Scythe Greatsword Skin

Scythe Greatsword Skin

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

Please please please make a greatsword skin that looks like a scythe. A staff scythe doesn’t fit.

Forever Against Stacked Servers
Virual [VRUS] Alien Lunatics [StFu] Nocturnal Sxaddx [Nuts] Ft. Aspenwood
That which is dead may eternally lie, but with great aeons even death may die.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Please please please make a greatsword skin that looks like a scythe. A staff scythe doesn’t fit.

The only problem would be, because of the way characters swing greatswords, you’d be hitting your foes with the back of the scythe shaft half the time.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

The only problem would be, because of the way characters swing greatswords, you’d be hitting your foes with the back of the scythe shaft half the time.

They could make it “backwards” then

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

Or make a it a double bladed scythe

Forever Against Stacked Servers
Virual [VRUS] Alien Lunatics [StFu] Nocturnal Sxaddx [Nuts] Ft. Aspenwood
That which is dead may eternally lie, but with great aeons even death may die.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Lahmia.2193

Ok, no ignore my previous statement. They hit foes with the same edge each time. So it would work with a scythe skin.

But yes, as a personal opinion, I would absolutely adore a scythe skin on my greatsword. Ever since creating my gw1 necro/dervish scythe build, I’ve wanted one for my gw2 necro (though the reaper’s shroud just didn’t cut it).

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: nanomidgy.9180

nanomidgy.9180

+1!

I made another post about this as well, basically a scythe gs and the best animation:
https://youtu.be/Jj5bICL9R7I

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Except those wouldn’t work as GS animations lol.

While it’s a really cool weapon and all, I just don’t think it’s really reasonable, especially since changing animation choreography has huge negative implications for the PvP environments.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Lahmia.2193

Except those wouldn’t work as GS animations lol.

While it’s a really cool weapon and all, I just don’t think it’s really reasonable, especially since changing animation choreography has huge negative implications for the PvP environments.

People never complained about daredevils using the current 3 scythe skins on their staves. And you know how people love to qq about almost everything thief related.
For the most part, the current animations would fit fine with a scythe skin. A few wouldn’t fit, like Reaper #3 (a thrust attack) but attacks such as warrior, guardian and reaper #2 would all fit perfectly.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Because the animations for the Daredevil’s/Revenants staff animations all make sense when using the skin.

Hand placement matters a little bit when it comes to animations.

Swinging a scythe around by just the end is laughable. Tying animations to a weapon would be stupid for PvP/WvW, and reworking GS to hold the blade halfway down while twirling it around would be even more ridiculous. And no, just because half-swording was done does not make it a reasonable justification to have in a video game for offensive cleaving animations.

The only way to enable such a thing is to create a new weapon group available to various professions, but that’s extremely unlikely since the concept is a niche one and it’s a massive amount of work to actually implement when considering all the skins/sets in the game that would need to be released.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m in favor of more skins that break convention. I’d like to see a shield that looks like a paper scroll or (another) scepter that’s big enough to be a staff. I think Scythe fits a lot better with staff animations, but sure, let’s have a GS scythe, too.

ANet had a bit more fun with this in GW1’s Beyond; I’d like to see them do more tradition-bending skins here, too.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

+1!

I made another post about this as well, basically a scythe gs and the best animation:
https://youtu.be/Jj5bICL9R7I

It’s extremely aggravating to watch those animations. The character’s body is constantly passing through the shaft of the weapon which is extremely obvious because the character isn’t making proper body movements to allow the weapon to pass by the body. To make lateral slashes like that, you’d have to bend down so the weapon passes over you, just change the gripping of the weapon so you’re holding it near the end or spin with the weapon.

It’s REALLY obvious when the character goes from idle to combat stance. She goes from holding the scythe with 1 hand and the weapon shaft behind her then transitions to the same right handed grip but the weapon shaft passes right through her into her left hand.

This phenomenon occurs for practically every animation, too. It’s a shame, as the one hook animation (where she turns her body, making it look like the weapon slides along her body rather than passing through, then changes the weapon grip to perform a lateral stab then pull) looks great and should have been how the majority of the animations worked.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Lahmia.2193

Because the animations for the Daredevil’s/Revenants staff animations all make sense when using the skin.

Hand placement matters a little bit when it comes to animations.

Swinging a scythe around by just the end is laughable. Tying animations to a weapon would be stupid for PvP/WvW, and reworking GS to hold the blade halfway down while twirling it around would be even more ridiculous. And no, just because half-swording was done does not make it a reasonable justification to have in a video game for offensive cleaving animations.

The only way to enable such a thing is to create a new weapon group available to various professions, but that’s extremely unlikely since the concept is a niche one and it’s a massive amount of work to actually implement when considering all the skins/sets in the game that would need to be released.

Umm, have you seen the Reaper’s Shroud animations? The scythe is held nearly the same way a greatsword is and swung in a very similar motion.

Attachments:

(edited by Lahmia.2193)

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Personally, I’d rather a Scythe be its own weapon, like when the Dervish used it. But, I have to ask, how does it not fit as a staff? It’s literally a staff with a blade.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

If we are not going to have scythes in game, then a scythe greatsword skin would be amazing

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Lahmia.2193

It’s extremely unlikely we will be getting any new weapons, considering they’d have to fill in so many weapon sets. Anet has already shown they are happy to add scythe skins to staves. It shouldn’t be too much of a stretch to add a few scythe skins to greatsword.

To repeat a past suggestion, they should add the old Gw1 tengu weapon set and use the scythe skin on greatsword.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

To repeat a past suggestion, they should add the old Gw1 tengu weapon set and use the scythe skin on greatsword.

Oh, those look really nice. I wish we could have more weapons/skins that look that good in GW2. From what little I’ve seen of the artwork on gear in GW1, it surpasses much of GW2’s by a large margin.

I would love to see more Scythe models worked into GW2, however that can be accomplished. Great for Necro at the least.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Lahmia.2193

Oh, those look really nice. I wish we could have more weapons/skins that look that good in GW2. From what little I’ve seen of the artwork on gear in GW1, it surpasses much of GW2’s by a large margin.

I would love to see more Scythe models worked into GW2, however that can be accomplished. Great for Necro at the least.

It also fits, considering Greatsword was the replacement for Scythe with the transition from Gw1 to Gw2. Another skin I’d love would be the Tormented Scythe

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Novahh.7426

Novahh.7426

Wtb Dervish class

Guild Leader of The Legacy [OBEY]
Guardian – Legends Never [DIE]
Fort Aspenwood, WvW Rank: 2,675

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Staff Scythe fits very well on my Daredevil~ How dare you! ;o

Needs some position tweaking though. He swings it slightly sideways.

Attachments:

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

Tbh i also feel like some Hammer Animations would look kitten awesome with a Scythe skin

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Tbh i also feel like some Hammer Animations would look kitten awesome with a Scythe skin

Thief’s Staff skills are basically copy-pasta’d from hammer.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

a scyth skin should only be a SCYTH…….no respect for gw1…..

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Lahmia.2193

a scyth skin should only be a SCYTH…….no respect for gw1…..

That would require anet creating an entirely new weapon with a load of skins to go with it + skills and animations. Much easier to just add a few scythe skins to Greatsword, the spiritual successor of the Gw1 Scythe.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Umm, have you seen the Reaper’s Shroud animations? The scythe is held nearly the same way a greatsword is and swung in a very similar motion.

The animations actually look a like a mix of GS, staff and hammer. 1 could be either hammer or GS, 2 is staff, 4 is more GS, 5 is very hammer but could be GS. Mechanically it counts as a hammer and advances hammer kill achievement.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i dunno why ppl say it can’t be a greatsword skin, all female characters hold their GS like you would a scythe.

to give some examples:

Attachments:

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Lahmia.2193

The animations actually look a like a mix of GS, staff and hammer. 1 could be either hammer or GS, 2 is staff, 4 is more GS, 5 is very hammer but could be GS. Mechanically it counts as a hammer and advances hammer kill achievement.

My point is, the current reaper shroud “scythe” skills are almost all slashing and spinning attacks (aside from #5) which are not unlike most Greatsword attacks. Putting a scythe skin on a greatsword would fit most of the animations.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: vicious.5683

vicious.5683

If you want to use a scythe roll a necro, go reaper and f1→111111 till you run out of life force.

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: ARES.6587

ARES.6587

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Nijjion.2069

Nijjion.2069

Better yet made Scythe a usable weapon!

I miss Dervish

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Lahmia.2193

Better yet made Scythe a usable weapon!

I miss Dervish

What would it be used for though? Greatsword already took the role that gw1 scythe left (big cleave big damage weapon).

Scythe Greatsword Skin

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Reaper’s scythe is, in fact, a hammer under the hood, so you’re dead on (so to speak).