Seizure Warning

Seizure Warning

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: B Stiff.9341

B Stiff.9341

I have to tell every one about this I have Seizures I have not had 1 in years in till I got to bitter harvest. the spinning tree and water going the other way the tree is turning is bad on the eyes I am sure I am not the only 1 with this problem doing this mission it does the same thing to me when movies spin the camera around the two people talking please I have had a seizure every time I have done that mission after I go to sleep.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

then don’t do the mission.

Seizure Warning

B Stiff.9341

See that’s what I thought some one would say people like you only think of them self never of others your response is very rude.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Well if that mission bothers you the next one really will bother you! Not even joking.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I have severe photoseensitive epilepsy as well and I’m having way less problems compared to 2 -3 years ago….. my nemisis stil is the flamethrower engi in tunnels…. this as they turn light on light off, remarkebly I do not have much problems with air ele’ss while normal (real-life) lightning ends to send me into seizures extremely often especially in dawn/dusk or nights…..

Decent solutions are lowering brightness/contrast on screen allowing for less agitation, and giving you more treshold. Other options are filters, (like wearing sunglasses) while gaming and taking breaks every 30 minutes, being well rested and so on… You should know most of these yourself. Arenanet cannot understand the implications of what you’re saying. and I reported this a very long time ago.

I feel for you , and I am aware of the cosequences of what you bringing to light

some background:
1 in every 150 people have epilepsy, but photosensitive epilepsy is pretty rare, about 1-1.25% of people having epilepsy have photosensitive triggering so 1 in 15000 people have our condition.

However studies report 7-10% of all healthy children and adolescents having clear measurable reactions to phototriggering which have reported as fast switching between light and shadow (driving a vehicle or bike under trees), lightning , stroboscopes, flashlight from camera’s and phones, fast switching images especially with wide varying lighting conditions. Sufficient triggering can cause seizure like effects, loss of consiousness, memory loss and potentially convulsions… These effects have little chance to cause significant damage other then falling damage or a bite on tongue or cheek and a lot of muscle aches in case of actual convulsions.

WikiPedia link regarding Photosensitive epilepsy:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosensitive_epilepsy
More concrete numbers can be found on the German page…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

If you’re having an issue with those missions you can group up and let your guild/friends carry you through those combat parts that may trigger your seizures.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Well if that mission bothers you the next one really will bother you! Not even joking.

That’s unfortunately very likely.

@OP Just as TexZero already suggested, i advise you to do those missions with friends that will carry you through it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

See that’s what I thought some one would say people like you only think of them self never of others your response is very rude.

What do you realistically expect someone, or even Anet to do about this? Like is there some easy to do graphic setting or toggle they could include, like some kind of alternate color blind mode, that would offset this?

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Nordom.3485

Nordom.3485

Video games are generally something you shouldn’t be doing at all if you have any form of epilepsy, as far as I’m aware. Hell, simply staring at a screen is discouraged and I doubt you didn’t know that. When you willingly do something that can trigger your condition, then that’s on you unfortunately

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Have you tried adjusting the graphics settings?

If you set everything to low a lot of the lighting effects and animations are removed or simplified (for example flowing water is smoothed out so it looks like 1 solid object, shadows and reflections disappear, lighting is more uniform and a lot of flashing effects don’t happen at all).

I don’t know if any of that would help with your condition but it’s very easy to try – go into the mission, open Options > Graphics and set the drop-down to ‘best performance’.

Alternatively your best chance at getting Anet to act on it is to tell them exactly what they need to do. Do they need to add an option to disable the spinning? Would changing the colours or the lighting help? What about fixing the camera in one position? Would that be relative to your character or the room?

As you can probably tell I, like a lot of people, don’t know much about epilepsy. (I had an epileptic cat for many years, but apart from making sure she didn’t hurt herself when she had a seizure and comforting her afterwards there wasn’t much we could do.)

Chances are Anet’s staff don’t know much about it either so simply stating that there is a problem doesn’t allow them to fix it, unless they can find the time to go and do a lot of research into the condition and what triggers a seizure to find out what you can probably tell them in 1 post.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Seizure Warning

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Video games are generally something you shouldn’t be doing at all if you have any form of epilepsy, as far as I’m aware. Hell, simply staring at a screen is discouraged and I doubt you didn’t know that. When you willingly do something that can trigger your condition, then that’s on you unfortunately

Well… I suffer from regular seizures… I did for the last 18 years, and they’ll not go away.

• I’m not allowed to drive vehicles, by law
  • I’m not allowed to work (heavy) machinery, by law
  • I’m not allowed to go out at night to go and have fun till 02:00 in the morning (I need to live a nice organized life with enough sleep)
  • I’m not allowed to suffer stress, cause the -removal- of stress tends to trigger seizures
  • I’m not allowed to drink more then 3-4 cups of coffee a day as I tend to react to it
  • I cannot travel -alone- in public transportation due to chances of seizures, I’ve been robbed once while in a state of seizure… I got a fine when I reported it cause I couldn’t show my ticket, guy got caught and fine was invalidated, I even got an apology from the conductor of the train. Mostly thanks to people paying attention…
  • I shouldn’t be outside when there is a thunderstorm
  • I shouldn’t go to bars/disco’s/festivals/concerts
  • I shouldn’t drink alcohol or use anything mildly stimulating (I know ppl who get seizures after 2 cans ofd energy drink, 0.5l, but still) no drugs, when recieving medication I need to doublecheck the side effects If I can use it.
  • I’ve been prescribed medication by physicians which could have killed me in quite a few cases.
  • I cannot go swimming without supervision. nor take a bath alone.
  • Car headlights and other strange lighting effects tend to dangerous after sundown.
  • I shouldn’t go to the cinema or watch TV, especially no videoclips….
  • I shouldn’t be in place people make photographs with flashlights/ phones w. flash
  • I’ve been in hospital emergency rooms due to seizures repeating well over 40 times, and my wife has been asked to come and say goodbye for the last time twice now.

And now I’m not allowed to play a game behind my PC or sit and watch a nice romantic movie with my wife or a nice cartoon with my kids? Please… I shouldn’t play 24/7…

What should I do with my time? Sit behind daisies and read a book? The seizures will not go away. Problem is unneccesary triggers… I have 4 places in Tyria I avoid. I’ve played this game for 9600 hours (granted there are pretty many afk hours included in that figure) and suffered a seizure twice…. both were directly related to on screen effects. I’ve played computergames for the past 34 years now, sometimes there are bad games, I find I cannot play first person shooters, Simulators (racing/ flying and so on) and sometimes (in-game) movies tend to be particularly horrid.

Outside gaming I have a seizure every couple of hours (absences) when I’m okay, every couple of dozen minutes when not obiding by the rules, and (generalising) partial complex attacks every couple of weeks, mostly after triggers in most cases, most often -NOT- related to computers, I have a life , a family, a wifew and 2 kids and I cannot just sit and do nothing.

My worst seizure was in februari 2008 when I got 8 tonic clonic attacks in series… I nearly died that time… Doctors tried to stop attacks and at the 5th one my wife was called to say goodbye, and after 7 they saw no hope… at all… I lost more then 5kg of bodyweight in 7,5 hours, mostly loss of fluid. Like I said I had 8 that time and I suffered muscle aches for 5 weeks, and leaving unable to walk for 14 days.

I’ve crushed molars, broken ribs and other bones, destroyed my shoulders and knees during seizures. It’s has been deemed impossible to find a decent medicaton in my case and its inoperable. Alternative options have been evaluted a longer time ago and recently and have been rejected twice.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Nordom.3485

Nordom.3485

And now I’m not allowed to play agame behind my PC?

What should I do with my time? Sit behind daisies and read a book? The seizures will not go away. Problem is unneccesary triggers… I have 4 places in Tyria I avoid. I’ve played this game for 9600 hours and suffered a seizure twice…. both were directly realted to on screen effects. I’ve played computergames for the past 34 years now, sometimes there are bad games, I find I cannot play first person shooters, Simulators (racing/ flying and so on) and sometimes (in-game) movies tend to be particularly horrid.

Outside gaming I have a seizure every couple of hours (absences) when I’m okay, every couple of dozen minutes when not obiding by the rules, and (generalising) partial complex attacks every couple of weeks, mostly after triggers in most cases, most often -NOT- related to computers.

My worst seizure was in februari 2008 when I got 8 tonic clonic attacks in series… I nearly died that time… Doctors tried to stop attacks and at the 5th one my wife was called to say goodbye, and after 7 they saw no hope… at all… I lost more then 5kg of bodyweight in 7,5 hours, mostly loss of fluid. Like I said I had 8 that time and I suffered muscle aches for 5 weeks, and leaving unable to walk for 14 days.

I’ve crushed molars, brokens ribs and other bones, destroyed my shoulders and knees during seizures. It’s difficult to find a decent medicaton in my case and its inoperable. alternative options have been evaluted a longer tiime ago and recently and have been rejected.

I’m in no state to dictate what someone does or does not do, what I meant is playing a pc game with a history of epilepsy is a “use at your own risk” kind of thing, no one else is responsible. You can start running with a broken ankle, but you can’t blame the floor when you hurt yourself. My brother has had epileptic incidents with video games, so he just doesn’t play video games, that simple.

Seizure Warning

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Concrete the things causing PHOTOSENSITIVE seizures are:

(repeditive) changing of colors and intensity of images….

This exites the ocular centers. Causing “stress” which in itself OR when gone tends to cause the attacks. As such there are people who have the same reaction to smell, or sounds , tastes, being scared or even touch… perceived by the person whcih cause a unwanted agitation of the nervous system causing an invoulountary release of neurotransmitters causing a chain reaction in a part or the whole brain, effectively disrupting normal functionality of the brain. The location of the reaction also dictates the type of seizure and the amount of brain tissue affected the severity.

This can trigger a seizure whcih can depend in severity from loss of consiousnes for a few seconds in light cases to complete convulsing with total loss of consiousness for minutes for people affected in bad cases.

I personally suffer both types of attacks but the bad scenario is triggered by a more mild form and there is no idea in the medical community why my attcks sometimes progress into worse forms and why they sometimes do not.

No 2 forms of epilepsy are the same, thus due to the fact everybodies brain is unique and the location dictates the effects, and noone has any knowledge how the deeper mechanics function at this time… (brains are still terra incognita)

Epilepsy has more then 2 forms, actually most are classifiable in 5-6 forms. The precise mechanics are unknown, as are precise triggers and reasons it occurs, in all cases the form of epilepsy is unique to the individual suffering form this disorder.

People with epilepsy are not sick, unless when having a seizure. It cannot be transmitted, and tends to be related to either natural occurance or damage to the nervous-system due to physical damage, trauma, lack of oxygen, substance use, genetic sensitivity is said to be a factor in the chance of developing epilepsy during a lifetime. Epilepsy attacks can be fatal in very rare cases.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

As a gamer if I suddenly developed this sort of condition if I’m being honest, I’d probably risk it myself. But I say that as someone who isn’t married with kids.

I can sympathize with you and OP, but you have to know if something happens that’s not on Anet or anyone else.

Even if Anet fixed up the area in question, took every lighting precaution into detail as a whole, the nature of your condition is relatively unpredictable and a natural change in lighting could end up triggering an episode.

That’s a risk you choose to take. I’m sorry that it’s something you have to contend with. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I have epilepsy. I typically err on the side of caution when it comes to games. Even though it does not seem as if blinking lights and such are a trigger for me (any form of stress is though) I do what I can to avoid them just in case. You might want to see if there is an alternate path that yields the same rewards. Or a low tech solution is to know when the blinking lights are and shut one eye (which one is better for you is trial and error).

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

What do you realistically expect someone, or even Anet to do about this? Like is there some easy to do graphic setting or toggle they could include, like some kind of alternate color blind mode, that would offset this?

Actually yes, that is exactly what they should do. But they’re too busy cancelling features and pushing out raids to do anything useful like color blind modes and what not.

Seizure Warning

Menadena.7482

It is pretty standard for games to put seizure warnings on everything whether it needs a warning or not. As to looking at screens …. try to picture going through a day without looking at a computer monitor, phone, or a TV …. at ALL. Different people have different levels of tolerance, even with both having photosensitive epilepsy one person can play games for 24 hours straight and another can not look at even a static web page for longer than 5 minutes.

(edited by Menadena.7482)

Seizure Warning

CETheLucid.3964

Was curious and started reading up on photosensitivity and ran into a pair of lens tints that might help people who have to deal with it.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2006.00463.x/full
https://videogameseizures.net/2012/03/11/life-with-zeiss-z1-f133-protective-lenses/

(edited by CETheLucid.3964)

Seizure Warning

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’m sure somewhere there actually are epilepsy warnings when signing up to the game, as well as the ‘Take a 15 minute break for every hour of gameplay’.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I’m sure somewhere there actually are epilepsy warnings when signing up to the game, as well as the ‘Take a 15 minute break for every hour of gameplay’.

It’s not called out specifically as they just generically bring up the subject.

You warrant and represent that You have no economic, physical, emotional, psychological, or privacy related considerations that would be adversely impacted by Your use of the Game.

Section 11(a)

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I don’t have seizures but I do get motion sickness from certain video games (especially first person view ones and the rapidly moving / zooming camera during jumping puzzles in GW2). That “spinning” part of the map made me dizzy too but I only spent a few minutes there so it wasn’t too annoying.

Seizure Warning

CETheLucid.3964

You warrant and represent that You have no economic, physical, emotional, psychological, or privacy related considerations that would be adversely impacted by Your use of the Game.

Section 11(a)

I mean, is there something more you wanted out of that?

Seizure Warning

Ayrilana.1396

Section 11(a)

No?

Seizure Warning

CETheLucid.3964

Section 11(a)

No?

Alright. I don’t see the point highlighting in the EULA what another poster had already made clear reference to, but you do you.

Seizure Warning

Ayrilana.1396

Section 11(a)

No?

Alright. I don’t see the point highlighting in the EULA what another poster had already made clear reference to, but you do you.

They said “I’m sure somewhere there actually are epilepsy warnings” but did not mention the EULA. I added onto their post by providing the specific section (although it was generic and didn’t call out anything specifically) and provided a link.

I see no point in what you’re attempting to suggest.

Seizure Warning

CETheLucid.3964

Section 11(a)

No?

They said “I’m sure somewhere there actually are epilepsy warnings” but did not mention the EULA. I added onto their post by providing the specific section (although it was generic and didn’t call out anything specifically) and provided a link.

OK.

(edited by CETheLucid.3964)

Seizure Warning

Ayrilana.1396

Section 11(a)

No?

Please don’t troll. Thanks.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong about adding onto what someone posted by providing a direct source/link that was teamsters to what they were talking about.

Let’s say that there’s another thread where someone asks for the policy in P2P trading. Someone responds that they remember it was okay but would not be supported by Anet. I then post the exact post from Anet on this with a link to it. Would you then respond to my post there, as you just did here, questioning why I posted?

Seizure Warning

CETheLucid.3964

Section 11(a)

No?

There’s absolutely nothing wrong about adding onto what someone posted by providing a direct source/link that was teamsters to what they were talking about.

Let’s say that there’s another thread where someone asks for the policy in P2P trading. Someone responds that they remember it was okay but would not be supported by Anet. I then post the exact post from Anet on this with a link to it. Would you then respond to my post there, as you just did here, questioning why I posted?

Not my intention to troll you.

I just feel in this particular topic (as opposed to your example where it would be appropriate to add such information) you’re being a tad fastidious over a non-issue.

It didn’t warrant all of this.

I figured a simple OK would be enough to end this line of conversation as opposed to what you took from that as “I TROL U LOLOLOL”, so I’ll just be blunt and tell you that our conversation is over.

Savvy?

Seizure Warning

Ayrilana.1396

Section 11(a)

No?

Not my intention to troll you.

I just feel in this particular topic (as opposed to your example where it would be appropriate to add such information) you’re being a tad fastidious over a non-issue.

It didn’t warrant all of this.

I figured a simple OK would be enough to end this line of conversation as opposed to what you took from that as “I TROL U LOLOLOL”, so I’ll just be blunt and tell you that our conversation is over.

Savvy?

I’m adding onto their post with a source. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with me doing that. I asked not to troll because before you edited your post you had the troll image that said ok.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Section 11(a)

Thank you, this is most helpful as I was too lazy to go through the whole EULA to find it.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Pax, that’s awful. I’ll take my motion sickness from that spinning helix any day over seizures. I think the solution for you is to go in with others, as suggested above. You stand and face your camera at the wall at the bottom while the others clear the helix. Make one of them a mesmer (if you’re NA, I can help there). Then before Faolain is engaged at the top, the mesmer portals you up so you never need to look at the helix.

I don’t know this will work, as I have not seen a portal used in that location, but it could get you further on in the story. And you can shut your eyes during the cinematics, some of which have some fairly trippy flashing parts. Perhaps be on voice chat so a friend can tell you when it’s time to move on.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

If Anet designed something that is giving seizures, then Anet made a mistake and should fix it. You would be surprised at how many people are affected by this, and not being aware of this is just poor game design.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

The OP posted a thread to warn people with the same kind of condition as him that they can get harmed.
Yet, some people come in like : " hurr durr so don’t play, what do you want anet to do blablabla "

The OP is jus attempting to prevent harm to others guys.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

If Anet designed something that is giving seizures, then Anet made a mistake and should fix it. You would be surprised at how many people are affected by this, and not being aware of this is just poor game design.

That’s easy to say, but hard to do. The triggers are different from person to person. One person it might be a certain sound at a certain pitch. Another, it might be a flicker of lights at a certain rate, but for a different person it’s a flicker of lights at a different rate and neither is bothered by what triggers problems for the others. A third might have problems by the way the camera moves during watching a vista and won’t find this out till he sees his first vista. There’s no way that any game can be designed to eliminate all triggers for all people.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t get the problem here or the warning … spinning things on a screen can have negative effects on all kinds of people; as the OP and others say, it’s probably MUCH worse effects on more severe afflictions.

I can’t see how Anet would even attempt to address this without significantly sterilizing onscreen animations. Such a request to do so would be unreasonable.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Seizure Warning

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Pax, that’s awful. I’ll take my motion sickness from that spinning helix any day over seizures. I think the solution for you is to go in with others, as suggested above. You stand and face your camera at the wall at the bottom while the others clear the helix. Make one of them a mesmer (if you’re NA, I can help there). Then before Faolain is engaged at the top, the mesmer portals you up so you never need to look at the helix.

I don’t know this will work, as I have not seen a portal used in that location, but it could get you further on in the story. And you can shut your eyes during the cinematics, some of which have some fairly trippy flashing parts. Perhaps be on voice chat so a friend can tell you when it’s time to move on.

I have found a lot of ways to work around my condition in the last 20 years, while gameing, lowering contrast and brightness being 1 of the methods and sunglasses being another.

I actually finished all content in PvE except some RAIDS bosses , am rank 800+ in wvw, and a m a pretty bad PvP player sometimes loityering for a few seconds and then returning to gameplay beause my brain isn’t working

I actually did migraine and prefer condi builds as a couple of seconds of downtime still allow me to provide dmg… in lingering conditions.

And even though I appreciate the offer: I have my account in EU….

Thanks for reading the story and it is not to ask for sympathy but to show the effects of Epilepsy in daily life.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I don’t get the problem here or the warning … spinning things on a screen can have negative effects on all kinds of people; as the OP and others say, it’s probably MUCH worse effects on more severe afflictions.

I can’t see how Anet would even attempt to address this without significantly sterilizing onscreen animations. Such a request to do so would be unreasonable.

As another person with PSE, I’d agree: there’s not a whole heap they can do for every single thing, given that each case individual and we’re triggered by differing circumstances. They can, however, provide a warning on the loading screen going into an instance (like we get for TV shows and cinema if there is to be an instance of strobes – for me, if I don’t get the warning, then it could go belly up quicker than I’d like). Even then, there’s probably only so much Anet can account for, without consulting someone in a medical capacity, yet a general loading screen warning is better than finding out too late: “Warning: this instance contains A/B/C which may affect some players”, or some such. Pop it under the usual loading screen info (the instance name, etc.).

It won’t change the fact the Risen Priestess of Dwayna has it in for me, or the new sparkly anomalies careering across various locations of late make me hurt, but it’s at least something.

@PaxTGO: I hate those flamethrowers too. Feh!

@OP: I’m sorry for what happened with you! I don’t know if you’ve gotten through to Hearts and Minds yet, but there’s a possibility it might be problematic to say the least. Good luck, and stay safe.

Other players have mentioned various instances in the game before now on the forums too, which is always a good call for any conscientious-minded person. I’ve appreciated such heads-up before.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Seizure Warning

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

That’s easy to say, but hard to do. The triggers are different from person to person. One person it might be a certain sound at a certain pitch. Another, it might be a flicker of lights at a certain rate, but for a different person it’s a flicker of lights at a different rate and neither is bothered by what triggers problems for the others. A third might have problems by the way the camera moves during watching a vista and won’t find this out till he sees his first vista. There’s no way that any game can be designed to eliminate all triggers for all people.

I understand it’s hard to eliminate, but it is easy to reduce. It’s surprising how many people have a problem with this. I design games for gambling devices, it’s a real problem. Casinos do not want their customers having seizures.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I don’t think A-net could possibly do anything to alleviate the causes of epilepsy within their games to prexisting content, because even suggesting that a certain filter helps could land them in hot water if it didn’t. What triggers one person to have a seizure might not trigger another one.
Moreover, they have yet to accomodate colour blind players (which make up a much larger percentage of the population) even though tried and tested filters are available in other games.

What would be really neat is if there’s a forum or something dedicated to gamers with photosensitivity (epilepsy, vertigo/motion sickness, migraines etc) that gives feedback on what game/area of a game is a significant risk and what isn’t. It seems like something that should exist on the internet…

Another option is to research the area of the game before you go into playing it. Perhaps join a guild with trustworthy players and ask them if a particular mission has a lot of spinning/turning/darkness with flashing lights or anything that you know is likely to trigger a seizure for you.

Ultimately, you can’t hold A-net accountable for your seizures. It is your choice to play and you are advised to consult a doctor before playing videogames. But I understand that you still want to live your life and enjoy it- just try and err on the side of caution where possible and try to know as much as you can about an area of the game before committing to it.

Seizure Warning

B Stiff.9341

TY for the advise to changing every thing to low in those parts to the game it is helping

Seizure Warning

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

We are not Doctors, and if we where, we could not and would not give out medical advice with no medical history. Sort if it irritates you, but you’ve posted this on a forum, as people have suggested, get friends to carry you, as it would seem you will be unable to finish the game on your own with your condition.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

I am sorry for your condition. I have autoimmune issues, suspected lupus. I have had a flare that has lasted since I brought my cat inside full time because she is getting too old to remain outside. This started a couple of years ago. I am allergic to her, I know having her inside will make me sick. I am fairly much disabled by my condition, and I know it isn’t going to get better as long as my cat lives, yet I have no other option in my mind. So, I know how it feels to do something that makes me sick, yet I am doing it anyways. There is no one I can complain to that will make my issue better. People have given you options on this thread, I hope one of them works for you, because anet changing their game for you isn’t really a good option.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Veryl.7861

Veryl.7861

Sorry I havent read everything but imo it’s the engine causing motion sickness.
When you don’t have an amazing gfx card and want enjoy the best out of the game, the fps usually drops to 20 fps even with a six core.

I recommend Anti aliasing by GemFX since that is a more subtle and reliable way to gain more fps.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

That is not acceptable, everyone deserves to play the content they like.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

It wasn’t a very diplomatic response, but even though in an ideal world everyone deserves to do fun things that they’d like to do, not everyone can. If something causes a person to have seizures I don’t know what else can be done about that. I remember reading a story about a certain song that caused seizures in this person. It was the theme song to a television show. Is that song supposed to be changed because one person has seizures? Wouldn’t it be easier for that person to not watch that show?

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Fenris Amarok.4052

Fenris Amarok.4052

No, no they do not. That is a really old, baseless argument that holds no water. You don’t get to do things just because you like them. Especially if you knowingly engage in things that are dangerous for you.

Seizure Warning

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Hmmm…. I don’t have any of those kinds of issues, but that part was really not easy on the eyes. A few bits of HoT (in particular adventures) feel a bit disorienting when most of the game doesn’t do that and I regularly participate in zerg content with crap flying everywhere.

Maybe they could look into it a little.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

My ex was so tinny she didn’t get to ride most roller coasters which had a height limit, same situation really.

‘s why I asked earlier what Anet would need to do to eliminate this, if its just a toggle for turning off bright spell effects then sure, can’t expect them to design cutscenes without the camera moving though, for example.

Seizure Warning

Menadena.7482

What would be really neat is if there’s a forum or something dedicated to gamers with photosensitivity (epilepsy, vertigo/motion sickness, migraines etc) that gives feedback on what game/area of a game is a significant risk and what isn’t. It seems like something that should exist on the internet.

That is what I was thinking of as well, other players may be able to suggest workarounds for those things there as well. Some you can skip in one way or another (immediate escape key for vistas, shutting eyes in non-optional cutscenes, etc) without losing anything if you know any information that will be revealed in that bit. Others would have more complex workarounds (sunglasses, mesmer ports).

I wonder if using the relevant wiki chat pages would do? Then tie it all together somewhere?

Seizure Warning

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I don’t get why you play games that might cause danger to your health. Just delete it. Forget it. There is milion other games to play.