Silvary : pls arena net tell me why?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

Q:

i’m playing gw 2 for more then year now since start and i wanted to play silvary cuz i love ELFS but they made them abomination bloody tree and honestly when i’m watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E go on 41/42 sek and u will see good looking silvary and in game u see that madness and honestly why did u made them so ugly did some one wanted to be special and to create race from nothing whic is epicly not appealing now im stuck playing human and i wanna do debate on this subject whit the player base and developers .
pS u playing a TREE think about it !!!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Beauty (or ugliness) is in the eye of the beholder.

Plus, they specifically didn’t want them to be ‘elves’.

in Sylvari

Posted by: LittleLepton.8915

LittleLepton.8915

I only have one sylvari out of 15 characters. I tried very hard to make what I consider a “pretty” PC, however kept failing. It wasn’t until I started trying to make one just look kitten (an engineer with deep blacks, reds, and Magitech gear and such) that I actually like the look.

My point is, I also had the same hope, to have a beautiful elf like creature, but once I got rid of that expectation I actually liked how they looked, in relation to the type of look I was going for.

I would however love a more human looking sylvari, but Caithe’s concept art is probably the closest we will get to that…

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

in Sylvari

Posted by: Livestrong.5470

Livestrong.5470

I had no idea what you were even talking about.. until I realized you horribly misspelled sylvari.

in Sylvari

Gele.2048

I had no idea what you were even talking about.. until I realized you horribly misspelled sylvari.

see their name is stupid as well kitten TREE’s xD no im joking my bad can i change the titel somehow ?

in Sylvari

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Over a quarter of my characters are sylvari. That’s 14 or 15 out of my total. No two look the same. The customize options are the best in the game for them (in my opinion). Plus I really like their NPC chat throughout the game.

Having said all that they’re only my second favourite in the game. Norn come first.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

in Sylvari

Posted by: ramorambo.6701

ramorambo.6701

The anger of the OP made me laugh for some reason, but tbh he’s right, pretty much every race besides human (and maybe charr) look horrible.
It feels bad to have all characters human because other race look like some sort of abomination, lol.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

really? I think the Sylvari are fantastic. The worst race in the game has to be the humans.

in Sylvari

Gele.2048

really? I think the Sylvari are fantastic. The worst race in the game has to be the humans.

can you explain why do u think that ?

in Sylvari

Posted by: rotheche.2964

rotheche.2964

I’m not Creeper, but I find sylvari an awesome race to design. They have a huge range of variables in their design—skin colour, patterns, pattern colour, plus glow. The ‘hair’ designs have wild variety. In comparison to a sylvari’s exoticism, humans are rather everyday.

They aren’t human, so applying human beauty standards is a bit irrelevant, really

Lilli Varss [OW]
Easily distracted mes—SQUIRREL!
GOM

in Sylvari

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I love the Sylvari.
I started out with 5 human characters and at this point I only have 3 humans but I have 4 Sylvari’s.

I have never thought of them as tree elves- but rather sentient plants modeled loosely on human form because of the Pale Tree’s interaction with humans.
Also I like to think that when she birthed the Sylvari she wanted humans to feel a kinship with them.

Personally I prefer the more non human Sylvari’s running around and I don’t actually like Caithe’s face all that much because it is a bit too human for my taste.

My 4 all look different from each other and they are all beautiful to me

Sylvari’s definitely have the best customization in the game- I will probably make more in the future

Gunnar’s Hold

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

The amount of diversification that can be done with sylvaries is a lot more compared to humans or norns. Here are my sylvaris and i am happy of how they turned out

Attachments:

in Sylvari

zenleto.6179

The amount of diversification that can be done with sylvaries is a lot more compared to humans or norns. Here are my sylvaris and i am happy of how they turned out

Yep! Very nice.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

I have never thought of them as tree elves- but rather sentient plants modeled loosely on human form because of the Pale Tree’s interaction with humans.
Also I like to think that when she birthed the Sylvari she wanted humans to feel a kinship with them.

This made me wonder what the game would be like if they were modeled after Ventari, rather than humans. Plant-centaurs would’ve been more fun, IMO.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

They are humanoid plant people not elves.

Humanoid plant people are a strange lot. Take Ficus for instance.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Sylvari

Posted by: Benjamin.7458

Benjamin.7458

I have made my Sylvaries the same model, but I have tried to colour them to match their profession. Because you can only do that with Sylvaries.

Here they are:

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Ronah.2869

I have made my Sylvaries the same model, but I have tried to colour them to match their profession. Because you can only do that with Sylvaries.

Here they are:

Oohh… thats very cool, +1

in Sylvari

Posted by: KeyLimPi.9031

KeyLimPi.9031

why did u made them so ugly

Check this sultry gaze out and feel ashamed you even brought up this notion

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Can’t agree, I actually just love the looks of sylvari. With the lack of elves that was actually the only choice for me.

I was going to try all races for different classes after I finish BiSing my 1st character, but at the moment I feel like I’d go for several more colourful sylvaris instead

20 level 80s and counting.

in Sylvari

zenleto.6179

Gele’s going to have to come back. His thread is turning a corner.

in Sylvari

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Plant boy!!!!!!

in Sylvari

Behellagh.1468

Here they are:

Go Go Power Sylvari.

Attachments:

RIP City of Heroes

in Sylvari

Ronah.2869

Here they are:

Go Go Power Sylvari.

Power Rangers… nice memories
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Rangers

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sundar.1735

Sundar.1735

I’ve never really been able to get into Sylvari even though I have one (ranger). They all have a blank stare on their faces which makes them look like lifeless puppets/dolls and many of them look like humans with some kind of skin disease. Go to Youtube and look for the “Tree Man” and you will see what I mean. They’ve also always felt out of place among the other races, probably because they did not exist in GW1.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

... OP has been playing over a year and decides now is the time to bring this up? Are you bored?

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

in Sylvari

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

You can’t have a pretty Sylvari?

I disagree.

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m another one who loves the sylvari, especially because of the sheer variety in the character creation. Sylvari and charr are way ahead of the other races in that respect, and I think the sylvari have the charr beaten.

I think it helps a lot if you don’t think of them as GW2’s elves. They’re not elves, and they have very little in common with any kind of elf. (Pretty much just they live in a forest and have names based on old English and celtic languages.) So yeah, if you take it as ‘oh, these are the elves, they will look like elves, they will act like elves and I can play them like elves’ then you’re going to be very disappointed because it doesn’t work.

They’re a relatively original creation and if you take them as they are and stop worrying about what they’re not then they’re a lot more fun.

(If you want a character that looks like an elf your best bet is actually to make a human, and if you want the lore to resemble typical fantasy elves as well norn is probably the best you’re going to get since they have the whole nature based religion thing going for them.)

(Having said all that I admit I did call my sylvari Alleria Wildrunner, but I wanted to carry the name over from GW1 and my sylvari character was the one it fit best. My norn is an engineer so that wouldn’t work.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Sylvari

Posted by: tetrodoxin.2134

tetrodoxin.2134

The amount of diversification that can be done with sylvaries is a lot more compared to humans or norns.

This. Pretty much all human characters look kinda the same imo. Especially female casters, which all seem to have the same armor as well (human T3). Love the sylvari design and the possibilites. Norns have their tattoos, Asuras have a variety of different skin colours (+patterns) and ears, Charrs have all their fur adjustements and horns. Sylvaris have everything! Biggest variety of skin colours and patterns, different earstyles, glow colours. I would even argue and say that their hairstyles offer the biggest variety as well (shroomheads!). On top of that, cultural armors are glowing as well. Fabulous.

What do humans get? Beards. Male only. They should have given them one or two more options. Like optional scars, or something like that.
Seriously, from all races out there, human is probably the most boring one to take. At least in my opinion. I’m glad that Sylvari aren’t just a copy of them with some pointy ears attached to their heads.

Anet hates [your class], since [other classes] got buffs while [your class] only received nerfs.

(edited by tetrodoxin.2134)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sparky Sights.9174

Sparky Sights.9174

Let me direct the OP to this video, it should explain why they are not elves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS97IqqCqYw

in Sylvari

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

The Sylvari are gorgeous, sorry you feel that they aren’t but you’re certainly a minority.
I loved the original design, but I love the new design even more. They are beautiful creatures and really attractive. If you want to play an elf go play any other MMO…

in Sylvari

Gele.2048

The Sylvari are gorgeous, sorry you feel that they aren’t but you’re certainly a minority.
I loved the original design, but I love the new design even more. They are beautiful creatures and really attractive. If you want to play an elf go play any other MMO…

im what ? minority let me tell you this if they placed elfes and sylvari in the same game whic one do u think HONESTLY gona be more played ?? there is reason why humans and norn are moust played and the rest is pure junk there are statcs about this cheak them .

in Sylvari

Posted by: shinreigari.7318

shinreigari.7318

I also agree with everybody saying sylvari are gorgeous. In fact, when i first saw their original design i was horrified, and i’m awfully glad they changed it to much more plant-like looks. I find humans boring in this game… the do have many, kinda-different hairstyles and faces and all, but for some reason those all look quite similar.
Oh and this has got to be the weirdest video i’ve seen this week.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

I’ve never really been able to get into Sylvari even though I have one (ranger). They all have a blank stare on their faces which makes them look like lifeless puppets/dolls and many of them look like humans with some kind of skin disease. Go to Youtube and look for the “Tree Man” and you will see what I mean. They’ve also always felt out of place among the other races, probably because they did not exist in GW1.

They have a semi-stare/sad face in the creation, but ingame they are much.. happier/curious looking.

They don’t feel out of place. In GW1 you see the pale tree shortly after it was planted. You see it growing. Their appearance is a mimic of human form. Instead of brows they have leaves. Hair can be anything from a mushroom to thorns to literal branches. I’ve never seen ones that look like “humans with a disease”. Infact, while some faces are clearly not like humans, some of the more common ones with players are…

in Sylvari

Behellagh.1468

I also agree with everybody saying sylvari are gorgeous. In fact, when i first saw their original design i was horrified, and i’m awfully glad they changed it to much more plant-like looks. I find humans boring in this game… the do have many, kinda-different hairstyles and faces and all, but for some reason those all look quite similar.
Oh and this has got to be the weirdest video i’ve seen this week.

Thank you. It’s from the late 70s short run TV series Quark which parodied Star Trek and other sci-fi material. Ficus was the emotionless Science Officer on the space garbage scow.

It’s nicely obscure. The line “Now we wait for the bee.” has stuck with me since 1978.

RIP City of Heroes

in Sylvari

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

I hated the original sylvari models – a lot of people did, and even Anet weren’t happy with it, and that’s why they were remodelled. Kristen’s redesign blew me the hell away. Visually and conceptually I think they’re the most interesting race in the game, and one of the more original, unique fantasy species I’ve seen for a good long while.

Soooo safe to say I completely disagree with your opinion I suppose :P

in Sylvari

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

You’re smoking crack. Sylvari is the most attractive race in the game.

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

The original Sylvari weren’t really very popular from the sounds of it in earlier stages of development. I guess they seemed boring at the time. I love my Sylvari characters but I do think it’s important to remember that there’s likely other mother trees in other regions of the game, so perhaps we will see the “original” design make a return in the future? I know I would still like to have that option, anyway.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

i love sylvari and yes you can make “pretty” elf-like sylvari so idk what you are talking about

we play a tree??? hell yeah we do, check lore lol

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Sylvari

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Sylvari are the master race, and part of the reason they are is because they’re beautiful.

Trees are awesome.

Your Sylvari is peeing lightning? :O

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

in Sylvari

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

im what ? minority let me tell you this if they placed elfes and sylvari in the same game whic one do u think HONESTLY gona be more played ?? there is reason why humans and norn are moust played and the rest is pure junk there are statcs about this cheak them .

I have no desire to please the masses. The same is true in ANY MMO – people always play humans more than other races. Partially because it’s simply easier for people to create a human character, partly because it can help them with immersion, and partly because alternate races in MMO’s can be really weird looking. That does not however mean that the Sylvari are a badly designed race, and it does not mean that they are ugly. If we are going to follow your viewpoint then we should just get rid of Charr and Asura while we’re at it since they aren’t humanoid and aren’t attractive.

You’re arguing that the Sylvari should be elves because you want to play an elf – but the reality is that the Sylvari AREN’T elves and a lot of people like them. So yeah….

in Sylvari

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

Sylvari are the master race, and part of the reason they are is because they’re beautiful.

Trees are awesome.

Your Sylvari is peeing lightning? :O

My sword gives me a lightning aura. The aura doesn’t comes out so well in pictures, it looks better in motion.

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

I think Sylvari can look anything from fierce to quite adorable.
I don’t think they are ugly at all

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

asking why the tree people aren’t elves is like asking why they aren’t orcs. The answer is because they’re busy being tree people.

in Sylvari

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

Personally, if elves were in this game, I wouldn’t ever play them. Same with dwarves, orcs, or any other overused race in games. I for one am glad that they came out with some creative races – Sylvari are unique, and they can be made to look beautiful.

I personally have two Sylvaris, and might make a third in the future. They are by far my favorite race, and there are a lot of other people who love what you can do with their looks.

Don’t like them? Then don’t play them. No one’s forcing you.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

in Sylvari

Posted by: ramorambo.6701

ramorambo.6701

that was a good idea from the moderator to move a complain topic about sylvary from whatever forum it was to the sylvary subforum, where indeed pretty much everyone like it.
Lol

in Sylvari

Posted by: DayLight.9603

DayLight.9603

I simply love the Sylvari culture! Having played since release, I now have 5x Sylvari characters and all of them look completely different from one another. I believe that there are more variety in the Sylvari creation process than in any other race, except maybe for the charr. And even if we are made up from branches, vines and tree-stuff… we are unique and awesome!

Oh.. and this made me laugh! Smart observation!

“that was a good idea from the moderator to move a complain topic about sylvary from whatever forum it was to the sylvary subforum, where indeed pretty much everyone like it.
Lol” – ramorambo.

Sylvari for life. <3

in Sylvari

Posted by: LordZeebee.5102

LordZeebee.5102

Come again? Can’t hear you over all my fabulousness~~

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Spira.4578

Spira.4578

Thing is – there are no elves. There are sylvaris – and we’re more than happy that we can play an awesome race like this. Same as the majority in this thread, I think, that Sylvaris look awesome and way cooler than humans.
Ok, so the are not elves. So what? I rather play a game with unique races than a game with another elf race in it. After playing mmos for more than 10 years, being able to play a unique race like Sylvari is a quite fresh experience.

Also – all those picked-race stats that you’re talking about, are 1 year+ old.

I find it really sad that the only races you find appealing are the races that are closest to the human race (humans and norns).
Almost as sad as not knowing how to spell Sylvari right after playing the game for more than 1 year.

(edited by Spira.4578)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

I like Sylvari, theyre great. Stop playing a monkey!

At least he didnt spell it Slyvari.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

in Sylvari

Posted by: Tjillin.3064

Tjillin.3064

So many female sylvari! Let me give you some examples of males. And I haven’t even done their armor properly yet! Imagine what you could do…

Also, I’m really glad they ain’t elves. Tbh I hate elves; such an overused overplayed race. And they’re always so ‘perfect’. Yuck. Same reason I picked a charr first, then an asure (no humans, no elves) but when I had to pick something more humanoid to make pvp jps easier on myself I could only pick sylvari as non human.

I was quite glad when I started playing around with the customization option… so many choices!

I usually use the ‘devil’ looks, because I like the sarcasm of them being a cute race x). The Piccolo one I just made to see how far I could get doing that. I have shoulders in the bank but am still hoping for a fitting hat :p.

Here goes:

Attachments: