Shadow Abyss dye, hides textures

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shinya.2598

Shinya.2598

I love this dark dye, but it completely hides textures of some pieces, let me show you what i mean:

This is the new Reaper’s Hood in Black, Abyss & Shadow Abyss.
I suggest that you make it just a tiny bit brighter to not hide textures. These things are really important to cosmetic-mindset-players.

Attachments:

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’m pretty sure that’s the point of Shadow Abyss dye.

You could go darker than Abyss without losing all detail, but not a whole lot further. It doesn’t look great, IMHO, but people want what they want.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Ancientwolfgr.1648

Ancientwolfgr.1648

Turn your gamma up.

Shinya.2598

As you can see it looks almost silly. His head is just a black blob. There are some texturers that looks really well with it, and some absolutely not

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

That is the point of shadow abyss dye that it is as dark as possible and hides most of everything. That’s the reason for people to buy it. If you want lighter color, use lighter dye.

Shinya.2598

That is the point of shadow abyss dye that it is as dark as possible and hides most of everything. That’s the reason for people to buy it. If you want lighter color, use lighter dye.

Sence the armor i’m using is shadow abyss aswell but doesn’t hide textures. It’s very strange to have a headpiece that looks like 1 pixel, there’s no brighter colour that matches. Perhaps it has more to do with the textures rather than the dye. This is always a problem when mixing armor pieces.

Posted by: Chase.2798

Chase.2798

I use yellow abyss dye…idk how it looks on light armor but on heavy it looks like a shinier shadow abyss dye with better detail…again not sure if itll look as good on light or med

Big Papa Chase – Warrior and Guardian
Papa’s Lady Luck- Necro
(HELL)

Shinya.2598

I use yellow abyss dye…idk how it looks on light armor but on heavy it looks like a shinier shadow abyss dye with better detail…again not sure if itll look as good on light or med

What do you mean?
Shadow Yellow?

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Increase shaders in graphics options.

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

I like it this way. Shadow Abyss is meant to be pitch black.

If you don’t like it, use a lighter version. Or turn the gamma up.

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

Shinya.2598

Increase shaders in graphics options.

Does that help in any way?
Turning Gamma up looks horrible

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I still notice textures with shadow abyss.

Attachments:

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

You’ll probably notice textures at different settings like gamma and post processing levels. I use Shadow Orange, which on some surfaces is pretty much black but has a nice dark leather brown that shows texture cracks about as well as Charred and Cinders on other surfaces.

Kash
NSP

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This is an “eye of the beholder” situation.

• Your choice of monitor and your monitor/game settings will affect how much detail you see (with any color and especially any of the blacks or shadow dyes).
  • Some people assume that Shadow Abyss is meant to be too dark to see details.
  • Some people assume that if you don’t like the look of a dye, you would choose another with similar attributes, especially since there are 50 shades of black now. (well, a lot, maybe not quite 50).

For me, all of the shadow colors are too dark for most dye channels, so I use them sparingly and with dyes that show off details better.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

don’t pick the darkest dye you can find if you don’t want things looking pitch black XD
try standard abyss or go even lighter

all i see from this is “black is too black!”

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

This is an “eye of the beholder” situation.

• Your choice of monitor and your monitor/game settings will affect how much detail you see (with any color and especially any of the blacks or shadow dyes).
  • Some people assume that Shadow Abyss is meant to be too dark to see details.
  • Some people assume that if you don’t like the look of a dye, you would choose another with similar attributes, especially since there are 50 shades of black now. (well, a lot, maybe not quite 50).

This is all pretty accurate. I’d like to add,

• It’s going to look different on different pieces of armor, even within the same weight class.
  • It’s going to look different under different lighting conditions. Armor looks different in the preview window than it does in, say, the Priory, or Lion’s Arch at day/night.
~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

OP paints something the blackest black the game offers.

Now complains it’s too black to see anything.

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Nutjob.9021

Nutjob.9021

Check out this stuff called Vantablack. It’s a real substance made from carbon nanotubes that is so black you can only see it’s outline. That is, if you had an action figure of say, Darth Vader, coated in this stuff on top of a round pedestal also coated in this stuff and you looked at it from above, you’d just see a round, black circle. Darth Vader would be invisible from that angle. From the side, you’d see a silhouette of Darth Vader standing on top of a horizontal line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vantablack

One application would be coating the insides of optical instruments (telescopes, microscopes, etc.) to absorb stray light and reduce signal noise.

Note that in the pictures, Vantablack looks like it’s a smooth surface in the middle of a bunch of crinkled up aluminum foil, but in fact it’s coated on that crinkled surface but you just can’t see the crinkles.

Shinya.2598

It’s rly about the textures i suppose. My reaper is wearing Shadow Abyss Arah Armor (which looks horribly stretched out on males but has great textures on female for some reason) and whatever dye i try i can’t seem to get the same hue. I can’t find peace >.<

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Yeah… ummm I’m not really seeing an issue?

Attachments: