Shutting down an entire build (PVE)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Danaj.3014

Danaj.3014

It bugs me that certain bosses and levels shut down entire builds in the game. A lot of world bosses are immune to critical damage. What I dont get about that is the fact that so many sigils and traits work off of critical hits, so they become completely useless in these situations. Why not just scale up the bosses HP or add an effect that reduces critical damage by 80% but leaves the actual critical mechanic alone?

Another issue is when I do level 38 fractals and I get the permanent debuff Mistlock Instability: Ill and Chill. This is absolutely annoying when im playing my venom thief. Im unable to use 2 of my venoms now and the devourer venom is completely useless since it doesn’t really come into play very often. Now if im traited into deadly arts traits it isn’t nearly as effective to use half of the traits. So now I either have to respec every time or deal with a half as effective trait tree.

Although it isn’t very common, its extremely annoying when ANet decides to completely destroy entire builds during certain encounters. I thought the idea of this game was to be able to play however you want and be able to use every type of build with every class. Respecing just to do 1 event, boss, or an entire dungeon is inconvenient.

Don’t get me wrong I understand that you can work around it by changing your traits and armor, but I like my builds and I really don’t want to have to switch around so much. Thoughts?

Posted by: Adrianna.3092

Adrianna.3092

id say the bigger issue is that conditions are useless in pve.. objects cant get hit by conditions at all and even some bosses (the ice fractal comes to mind) are immune to conditions.

Danaj.3014

I agree the fact that objects cant be hit my conditions is really dumb and doesn’t make sense to me at all. I also dislike the fact that there is a maximum amount of stacks that can be applied to bosses. Why not just have diminishing returns instead? My issue is that they are cutting out an entire section of people from doing anything just because they want to play a certain way.

Imagine the people who just started the game that don’t understand these mechanics an are simply burning conditions on bosses, but are just wasting their time doing very little damage and being overridden or taking away stronger stacks.

I feel like there are other options, like what if bosses had a shielding phase where it would purge the conditions it has received instead? I mean anything besides destroying an entire person’s build

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

The way they handle bosses is just incredibly problematic.
I don’t play a zerker build, I’m a staff elementalist and normally I have a decent amount of crowd control at my disposal – this literally becomes useless against most bosses who cannot be stunned, knocked back, pulled, crippled, etc…

Regarding you suggesting on increasing boss HP and opening up crit hits etc.
NO. They already do this too much, the solution to making things difficult should never be “raise the HP”, but it is unfortunately the solution they most frequently go with. It just results in long boring fights. Use mechanics to add complexity.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

There is a similar issue with on kill procs for skills/traits/sigils/food. For most boss battles there is only one thing that will be killed which is the boss. If there are adds they usually don’t count for on kill procs.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

When you have to resort to special rules and break the established rules of your game universe in order to artificially prolong an encounter, you’ve already lost the design game. It’s really that simple.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Danaj.3014

The way they handle bosses is just incredibly problematic.
I don’t play a zerker build, I’m a staff elementalist and normally I have a decent amount of crowd control at my disposal – this literally becomes useless against most bosses who cannot be stunned, knocked back, pulled, crippled, etc…

Regarding you suggesting on increasing boss HP and opening up crit hits etc.
NO. They already do this too much, the solution to making things difficult should never be “raise the HP”, but it is unfortunately the solution they most frequently go with. It just results in long boring fights. Use mechanics to add complexity.

You do have a point. I almost forgot about the Shatterer, such a bad update they did with him. Takes 15 minutes to kill him, but people are still just sitting in one spot spamming 1