Seems like the designers dont like hammers.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

I have to wonder what you’re talking about. Hammers have a lot of the best skins in the game – they don’t need to be comically oversized to be aesthetically pleasing. It’s maces, foci, torches, scepters, and warhorns that are often treated as second-class weapons.

Actually, pretty much anything that isn’t commonly wielded by Warriors and Guardians is often overlooked. Look at every living story armor piece – it’s all obviously designed for heavy armor.

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

let’s start a hammer design contest!D
just for fun, and maybe ANet can pick up a few ideas here and there.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

You were just backing up your opinion with a picture before. I didn’t think opinions needed backing up. It’s all subjective. Anyway back on topic, again.

You know what dude? No. You don’t get to have your precious last word if you’re picking a fight with me. You just couldn’t drop it in a respectful way, could you?

My picture was in response to the user who was saying that the hammer in question can’t be compared to a GW2 two handed weapon, so I posted another, very similar example to show that it was a good comparison. This had nothing to do with whatever problem you seem to have with me or my opinion, and I never once asked for your input. When I debate with you, you will know it. Trust me.

Are we done now?

Were these the ones they used next to the girls shooting fireballs from their hands and the guys summoning undead? Or were these the guys next to the people wielding twilights and magic scepters?

I’ll let you come to your own conclusion as to the idiocy of trying to apply real world logic to a fantastical, highly stylized, and magical game world.

Bravo. Apparently you’re jumping to conclusions about a very simple comment we made also, with regards to our own opinion on what is aesthetically pleasing. What is your problem? I never once said that all hammers should be a certain way for reality’s sake, nor did I make any comparison regarding armor, physics, or what have you.

If you didn’t want or can’t handle peoples input on your posts then maybe you shouldn’t post? You seem awfully worked up because some one told you this is a fantasy game and as such comparing items in it to things that are real is not valid.

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

If you didn’t want or can’t handle peoples input on your posts then maybe you shouldn’t post? You seem awfully worked up because some one told you this is a fantasy game and as such comparing items in it to things that are real is not valid.

You know, I’d actually deleted that post because I didn’t feel like stirring up more crap with people who apparently can’t comprehend something so simple as a comment regarding my very clear opinion on taste in hammers. All I gave was my personal taste.

Can you read at all? I’m serious. Did you actually comprehend a single word of the posts I’ve made? I never once said that hammers in this game ought to look a certain way for the sake of realism. I said, quite literally, “The hammers in this game are comically large and most just look silly. I’d rather have a realistic looking polehammer anyday.”

I know that this is a fantasy game. Almost 3k hours should make that painfully obvious to anyone.

What I’m electing to take offense to is that certain users are just relentlessly drilling in on something that was never even said, perhaps out of some misplace sense of intellectual superiority, for the sake of making an argument out of nothing. I never asked for input on my post – probably because I never put forth an actual argument for the sake of debate; I merely made a very plain comment and then gave a picture to a user to show him that the two handed version of a medieval weapon is in fact very similar to the single handed hammer.

Does any of that make sense? At all? This is exactly why people have a problem with these forums. All of this right here in this thread? Unbelievably ridiculous. People need social skills.

Oh, and for the record, my opinion on what Anet does with hammers in GW2? I don’t really care one way or another because I’m content with a couple of skins right now. If they add more later, I’d personally like to see them varied between different types of aesthetics, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. And yes, I’m more than happy with my magical Sunrise, animated Frostfang, and glowing eyes Howler. But I’m not going to complain if they add a couple of things giving a nod to real life historical counterparts.

Anyone have a problem with this?

(edited by Sil.4560)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

You know, I’d actually deleted that post because I didn’t feel like stirring up more crap with people who apparently can’t comprehend something so simple as a comment regarding my very clear opinion on taste in hammers. All I gave was my personal taste.

Can you read at all? I’m serious. Did you actually comprehend a single word of the posts I’ve made? I never once said that hammers in this game ought to look a certain way for the sake of realism. I said, quite literally, “The hammers in this game are comically large and most just look silly. I’d rather have a realistic looking polehammer anyday.”

I know that this is a fantasy game. Almost 3k hours should make that painfully obvious to anyone.

What I’m electing to take offense to is that certain users are just relentlessly drilling in on something that was never even said, perhaps out of some misplace sense of intellectual superiority, for the sake of making an argument out of nothing. I never asked for input on my post – probably because I never put forth an actual argument for the sake of debate; I merely made a very plain comment and then gave a picture to a user to show him that the two handed version of a medieval weapon is in fact very similar to the single handed hammer.

Does any of that make sense? At all? This is exactly why people have a problem with these forums. All of this right here in this thread? Unbelievably ridiculous. People need social skills.

Oh, and for the record, my opinion on what Anet does with hammers in GW2? I don’t really care one way or another because I’m content with a couple of skins right now. If they add more later, I’d personally like to see them varied between different types of aesthetics, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. And yes, I’m more than happy with my magical Sunrise, animated Frostfang, and glowing eyes Howler. But I’m not going to complain if they add a couple of things giving a nod to real life historical counterparts.

Anyone have a problem with this?

It makes perfect sense. What doesn’t make sense is how worked up you’re quite obviously getting because some one replied to your post. Evidenced by the fact that you took the time to reply multiple times and at great length detailing your side of the story.

Sil.4560

Oh, what bothers me is how relentlessly ignorant people are. I’d say that replying multiple times is supposed to help pound reality in, but apparently it’s not working, lol

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

Most hammer skins in this game are smaller than most of the GS blades in this game. Am I the only person disturbed by this? Look at the modnir hammer, wtf is that?

Oceanic [LOD]

Sil.4560

Oh well. Warriors and guardians basically use greatswords like overglorified clubs anyway, so I suppose it makes sense. >_>

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Taste is always subjective, but I’ve already replaced my guardian’s Krytan hammer skin with the new Zenith skin, so I’m not displeased with the new skin (and it really works well with #2 skill). That said, more skin variety (including bigger hammers) is a good thing to help cover as many different tastes as possible.

Sil.4560

Big or small, I just want moar skins. =)

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Yeah true, make something like the weapons Rock from the SoulCalibur has or Brand/Bramd from Demon’s Souls:

http://demonssouls.wdfiles.com/local--files/blunt/bramd-on-hand.jpg

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Big or small, I just want moar skins. =)

^This

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Axos.6142

Axos.6142

Welcome back Sil. I am sorry dude, it might have been a bit below the belt, but I’m certainly not picking a fight. In fact I’d much rather the thread got back to discussing Hammer’s, and the devs approach to them, in GW2. For the record I have no problem with the last paragraph on your views about hammer’s, and the devs approach to them, in GW2.

On topic, having read the post’s of this thread I’ve come to appreciate the opinions of those who want smaller hammer’s, and as such, I would have to agree with a lot of the recent posters here and say hammer’s need a bit more variety, and large, epic looking hammer’s are too scarce, and the ones that do fit the description, are extremely difficult to acquire.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Taste is always subjective, but I’ve already replaced my guardian’s Krytan hammer skin with the new Zenith skin, so I’m not displeased with the new skin (and it really works well with #2 skill). That said, more skin variety (including bigger hammers) is a good thing to help cover as many different tastes as possible.

^This. 100% Agree. People have different(sometimes weird) tastes.

This is the poptart cat(a.k.a Nyan cat):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

I want a Hammer that is the poptart cat on a stick, and when you swing it it leaves a trail of rainbows. If there are issues with copyright, make it a poptart turtle on a stick.

I am still angry at the designers for not having a profession that can wield both The Bifrost and The Dreamer.

Posted by: nico.2946

nico.2946

To all the ppl that want a realistic hammer….

What is more fun to run around with in this fantasy game where all nearly is about how you look… The 2-handed realistic warhammer or the burning oversized unrealistic 2-handed one? Ppl like shiny things. Its all about the looks and the animation so why cant we get more satisfying hammers.
Im so jealous on the greatsword users with all their superb looks. Okej i can change to wield a GS but why? The hammers are used in the game for a reason and should get the same love as all the other skins/looks. And the warhorns..okej maby its hard to make them funny but atleast make the animation when used a bit more satisfying and diffrent from horn to horn.

Attachments:

Nico
Gandara [EU]

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

Puny humans and theit puny hammers!
There are definitely some awesome models in the game
but the majority is just plain aweful.

Attachments:

Posted by: nico.2946

nico.2946

Puny humans and theit puny hammers!
There are definitely some awesome models in the game
but the majority is just plain aweful.

That is one of the best looking hammers in the game including Foefire’s Power, Fractal Hammer, Mjolnir, Priory’s Historical Hammer and the The Juggernaut even it can be a bit more hammerish and less staffish. But the most uggly one must be Pearl Crusher. Looks like a diaper on a stick

Nico
Gandara [EU]

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

What is more fun to run around with in this fantasy game where all nearly is about how you look… The 2-handed realistic warhammer or the burning oversized unrealistic 2-handed one? Ppl like shiny things. Its all about the looks and the animation so why cant we get more satisfying hammers.
Im so jealous on the greatsword users with all their superb looks. Okej i can change to wield a GS but why? The hammers are used in the game for a reason and should get the same love as all the other skins/looks. And the warhorns..okej maby its hard to make them funny but atleast make the animation when used a bit more satisfying and diffrent from horn to horn.

Again its all up to tastes. Some people such as yourself like the crazy oversized anime weapons, some don’t. I’ll take the non-anime weapon skins any day over those things that don’t even look like weapons.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Again its all up to tastes. Some people such as yourself like the crazy oversized anime weapons, some don’t. I’ll take the non-anime weapon skins any day over those things that don’t even look like weapons.

Do you play Guardian or Warrior?
As a guardian, your hammer already spits symbols, rings, sparks and chains of light, realistic hammers dont really do unrealistic things like that. As a warrior, realistic hammers fit in well.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

What is more fun to run around with in this fantasy game where all nearly is about how you look… The 2-handed realistic warhammer or the burning oversized unrealistic 2-handed one?

I like the middle ground, honestly. I’d like them to look hefty, but not silly. IMO, they’ve done a pretty good job finding that middle ground in a lot of the designs for this game. Most heavy armor doesn’t look like the character is swimming around somewhere in the middle (though most shoulder armor is still too large for my taste, thank the devs for the ability to hide it) and greatswords are usually on the oversized side but not so much it looks like the character would fall over while wielding it.

Hammers, however, are an exception. Many of them don’t look like they’d go thunk when they hit.

While we’re at it, it’d be nice if hammers would sit lower on my back when I’m not wielding them. The center of gravity is so high, it looks weird way up there.