Shared inventory slots on thier own line...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If there is one category of complaint that consistently puzzles me it is the inventory stuff. I just don’t get why so many folks care so passionately about their bag layout. Surely it is a minor irritation at worst. I just have one “fixed” bag with the keys and consumables in and then treat the rest like a big bucket. I salvage, sell and deposit stuff then hit “compact” to make it neat. It just does not seem that important. <scratches head>

For me it’s purely an irritation of where I expect a specific tool to be, like my Salvage-o-Matic, as a result of this I’m now constantly porting to the HoM because it’s portal stone is now where I normally had my salvager.

I do not understand how the change could have caused this, but it sounds like you could just put the salvage kit where the portal stone is now and trivially fix it yourself.

That is what I did, which has left the shared slot my salvager was in, unused.

If you have only one shared slot isn’t it now at the top left of your inventory? I would think that you would choose the wrong thing once or twice then you would remember, top left. Not the other spot. And remove the portal stone for a day or two until the muscle memory has taken hold, if you needed to.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

These complaints should be a wake-up call for ANet. No matter what, if one group is complaining about something, they fix it for that group, a different group is going to get angry.

That said, either complaint, in my mind, is a poster child for the meme: First World Problems.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

These complaints should be a wake-up call for ANet. No matter what, if one group is complaining about something, they fix it for that group, a different group is going to get angry.

That said, either complaint, in my mind, is a poster child for the meme: First World Problems.

They’ve had this wake-up call several times in just the past year that I’ve been playing. It doesn’t seem to be waking them. They still release global changes to please one group at the expense of another without seemingly giving any thought to making it optional. But maybe repetition will eventually get the call through.

Posted by: Artorius.6178

Artorius.6178

If there is one category of complaint that consistently puzzles me it is the inventory stuff. I just don’t get why so many folks care so passionately about their bag layout. Surely it is a minor irritation at worst. I just have one “fixed” bag with the keys and consumables in and then treat the rest like a big bucket. I salvage, sell and deposit stuff then hit “compact” to make it neat. It just does not seem that important. <scratches head>

For me it’s purely an irritation of where I expect a specific tool to be, like my Salvage-o-Matic, as a result of this I’m now constantly porting to the HoM because it’s portal stone is now where I normally had my salvager.

I do not understand how the change could have caused this, but it sounds like you could just put the salvage kit where the portal stone is now and trivially fix it yourself.

If you have only one shared slot isn’t it now at the top left of your inventory? I would think that you would choose the wrong thing once or twice then you would remember, top left. Not the other spot. And remove the portal stone for a day or two until the muscle memory has taken hold, if you needed to.

Or, they could not cave to the wants of one group, without considering those who actually thought it was fine as is, ergo, optional.

Luciana Aventius – Ranger – Gandara

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

They’ve had this wake-up call several times in just the past year that I’ve been playing. It doesn’t seem to be waking them. They still release global changes to please one group at the expense of another without seemingly giving any thought to making it optional. But maybe repetition will eventually get the call through.

I suspect the thinking on this one was, “If we change this to suit these people, why would anyone else complain?” The answer is, “Someone will always complain.”

Posted by: Uber.7623

Uber.7623

Are people actually completely overlooking how useful the Shared Slot Bag is for the fact it makes their eyes hurt for some reason? I mean, yeah. I also completely agree it needs a hide/show button which I’m pretty sure Anet will add later on, as they always add the convenient stuff in time.

But no, really. Talk about millennial stereotype.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Are people actually completely overlooking how useful the Shared Slot Bag is?

For people who primarily just play one main character, it has very little use. It’s one bonus slot and nothing more if you play no other characters. Everyone is different. Everyone has different needs.

That’s why ANet needs to learn how to implement OPTIONS… something they almost always seem unable or unwilling to do for some reason.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: veggies.2178

veggies.2178

Are people actually completely overlooking how useful the Shared Slot Bag is for the fact it makes their eyes hurt for some reason? I mean, yeah. I also completely agree it needs a hide/show button which I’m pretty sure Anet will add later on, as they always add the convenient stuff in time.

People are complaining about the unused space.
Imagine if your nose was by your chin, and there was an empty gap where your nose was supposed to be. Would you kitten about us kittening about bad interface changes then?

If you like the way it is the you should kitten off, as this is a complaining thread to get ANET to fix it.

I bid thee a fiery shaft for thy’s watery hole!

Axyd — [TWIN]

(edited by veggies.2178)

Artorius.6178

People are complaining about the unused space.
Imagine if your nose was by your chin, and there was an empty gap where your nose was supposed to be. Would you kitten about us kittening about bad interface changes then?

If you like the way it is the you should kitten off, as this is a complaining thread to get ANET to fix it.

I bid thee a fiery shaft for thy’s watery hole!

This.

If you’re fine with it, then why are you having a go at those of us that aren’t? I myself didn’t post in the threads by people who felt appalled at how it was before this change, because I didn’t share their view, I could understand their frustration, but I felt no desire to actively share my ‘’Oh no I’m perfectly fine with how it is’’ view.

Just because it’s now fixed for those who despised the shared slots being part of their one block inventory, doesn’t mean the other camp, of which I am one, should now just stay silent now that were the ones holding the short stick, just because Anet can’t figure that perhaps they should have made it optional, or a part of the hide/show bags function.

Some of you are now making it sound like it was only an issue while it was affecting -you- in a way you didn’t want, and now that it’s fixed for you, we are supposedly whiners because now it’s forcibly made to be a way -we- don’t like, just as it was for you.

(edited by Artorius.6178)

Posted by: Flipje.8172

Flipje.8172

I really would’ve liked it if the shared slots could’ve been on the bottom! But well, I guess I’ll get used to this too, in time.

Posted by: Sir Black.7423

Sir Black.7423

I keep my inventory organized in a specific way – commonly used things on the right side, lesser used on the left side, etc. So when the free shared slot was first introduced and bumped everything around, it was annoying that I had to go readjust every character’s inventory. However only a minor annoyance, and worth it in exchange for getting a free shared slot.

But now they do this and all my inventory is off again… And now I’m caught in a bind: I could go readjust it all only to find out in a few weeks that they’ll put the slot back down or make an option or something – and then have to readjust yet again. Or I could suffer with messed up inventory for a while in the hopes that something will be done soon… but then again they might not do anything else so I would be suffering for nothing. Ugh…

Personally I do hope they do something to address the useless space on the shared slot line. It just hurts my soul to look at it. :/

But more than that, this is yet another case where more communication would go a long way – then people could critique designs like this before time is invested implementing them, or at least have a clue if/when they’re going to change it again.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Or, they could not cave to the wants of one group, without considering those who actually thought it was fine as is, ergo, optional.

I wasn’t talking about what ANet might or might not do. I was talking about what you could do to fix your problem of using a portal stone when you want a salvage kit, which was putting the portal stone away for a few days and put the salvage kit in the shared spot. Doing that will cause you to remember that’s it’s in a new spot without chancing using the portal stone.

You can do that and still complain about ANet messing up your inventory. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Artorius.6178

I wasn’t talking about what ANet might or might not do. I was talking about what you could do to fix your problem of using a portal stone when you want a salvage kit, which was putting the portal stone away for a few days and put the salvage kit in the shared spot. Doing that will cause you to remember that’s it’s in a new spot without chancing using the portal stone.

You can do that and still complain about ANet messing up your inventory. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Fair enough fair enough.

Posted by: Starfyre.5743

Starfyre.5743

I just log in after 2 and a bit weeks and this was the first thing I noticed in this update…..

Attachments:

Star

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’m not much of a space nazzee when it comes to my inventory, so I don’t overly care. It makes it more orderly and clearly delineated.

But, options are generally better, so I hope an extra click box gets added to the inventory options.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

For people who primarily just play one main character, it has very little use. It’s one bonus slot and nothing more if you play no other characters. Everyone is different. Everyone has different needs.

That’s why ANet needs to learn how to implement OPTIONS… something they almost always seem unable or unwilling to do for some reason.

Yep it baffles the mind they haven’t figured out OPTIONS are the best course of action every time.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Yep it baffles the mind they haven’t figured out OPTIONS are the best course of action every time.

Because sometimes OPTIONS are a viable choice for them to add. Sometimes the code will just not allow it. Sometimes trying to add it could actually break things.

Say they add the ability to hide shared inventory slots, but it breaks the game and actually hides every bag. Would you still want the option?

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Artorius.6178

Because sometimes OPTIONS are a viable choice for them to add. Sometimes the code will just not allow it. Sometimes trying to add it could actually break things.

Say they add the ability to hide shared inventory slots, but it breaks the game and actually hides every bag. Would you still want the option?

I would want them to tell us the engine doesn’t allow it, like how they honestly admitted the ‘’you are selling too fast’’ on the trader can’t be removed.

I’d respect that a lot myself, it’s more honest then empty promises or excuses.

(edited by Artorius.6178)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Anything that anyone can conceive of happening on a computer screen can be coded.

Anything.

It might take too many resources, or it might require huge portions of code to be completely rewritten, but none of that means something can’t be done.

If the gems I (and many others) have spent are not worth the trouble, that’s what they should say, and not some feeble excuse.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

….really?

I for one was annoyed with how the Shared Storage box mixed with my others at the top, making it seem like I had one excess slot at the bottom when I didn’t, which made it look wonky depending on how I shrunk the window.

That being said, I still appreciated the free slot and didn’t make a thread raving about it…Personally, I think being able to distinguish it from my own bag slots would be a good thing. Although I feel they should’ve given an option to put it either at the top or bottom of the inventory, I’m happy enough with not potentially mistaking it for one of my bag slots.

I dunno. I’ll have to check it out after this long update, but it feels like this is being blown out of proportion

Artorius.6178

….really?

I for one was annoyed with how the Shared Storage box mixed with my others at the top, making it seem like I had one excess slot at the bottom when I didn’t, which made it look wonky depending on how I shrunk the window.

That being said, I still appreciated the free slot and didn’t make a thread raving about it…Personally, I think being able to distinguish it from my own bag slots would be a good thing. Although I feel they should’ve given an option to put it either at the top or bottom of the inventory, I’m happy enough with not potentially mistaking it for one of my bag slots.

I dunno. I’ll have to check it out after this long update, but it feels like this is being blown out of proportion

So basically.. it’s now fixed for you and the ones who were negatively impacted by that non-optional fix are blowing it out of proportion..?

Posted by: Etienne.3049

Etienne.3049

After trying it for a few days, I also prefer the old way, now I’ve just got 4 slots of wasted space, which looks bad as well.

And a few notes in case anyone from Arenanet reads this:
The people who are content with a system tend not to be too vocal about it.
Options are generally good. Arbitrary changes, not so much.

Posted by: Nutjob.9021

Nutjob.9021

I’d like the option to move the line with the shared slots on it around like it’s a bag.

Posted by: Ovid.6893

Ovid.6893

Stupid change, ton’s of wasted space. I want the $70 I spent on these slots back.

Posted by: Liilu.4613

Liilu.4613

Absolutely don’t like the extra line. Wasted space and therefore more scrolling.
Need an option to change it back to the former layout where it merges with the normal slots.

Posted by: nrrpxl.7692

nrrpxl.7692

Hate the wasted space and extra scrolling.
Want the “hide bags” working for the shared slots too back.

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

i seem to be in the minority here, i like the change to the separate line and prefer how it is currently.

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

I feel really sorry for Anet since they clearly had good intentions, but honestly they should discuss changes like this more with the community or put up a poll or something. I was perfectly happy with how things were and thus I said nothing. If I however knew what was coming and that Anet wanted to change it, I would shout, cry and scream how stupid it is to change it up and that they absolutely should keep it the way it is. Or at least give us an option to choose.

Now I’m slowly starting to get used to the new system (I hate it, but what can I do….), so maybe by the time they get to change it again I will like it this way.
So in conclusion I’d like to ask Anet… whatever you choose to do, stick with it!!!! Seriously, nothing is worse than having someone get used to a system and then changing it quickly. I can get used to anything, but it takes time and feels extremely painful if I’m forced to do it again and again with every patch. I’d rather take a poorly implemented system/UI that I’m used to over a completely new one that might be slightly better (but probably isn’t).

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

This is a premium feature and it isn’t cheap.
I personally would prefer the option to choose, or the old setting back permanently.
Various people have various numbers of slots, and this will keep changing in the future.
I use mini inventory covering my mini map constantly and this is messing it up a lil.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

So it might introduce bugs? That’s a risk yeah, but those kind of obvious bugs would be detected and fixed by any competent engineer before they even committed their code.

These kind of options ain’t rocket science they just weren’t considered or weren’t considered important enough to implement. In general they don’t implement options leading to these kind of threads again and again because one size fits none.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

This is a premium feature and it isn’t cheap.
I personally would prefer the option to choose, or the old setting back permanently.
Various people have various numbers of slots, and this will keep changing in the future.
I use mini inventory covering my mini map constantly and this is messing it up a lil.

I like this version better than the original, but I’d still prefer to have the option to have the slots appear below the regular bags.

That way they wouldn’t cause shifts in regular inventory alignment and the blank space that seems to offend some people would be a non-issue as well. Also, all my characters keep the stuff they always carry with them on the bottom, in invisible bags. The shared slots at the very end of that would be nicely in line with that scheme. For me, this would be perfect in every aspect.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I despised having the free Shared slot mixed in with my bags. I have no need for the slot. No use for the slot. It is just as wasted on me as the 13 Account-Bound Mini Queen Jennas were.

Now my Inventory is organized correctly again, which I appreciate. But the huge gap of emptiness at the top is a waste of space and makes me scroll more than usual. Probably better (for most people) at the bottom, since they are accessed less than other Inventory space. But better still to give us the OPTION of where we want it. And let us HIDE it. OPTIONS, guys! Stop forcing stuff on us! Not everyone has the same needs or desires.

O P T I O N S !

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Nanashi.8705

Nanashi.8705

Improvements
The Shared Inventory Slots can now be dragged to either the beginning or the end of the inventory. An additional Embed Shared Bag option in the inventory Options menu allows players to keep Shared Inventory Slots on their own row or have them embedded into the bag-slot grid view.

Options !!! Yay thx you thanks youu so much T___T

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Improvements
The Shared Inventory Slots can now be dragged to either the beginning or the end of the inventory. An additional Embed Shared Bag option in the inventory Options menu allows players to keep Shared Inventory Slots on their own row or have them embedded into the bag-slot grid view.

Options !!! Yay thx you thanks youu so much T___T

Yep. Now this should makes practically everyone happy.

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

The emptiness that the visual change made is a bit disorienting, after being used to seeing all the top rows filled with a slot. I get it, it’s leaving extra space so that people who want to spend the crazy amount of gems/gold/$ on shared slots can fill them up, but until that happens, it feels…unbalanced.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: xrrpxl.8470

xrrpxl.8470

“Embed Shared Bag option” – excellent! Exactly what I wanted. Thanks