Should ANet change the Floppy Fish?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Emiko.3217

Emiko.3217

How about this as an idea if (Anet wants) – install fishing in the game for our characters!

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

It seems a few of the posters above need to brush up on their reading comprehension. JAFW isn’t asking for the fish to be removed from the game nor is she being overly sensitive and complaining. I’ve never known JAFW to behave in such a way.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

It’s not a Magikarp reference?

GG putting two and two together, Water Dragon confirmed.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: Myhr.9108

Myhr.9108

No, really, ANet shouldn’t change it, because kitten political correctness. That is in the same league than people that tried (and sadly, succeded) in making ANet feel guilty for their plane joke for 2015 april’s fool.

If it really disturbs you, you can move away, it’s the pet of another player, not yours. My point is : if you don’t like it, ignore it, as it’s not forced unto you. I really don’t see why it disturbs people so greatly, unless they think about it hard, and take the time to actually observe the animation, in which case…maybe the problem is not in the animation.

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

My advice to you OP is to watch the fish closely. If the fish dies at some point then it was truly suffocating. If it continues to flop around and never dies it simply has no legs. I hear ANet likes to add long loop animations so make sure to really study it for a good amount of time just to make sure.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

It seems a few of the posters above need to brush up on their reading comprehension. JAFW isn’t asking for the fish to be removed from the game nor is she being overly sensitive and complaining. I’ve never known JAFW to behave in such a way.

Reading comprehension?

-snip-The question is, should ANet keep this animation or change it to a swimming animation. -snip- I would vote for a change in animation. Your thoughts?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Reading comprehension?

-snip-The question is, should ANet keep this animation or change it to a swimming animation. -snip- I would vote for a change in animation. Your thoughts?

You left out a later post of mine where I said,

If after looking it over they decide to change the animation then I’ll buy it. If they don’t, then that’s their choice. I’m perfectly capable of ignoring it as is, but neither will I buy it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Whitworth.7259

Whitworth.7259

I think the next mini should be a nice block of cheese to go with all this whine.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think it’s perfectly fine. Just like the different kinds of content, such as Raids, it does not appeal to everyone, but does to some. Not my cup of tea, again, such as Raids, but I would not ask for it/them to be changed, because some enjoy it/them.

Variety is always good. Everything does not have to appeal to everyone, not even to the majority (such as Raids).

Good luck.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

He’s having a good time, just look at his happy face.

lol

Attachments:

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

My view is that humans have a very strange way of treating animals with favouritism. I don’t think that the controversy around the mini pet is A-net’s issue, but more of a social one. And it’s an uncomfortable one to think about- it’s convenient to only have to care about animals that are cute (to avoid having to think about the suffering we cause to the rest).

So in that respect, I agree that it’s a shame that most people don’t bat an eye if they see an animation based on the death throes of a real animal.

Sure, we see animations of animals and people being injured in game all the time. I suppose there are a couple of key differences here:
-The mini doesn’t seem relevant to current events (April fish, perhaps? shrugs)
-It’s perhaps a little too jarring/realistic to what we would expect animation/creature-wise in-game (i.e. a dying giant wurm head crawling across the ground is ok- that’s entirely a fantasy creature)
-Choosing a non-enemy (?) creature model that appears to be dying seems like a strange choice of mini pet in general.
-That a dying animal is being sold as a novelty/comedy item

I saw that somebody said that WoW had a fish in a floating water bubble mini. I think that sounds a lot more interesting aesthetically as well as less… weird.

So uh… I don’t think A-net should change the mini. It would’ve been nice if something different was chosen to begin with, but oh well, I just won’t buy it. I think the mini has started an interesting dialogue here as well, so there’s that.

Inb4 next mini available: a moa walking around with its head buried in the ground

(edited by Crimson Clouds.4853)

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Looking forward to the next pet: a perpetually drowning cat that spasms as it drags itself around after you.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Looking forward to the next pet: a perpetually drowning cat that spasms as it drags itself around after you.

Ouch.

I did point out to another poster (a point that no one else picked up) that just because it’s a fish doesn’t mean it’s less upsetting to see it gasp for air. I then suggested as a thought exercise, would you be ok with a mini of a dog lying on its side gasping for air and flopping around to catch up with you?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

shop/toys

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Emiko.3217

Emiko.3217

I bought the Floppy Fish, and it’s as cute as can be!

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I think the point is that any personal discomfort one feels on seeing the mini is a result of the narrative one is applying to it rather than an intrinsic element of the mini itself.
The question I’m curious about is, are you capable of removing the “ick feeling” for yourself by making a conscious decision to alter the narrative you’re projecting onto it? Now that equally valid alternative narratives have been presented I mean. (Fair do’s to you if you can btw, it’s not an easy thing to do)

Someone may be able to “change the story in their mind” after reading the thread. However, most people in the game who dislike the mini’s animation will never see this thread. They simply won’t buy the mini. And that’s my point. ANet made this mini to make money. If it doesn’t meet their projected sales then it’s not a success for them. If it doesn’t sell well and ANet doesn’t know why people aren’t buying the mini then they won’t know they made a mistake or how to correct it.

I made the thread to point out to ANet that there is an Ick factor to the animation. If the animation is hurting sales and they don’t know why, then here is the reason. If after looking it over they decide to change the animation then I’ll buy it. If they don’t, then that’s their choice. I’m perfectly capable of ignoring it as is, but neither will I buy it.

That’s fair enough but now that it’s been released I don’t think it should be changed. Though the alternative suggestions in the thread sound fun too so my vote would be that there’s plenty of room for more than one fish in the (BLT)C.
=D

Personally I’ve always loved the dolphins and whales in the game more than the fish so my vote would be for mystical floating waterball dolphins (that leapt and frolicked out of the bubble in different directions) and not-so-mini sky whales. If fish I’d want a rolling hamsterball style fishbowl that splashed water as it went. If it was definitely going to be a floating water ball with fish in it I’d want it to be one of the tropical fish types with the elaborate fins because I think it’d look like they were keeping the ball afloat through their own magic. Just personal taste really.

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

They could have just always used the bubble glider and put it in its own bubble on land. lol

Posted by: Telemin.7380

Telemin.7380

I only vote to change it if they change it to a floppy disk.

Teh Ouchies

Posted by: Struth.6098

Struth.6098

I do find it mildly amusing that Just a flesh wound raises the issue. I don’t think I want a mini Black Knight spouting gore either.

https://youtu.be/zKhEw7nD9C4

(edited by Struth.6098)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: cadmiumgreen.8712

cadmiumgreen.8712

I think it’s hilarious, so I guess I have no pity for pixels. I’m sorry you had a negative reaction to it Flesh Wound.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I think it’s hilarious, so I guess I have no pity for pixels. I’m sorry you had a negative reaction to it Flesh Wound.

I thought it was worth a thread to discuss it. And I’m glad you like it. I’m reminded now of an old saying that I heard back in the 60’s.

“Everyone to his own taste,” the old woman said when she kissed her cow.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

I thought it was worth a thread to discuss it. And I’m glad you like it. I’m reminded now of an old saying that I heard back in the 60’s.

Wonder how the cow felt about that….

Just a flesh wound.3589

Cows don’t have feelings. They’re animals. O.o
/sarcasm

Edit: added /sarcasm as some don’t know that /s means: not serious.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

If I had even the slightest belief that Anet was showing an animal in distress, I would agree that a change may be needed. I say this after killing many cows and moas .

That said, I’m willing to accept any story which points to the contrary, as this is a fantasy world. To quote Gnashblade, “I’ve heard of a fish out of water, but this is absurd. Thanks to certain, uh…proprietary advancements in magic, we’ve got a genuine Krytan* bass here that’ll follow you wherever you go.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/reel-in-a-mini-floppy-fish-today/

The proprietary advancement in magic is enough of an escape mechanism to put me at easy.

G R E E N E R

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I find it kind of sick and disturbing.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

The gasping like it’s “suffocating” is what I find disturbing. I know it’s not real, but watching a seemingly tortuous death that mimics something all too real made me feel uneasy. Take away the gasping look and just have it flopping around would make take away the majority of my negative feelings towards it.

I actually haven’t been playing the game for quite some time now and never saw the fish in a video or anything until this thread. Not sure I would have noticed if nobody brought it up.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

If I had even the slightest belief that Anet was showing an animal in distress, I would agree that a change may be needed. I say this after killing many cows and moas .

That said, I’m willing to accept any story which points to the contrary, as this is a fantasy world. To quote Gnashblade, “I’ve heard of a fish out of water, but this is absurd. Thanks to certain, uh…proprietary advancements in magic, we’ve got a genuine Krytan* bass here that’ll follow you wherever you go.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/reel-in-a-mini-floppy-fish-today/

The proprietary advancement in magic is enough of an escape mechanism to put me at easy.

But is it really a Bass cuz Southsun calls it a Tuna. :o

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

But is it really a Bass cuz Southsun calls it a Tuna. :o

It looks more like a Yellow jack, the same kind of fish that you use as bait to catch sharks.

and yes it looks amusing, I probably won’t buy it but my wife is thinking really hard about getting it, lol

Posted by: Lillith.3018

Lillith.3018

Good grief Anet!
Flopping half dead fish mini, before you know it we’ll be kicking chickens…oh wait!

I think I’ll pass as well…

Vive’ La Yaks Bend !

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

We literally have a severed wurm head that’s perpetually bleeding out and flopping around to follow you, desperately grasping at whatever life it has left…

… and this is what draws the line for some people? Really?? It’s a fantasy game. If magikarp can get over it, so can this fish. I certainly hope people aren’t seriously losing sleep over this…

(edited by Seabreeze.8437)

Posted by: SweetPotato.7456

SweetPotato.7456

The new mini pet, a Krytan Floppy Fish, is a fish out of water. It has a gasping for air animation and flops around on the ground. The question is, should ANet keep this animation or change it to a swimming animation. On one hand it is only pixels. No animals are being harmed. On the other hand, it’s depicting an animal suffocating and dying. As for myself, while I know it’s not real it does give me an “Ick feeling” as I watched it lie there gasping for air, so I would vote for a change in animation. Your thoughts?

Video of new mini pet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPSJQ6h8LnE

It is a Pokemon meme. Magicarp
It will turn into a dragon, (suggestion coming) if player take it with them on their journey and train it and does A, B and C.

Guild Wars 2 Forever

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

The new mini pet, a Krytan Floppy Fish, is a fish out of water. It has a gasping for air animation and flops around on the ground. The question is, should ANet keep this animation or change it to a swimming animation. On one hand it is only pixels. No animals are being harmed. On the other hand, it’s depicting an animal suffocating and dying. As for myself, while I know it’s not real it does give me an “Ick feeling” as I watched it lie there gasping for air, so I would vote for a change in animation. Your thoughts?

Video of new mini pet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPSJQ6h8LnE

I don’t think any alterations will be made to it now. What this thread does, however, is hopefully give Anet an indication of more thought being required before they release stuff like this. Of course, this may not change what ultimately gets released, but perhaps the critical process will be thoroughly examined beforehand.

I personally wouldn’t buy this due to its inherent taste issues.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: anninke.7469

anninke.7469

I might be a sick kitten but I find this mini totally absolutely hillarious. Actually, if I could get a sword (or mace) skin to go with it I’d be really plesased. (Fish slapping dance, anyone? )

And I just don’t see it “desperatly gasping for air in vain” or whatever. They do these mouth-moves in the water as well for breathing.

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

And yet you pity this poor fish. How strange…

When I first saw this pet, it was on Facebook with no sound. I rolled my eyes at the absurdity of it and scrolled on. I don’t think the fish flopping around is the problem. The fact that it’s making “gasping sounds”, as it is described, really seems to be the crux of the issue. Mute the pet, and everything should be fine, right?

Posted by: Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

Dont you ppl watch or play pokemon?
How come no one complain about the magikarp?
why no one ask to change magikarp animation?

Because pokemon is like 20y old.. 20 years ago ppl knew how to laugh at jokes, now this new generation takes everything serious..
Anet makes a joke, everyone has to find something that is disturbing and complain.

Is not the first time ppl come and complain about things that are funny but they make it look dark and cruel.

like ppl said here this is why we cant have nice things :P
People are just too sensitive nowadays and cant enjoy things

[DIE] Death is Energy

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

/s

You’ve never been around cows have you? Animals do have feelings, not the same as humans, perhaps, but they do have feelings.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Dont you ppl watch or play pokemon?
How come no one complain about the magikarp?
why no one ask to change magikarp animation?

Because pokemon is like 20y old.. 20 years ago ppl knew how to laugh at jokes, now this new generation takes everything serious..
Anet makes a joke, everyone has to find something that is disturbing and complain.

Is not the first time ppl come and complain about things that are funny but they make it look dark and cruel.

like ppl said here this is why we cant have nice things :P
People are just too sensitive nowadays and cant enjoy things

20 years ago I was already too old to be interested in Pokemon and still I don’t find unneccessary animal cruelty and torture funny.

What is the correct age to find dying fishes funny?

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Now, I’m not a mini collector, so I wouldn’t buy this item purely because of that. It’s not what I would choose to spend my money/gold on.

This mini, I find hilarious. It’s just my sense of humour though, similar sort of humour line of the Monty Python fish slapping dance. (You can watch that here)
I don’t believe the fish is dying, because it’s a magic fish, as stated in it’s description, it also apparently swims normally in water.

All these comments about finding a dying fish funny is just ridiculous given we slaughter lots and lots of creatures in this game for loot. Very hypocritical imo.

Firm believer of ‘if you don’t like it, ignore it’. you don’t have to buy it.

Kitten.

Posted by: Gop.8713

Gop.8713

The fact that the flopping fish mini would disturb some ppl highlights how far we as a species have divorced ourselves from the natural world. And that is alarming but I don’t think changing the mini is a solution. I’d say leave it as is . . .

Ameepa.6793

The fact that the flopping fish mini would disturb some ppl highlights how far we as a species have divorced ourselves from the natural world. And that is alarming but I don’t think changing the mini is a solution. I’d say leave it as is . . .

More alarming is that some people seem to find it funny. People knowing and respecting the nature do not laugh at suffering animals.

Posted by: Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

The thing is the fish is not dying, I mentioned the magikarp because it has the same animation but its not dying.
Its a magic fish in a magic world that’s all.
Stop trying to ruin GW2 please

[DIE] Death is Energy

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

If the flopping fish didn’t flop, it wouldn’t be a Flopping Fish. It’s a flopping fish, so it flops. Maybe it should sing the Boogie Bass songs?

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

More alarming is that some people seem to find it funny. People knowing and respecting the nature do not laugh at suffering animals.

Tell that to those dog breeds who have been bred to have skulls that are too small for their brains so that their eyes bulge out “cutely”. They suffer all their lives.

This animated fish, doesn’t.

Ameepa.6793

Tell that to those dog breeds who have been bred to have skulls that are too small for their brains so that their eyes bulge out “cutely”. They suffer all their lives.

This animated fish, doesn’t.

Indeed, that kind of sick breeding should have been made illegal ages ago.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

For those that are uneasy, but still want (to collect) the pet, it can be used only when underwater – no undesired animations, then. =)

Of course, that requires a bit of extra work, but I’m sure it would be worth it to those concerned about the fish.

Good luck.

Posted by: anxnox.9027

anxnox.9027

If it was identical fish just underwater with the same “dying animation” you wouldn’t mind, right?

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

This is what Anet spends time on instead of fixing real stuff.

Next pet will be a whale with a harpoon in it, dragging several japanese with it.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

This is what Anet spends time on instead of fixing real stuff.

Different teams work on gemstore releases and game design/programming…

Kitten.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

lets play a game were we run around murdering things,
oh, but that floppy fish hurts our feelz XD

how many tens of thousands of animals did you massacre for the 900 vials of blood which you needed to make your shiny Nevermore staff? XD