Should Rev Profession be included w/ POF?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rhanoa.3960

Rhanoa.3960

I gotta say it is pretty generous for just handing out a Profession originally locked unless you purchased HOT.

What does that say about about YOU Veteran players who have purchased GW2 & HOT?

Standard POF
New & Returning Players Get (Non-HOT Purchasers):
*Free Core Game
*New Class
*Level Boost

Veteran Players Get:
*Level Boost (By now some of may have 9 or more Characters at 80) Useless.

MMORPG’s are not easy, you’re just too PRO!!!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Doesn’t bother me a bit.

The Burninator

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Seems like a good idea to me.

Posted by: Knuckle Joe.7408

Knuckle Joe.7408

Doesn’t bother me at all, on the contrary, makes me happy to see that that level of money-hoarding hasn’t reached Anet (forcing new players to purchase an old expansion separately if they wanna play the class.)

DO FAST HANDS BASELINE

(edited by Knuckle Joe.7408)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Not seeing an issue

Posted by: Kreed.2768

Kreed.2768

I, personally, wouldn’t have found it logical if Rev was locked behind one specific expansion (HoT). And they’re not exactly “handing out” the Rev, since you still have to buy an expansion to unlock it.

Lover of longbow rangers.
Party Hard in GW2!
My YouTube Channel!

Posted by: Leon de Damasco.8105

Leon de Damasco.8105

Thank you for your worries, but I am old enought to care myself.
May be this is new for you, but PoF is the second Exp, maybe that is why Revenant was locked behind HoT, actually the first one… just saying.
Have a nice one.

BTW, some people love that level boost. Don’t call it useless just because is useless for you.

Posted by: Valiant.5078

Valiant.5078

Doesn’t bother me, and I actually I really like the level 80 boosts lol

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Honestly dont care. Still have to buy an expansion to obtain it so…

And that level is a godsend for me, considering plan on rerolling my Revenant.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Rhanoa.3960

Thank you for your worries, but I am old enought to care myself.
May be this is new for you, but PoF is the second Exp, maybe that is why Revenant was locked behind HoT, actually the first one… just saying.
Have a nice one.

BTW, some people love that level boost. Don’t call it useless just because is useless for you.

Nowhere did I say I was worried! I did say it was Generous!

Though, having already 9 Professions with no character slot and be given a level boost is pretty useless.

(edited by Rhanoa.3960)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Though, having already 9 Professions with no character slot and be given a level boost is pretty useless.

You also get a shared inventory slot with that character boost once it is consumed. So there is at least that if you don’t really need the boost.

The Burninator

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

It might be different for someone who purchased HoT within the last year, but I’ve had 2 years to play Revenant. I really don’t mind this move especially if it helps boost sales.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Some of the features offered with PoF are the Elite Specs. Selling a product with profession features when one would have to buy a different product to get access to that feature for one of nine professions just seems like bad business. I’m glad ANet did not go that route.

On the other hand I’m not surprised that someone found a reason to kitten and moan about Veterans being hard done by. To be fair, though, the OP did make an effort to disguise the kittening and moaning. It was not a big enough effort, but what are you going to do?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

What does it say about us Veterans? It says we welcome all the new and returning players that populate this game and help keep it viable.

I’m sure, OP, you welcome more players, as well, no?

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

I really dont care about it so long as stuff like the hot raids the lw the hot masteries and the elite specs remain locked. Rev can be a universal unlock.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I think it’s a good thing overall and somewhat necessary.

This is an aging game so I don’t expect new people to shell out the same kind of money at this point. And we need more people.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

Herald is still not accessible to PoF-only Revs unless they buy HoT.

That’s good enough.

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

I purchased the bare minimum with HoT.

I’ve prepurchased PoF at the top price because frankly, ANet is a company i want to give money to. What us ‘Veterans’ get is up to 5 years of playtime of an amazingly detailed, amazingly replayable, amazingly unique MMO which contines to provide a great amount of free-to-play content free of charge, with the occassional buy-to-play expansion thrown in.

This game, as well as its namesake predecessor, are two of, if not my top 2 favourite games of all time.

I think new players who pay for the expansion should absolutely get access to all the classes. I’d be well and truly behind allowing even F2Players to access Revenant, and making PoF include all HoT content as well. If you bought it before it was included in the next major expansion, your value for money is that you got to play the content all that time prior to that expansions release.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

I gotta say it is pretty generous for just handing out a Profession originally locked unless you purchased HOT.

What does that say about about YOU Veteran players who have purchased GW2 & HOT? …

I think you already summed it up— it is generous. Personally, I think that’s great! It shows new and returning players that not only is this an awesome game, Anet is generous about sharing their world with players.

Getting the Core Game for free with the purchase of the expansion makes sense. The Core Game IS free. Getting Rev with the expansion is okay with me, too. The game has evolved and Rev is part of team after Core.

As a veteran player, I get:

• the PoF expansion (+ bonuses with fancier editions)
  • a level boost for my new character (because I’m keeping Elite 1 and want Elite 2)
  • another shared inventory slot
  • a fresh crop of new blood in the game.

Sounds good to me!

Posted by: Corax.7381

Corax.7381

• a level boost for my new character (because I’m keeping Elite 1 and want Elite 2)

Off-topic, but don’t you think it’s really a bad thing that, in order to experience a new Elite specialization without excessive annoyance, you feel as if you have to create a new character? Can ANet PLEASE give us even a half-measure solution to this?! Yes, I’m speaking of build templates.

On-topic: I’m fine with it. I was a bit salty when HoT was announced and it seemed like veterans would get, well, not much of anything, despite feeling like they paid for the game twice. But it’s important to remember that when we coughed up $60 for Guild Wars 2 at launch, we got to experience that Core Tyria content for 3 years. Having to pay for expansions should have been expected, given how straightforward the B2P model is.

When it comes to Revenant specifically, it would have looked very bad to sell the Renegade Elite spec with PoF while selling the class that is required to use it with HoT. Honestly, I’d be fine with the Revenant being made available to F2P players. The only hiccup with that is, lorewise, they didn’t appear until the events in the Maguuma jungle, but hey; anachronisms exist in every MMO.

“Quaggan will kick your tail so hard it slaps you in the face!” – Willoo

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

>OP words post in a way that is obviously supposed to generate a negative reaction
> People reply by seeing the good in Anet’s decision

It’s moments like these that give me hope.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Regarding Rev, a better way of seeing it is:
Rev = expansion class
Herald = HoT elite
Renegade = PoF elite

I don’t think there’s any unfairness there

Rhanoa.3960

>OP words post in a way that is obviously supposed to generate a negative reaction

Stating the obvious? Let me put it another way.

Standard POF $29.99 + Free GW2

New & Returning Players Get: (Non-HOT Purchasers)
*New Class
*Level Boost

Standard POF $29.99
Standard HOT $49.99
Standard GW2 $59.99
$139.97 5yr Investment. (Excluding deluxe & Gem purchase)

Veteran Players Get:

(edited by Rhanoa.3960)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Standard POF $49.99 + Free GW2

*New Class
*Level Boost

Standard POF $49.99
Standard HOT $49.99
Standard GW2 $59.99
$159.97 5yr Investment. (Excluding deluxe & Gem purchase)

Veteran Players Get:

You neglected to mention that the veterans referenced, those who purchased HoT way back when, received something that no new player can get…

Until it can be demonstrated that a new player can buy the two years of option to play the Revenant class that a veteran received by purchasing HoT at launch, then the veteran comes out ahead.

Of course if someone were to invent a time machine this all goes out the window.

Posted by: sokeenoppa.5384

sokeenoppa.5384

I think they should give hot for free If you buy pof. It is unfair i know but It keeps The hot maps populated.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

That is a really Nice idea.
Or also an upgrade from gemstore.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

For the OP: you sure left out all sorts of stuff.
HoT unlocks HoT story, HoT maps, and 9 HoT elites; PoF doesn’t. Any expansion unlocks Rev and core masteries; that seems perfectly fair to me.

I think they should give hot for free If you buy pof. It is unfair i know but It keeps The hot maps populated.

It costs exactly the same to buy HoT + PoF as it did to buy just HoT in the first place. Would you prefer that everyone pay US$50 for PoF so they can include HoT in the base price?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

*New Class
*Level Boost

Standard POF $49.99
Standard HOT $49.99
Standard GW2 $59.99

Veteran Players Get:

You can always use the boost with a level 80 character to get alternative benefits.

And when you say 5 year investment, I hope you mean investment on Anet’s part as they allow a broke kitten like me who only buys $20 USD in gems maybe once or twice a year to enjoy their great resource intensive online game at a fraction of what other nerds pay for their inferior MMO of choice :P

Rhanoa.3960

*New Class
*Level Boost

Standard POF $49.99
Standard HOT $49.99
Standard GW2 $59.99

Veteran Players Get:

You can always use the boost with a level 80 character to get alternative benefits.

And when you say 5 year investment, I hope you mean investment on Anet’s part as they allow a broke kitten like me who only buys $20 USD in gems maybe once or twice a year to enjoy their great resource intensive online game at a fraction of what other nerds pay for their inferior MMO of choice :P

Pretty sure many of have been there, unemployed twice, but look at us now! dO.Ob

Posted by: finkle.9513

finkle.9513

I dont think anyone will be playing Renagade for long, due to it being well very crap…. so Anet would really shoot themselves in the foot if even less people played Revenant.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

Yes, the Revenant profession should be included in Path of Fire. I don’t see why not, it never even crossed my mind that someone could be offended by that. They could have included HoT in the package and I would have benn happy with it.

The more the merrier. My suggestion for you is to spend more time appreciating what you get and less with bothering what other people get. Some say it’s one way to become a happy person.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The Herald is only available to Heart of Thorns owners. So no you don’t get the complete Revenant by purchasing only Path of Fire.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

*New Class
*Level Boost

Standard POF $49.99
Standard HOT $49.99
Standard GW2 $59.99

Veteran Players Get:

Veteran players also get all the time they spent which makes them veteran.

If i’d bought the game and all expansions at original price and was only allowed to play them from this point in time, i guess i’d be pretty peeved that i’d paid so much more.

But i got what i paid for, at the time i paid for it, and have had between 2 & 5 years to enjoy it. that $60 upfront? that’s $20 a year. Most MMOs charge a significant portion of that per month, and don’t deliver nearly as much interesting content, as continually or as consistently as this game has done & continues to do.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

*New Class
*Level Boost

Standard POF $49.99
Standard HOT $49.99
Standard GW2 $59.99

Veteran Players Get:

If you’re going to continue your complaining, at least get your facts straight. You might also look into how businesses work, and how value is determined in business-consumer relationships. Since I don’t expect you to, here’s the crash course as it applies to the situation under discussion.

• 5 Years ago (you?) spent $59.99 to purchase access to GW2. For those 5 years (you?) had the opportunity to enjoy the game. (You?) also got — for no additional cost — access to LS1 and 2.
  • 2 years ago (you?) spent $49.99 to purchase access to HoT. For those 2 years you had the the opportunity to enjoy what HoT brought to the game. (You?) also got — for no additional cost — access to LS3.
  • Now, (you?) would be paying $29.99 (not $49.99) for standard PoF. (You?) will get the opportunity to play what PoF offers as long as you care to. Freebies: the level boost you don’t care about, plus the shared inventory slot it arrives in (which would cost $8.75 if bought separately).
  • The new player spends $29.99. He will get PoF, the same way (you?) will. Freebies: restrictions on free GW2 core removed; level boost (which you seem to presume has value for him); shared slot; and Revenant unlocked.

He does not get:

1. Core Gw2 for free (just the removal of the restrictions)
  2. The 5 years of access (you?) got to core GW2, including any titles, achievements, drops, legendary weapon(s) produced, and anything else that adds value to a virtual game account.
  3. LS1 (it’s gone)
  4. LS 2 (he would have to pay an additional, not inconsequential fee to get this)
  5. Any of HoT except Revenant base profession. Were I to have to tell you how little a percentage of HoT Revenant base profession is, you would have no business talking about numbers.
  6. The two years access (you?) had to what came with HoT, along with any (see #2 for the add-ons)
  7. LS 3 (he would have to pay an additional, not inconsequential fee to get this)

Were he to purchase all of the above, he’d be spending a lot more than $29.99, and he cannot purchase retroactive access.

And now the good news. (You?) too can partake of the “enormous” deal that the new player gets with PoF while the Veteran gets so “little.” All (you?) have to do is buy PoF and link it to a new account. Not interested? Why not, if the value of having (your?) account all this time is not part of the equation?

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

*New Class
*Level Boost

Standard POF $49.99
Standard HOT $49.99
Standard GW2 $59.99

Veteran Players Get:

Correction: Standard PoF is only $29.99. It’s only $49.99* if you buy the bundle that includes both PoF and HoT.

That said, most wares tend to get cheaper as they get older. If you are an early adopter, expect to pay a premium for getting access to whatever you’re buying right now and not a few years down the road.

Posted by: masterJP.5048

masterJP.5048

*New Class
*Level Boost

Standard POF $49.99
Standard HOT $49.99
Standard GW2 $59.99

Veteran Players Get:

If you’re going to continue your complaining, at least get your facts straight. You might also look into how businesses work, and how value is determined in business-consumer relationships. Since I don’t expect you to, here’s the crash course as it applies to the situation under discussion.

• 5 Years ago (you?) spent $59.99 to purchase access to GW2. For those 5 years (you?) had the opportunity to enjoy the game. (You?) also got — for no additional cost — access to LS1 and 2.
  • 2 years ago (you?) spent $49.99 to purchase access to HoT. For those 2 years you had the the opportunity to enjoy what HoT brought to the game. (You?) also got — for no additional cost — access to LS3.
  • Now, (you?) would be paying $29.99 (not $49.99) for standard PoF. (You?) will get the opportunity to play what PoF offers as long as you care to. Freebies: the level boost you don’t care about, plus the shared inventory slot it arrives in (which would cost $8.75 if bought separately).
  • The new player spends $29.99. He will get PoF, the same way (you?) will. Freebies: restrictions on free GW2 core removed; level boost (which you seem to presume has value for him); shared slot; and Revenant unlocked.

He does not get:

1. Core Gw2 for free (just the removal of the restrictions)
  2. The 5 years of access (you?) got to core GW2, including any titles, achievements, drops, legendary weapon(s) produced, and anything else that adds value to a virtual game account.
  3. LS1 (it’s gone)
  4. LS 2 (he would have to pay an additional, not inconsequential fee to get this)
  5. Any of HoT except Revenant base profession. Were I to have to tell you how little a percentage of HoT Revenant base profession is, you would have no business talking about numbers.
  6. The two years access (you?) had to what came with HoT, along with any (see #2 for the add-ons)
  7. LS 3 (he would have to pay an additional, not inconsequential fee to get this)

Were he to purchase all of the above, he’d be spending a lot more than $29.99, and he cannot purchase retroactive access.

And now the good news. (You?) too can partake of the “enormous” deal that the new player gets with PoF while the Veteran gets so “little.” All (you?) have to do is buy PoF and link it to a new account. Not interested? Why not, if the value of having (your?) account all this time is not part of the equation?

Couldn’t say it better than this.

Lordy Green , THE Elementalist
Angela Sky , THE Guardian
Orochimarei , THE Necromancer

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

as a vet of the game and been playing since guild wars its self . I have not got one problem at all with this . and see this as a good thing the company is doing . so yeah nope not the problem for me at all being a vet of the game or not being a vet of the game I still not got a problem with this at all.

not sure what op is trying to make out of this topic .but I would suggest making a new toon or getting another toon slot .and using the 80 booster that way

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Not seeing an issue and had picked up a number of copies of HoT. Besides that, I think we are over estimating the number of new players this would add versus the number of returning or existing players. I would also still count a returning player as a vet in this scenario even if they didn’t get HoT. So no, non-issue here.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

They will still need HoT if they want the HoT Elite skills (Gliding, etc) so not really an issue in my opinion and as others have said I was able to use for the last 2 years. Very much like buying a new car verses a used car, it will go down in value.

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I own HoT, so it hadn’t occurred to me. Hrm.
I would like to see ANet unlock Rev for PoF. Seems fair.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I do not mind at all. Without the HOT elite spec for the revenant it is pretty much like any other base class so with both expansions you are paying for a rev elite spec. If base-only players do not have base revenant they should really get it with the expansion release though.

Menadena.7482

You keep using those words, I do not think you know what I mean.

I will give you a solution for free. Put it a ticket to transfer the boost (and the slot of course) to me. In addition to buying ultimate I picked up 2 more slots.

More serious answer: if you do not have any sub-80s consume it anyway. You will get a shared inventory slot and lots of goodies. Even if you just forge/salvage/sell things it is free gold.

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

Well they don’t get glint so they will be severely handicapped

Menadena.7482

Well they don’t get glint so they will be severely handicapped

Exactly, while herald is great for the boons you get/can provide base revenant is not exactly my fave profession in the game.

Posted by: czerwoni.9563

czerwoni.9563

i bought basic HoT and never used rev and now with PoF i went all out got the gems too ankitten ow maining rev cause its fun, so i think its good they are including rev in PoF, not everyone wants to play through HoT to get a Rev lol

More Violets I Say Less Violence

Posted by: Catastro.8410

Catastro.8410

Except Revenant isn’t meant to be a HoT specific profession, it’s E.Spec Herald on the other hand is. Which I honestly don’t care in any case if core players buying PoF end up getting.

And just to add some more, it would be entirely unfair to buyers if they didn’t get base Revenant. Since they’d not have access to a part of the expac that they paid for(the Renegade E.Spec). So this is a good call on Anet’s part all things considered.

(edited by Catastro.8410)

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

I’m not bothered by it at all. I pay for the expansion to get the expansion, anything else like the level 80 boost & shared inventory slot are just a bonus.

I think it’s good and better for the game that Anet are giving away the core game / lifting the restrictions for new players buying PoF. It should entice more players to purchase PoF.

Veteran players haven’t exactly lost out on anything, we get birthday rewards etc, we’ve been around long enough to unlock LS maps for free, we’ll go into PoF better equipped & more knowledge about our classes, game mechanics etc than a new player will, we’ve been around to benefit from things like AB:ML when they were a thing. Those are the extra things veteran players get.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

*New Class
*Level Boost

Standard POF $29.99
Standard HOT $49.99
Standard GW2 $59.99

Veteran Players Get:

So apparently games don’t drop in price, ever?

News Flash: Most games that retailed at 50-60 5 years ago don’t, anymore. If you want to save money, don’t buy a game on release.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

There is still a difference to me;

With HoT u get Herald Revenant
With PoF u get Renegade Revenant

I don’t see an issue.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

*New Class
*Level Boost

Standard POF $29.99
Standard HOT $49.99
Standard GW2 $59.99

Veteran Players Get:

You forgot to state that Veteran Players get Heart of Thorns, and Living Story Seasons 1, 2, and 3 for that investment, as well, if you are comparing it to a new player’s Path of Fire-only purchase.