Server transfer cost - a reason to leave

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

Now there’s a debate. Does gold have value?

I’d personally say no, it doesn’t.

How about a guild loan?

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Posted by: Tinboy.7954

Tinboy.7954

Makes thread about taking a month long break from the game.

Comes back finds guild left game free transfers ended.

Guesting and end of free transfers announced here: January 16th
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guesting-is-coming/

Now its Anets fault rofl cause you didn’t go to the website, the wiki, reddit.

Riiight

Just ask ask friends for gold convert to gems transfer.

1800 gems is fine they most have jumped to a high pop server. The price depends on server population.

Sorry man, but despite you heaping on the derision, you do appear to have not read (or not understood) how guesting works. It’s not the same as transferring, and will not serve for people who want to participate fully in their guild.

Maybe read his post before replying. He never told you to guest.

Given that the point I could have read the news and known about the server transfer had already been made, what point is he making then?

…. you serious? I mean, the two points he is making is pretty blatant.

1. Stop complaining cause Anet gave out a fair warning.
2. Get help from friends if you need it. The server transfer fee is not that much anyways.

Posted by: Cribbage.2056

Cribbage.2056

Cribbage, you’re coming off very badly in this thread. You have the demeanor of someone who just came here to start an argument.

My original post explains very clearly why I came here. I had no intention of starting an argument, and I can confidently say that if the discussion had remained on the point of whether 1800 is an appropriate price for server transfers, there would be nothing here that resembled any kind of an argument.

I think the main problem is that – for whatever reason – there are a number of users of this forum who reflexively post something aggressive/adversarial when another user mentions leaving the game.

To my mind, leaving the game is just something that happens in MMOs. You don’t play them forever. Similarly, it’s pretty normal not to like some aspects of the way an MMO is run, and it’s a reasonable thing to seek to put that opinion out there to the other players.

It doesn’t need to be a source of drama or conflict.

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

It’s 10g! You could make that in no time or in the least get 10 members to chip in 1g apiece and pay them back after your transfer. Seriously! Are you really that upset about this that you can’t see the simple solutions right in front of you?

Heck, I’ll send you 1g just to get you started.

1g is 50 gems mate. That’s 36g for 1800 gems I assume. I don’t know if you get some kinda discount for buying in larger amounts.

Please bare in mind:

Gems buy gold.
Real money buys gems.

That means that gold has a real money value. Hitting my guild mates up for gold is not much different from hitting them up for real money, even though the currency system disguises the fact.

It means nothing of the sort. Gold cannot be exchanged for money, and it can be created without spending any money.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Gisei.5749

Now on to another question.

Why must so many players who leave the game make an announcement about it?

If the goal was to discuss the 1800 gems price, the above was not needed. It always makes for a bad thread, not sure why this would be different.

By the way, I’ll be leaving for dinner in 3hrs everyone.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Cribbage.2056

Makes thread about taking a month long break from the game.

Comes back finds guild left game free transfers ended.

Guesting and end of free transfers announced here: January 16th
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guesting-is-coming/

Now its Anets fault rofl cause you didn’t go to the website, the wiki, reddit.

Riiight

Just ask ask friends for gold convert to gems transfer.

1800 gems is fine they most have jumped to a high pop server. The price depends on server population.

Sorry man, but despite you heaping on the derision, you do appear to have not read (or not understood) how guesting works. It’s not the same as transferring, and will not serve for people who want to participate fully in their guild.

Maybe read his post before replying. He never told you to guest.

Given that the point I could have read the news and known about the server transfer had already been made, what point is he making then?

…. you serious? I mean, the two points he is making is pretty blatant.

1. Stop complaining cause Anet gave out a fair warning.
2. Get help from friends if you need it. The server transfer fee is not that much anyways.

Fair enough, to move on from this point, since you are stuck on it:

1) I concede fully that I could have transferred free with my guild
2) I accept that some people would be fine with asking others to pay the cost for them.

Those two points made, I can now safely re-iterate my opinion that 1800 gems is a massive over-pricing for server transfers (which obviously have relevance way beyond my own situation).

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

gold to gems…if you trully have friends then they should help you with some gold, stop trying to act as a victim or trying to make this issue like if its a problem because is not, go and complaint why Dethra still bug sometimes in AC or Invisible army, because this thing ‘’server transfer’’ isnt a problem or issue or nuisance.

When my guild wanted a commander for WvW it took the whole lot of us to contribute to raise the 100g. Gold might be of inconsequential value to some of you, but to people like me who mainly PvP and never step foot inside a dungeon, it’s not as easily come by.

That doesnt even make sense, my core argument cannot be refused, period.

Your core argument being that someone else should pay the transfer fee for me? Yeah, sure, that’s an irrefutable point without a doubt.

It’s a real eye-opener to know that apparently I am the only person in the world who doesn’t think that for anything under £20, you can just hit up your friends and get them to pay. Going to the cinema must be a whole lot cheaper for you than for me!

My core argument which you have ‘’friends, guildies which are helpful, play the game for be able to obtain gold’’ if i wanted i could pay you one million server transfer but i wont because you are nobody to me, you just want free stuff to be handed to you, thats all what i see here and making drama or trying to act as a victim, when clearly you arent.

And i loled in the 36 gold conversion…cheaper than i thought especially when is already feb of 2013, i really doubt your so called ‘’friends, guildies willing to help, farming in game’’ cannot make miserable 36 gold, insteand of being here, go ingame and start farming or/and asking for help.

My core argument cannot be refused, period.

I took an arrow to the knee

(edited by JemL.3501)

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

10g…36g…so what, it’s not that much. And you’ve already stated that your guild mates were perfectly willing to chip in 100g for a title so why wouldn’t they be willing to chip in for a friend to transfer? Makes no sense that they wouldn’t. And if you don’t want them to pay then take it as a short term loan.

And to up the ante even more…I’ll throw in 10g, you throw in 10g, and get the other 16g from your guild. Problem solved.

EDIT: Oh, and so far on your 2 page thread…you’re the only one that thinks the cost is too high. Guess you got your answer.

This sentence is false.

Posted by: Ishiga.6053

Ishiga.6053

Cribbage, you’re coming off very badly in this thread. You have the demeanor of someone who just came here to start an argument.

My original post explains very clearly why I came here. I had no intention of starting an argument, and I can confidently say that if the discussion had remained on the point of whether 1800 is an appropriate price for server transfers, there would be nothing here that resembled any kind of an argument.

I think the main problem is that – for whatever reason – there are a number of users of this forum who reflexively post something aggressive/adversarial when another user mentions leaving the game.

To my mind, leaving the game is just something that happens in MMOs. You don’t play them forever. Similarly, it’s pretty normal not to like some aspects of the way an MMO is run, and it’s a reasonable thing to seek to put that opinion out there to the other players.

The reasons for this are two-fold.

One – you seem hell bent on ignoring the obvious, reasonable solution being presented to you out of some skewed sense of currency value that is entirely false.

Two – It makes you sound self-important. Especially because you’re leaving for such a vapid reason.

Posted by: Chamone.6890

Chamone.6890

It’s 10g! You could make that in no time or in the least get 10 members to chip in 1g apiece and pay them back after your transfer. Seriously! Are you really that upset about this that you can’t see the simple solutions right in front of you?

1g is 50 gems mate. That’s 36g for 1800 gems I assume. I don’t know if you get some kinda discount for buying in larger amounts.

Please bare in mind:

Gems buy gold.
Real money buys gems.

That means that gold has a real money value. Hitting my guild mates up for gold is not much different from hitting them up for real money, even though the currency system disguises the fact.

I would tend to disagree. You cannot earn real money by fighting imaginary dragons, but you can earn in game gold that way. Fighting imaginary dragons costs you nothing.

I don’t believe you can say that an amount of gold equals the gem equivalent cost in cash, it doesn’t work that way. Cash -> gold is a one-way street, once you buy the in-game gold there is no way to cash it out.

Saying that, if you really feel bad about depriving your friends of some imagined cash-value for their gold, why not offer to pay them for it? I have a feeling they’ll accept much, much less than Anet, or even the gold-seller sites.

(edited by Chamone.6890)

Cribbage.2056

If the goal was to discuss the 1800 gems price, the above was not needed. It always makes for a bad thread, not sure why this would be different.

If you feel strongly enough to leave the game, why would you not feel strongly enough to air an opinion about whatever it is making you leave?

Why is that hard to understand?

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

…This guy is kidding right? Was the OP meant to be satirical or ironic in some way?

We knew server transfers were going to have a fee since months before launch. But we would be allowed to guest for free. That was a big deal.

Guesting wasn’t ready at launch so they let us have free server transfers while they finished it up. That caused its own problems since people abused them and overflow for WvW and events.

But this entire time…for the last six months, it was no secret that they were working on guesting and free transfers would end. They posted on the forums, they posted on their website, facebook, twitter, there was a message on the login client, and I believe an email went out…all letting people know they had 2-3 weeks left to transfer to the server they wanted permanently because charges were going to go in to effect with the new update.

I just can’t fathom being, genuinely, that clueless about something the dev team and players have been talking about regularly since well before launch.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Cribbage.2056

Please bare in mind:

Gems buy gold.
Real money buys gems.

I would tend to disagree. You cannot earn real money by fighting imaginary dragons, but you can earn in game gold that way. Fighting imaginary dragons costs you nothing.

I don’t believe you can draw a parallel between the most expensive way to aquire gems (buying them for cash) and the cheapest method (playing the game for free) and say that gold equals the gem equivalant cost in cash.

If you really feel bad about depriving your friends of some imagined cash-value for their gold, why not offer to pay them?

Sorry I don’t understand. If 1800 gems is too much for me to pay Anet, why would I ask my friends to pay it THEN pay my friends? That doesn’t make sense.

I accept your point about gold though. It is not equivalent of real money. However, I would argue that it does have clear relationship to real money and whether someone got gems by spending money or got gems through mindlessly grinding dungeons for gold, I would not be comfortable taking it from them.

Gisei.5749

If you feel strongly enough to leave the game, why would you not feel strongly enough to air an opinion about whatever it is making you leave?

Feel free to air you opinion. Have your discussion, but leave the irrelevant details aside. “I’m quitting this game guys” has never been taken well in a MMO Forum. If discussion was your goal, or venting, then adding that detail was not the brightest idea.

And having someone pay you, then you pay them back later is called a Loan. Sounds sensible to me.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

(edited by Gisei.5749)

Cribbage.2056

…This guy is kidding right? Was the OP meant to be satirical or ironic in some way?

We knew server transfers were going to have a fee since months before launch. But we would be allowed to guest for free. That was a big deal.

Guesting wasn’t ready at launch so they let us have free server transfers while they finished it up. That caused its own problems since people abused them and overflow for WvW and events.

But this entire time…for the last six months, it was no secret that they were working on guesting and free transfers would end. They posted on the forums, they posted on their website, facebook, twitter, there was a message on the login client, and I believe an email went out…all letting people know they had 2-3 weeks left to transfer to the server they wanted permanently because charges were going to go in to effect with the new update.

I just can’t fathom being, genuinely, that clueless about something the dev team and players have been talking about regularly since well before launch.

Lol, sorry could you explain this please? What has some general knowledge six months ago got to do with anything.

2 weeks ago, Anet announced the date of server transfers no longer being free. That’s the only piece of info that would have had bearing on this, and I missed it because while playing other games I didn’t bother looking at GW2 news. Hence I missed the opporunity. Noone’s fault, and I have no complaint about it. Not sure how it makes me clueless though. What should I have done six months ago to stop this happening just because I knew that at some point transfers would be paid?

And how does all this supposed cluelessness have anything to do with whether 1800 gems is too much or not?

Posted by: Chamone.6890

Chamone.6890

I accept your point about gold though. It is not equivalent of real money. However, I would argue that it does have clear relationship to real money and whether someone got gems by spending money or got gems through mindlessly grinding dungeons for gold, I would not be comfortable taking it from them.

For some players, earning 36 gold is around 20 seconds work, setting up a sell order and wiating for it to fill.

For others, it is 60 seconds of super rapid clicking to trigger an exploit.

Some players will gladly give away gold they came by so easily, especially if it is to help a friend. Ask, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

That’s what drama queens do, normal people just move on.

You’ve been given options. Take them or leave them.

Cribbage.2056

One – you seem hell bent on ignoring the obvious, reasonable solution being presented to you out of some skewed sense of currency value that is entirely false.

Two – It makes you sound self-important. Especially because you’re leaving for such a vapid reason.

Where have I ignored the solution presented to me? In every post it has been suggested, I have given my reasons for not being comfortable with it. I rejected it, I didn’t ignore it.

Not agreeing with something is not a crime, and is not the same as ignorance.

Just out of interest, have you given a moment’s thought to my explanation that PvPers make no gold and I don’t like hitting up my friends who do not have a lot? Or have you been ignoring that in favour being belligerent?

Cribbage.2056

That’s what drama queens do, normal people just move on.

You’ve been given options. Take them or leave them.

So, I write a critical thread that mentions leaving and you post in it, even though you think it is a worthless drama thread? That’s hypocritical. You’ve said nothing constructive.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

Interesting response since you do not know me. I would guess my friends will miss me, some already said they would, and Anet is going to miss a paying customer, since I have bought plenty of gems in the past for things I considered worthwhile.

Out of interest, is your antagonistic reply due to you being a supporter of the new server transfer costs, or did you just make it out of random petty spite because you are able to do so anonymously on the internet?

you can be guest on their server forever and is you to blame they said entire month that they gona start charging for server transfer man u still can play pve just not wvw on their server so chill out

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

Considering we’ve known that transfers would not be free forever since pre-launch, it’s your own fault for not hopping on long enough to move your account when your guild did. If you aren’t willing to throw a bit of gold or cash at moving to play with your friends in WvW, you don’t want to badly enough. 1800 gems isn’t that much.

The cost is there to enforce some semblance of server loyalty and to support ANet’s continuing efforts to improve the game. So please, if you’re going to quit, just quit. You did it to yourself by procrastinating on your transfer.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

Posted by: Ishiga.6053

Ishiga.6053

Where have I ignored the solution presented to me? In every post it has been suggested, I have given my reasons for not being comfortable with it. I rejected it, I didn’t ignore it.

Not agreeing with something is not a crime, and is not the same as ignorance.

Just out of interest, have you given a moment’s thought to my explanation that PvPers make no gold and I don’t like hitting up my friends who do not have a lot? Or have you been ignoring that in favour being belligerent?

You’re right, my wording was flawed, I apologize for that. I’m just cross with the fact that this is so difficult for you to do. This is coming from someone that doesn’t do PvP unless he’s just THAT bored. Why? Because you don’t get anything out of it but bragging rights and I’m not out to impress anyone with numbers.

I guess I’ll bow out. I’ve never been any good at stepping into another’s shoes since people seem to think that means trading personalities and upbringing in an attempt to feign sympathy. Personally I don’t know what it’s like to buy a game solely for one very exclusive aspect of it. PvE is the meat of every MMORPG out there; I don’t understand how one bears no interest in taking part in that, especially with such an incentive as this.

Posted by: Moderator.2608

Moderator.2608

Hi! We are closing this thread now. The discussion is running in circles with no end in sight.
Thanks for your feedback and understanding.