Should I introduce GW2 to my son?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

Hello everyone, I just want to know if its a good idea to introduce GW2 to my 10 yrs. old son. I’ve been playing this game for the last 10 months and I really liked it. My son sees I played and he seems to be interested in it. He usually plays fps games. I’m sure he will like the asura engie class. Im afraid he will be too addicted to it like me. So what do you think, go or no go?

vvuevv

Posted by: Loki.8793

Loki.8793

As the father, you will understand your child more than anything else on this forum. You also said you’ve played the game for 10 months, so you should be a good judge of the content of the game as a whole.

I’m not sure I’m understanding the question.

Do I think your Son would like the game? Who knows, I have no idea what his likes and dislikes are? Do I think this game is inappropriate for a 10 year old? No. Are you afraid he’ll get addicted to it? That’s the danger of MMOs in general.

As I said, I have no idea what your child is like, so it would be hard to make any informative call. I’d say “trust your gut” and do what you think. You’ll have better insight than anyone else who responds to this thread on this issue.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If your son starts spending too much time on the game then like anything else he might be doing too much of, you restrict access. Just like you would do if he was watching too much tv or anything else. It wouldn’t hurt to let him play. You can turn off map and say chat if needed and he could play alongside you.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Loki has some very good points.
I will just add- do you plan on playing with your son?

We got the game for our 6 year old daughter because she kept sitting on our laps when we play- she is a bit young but she enjoys just running around and looking at the world and harvesting stuff and unlocking waypoints.

A ten year old is of course much more capable-
really it is up to you

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: jayvux.4128

jayvux.4128

Just to add a bit more,
Also consider the fact that your addiction may conflict with you restricting your son from playing too much.
“How come you get to play more than me dad?!”- Son

Dun dun…DUNNN.

Just all bout being a role model; so I would try to hide my extra hours of GW2 from him haha.

GM of Leaders [LEAD]
Server: Darkhaven (fb.com/groups/guildwars2darkhaven)
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJayvux

(edited by jayvux.4128)

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I have a son the same age, and agreeing w/Loki only you will know that answer. But if I could nudge you in a direction, since this was brought to a community forum, if you have to ask in safety of your child, you already have the answer you’re looking for.

My son is the same age, in our house, and typing this I want to emphasize this is what we believe is good for our family and in no way have an opinion of how others should raise their kids,

No games Mon-thurs (school nights for him)
No fps, or games w/emphasis killing realism (cod, battlefield, GTA you get the picture).

For myself I only game when hes at school, or after he goes to bed. My gaming consist of one MMO at a time. This also frees up gaming on the WiiU together on the weekends….when I can drag him away from minecraft to game w/his old man.

JQ Druid

IVIUIEI.9631

My ideas were to have him play along with me on the weekend only. I have a second desktop that was use for movies only, its got a low end graphics card on it. But I’m not sure if Anet allows two account per ip. Gaming for him is only on the the weekends.

vvuevv

Posted by: An Siorai Tharian.4516

An Siorai Tharian.4516

Just to add a bit more,
Also consider the fact that your addiction may conflict with you restricting your son from playing too much.
“How come you get to play more than me dad?!”- Son

Dun dun…DUNNN.

This can of course be countermanded by the ability of adults to restrict their own access if doing so is in the best interest of their children. At least that is what a responsible parent would do, I would hope.

If it were me and my own kid, and he were 10 years old or younger. I would of course restrict his access to FPS Games that are rated for adult audiences. Because games of that sort of graphic nature can be quite damaging to a child’s developing psyche. I would of course do the same thing when it comes to rated R or higher movies.

I would not however forbid my child from going to an Art Museum where nudes are on display because those type of images are artistic renderings of the human body and are not in my humble opinion harmful to a child.

That said, nothing in Guild Wars, with the possible exception of Zhaitan and some of the other undead entities, can truly be said to be graphic in nature. And even those are graphic in an artistic manner. And there is very little done in the way of mutilating corpses and stuff of that nature. So I would see no problem with letting a 10 year old play a game like this, so long as I was there to play it with them.

If however, I thought that they were playing too much, I would of course restrict the amount of time they are allowed to play the game. I would also do the same thing to myself so that they can’t complain that I get to play and they don’t.

For the record, I am a 30 year old.

My ideas were to have him play along with me on the weekend only. I have a second desktop that was use for movies only, its got a low end graphics card on it. But I’m not sure if Anet allows two account per ip. Gaming for him is only on the the weekends.

A guy at my church and his roomate play from the same apartment/house. So yes, I think they do allow the use of the same IP, so long as both games are registered to different accounts.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA
Ranger 80 | Elementalist 30 | Guardian 29 | Necromancer 21

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

Hello everyone, I just want to know if its a good idea to introduce GW2 to my 10 yrs. old son. I’ve been playing this game for the last 10 months and I really liked it. My son sees I played and he seems to be interested in it. He usually plays fps games. I’m sure he will like the asura engie class. Im afraid he will be too addicted to it like me. So what do you think, go or no go?

I don’t think this would be a problem. I don’t think the average age for the game is much more than that.

Morrigan.2809

It is not a problem- we have 3 desktops and three separate accounts on the same IP

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

Just keep him off the forums, this place is a breeding ground for kittens. While there are legitimate post and good discussion, I feel at times this place is just a bottomless pit of hatred.

[DONE]

Posted by: Mojo.7986

Mojo.7986

I let my 9 year old play. Some of you may have followed his commander tag at the temples on Blackgate. He is also a master at jumping puzzles. I let him play it since he had an interest in it.

It has taught him how to type when he needs to tell me something in game. He has learned the value of currency, which is hard to teach kids. He used to spend all his gold but now saves. He had to learn to read better.

He does well at it and has fun. Ironically, he has the same complaints many people on the forum do. He can handle it. He gets to see colorful language many times. But asa father, I’d rather teach him how to deal with different distractions in the world rather than hid them from him. How to integrate games with school and life (he gets all A’s or doesn’t play…bribery!).

Having said that, I wouldn’t let my younger one near it, likely not even when he is the same age. They are all different. So if you think your son/daughter would handle what they experience, give it a shot. I find it is better to let them try and fail so they understand why you say no.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

If I had a son, I would not want him to develope same kind of MMO addiction that I have. :P

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If I had a son, I would not want him to develope same kind of MMO addiction that I have. :P

I would. Because the other addiction options are far far worse. My sons are addicted to computer games…but neither of them drink, smoke or do drugs.

When I was young it was watching too much tv…now it’s playing computer games. So people get addicted to sports.

It’s definitely the lesser of evils from my point of view.

An Siorai Tharian.4516

I would. Because the other addiction options are far far worse. My sons are addicted to computer games…but neither of them drink, smoke or do drugs.

When I was young it was watching too much tv…now it’s playing computer games. So people get addicted to sports.

It can still be a problem if you let the addiction go too far. And unfortunately some people have.

Some people have played for so many consecutive hours in a row while fighting a single boss (in another game) that they ended up literally getting physically ill while playing the game as a result of not resting for such a long period of time (playing video games for more than 18 hours in a row is not healthy). Other people have actually gotten fired from their jobs because they couldn’t learn to stop playing games and actually do what their bosses told them to do instead. Some people have even lost girlfriends, wives, or children because of their video game addiction.

Suffice to say getting addicted to this stuff is not always the healthiest choice a person can make for themselves. It can ruin your life, just like any addiction. Which is why teaching a kid who is interested in gaming the proper attitudes about restraint, and how to do their work before getting to their gaming is incredibly important.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It can still be a problem if you let the addiction go too far. And unfortunately some people have.

Some people have played for so many consecutive hours in a row while fighting a single boss (in another game) that they ended up literally getting physically ill while playing the game as a result of not resting for such a long period of time (playing video games for more than 18 hours in a row is not healthy). Other people have actually gotten fired from their jobs because they couldn’t learn to stop playing games and actually do what their bosses told them to do instead. Some people have even lost girlfriends, wives, or children because of their video game addiction.

Suffice to say getting addicted to this stuff is not always the healthiest choice a person can make for themselves. It can ruin your life, just like any addiction. Which is why teaching a kid who is interested in gaming the proper attitudes about restraint, and how to do their work before getting to their gaming is incredibly important.

Sure so teaching kids young to stand up and stretch regularly, and make sure you eat is probably a good thing.

An Siorai Tharian.4516

Sure so teaching kids young to stand up and stretch regularly, and make sure you eat is probably a good thing.

and to get at least 8 hours of regular sleep?

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA

Posted by: Sinikka.2794

Sinikka.2794

I will likely be getting the game for my 10yo daughter for Christmas. She loves to sit and watch me play, and I occasionally let her run around in the towns. She does the same thing in FFXIV. She’s got limited screen time (she earns her screen time through exercising/playing and reading), only plays when I am with her, and our computers are located in another building on our property and not our house (so no sneaking at night!), so I am not worried about the addiction bit.

She isn’t allowed to even see the chat; I put a sticky note over that portion of the screen when she’s there. It doesn’t bother her a bit.

She keeps begging me to let her make a “plant person”. I told her if she could remember what they’re really called for a month, I’d let her. ;D

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

No.

Rather buy him minecraft. It’ll boost his creativity and serve him better than mindless MMO.

I bought my sister minecraft and she’s really into whole building aspect of it (she’s 11 years old).

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I have a son the same age, and agreeing w/Loki only you will know that answer. But if I could nudge you in a direction, since this was brought to a community forum, if you have to ask in safety of your child, you already have the answer you’re looking for.

My son is the same age, in our house, and typing this I want to emphasize this is what we believe is good for our family and in no way have an opinion of how others should raise their kids,

No fps, or games w/emphasis killing realism (cod, battlefield, GTA you get the picture).

For myself I only game when hes at school, or after he goes to bed. My gaming consist of one MMO at a time. This also frees up gaming on the WiiU together on the weekends….when I can drag him away from minecraft to game w/his old man.

GW2 doesn’t have much ‘violence’ in it either, it’s pretty unrealistic in that point of view (omg I’m shooting light bubbles). I would keep him clear of PvP though, that’s not the best place for a child, too many people enjoy ganking new players.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: yksdoris.2194

yksdoris.2194

I don’t have kids but I’ve got a guildie who got a GW2 account for her daughter, and she mostly liked exploring the starter areas (she particularly loved swimming around in LA and talking to the Quaggan NPCs). I hung out with her a couple of times, but what she really liked best was roaming around with mom. It can be a bonding experience. When I was little I’d imitate my mom; and we’d knit and crochet and stuff…

Games help develop children’s imagination and social skills. Also, good point about the typing and reading skills. We’ve got too many illiterate people in the world

so, if you make sure that your son doesn’t get too deep into the game, and he would understand that too much immersion is not a good thing; with maybe structuring the gaming experience so that there are other games that you do together too… like… I don’t know, monopoly or laser tag, which hurts less than paintball, or something :P

#ELEtism
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’d chose other things to do before video gaming. If a child really wanted to play a game, then I’d try to introduce them to games that are less demanding of their time. Something they can turn on for just 30 minutes to an hour a day.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Children can more easily get addicted to things then adults. That is true. But on the other side, children can also more easily get over an addiction. They pout and moan a bit, but 10 minutes later they pick up a ball and are playing basketball. Two things you have to keep in mind. The first is that kids tend to copy the behaviour off their parents. So if you spent too much time on the game (and he sees that) he will more likely copy that and it is much more likely that he wont get off as easily. The second is that you have to make strict and clear rules bout it. So after your kid get home from school first homework, no skipping meals. After homework is done (maybe even let him show it) he can play GW2, but no langer then an x amount off time. On weekends/hollidays you can stretch it, but dont let him play hours and hours in a row.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

Hide map/say chat.

An Siorai Tharian.4516

isn’t there a function in the game software to disable the chat log box so that you can’t see what is being said in chat in general? Or that you can disable certain elements of the chat log, such as what people have been suggesting in turning off the Map and Say Dialogue Options?

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

isn’t there a function in the game software to disable the chat log box so that you can’t see what is being said in chat in general? Or that you can disable certain elements of the chat log, such as what people have been suggesting in turning off the Map and Say Dialogue Options?

Yep you can disable map chat, my guild leader does it :p

And yes gaming is much better than the alternative addictions, there’s so much to learn and discover

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

One of my guildmates plays the game with his 10 year old son….and I think it’s a great father/son activity.

But you’re the parent, it is up to you to decide.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Sadly theres no hope for anyone here. But you can save your son Try to discourage him from games a bit. Im not saying video games are bad and are the cause of violence(I think that argument is stupid). But too many kids spend their childhoods inside and online rather than outdoors getting dirty. My childhood consisted of basketball until it got dark out, baseball busting barn windows, man hunt at night, building forts…getting dirty.

Today, kids are just on the computer. Be the example and one of the few parents(myself included) that would rather the kid go outside and track in mud..than sit on his butt playing video games all day.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Zerole.7306

Zerole.7306

Debating the same thing right now with my daughter. She sees my wife and I play with our friends (going on 15 years of games together as a “guild”) and naturally wants to join in. We would need to set up special times for her to play though, because she wouldn’t be able to handle the tactics and communication aspect of the game (such as dungeons), but over all I think it would be positive for her.

There are far worse things for kids to get into than computer games.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

My son is ten, has his own account.

Be warned.

Tybalt made him cry a little.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Morrigan.2809

Many people have suggested playing outside in favor of video games and I just want to say that not all people have the luxury of an outside space or even safety to do that.

I know several people who live in high rise flat building with / with out a balcony or or even a safe outside space for young kids.
In a scenario like this video games can be a very positive experience, certainly more than the TV.
It can also be a bonding experience for parents and kids- I mean really how lucky are you if you can share interests with your kid?

As for the whole addiction thing- Parents are the ones to be the example and set the rules- kids learn from that and they are very flexible at such a young age

You know best OP- but GW2 is a very good choice for a game

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Many people have suggested playing outside in favor of video games and I just want to say that not all people have the luxury of an outside space or even safety to do that.

I know several people who live in high rise flat building with / with out a balcony or or even a safe outside space for young kids.
In a scenario like this video games can be a very positive experience, certainly more than the TV.
It can also be a bonding experience for parents and kids- I mean really how lucky are you if you can share interests with your kid?

As for the whole addiction thing- Parents are the ones to be the example and set the rules- kids learn from that and they are very flexible at such a young age

You know best OP- but GW2 is a very good choice for a game

We used to make wings and attach them to ourselves jumping off the roof of houses. Maybe your friends in the high rise flats can do the same.

Kidding.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Chidori.9483

Chidori.9483

If he’s already playing computer games, why not GW2? I say let him play, and you can spend quality time with him.

LOYALTY | HONOR | DEDICATION | RESPECT | FAMILY | LIQUOR
_____________________ VANQUISH _____________________

Posted by: ghettogenius.9174

ghettogenius.9174

When GW2 was released I bought 2 copies … one for myself and one for my son. He was 9 at the time but had already taken an interest into PC games like Minecraft and Roblox so I felt it would be a good opportunity to enjoy something together. I felt the lack of trinity roles would be easier for him since he would not be under so much pressure from other players to perform specific duties like “healer” or “tank”.

It has taught him typing skills, math skills, hand eye coordination, how to work groups to achieve goals, how to manage his time (since we use a token rewards system which helps regulate how much screen time he can have, proper online etiquette, and much more. All this is huge considering he was diagnosed with autism at a very young age and has been working on his social skills ever since. I don’t attribute all his success to GW2 but it certainly has played a part.

Interestingly enough he has become quite the competent player. He mains a necro but has tried nearly all the professions, has completed Mad Kings Clock Tower and many other jumping puzzles, plays sPvP and WvW, organized and run dungeons, soloed most of his story quests and other LS content. He can get competitive at times but if he gets out line I just reel him in. I’d like to think his exposure here has had a profound impact on his interest in technology – he thinks computers are cool and envies his father that gets to spend all day working with them (developer). The other day I came home and found him trying to brute force hack my router so he could add his IP in order to run his own Minecraft server lol. He’s a chip off the old block.

Ultimately OP you should know your child best in terms of their capabilities, but I would say GW2 is among the safest and kid-friendliest games out there.

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

make sure ur son stays in school and learns to live things like science and other things. dont get him into videogames too much….a little yes because it does help develop a child’s creativity along with other things. i would suggest playing games like zelda with ur son, and play the game with him to help solve puzzles and beat bosses. a game like this does not provide and real complexity for a developing mind. unless you want to do jumping puzzles with him all day….

Posted by: zacharias.5437

zacharias.5437

I’m in the same position. After months of asking, I have decided to let him play the game starting next year, he is currently 11 years old. He is very much into minecraft atm, the only concern I have is with the chat in LA and WvW, but then I figure the language is much worse in his school anyways since he goes to public school with half the students being bused in from downtown, every other sentence these kids say start with F..

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

Why are you asking us? A bunch of strangers. You are his father (presumably) and only you and your wife can make that determination.

Posted by: Hekdragoon.1972

Hekdragoon.1972

No go, with the high amount of RNG in the game, your son will end up being a gambling addict in the future :P

Now seriously, it’s your choice, you don’t need to ask here, but if you can’t control your own addiction ingame, don’t expect to be able to control him.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I don’t think the average age for the game is much more than that.

Considering this thread is filled with parents discussing getting this game for their child, I’d be inclined to disagree with your average age of GW2 players being not much more than 10 comment. Do you mean the ESRB rating? I honestly don’t know anyone under the age of 21 that plays this game.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

IVIUIEI.9631

No go, with the high amount of RNG in the game, your son will end up being a gambling addict in the future :P

Now seriously, it’s your choice, you don’t need to ask here, but if you can’t control your own addiction ingame, don’t expect to be able to control him.

If I was to let him play I will make sure that will never happens. There is so much of other items in the game u don’t need to get into it.

vvuevv

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

I completely agree with you there, very well said.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

Posted by: koldmiser.6019

koldmiser.6019

Go for it. My 13 year old son and I play and we have a lot of fun. He started a couple of years ago playing WoW with me and picked it up pretty fast.
The best thing is you always have a group. : )

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

GW2 doesn’t have much ‘violence’ in it either, it’s pretty unrealistic in that point of view (omg I’m shooting light bubbles). I would keep him clear of PvP though, that’s not the best place for a child, too many people enjoy ganking new players.

I agree GW2 is not a violent game imo, but that is not a factor in our house when it comes to MMO’s and our children, specifically GW2.

One thing to take in consideration, and I’m pretty sure this came to mind already for many of you, who is this really benefiting? The child, or the parent?

In some scenarios it’s not GW2 that draws the childs attention, but staring at the back of Mom & Dad head as GW2 holds their main attention.

JQ Druid

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

why are you asking on the forums lol

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Your 10 year old plays First Person Shooters? Ok after hearing that yes get them addicted to GW ASAP.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Play with him to keep an eye on his interactions with others. Perhaps make a family guild.
I played gw1 with my sons.

Like everything in the world, it can be good or bad. For me it was a way to hold conversations with my sons. We would play and they would talk as we played about school, life, whatever. I’m a mom instead of a dad by the way.

Even now my oldest will get on gw2 and chat with me when he has the time. He is in another state now so its a fun way to communicate.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

(edited by Katz.5143)