Server Wide Chat

Server Wide Chat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

Server Wide Chat
I would like to propose something I came across in one of the megaserver feedback threads.

Please don’t merge this devs. It is it’s own separate thing.

New chat mode, “Server Chat”. Will function the same as the others within the chat box options.

Pros:
~An additional way to tie the community together & promote a server community feel.
~Accessible anywhere in the world, including wvw.
~In pve, it would make the world not feel so lonely and desolate. (let’s face it, even with megaserver, there will still be certain zones that are mostly empty)
~For those that like their peace and quiet while they’re gaming/roaming, they simply tick the box next to “server chat” & make it go away.
~Easier to ask for help & actually get it, with more personally challenging parts of the game. (there are a lot of ppl who would actually wp somewhere right away to help someone with something if they new the need was there)
~Much faster notification of world events instead of – having to ask through guild chat (if you are even in a guild), if someone that is in ‘LA’ could let everyone know in mapchat that said event is going on or about to start. (same applies to f list)
~Easier to find people/events/commanders through conversation instead of clogging up your friends list even more than it already may be.
~Adds the ability for gw2 to create server-wide notifications for mega events & possible pre’s, or w/e else they want to use it for.
~Creates much more opportunity for trading between players.
~WvW, PvE, PvX, GvG guilds would be able to recruit world wide almost effortlessly.
~While in wvw, it would allow us to ask for reinforcements w/o having to actually leave wvw to do so. (or go through the guild/f list chat chain & hope for the best)
~Provides additional entertainment value anywhere in the world, if desired.

Also, if this were to be implemented fully, it would be helpful if there was a slight shade differential in the color to immediately separate wvw requests, from pve chat. Just a slight shade/color difference so that it’s not obnoxious.

Cons
~impossible with coding?
~impossible to factor in wvw with coding?
~impossible with coding in a megaserver environment?

Concerning the megaserver implementation, this could be epicly helpful since a large amount of the complaints are directed toward ‘server communities being ruined’, as well as, wvw tactics being eavesdropped on by enemies.

Additional separate suggestion:
Server Wide Chat for WvW. Akin to Team Chat, operates across all 5 maps.

Naz ©

Server Wide Chat

Posted by: Klonex.4562

Klonex.4562

sure, it can be great for a lot of things ~ though i see the majority of players will be using this as a means to spam, promote guilds, selling things outside the tp, other useless things. i see this more on the cons side that pro, sorry.

~Krystal <3 Angela ~
~ I taught cows how to Moo! ~

Server Wide Chat

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I think we need an RP chat before Server chat. This is so that people who are RPing do not flood both local and map chat.

Server Wide Chat

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I think we need an RP chat before Server chat. This is so that people who are RPing do not flood both local and map chat.

That’s a really good idea! I’d probably check that more than the actual Map chat. XD

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Server Wide Chat

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

There was actually an item in beta that allowed you to broadcast a message to the entire server for 25 gems. It was removed because of complaints from players in regards to being spammed.

Server chat will be more abused for gold spam more than anything else.

The only real way to fix this problem is to include a chat that is for home server based off the map, not the entire server.

Server Wide Chat

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Just another chat I would have to disable…

There would be way too many people talking at once, you wouldn’t be able to keep up with a server wide chat.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Server Wide Chat

Posted by: thomdane.3670

thomdane.3670

I personally hate World Chat of any kind. I saw this mechanic for the 5 years I played a previous MMO, and it becomes a chat channel for drama, guild spamming, ego stroking, trolling, etc. No offense to those that do it, but if you want a preview of the kind of crap you would get to listen to all day every day, go stand in Vigil Keep (formerly in Lion’s Arch) for an hour and just listen to the discussion that occurs there. Yes, it can be turned off. Yes, you don’t have to listen. In my opinion, though, it’s just a can of trouble that doesn’t need to be opened.

I am Eredon Terrace
Order of the Blue Heron [OTBH]
Arathorn Cirdon – Warrior | Ariana Cirdon – Mesmer

Server Wide Chat

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

Why is it a problem if u can just disable it if u don’t want to view it?

This is another great idea!

Naz ©

Server Wide Chat

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I think it would be very useful, if anyone has a big issue with it they can simply leave it off.

I’ve always thought gw2 social systems were poor at communication/relaying information.
Example

Note:Not saying gw2 should adopt these systems, as most wouldn’t work with the new mega servers coming, just using them as a comparison.

In a classic mmo I’ve played.

- Had the ability to create chat groups that could be made private with a password required to join, or public for everyone to join

- /who insert zone function. Was extremely useful when you wanted to find out if someone or a group of people was in a zone before wasting time going there, of if you wanted to find out where everyone was.

- variation of region chat (covered whole areas rather than a particular map)

- alliances with chat and alliance messages. Some alliances had as many as 100+ members, which was really helpful when organizing/planning big open raids.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Server Wide Chat

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

I want only a few things:

• Connect the map chat between the Main cities
  • Disable Team chat in WvW and leave only Map chat
  • Disable Map chat in PvP and games like Keg brawl.Leave only Team chat.

I never understood why there were more than one chats active at the same time.I find it useless.I talk specifically for Map and Team chats.Nothing else.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

(edited by moiraine.2753)

Server Wide Chat

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

For one thing, ArenaNet already has the ability to communicate server-wide, as well as game-wide. So, that isn’t a pro.

Trading outside the TP should not be encouraged. Already enough scamming going on. Not a pro.

As this was suggested yesterday or so in some other thread about something, again I will say that chat from every map at the same time will probably scroll so fast it would be near impossible to read. Unlikely to be a pro.

Have you ever been to Spamadan? It really wasn’t all that pleasant. There was a reason they removed the Megaphone in GW2.

Server Wide Chat

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Why is it a problem if u can just disable it if u don’t want to view it?

This is another great idea!

I have an even better one! Because nice as it would be to have an RP channel, how much better would it be to have … wait for it .. custom chat channels. All viewable at once. Maybe even with … I’m drooling now … custom color settings. We could see multi guild chats at once! Have allied guild channels regardless of current rep! Set up a WvW crowd that doesn’t have to spam map or team! Get focused discussion groups!

Sure, the world might feel a little quieter if you’re not already in a sub-group that likes to chat, and I can see that as a serious downside to newcomers. But it would solve so many problems with the current chat system — and a zone wide RP channel would lead to confusion. Why am I hearing those two thieves plan a heist in Rurikton when I’m mourning my dead in the Grenth tombs? It would be the zone-wide /say we started with

Server Wide Chat

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

I want only a few things:

• Connect the map chat between the Main cities
  • Disable Team chat in WvW and leave only Map chat
  • Disable Map chat in PvP and games like Keg brawl.Leave only Team chat.

I never understood why there were more than one chats active at the same time.I find it useless.I talk specifically for Map and Team chats.Nothing else.

Sorry but team chat is needed in WvW as it has at least a higher thresh hold before automatically blocking you, high enough most people never hit it. Let alone its generally viewed as Team in WvW= WvW Things, Map=General Chat.

Isle Of Janthir

Server Wide Chat

Posted by: Arvizal.8436

Arvizal.8436

Too many trolls. Too many gold selling adverts. Too much confusion. Too much spam. I personally think that the whole Megaserver thing will make the game feel more active, so it should be fine

Thief main since launch! – Ded Pixel – Maguuma – [SAS]