Side-kicking. The blessing and curse or...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

…why we cant have nice things.

Some time ago there was as discussion among multiple threads that dealt with empty zones and why players tend to flock to some areas and avoid others. The general consensus from the community was that they weren’t rewarding enough.

Afterall, what incentive is there to go back to 40-60 level zones with level 80 characters? We postured that, if the zones rewarded us based on level that we would spread out into the places we that we liked visually, that had neat DE chains and the population would have a reason to leave Orr and LA.

Anet acquiesced. Regardless of zone level we receive (most of the time) rewards in a level appropriate tier. Even if the loot is blue or white junk, it sells like level 75-80 blue or white junk instead of level 30 or lower. And regardless of where you play now, there is a decent possibility of ectos from rares. I know I was giddy post-patch when I got an exotic dagger from a vet in Kessex.

We, however, did not fulfill our end of the bargain. Instead, high level/high geared characters have come to the conclusion that if most of the rewards from any zone are level appropriate, then they should play in the areas of least resistance as to churn through DEs and champions faster.

And as I stated in the beginning. This is why we cant have nice things. I didn’t pay much attention to all of the loop threads popping up recently because I thought the issue was limited to solo players. Last night I rolled a new character and went into Queensdale because it’s the area I know best (other characters are: 80T, 80G, 80M, 30W, 30N). I even tagged along with a few players totally new to the game to show them around. To be blunt the community is making the content unplayable.

With all waypoints unlocked, and mapping instantly when someone pings Troll, Boar, Barracuda, Wasp or Oak, a new character still does not have the speed boost skills/traits to get to the events in time. And even if they do manage to get there in time to try to get last hits, they cannot do enough damage to get credit before the champ is dropped. I, and the players I was trying to show Champion DEs to just gave up on it after the fourth loop of managing to get credit for nothing.

We are talking maxed level characters in full dungeon sets with legendaries, running through Queensdale and poaching champions within seconds of their activation. Before the players in the level range the content is designed for have a chance to even see the mob, yet alone hit it for event credit. Add to that, if you try to camp an event spawn and do your damage before the loop herd shows up, they can get outright abusive to players that just wanted to be able to finally get credit, or didn’t know looping was a thing.

Overall, this is poor community behavior. It also makes PvE, in one of the lowest levels of the game and where most people will get their first impressions, unnecessarily competitive. Something Anet has been vocally opposed to.

So when the nerf comes to lowbie areas or champs, or side-kicking. Or whatever measure Anet decides to take so new characters and players can experience their starter zone without a stampede of 80s bulldozing all of the events ahead of them, remember that we did it to ourselves. We asked for incentive to visit mid level range areas, they gave it to us, we made it a detriment the experience of others. If I hadn’t happened to be on a fresh character, in the company of totally new players, I may have never considered it. We haven’t been very classy at all.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

(edited by AcidicVision.5498)

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

although a low level character doesn’t necessarily need to kill champions in queensdale in a rotation in order to level, they can do hearts and dynamic events in the zone where it stands, if you happen to be near a champion than you can have a strike.

what i mean to say is not that i defend the train to champions even in queensdale, in fact i don’t understand why everyone go in queensdale to begin with. i just wanted to say that a real beginner probably doesn’t even care about it and it’s just happy to see so many players doing events there.

an alt beginner has the advantage to know the game already and if you are really bothered to complete only that kind of event you know where to unlock the waypoint to teleport there, so before you complain about high level characters killing champions just go and unlock the waypoints

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

Queensdale is really the only zone where that’s a problem though.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They probably need to make the downleveling harsher for the lowest areas. Especially the starter areas. While the mid level to higher level feels about right, the low level ones are very easy for my level 80 with full exotics.

People will still flock to the starter areas though, even if they increase the downleveling. If you’re trying to get certain rewards, like number of events or vets, champions. it’s the place to go because events pop off so fast and you already know where to find vets and champs.

I’ve tried doing the daily in non starter areas. It’s frustrating to wander around, looking for events, looking for veterans, looking for champions and knowing you could get them done fast by leaving there and going to a starter area. And I often want to do them fast. Either I don’t have much time or I’m planning to do something else that will take time and won’t get the daily completely done. I want it out of the way so I’m not trying to finish later when I’m tired and its time to log out anyway.

Maybe if you could look at your big map and see all active events on it? They show the events on your map if you are close by. If they would only make it map wide. If I could see the events, I personally would quit the starter areas and go elsewhere. It would be more fun as I would be doing different, new events.

That’s the biggie for me. Not knowing where the events are.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

It’s actually a catch 22. On one hand, new players are being stopped from being able to participate in these champion events. On the other hand, new players are experiencing a zone FILLED with people, as opposed to a dead zone. They are entering GW2 thinking “wow, a lot of folks play this game!”.

My suggestion to fix it? Figure out which zones are the “problem” zones, and buff the health of the Champ mobs there. Also, rework the contribution requirement so that low level players can come in and still get credit, even if the mob gets downed quickly. Currently, low level players won’t put out the raw damage that high level players do, so if the mob goes down too quickly they won’t even be registered as a participant.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I agree this is a problem. The solution to this problem is to fix the level scaling (any other types of scaling) so that it is no so easy to complete it.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Tolmos.8395

I agree this is a problem. The solution to this problem is to fix the level scaling (any other types of scaling) so that it is no so easy to complete it.

That, too. I still feel WAY too strong in low level zones compared to the appropriate level, appropriately geared, toons around me.

Posted by: Esya.3427

Esya.3427

I had the exact same experience on a level appropriate character. I was there in time for the kill as I just happened to be leveling in that area of the map, but due to the “champion dying”/“events being finished” so fast I was unable to put in enough damage on mobs in order to be registered for the kill/event.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Well, if experience wasn’t given by percentages and granted based on level, then maybe the amount of experience would be so minuscule that staying in Queensdale would be almost pointless.

Tolmos.8395

Well, if experience wasn’t given by percentages and granted based on level, then maybe the amount of experience would be so minuscule that staying in Queensdale would be almost pointless.

It’s likely Karma they are there for, not experience.

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

That, too. I still feel WAY too strong in low level zones compared to the appropriate level, appropriately geared, toons around me.

I feel WAY too strong in low level zones AT THE APPROPRIATE LEVEL, because I spent a few silver to slot +10 power runes into all available armor pieces and got a minor blood lust sigil.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

It’s likely Karma they are there for, not experience.

Then perhaps they should cap that kitten too?

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Don’t forget the possibility, that with the new rewards from champions being mats, that low level champs will drop low level mats. There will be a much better incentive for high level players to seek out the champions that drop high level mats instead of the starter area champs.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

The level scaling is doing a bad job in the lower level zones, they need to reduce the stats a little more I think by 30 to 40%, I see no reason why an 80 should have to take on 6 mobs in queensdale.

With that said they really need to reduce the respawn time for DE in Queensdale or Add more and they need to add more DE in the other zone.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The level scaling is doing a bad job in the lower level zones, they need to reduce the stats a little more I think by 30 to 40%, I see no reason why an 80 should have to take on 6 mobs in queensdale.

With that said they really need to reduce the respawn time for DE in Queensdale or Add more and they need to add more DE in the other zone.

It’s a big difference. I was in Queensdale and handling multiple mobs. Never got a scratch. Went to Blazeridge Steppes and was nearly downed by 3 ghosts. Had to remember I wasn’t in the training wheels area and start paying attention, lol.