Seraph - Can we, the players, join?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Donutdude.9582

Donutdude.9582

Good evening.

This is the main body of an e-mail I sent to Guild Wars 2 Support about making the Seraph an organisation that can be joined. I was told to put the suggestion here instead, so here it is. Let me know what you think.

“When I first read the book “Ghosts of Ascalon”, I’ve been in love with the Seraph. Their ideals, their morals, their armour. Everything about the Seraph puts a smile on my face.

As I have been playing, a thought came to me: “Wouldn’t it be great if I could join the Seraph? Wouldn’t it be great if we could fight alongside the men and women in gleaming suits of white armour to protect the city I love?”

So, my question (and the entire point of this e-mail to you today) is this: would ArenaNet consider making the Seraph an organisation that one could join, similar to the Vigil, the Durmand Priory and the Order of Whispers?

There is a slight difference I would like to highlight, however. I would not want the Seraph to be too similar to the three main organisations. I would like this one to be more focused on the plights of the humans as a race, which could come in the form of daily achievements or missions set at random intervals during the day that could be communicated via a city announcer? These are just some ideas that I’ve come up with over the course of the past few weeks so I know they could use some work. Nonetheless, I hope I’ve given the development team something to think about."

One addition – a reward system similar to that of the War Supplies from Guild Wars Beyond (War Supplies) could be implemented to perhaps offer an alternative way of obtaining Cultural Armour.

Thank you for taking the time to read this suggestion & be sure to reply with any additional ideas or opinions on my own.

Best regards,

Donutdude

NOTE: Due to the Suggestions forum being closed, I had no idea where to place this. So if a Moderator deems it prudent to place this elsewhere, I would not mind.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

It seems like a good idea. I don’t think it’d work out though but perhaps include some more options in an extension of the personal story at some point. Living Story is fine and dandy and all but as we’ve seen the biggest impact is the destruction of a city – hasn’t really brought us any content that individualizes our characters.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I would love all forms of affiliation to organizations in GW2.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Great idea, especially the specific missions you get from this “organization” ^^ They should do it with the 3 orders, just like the Zaishen missions in GW1

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

This definitely the kind of thing the next LS season should be about. No more punctuated grind chapters. We need more depth to the RP elements of the game. Things that make the world feel alive and real, not just events in small areas that go unnoticed by the rest of the world.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: DragonXRose.8534

DragonXRose.8534

If there would be a chance to enter the seraph, they would have to open the other “security orders” as well: The Wardens, The Wolfborn, The Arcane Eye & The Adamant Guard.
It could be implemented based on race: Sylvari get a chance to join the grove’s defense force, charr the adamant guard,… These “security orders” could give quests to secure the hometown & region further.

GANDARA -The Searing- [TS]
Cypressa Belladonna / Yhana Belladonna / Siri Vargsdottir / Kata Sharpe
Siri Meccano / Ysana Deathpale / Siri Bladedancer / Siri Strongheart

(edited by DragonXRose.8534)

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

It would be really boring to join The Seraph. You would probably stand on one spot all day, all night, telling others “move along” or “may Dwayna protect you.”

Donutdude.9582

Ahai, it is great to see some support for this idea.

Regarding opening the other orders for the specific races, that sounds like a wonderful idea. My recommendation would be to use the Seraph as a “pilot” idea and, if it takes off and does well then the system could be implemented into the other organisations.

@Mortifier: The Seraph do more than just stand guard within the city gates of Divinty’s Reach! The fight bandits, centaurs and generally keep the peace!

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Ahai, it is great to see some support for this idea.

Regarding opening the other orders for the specific races, that sounds like a wonderful idea. My recommendation would be to use the Seraph as a “pilot” idea and, if it takes off and does well then the system could be implemented into the other organisations.

@Mortifier: The Seraph do more than just stand guard within the city gates of Divinty’s Reach! The fight bandits, centaurs and generally keep the peace!

Don’t know how many times I rescued a town that was being ‘protected’ by the Seraph. They all just lay on the ground pretending to be dead until I gave them the heads up the bad guys had gone.
On a serious note it is a possibility but with so much going on would be back burner at best.

Donutdude.9582

Don’t know how many times I rescued a town that was being ‘protected’ by the Seraph. They all just lay on the ground pretending to be dead until I gave them the heads up the bad guys had gone.
On a serious note it is a possibility but with so much going on would be back burner at best.

True, the NPC Seraph characters do seem a bit hapless at time but PC Seraph characters could do some serious work!

I hope ideas like these don’t become back burner projects. Smaller ideas like this would be a welcome change, in my opinion, from the bombardment of Living Story arcs.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

True true. So much which could be done, but at the end of the day ANet has a finite number of people to produce content. Content like this would require a lot of work, simply joining the organisation would probably be boring so they’d had to create a whole meta around it, some mission and what not. The more depth and complexity they add to it the longer it’ll take etc.
Still since this is a MMO there’s no reason why they couldn’t implement this in small chunks, add a few Seraph quests now, add a few more later etc.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Why would my charr warrior care about joining the Seraph? Aside from doing so just so he could swagger around Divinity’s Reach, naturally.

And my ranger is much more intrigued with the idea of the Shining Blade rather than the Seraph. Though being allowed to be aide-de-camp to Captain Thackeray and continually go “you know, I was Commander of the Pact and Trahearne did a better job at this” would be so worth it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Donutdude.9582

Why would my charr warrior care about joining the Seraph? Aside from doing so just so he could swagger around Divinity’s Reach, naturally.

Like I said in a previous comment, this idea could be used as a “pilot” idea to see if there is interest. If there is, it could be expanded upon to organisations within the other races of Tyria.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Like I said in a previous comment, this idea could be used as a “pilot” idea to see if there is interest. If there is, it could be expanded upon to organisations within the other races of Tyria.

Also wonder why anyone would want to work for the Peacekeepers instead of letting Rata Sum explode in a puff of experimental magic.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Donutdude.9582

Also wonder why anyone would want to work for the Peacekeepers instead of letting Rata Sum explode in a puff of experimental magic.

I’ve got to admit that does sound like fun.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

While I am not against it, the only acceptable way to do it, would be making it a human exclusive organisation… seeing it kinda is and should stay as such.
Which means a similar choice should be the for the other races imo.
All the races have a sort of guard/police to keep order and peace in their respective homelands…. charr have the adamant guard I belive they are called… asura… peace keepers?
So it would end up very complex and possibly a lot of work for Anet. But it would be a great way to expand on what each race is and can be, as it is now you join one of the 3 orders and you pretty much stop being affiliated with your own race, which is a shame. It would also open up for a new possible tier of cultural armor? I would really really want more cultural armor. Not to mention a motivator to play all my characters again to get the perspectives and happenings of all 5 races.

Important though that those that do not have all races, maybe even just play one, don’t feel they are missing something from the others too much.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

While I am not against it, the only acceptable way to do it, would be making it a human exclusive organisation… seeing it kinda is and should stay as such.
Which means a similar choice should be the for the other races imo.
All the races have a sort of guard/police to keep order and peace in their respective homelands…. charr have the adamant guard I belive they are called… asura… peace keepers?

The humans have the Seraph, the asura have the Peacekeepers, the charr have the Adamant Guard, the sylvari have the Wardens, and the norn have the Wolfborn.

Then there’s the Lionguard of Lion’s Arch, the Fallen Angels of Ebonhawke, the Sentinels who keep watch over the Dragonbrand, and the Zaishen who couch surf in Fort Marriner.

. . . no, really I’m sure they have things to do. Wish we could see that in this game as opposed to before.

So it would end up very complex and possibly a lot of work for Anet. But it would be a great way to expand on what each race is and can be, as it is now you join one of the 3 orders and you pretty much stop being affiliated with your own race, which is a shame. It would also open up for a new possible tier of cultural armor? I would really really want more cultural armor. Not to mention a motivator to play all my characters again to get the perspectives and happenings of all 5 races.

Important though that those that do not have all races, maybe even just play one, don’t feel they are missing something from the others too much.

Just do something unthinkable – a force solidifies across Tyria to start enforcing peace, by drawing on refugees and volunteers who want to work to fight against what Scarlet Briar did to the world. The Pact was created to fight dragons, primarily starting with Zhaitan as the most active threat to the broadest region . . . but public sentiment leads some of the higher ranking members to establish a defensive group to stay behind while the Pact chases after Mordremoth. Or whomever is next.

These volunteer forces begin patrolling areas with known dragon corruption and there are events which can be kicked off by players, and help show there is an awareness of the races realizing they must work together to do more than simply assault the dragons. They need to work together to keep the peace.

. . . at least, until we can learn how to control asura gates and torch Rata Sum.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

OP
during the Horizontal Progression CDI there was quite a big discussion about different factions like the Seraph etc and making missions tied to that as well as the Orders.
There was a lot of support for that on the thread.

I think it is a nice addition to PvE and will be a way for our characters to be more tied to the world.
A nice form of character progression.

While nothing proposed in the CDI is guaranteed or promised- I would certainly not rule out the possibility that we might see something like this in the future

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

Sorry, for exclusive members only. ;D

Attachments:

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: Mint Rubber.6543

Mint Rubber.6543

To be honest, as a human I’d like to join the Ebon Vanguard.

Warrior of Seafarer’s Rest EU

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Just buy the armor and blend in. It’s not like anyone can come and say you are not part of the Ebon Vanguard.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: ThunderPanda.1872

ThunderPanda.1872

This would be an extremely good idea. I hardly play PVE, every time when i want to tell myself to play PVE, I just don’t know where to start.

Dungeon – done it gazillions of times same thing over and over again…
Dynamic Events – ha…ha…ha… no offence, it’s a joke now, no one really does it anymore in most maps
World Exploration – I’ve never experienced more grind than i ever did in my life (done it once, never again)
Champ Train – is there a bot for this?
Personal Stories – probably the only one i would do, but gets annoying after playing alone for a while
Living Story – Grind Fest Story

I mostly spend my time in wvw and pvp, now that these two modes are getting stale and boring, i’m really left with nothing to do…

Having missions with organizations that will actually directly affect the world would be interesting.

Send me 1000g and I will stop trolling WvW forum.
I have a dream – Our Anet Senpai will make WvW Great Again!
WvW Forum is more competitive than WvW

(edited by ThunderPanda.1872)

Donutdude.9582

That Ebon Vanguard would be an interesting organisation to join, however they have lost their main purpose, which was to fight the Charr, after Queen Jenna’s truce came into effect.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

That Ebon Vanguard would be an interesting organisation to join, however they have lost their main purpose, which was to fight the Charr, after Queen Jenna’s truce came into effect.

They haven’t lost their purpose . . . they’re just waiting for the opportune moment, you see. Either that or they’ll follow my memo and turn to anti-Asura tactics.

Donutdude.9582

They haven’t lost their purpose . . . they’re just waiting for the opportune moment, you see. Either that or they’ll follow my memo and turn to anti-Asura tactics.

Haha! Leave the poor Asura alone! They’re cute and brilliant!

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

you know? i heard the captains council were going to allow more adventurers to join the lionguard, you know, to help with the clean up/helping in general for lions arch

then kiel came along (must have thought that we’d take all her credit or something) and shut down the idea

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

Donutdude.9582

you know? i heard the captains council were going to allow more adventurers to join the lionguard, you know, to help with the clean up/helping in general for lions arch

then kiel came along (must have thought that we’d take all her credit or something) and shut down the idea

Darn that Kiel! Gnashblade for life

Let’s try and get back on-topic. More opinions folks! Let us know what you think!