Should ANet change the Floppy Fish?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Thread bug, let’s crush it. Oh wait….

Some might say that’s cruelty to animals….Or even offensive to bugs the we refer to something broken as a “bug”…

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Posted by: TheAtomicBunny.3497

TheAtomicBunny.3497

well im not sure if it has been changed yet but there were some weapons when HoT came out the made enemies suffocate. i would like to see more things like this added in the future honestly. its not WoW so it shouldnt be kidlike. also the execute the excutioner achivement you guys changed in lake doric should have stayed the same and not been changed with a hotfix 3 days later. i worked HARD on that achievement as a commander to get it on the 2nd day of the launch and then you guys went and changed it. back to the original topic at hand though. i think the fish should stay the same but maybe do something special with it when you put it underwater. also i think itd have been funny to have a little mini fishy questline for it. you may think im cruel as well but i put it on my ranger with my pet bear. also i think you shouldnt change an animation on it after it has been released unless you really want to add more work for refunding gems. personally if it does get changed i will be one of the first to ask for a refund.

(edited by TheAtomicBunny.3497)

Posted by: TheAtomicBunny.3497

TheAtomicBunny.3497

Thread bug, let’s crush it. Oh wait….

Some might say that’s cruelty to animals….Or even offensive to bugs the we refer to something broken as a “bug”…

smasth the beetles! smasth em!

Posted by: Kenimich.4986

Kenimich.4986

The new mini pet, a Krytan Floppy Fish, is a fish out of water. It has a gasping for air animation and flops around on the ground. The question is, should ANet keep this animation or change it to a swimming animation. On one hand it is only pixels. No animals are being harmed. On the other hand, it’s depicting an animal suffocating and dying. As for myself, while I know it’s not real it does give me an “Ick feeling” as I watched it lie there gasping for air, so I would vote for a change in animation. Your thoughts?

Video of new mini pet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPSJQ6h8LnE

I watched the video, and it doesn’t look like it’s “gasping” – it looks like it’s breathing. Have you seen the underwater animation? Does it look the same? Then it’s probably not gasping.

You probably think it’s gasping because a fish normally would gasp while on land. However, the flavor text on the mini release explains why its just “breathing”:

I’ve heard of a fish out of water, but this is absurd. Thanks to certain, uh…proprietary advancements in magic, we’ve got a genuine Krytan* bass here that’ll follow you wherever you go.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

The Floppy Fish is no less happy flopping across the dunes of Dry Top than the Lion Cub is happy swimming through the depths of Frostgorge Sound.

Posted by: sevenDEADLY.5281

sevenDEADLY.5281

You can hurt yourself to your heart’s content. ^^

However that doesn’t mean I want a mini of someone that’s in pain and suffering to drag along behind me.

Then don’t buy it.. and then go about living your life without trying to make a political uprising on the forums in order to get it changed because you’re “uncomfortable”. Holy hell. You’re attempting to tell us how you’re not trying to police what other people can and cant have and then in the very next sentence trying to change something people already have so they can’t have it. How are you NOT seeing this?

You’re also PURPOSELY being obtuse and ignoring the fact that the item in question clearly states its a magical fish that IS NOT “in pain and suffering” and that you are only CHOOSING to view it that way.

Posted by: Jax.1283

Jax.1283

It’s a Miniature Pet for a game. It’s not even a real fish. Why be upset for it? Also to all of you going to assume I’m heartless or something. Maybe go help a stray or suffering animal in real life?The time you are wasting caring about a pet that doesn’t exist could be used to help a real one. You are welcome for being brought back to reality.

Rai
OCX Commander

(edited by Jax.1283)

Posted by: Ultimaistanza.4793

Ultimaistanza.4793

If we’re going down this road of thinking, then shouldn’t this count for at least 1/4th of the minis in game currently? I mean almost every form of dragon minion is a creature taken against it’s will and changed into these monstrosities that, in some cases, still retain parts of their mind. So, they are basically being dragged around in this former body of theirs while they commit unspeakable acts of horror. Is this not at least as sever as a fish that may or may not be able to breath because it’s designed to be a JOKE MINI.

No real sense in wasting dev’s time in both changing it and support’s time dealing with tickets asking for a refund because of the alteration.

(edited by Ultimaistanza.4793)

Posted by: Tibicia.8315

Tibicia.8315

I saw it for the first time, tonight, and was horrified. I then spent two hours trying to decide if I would say anything or consider not playing the game for the next few weeks while this current fad wears off.
It may be pixels, but then why not make a mini of kittens being drowned in bag?

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

why not make a mini of kittens being drowned in bag?

Omg I would so buy that mini… That would be cruel yet funny to have in game . =)

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

What I don’t get, is basically everyone collects a menagerie of wild animals and humans (Slavery?) yet don’t find that at all offensive.

So, we’ve already covered the fact the fish isn’t dying, due to it being magic, and not bloody real, we should also note that if you don’t like this mini, just don’t buy it.

Put in a request for another mini fish in a bubble, by all means, but don’t change something people have already bought and find funny. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it should be altered, just go about your usual business.

Kitten.

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

That’s what I want in a game an animal dying painfully… Seriously the only time a fish does that is when it’s dying. I don’t care if they keep it in game, though, it’s a bad idea to have made it at all. A Risen fish would have been in better taste. At least we could forgive the macabre humor of the pet.

And now I’m sad, the humor of this game is like that dying fish gone. Seriously is this what passes for content? No wonder we can’t have fun classes, better weapon skins, or less cookie cutter characters they’re having fun animating a dying fish…

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

It’s a Miniature Pet for a game. It’s not even a real fish. Why be upset for it? Also to all of you going to assume I’m heartless or something. Maybe go help a stray or suffering animal in real life?The time you are wasting caring about a pet that doesn’t exist could be used to help a real one. You are welcome for being brought back to reality.

Please help out a real animal and stop pretending this fish is dying.

Posted by: Jax.1283

Jax.1283

That’s what I said please read again…..

Rai
OCX Commander

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

I’m getting flashbacks from that plane joke Anet pulled off on April fools. The culture of outrage never ceases to amaze me.

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I’m getting flashbacks from that plane joke Anet pulled off on April fools. The culture of outrage never ceases to amaze me.

(Slight derail but I’ve said all there is to say about a fish at this point)
There was drama over that?
I wasn’t active on the forums at the time so I missed all of that.
What could have possibly caused complaints? It was essentially the first few minutes of Up.

*edit, maybe if anyone feels like cluing me in it’d be better to pm me so as to keep the thread on whatever’s left of the topic?

(edited by Rashagar.8349)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I saw it for the first time, tonight, and was horrified. I then spent two hours trying to decide if I would say anything or consider not playing the game for the next few weeks while this current fad wears off.

Did you try to take a swim with a kitten minipet?
If you did, you are a horrible person.

PS: i also don’t remember what the problem with the plane joke was. Anyone can enlighten me?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

PS: i also don’t remember what the problem with the plane joke was. Anyone can enlighten me?

For some strange reason, maybe my memory is fuzzy here, people got offended by the arms forming a plane and the player character making funny silly sounds because it was offended to actual ‘mentally-impaired’ people?

I feel like there was a thread talking about it.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

For some strange reason, maybe my memory is fuzzy here, people got offended by the arms forming a plane and the player character making funny silly sounds because it was offended to actual ‘mentally-impaired’ people?

wasn’t it because there was a huge plane crash somewhere (I forget where exactly it was, Germany I think) and people found it in bad taste to have a plane representation in the game? or something like that. I don’t completely remember.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Iirc, It was because of a plane crash prior to this April fools prank, people thought it was in bad taste, even though the coding was done well before the incident occured.

Kitten.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If I remember correctly people have complained about every single April Fool’s Day joke Anet have ever done – plane arms, bobble heads, SAB, swapping the size of mini pets and players in towns in GW1, fake patch notes, the whole Commander thing (both complaining that it was fake because they wanted it and complaining that they’d even joke about it being real)…

Still it’s a step up from my other MMO where people complain about them doing literally anything for April Fools because they say it’s not part of the games lore…even though it is.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: neven.3785

neven.3785

I am totally against the animation being changed from what it is. People paid gems for the mini the way it is, it is their fault for not previewing it prior if they are unhappy with it. Animal rights groups have no place in a game like this, as the whole premise is violence based. If you are upset about a flopping fish, what is next for you to want to change, remove leatherworking? Afterall, wildlife in this game was not killed in a humane way, be burn them we bleed them, repeatedly strike them and that is far from quick and painless.

In my opinion arenanet has already once gone too far appeasing these special interest groups when they changed whales from neutral to friendly. The fall out of not doing so would have been negligible. A few players quit, if they make a fuss, then a lot of free advertising. Afterall they were not actively promoting a whale hunt, most people avoid underwater neutral creatures like the plague. Just as in this fishy case here, anet is not telling you to go to the supermarket, buy a tilapia and have you throw it on the floor to watch it flop to its death. To even suggest they are is just ridiculous.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

When did they change whales? My oldest screenshot is of a humpback whale I found during one of the first betas after pre-purchase and that’s friendly, so I thought they’d always been friendly.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

So having a magical (yes) minipet fish that flops around and has FISH ANIMATIONS is bad and heartless…but butchering countless innocent moas, squirels, bunnies, boars, wolfs, baracudas, DOLYAKS, various types of birds and many other animals is okay?

What about that mini triple trouble wurm? should we change him as well cause hes obviously decapitated,leaking fluids in order to follow us around?…

WHAT KIND OF A THREAD IS THIS?

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

5 pages for floppy fish thread? lol

Well while you all were arguing, me and Mr. Fishington have been chilling on the beach.

Attachments:

Posted by: Deimos.4263

Deimos.4263

This is a game where you habitually kill humans (and other things) extra-judicially and take their stuff. The fish is fine.

Posted by: ratche.6204

ratche.6204

I find it very strange that in a game where you, ah Deimos beat me to it. What he said.

Sartharina.3542

Because there are already minis of kittens and cats and dogs drowning, just not in a bag. Grab any small critter mini, then go underwater.

Posted by: AzureWolf.9150

AzureWolf.9150

What has become of the internet in the last few years? Like people are offended by ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. People have become so touchy.

If a floppy fish in a video game “hurts” your “safe space” so much then that’s a sign you need to put on your big girl/boy pants and grow up.

Shouldn’t you people be complaining about the mini chickenado as well? It’s clearly a distressed chicken and its eggs forever stuck in a tornado. https://youtu.be/Ts_inBW-jDA

Although the chicken in the chickenado is not having her best day, the chicken isn’t “suffocating” or “dying”, while the fish clearly is. A better analogy would be if the chicken mini was running around after being beheaded … and no, I wouldn’t buy that either.

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

That’s what I said please read again…..

Oh sorry. I was agreeing with you >_< I should of mentioned that.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I’ve just spoken to the fish and he says he’s just fine. He’s always wanted to be out of that darned water and he thinks you should save your pity for someone who needs it.

That fish spotted me when I was on vacation in Southsun Cove while swimming and decided to follow me home. Despite many attempts to make it go away, I sighed, gave up and adopted the fish. As you know, in Tyria, when a fish adopts you, it adopts you for life and will follow you to the ends of the earth. I named him Filet and we take long walks through the wilds of Tyria and of course I make sure to give him plenty of swim time whenever we encounter water. Filet has turned out to be a faithful friend and travel companion. He is versatile and has saved my life on several occasions – one time he flipped and slid under an angry char causing him to slip and fall so Filet and I could get away while that char was figuring out what had happened. Lesson to be learned here is never underestimate the fish who follows you home…

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

wasn’t it because there was a huge plane crash somewhere (I forget where exactly it was, Germany I think) and people found it in bad taste to have a plane representation in the game? or something like that. I don’t completely remember.

Yes. There was a plane hijacked and crashed a week or so before the April Fools on the opposite side of the world from ANet and people over there thought ANet should have made a connection between the 2.

However the two animations aren’t comparable. An animation of people running around pretending to be airplanes is not an animation of a plane being hijacked and crashed. An animation of a fish out of water gasping for air is an animation of a fish out of water gasping for air.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

The animation is the default tuna animation. It’s not gasping for air, it’s breathing.

Stop making alternative facts and getting offended by them.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Except it’s not dying. That’s what you want to interpret here, when in fact it’s a magical fish that can breathe on land except it has no legs(meaning it needs to flop) and is still a fish so it needs to keep making the same gasping motions it does underwater.

You can certainly decide to view it this way. Personally, when I see a fish flopping around out of water, my instinct is “put it back in the water before it dies!” So constantly seeing a fish flopping out of water irritates me like constantly hearing a baby crying.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: AriaFiresong.7023

AriaFiresong.7023

Man, did people raise this big of a ruckus about the severed bleeding wurm head mini that flops after you?

Sykper.6583

Man, did people raise this big of a ruckus about the severed bleeding wurm head mini that flops after you?

Or the Heart quest involving throwing nets on Baby Dolyaks and likely killing their parent so you can capture them properly. I especially liked the Frog ‘Juicer’ that you threw on bandits so drakes could attack them, or you could kill the drakes for credit.

The amount of exceptional denial people complaining about the fish is pretty ironic.

Anyone who takes a high horse on this is being hypocritical. Enough said.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

According to Gnashblade’s own blurb, these fishes came from Lake Doric. It’s possible that they got mutated somehow by the Bloodstone magic to be capable of surviving outside of water. (Although being fish, they probably don’t like it based on memory alone.) Still, the fact that the fish can “follow” you so energetically around out of water suggests to me that it’s perfectly fine and not hurt by being outside of water.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

According to Gnashblade’s own blurb, these fishes came from Lake Doric. It’s possible that they got mutated somehow by the Bloodstone magic to be capable of surviving outside of water. (Although being fish, they probably don’t like it based on memory alone.) Still, the fact that the fish can “follow” you so energetically around out of water suggests to me that it’s perfectly fine and not hurt by being outside of water.

Filet left Lake Doric because he was looking for his home in the fjords which is why I found him in Southsun Cove……

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Is it flopping around….or is it dancing with the joy of having been freed from its watery prison?

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Or the Heart quest involving throwing nets on Baby Dolyaks and likely killing their parent so you can capture them properly. I especially liked the Frog ‘Juicer’ that you threw on bandits so drakes could attack them, or you could kill the drakes for credit.

The amount of exceptional denial people complaining about the fish is pretty ironic.

Anyone who takes a high horse on this is being hypocritical. Enough said.

First, I can’t tell unless I look up close that the wurm mini is severed or bleeding. I frankly didn’t even know that since I don’t have one. And you aren’t surrounded by those hearts all the time.

Second, no one is on a high horse. People are simply expressing their opinion.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Sartharina.3542

What the heck is with all the people saying “The fish is gasping for air”? Fish never “gasp for air”, because they don’t breathe air in the first place, unless they’re magical like the Floppy Fish, which breathes air just as well as water.

The flopping is its only means of transportation on the ground. Ranger pets and animal minis desperately paddle around when you go underwater.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

What the heck is with all the people saying “The fish is gasping for air”? Fish never "gasp for air", because they don’t breathe air in the first place, unless they’re magical like the Floppy Fish, which breathes air just as well as water.

The flopping is its only means of transportation on the ground. Ranger pets and animal minis desperately paddle around when you go underwater.

Fish in water with low or no oxygen will gasp for air at the water’s surface. Fish out of water will also gasp for air as they are trying to breath from the mouth since the gills are not able to get enough oxygen to them.

My fish are gasping
The water surface contains the highest levels of dissolved oxygen, so when fish can’t get enough they’ll rise to the top and gasp.

fish gasping at surface of pond
A: If your koi are coming to the surface of the pond to gulp for air, they’re doing more than just saying hi. … Due to a lack of aeration or poor water quality, your pond’s water probably does not have enough dissolved oxygen in it for the fish to “breathe,” so they’re gasping for oxygen from the air.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

This fish crystallized what I had in my mind some time already: we need to be able to select an above-water mini and a below-water mini (just like ranger pets). Then everybody can buy a fish like this, even if they feel it’s cruelty to put it above water. Simply select it as an underwater-mini!

Posted by: Nury.3062

Nury.3062

What the actual kitten. Are you seriously talking about a mini…the animation of a mini. I killed countless fishes,sylvari,chars,dogs,drakes,wyverns…etc. and you complain about a mini…the animation of a mini.What in the name of Balthazar is happening with the people nowadays?! 2017…the year where we complain about a mini’s animation… Overly sensitive…or what?! still hard for me to understand…

—-Balthazar Order [Gods]—-
“We are now! We are forever!”

Sykper.6583

Second, no one is on a high horse. People are simply expressing their opinion.

Yes, and from what I have gathered people asking for the Floppy Fish to change are calling those wanting it to remain the same some manner of a Sadist.

It’s a ludicrous position to take, we’re talking about fish that doesn’t exist in the real world, of which is advertised as something magically abnormal and somehow at this late in the game they perceive it as ‘shocking’.

How much violence do you think is in this game? When you kill a Charr NPC with a fire-based attack, the death animation has the charr screaming as if it is being burned alive, flailing its arms trying to put out the flames. We also go kill Zombie enemies, with all the grotesque innards and limbs out in full view, some zombies don’t have eyes!

I am not saying they don’t have a right to an opinion, but given all the other things in this game that they haven’t spoken up about, the opinion that somehow a Floppy Fish is shocking and needs to be changed is outright disingenuous. I take into question the sincerity of the OP’s request. I am willing to be the OP is trolling everyone and managed to get some actual people who care about fish made of pixels.

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I wonder if people were this up in arms when they saw Magikarp in Pokemon…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

It abandoned the water just like Anet did xD

Sykper.6583

It abandoned the water just like Anet did xD

I admit, I laughed.

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

I think the next toy they add to the game should be a fishing pole with special animation if you have the fish mini-pet active.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Well Fleshy, you certainly fed chum to the sharks with this one.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.