad luck.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

I would agree that in general it feels like I’m getting fewer materials from the gear I do salvage. But I expected as much thanks to the idea what apparently what is good for the community and economy is not making things accessible by having more of them but making them less accessible by having less of them. “Scarcity”.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Some problems with that:

1. Your sample size isn’t large enough. You can have runs of bad luck without any nerf or glitch having happened. You’re not out of the realm of a possible run of bad luck.

2. Not enough people posting concrete data to even reach a large enough sample size.

3. The people just posting anecdotal evidence without any numbers don’t count. Humans by nature are biased toward remembering when bad things happen over when good things happen. Part of our survival instincts. So we’re better apt to avoid the things that would harm/kill us.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I would agree that in general it feels like I’m getting fewer materials from the gear I do salvage. But I expected as much thanks to the idea what apparently what is good for the community and economy is not making things accessible by having more of them but making them less accessible by having less of them. “Scarcity”.

“feels like” isn’t necessarily accurate — it turns out, we humans are very good at spotting patterns that involve bad luck; we are quick to ignore average or better-than-average luck; and we discount how often we see good luck.

As a similar example, my Uncle used to complain about how bad older drivers were where he lived. He said, “every time I see a bad driver do something, I look over and see that they are old, too.” At that point, I reminded him that his development tract was bordered on all sides by retirement homes — that is, everyone he lived near was older. He was noticing the bad drivers; he paid no attention at all to the good ones (who were equally old).

The point being: our “feelings” aren’t usually accurate barometers of what’s really going on — unless you count results systematically over enough examples, you might just be noticing low salvage rate streaks and discounting the high-rate streaks.

For mystic kits, you should expect ~88 ecto / 100 rares. 1% of people who do that will see ‘only’ 80 rares, but that’s a huge number of people, so someone on the forums will experience it and I wouldn’t call it a trend. However, if you only got 75 ecto, that would be very unusual and fewer than 70 would suggest that something has changed (often, it turns out, that someone used the wrong salvage kit).

tl;dr we’d need to see data on at least 100 salvages before it would be reasonable to worry about a nerf.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Before the expansion we were told by John Smith that salvaging was going to be reduced in his “economy gonna go crazy, but we are watching” post.

He even kindly did a Q&A thread as well, that may answer other questions you might have.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

The last 10 rare I salvaged net me around 20 ectos. By your logic I should be asking if salvage kits were buffed.

Other have said it, I’ll just rephrase. Sample sizes of less than 1,000 are no where to be taken serious.

Also consider this, if you open a thread with this title, guess who is going to answer first? Exactly, people who had the same subjective experience.

For future referance:

- salvaging 10 rares and getting 0 ectos is possible (I should know, it’s happened to me 1nce)
- salvaging 5 rares and getting 10 ectos is possible too

Both are not in any way representative sample sizes.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Yoroiookami.3485

Thank you kindly for your kittenery, I appreciate it. I was simply asking if that’s the case. It’s good to know it’s not. I think you guys took the whole asura roleplaying a bit too seriously.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

I’ve been convinced since the expansion came out that they buffed the ecto rate closer to 1.0 per, at least until the update earlier this week.

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Not seeing it here. Looks fine.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: PseudoNewb.5468

PseudoNewb.5468

“Bad RNG” got buffed 50%

For ectos, I feel like I am seeing more occurrences of 0 AND more occurrences of 3 ectos per rare.

Maybe they increased randomness to make everybody paranoid…

Salvage Kits Nerfed?

Posted by: Mahuyo.3079

Mahuyo.3079

I know that i have felt similar, I’d ask if you have used the Ascended Salvage Kit at all, i think that with 1 it having so little coming out of Ascended Gear, and with the drop rates of Dark Energy seeming low, it seems rather that they might have changed the drop rates (this is my opinion), thought I think the drop ratio with ASK (Ascended Salvage Kit) should be buff enough to see at least 1 with 10 pieces.