Skill Points removed 6/23?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Just want to clarify since I saw this come up a couple of times in this thread and we haven’t actually released our full official patch notes for 6/23 yet….

Ascended Gear will be staying 5% better than Exotic Gear. Gear beyond the tiers we already have are not going to be added and our existing tiers won’t change, they won’t be our main end-game form of progression for your characters/account for all the reasons we’ve covered before – it isn’t what we think Gw2 is about.

Masteries is being added to PvE to help provide this system as our form of progression for PvE moving forward, and the WvW ability system exists for WvW and will be what we use to expand WvW in the future.

To more directly answer some of your point….We are adding a system that lets you change the stats for your ascended gear (weapons and armor) next Tuesday – which will cost a combination of 10 spirit shards, piece you don’t want anymore, 5 ectos, and an exotic insignia of the stats you want to convert to. Legendary Gear will remain the gear that can freely change stats any time.

-CJ
(Edited to clarify weapons and armor)

So If i’m reading this correctly, skill points will be removed from the game on Tuesday 6/23? I ask because I am close to map completion and want to know what to expect as far as skill challenges.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Skill challenges remain as they are on the world map, for what I can tell. Only they’ll give you hero points now.

So really, I think you maximize your outcome by getting as many unspent skill points as you can get by then, as those will likely all turn into shards, while also giving you hero points.

Or maybe not, I wouldn’t worry too much about it

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Arent they called heropoints from now on? And from what I have heard you have the same unlocked after the patch hits as you did before. So I am not worried about that, of course there could be some minor bugs

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here you go: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_point

At the bottom of the article are links to the Blogs and videos about the changes to Skill points and challenges.

Good luck.

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Slightly confused… my main character has well over 500 skill points. Does that mean I’m going to get loads of mystic forge stuff? It also says hero points will be used to progress characters when HoT launches. How does my 500 SP’s translate into that?

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

As I understand you will get your skill points refunded in shards for the mystic forge. Your character will then receive hero points according to your level and world ‘skill points’ completed.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Slightly confused… my main character has well over 500 skill points. Does that mean I’m going to get loads of mystic forge stuff? It also says hero points will be used to progress characters when HoT launches. How does my 500 SP’s translate into that?

Every level 80 will get 400 hero points and the number of skill points done in map, up to a max number. Those Hero points will be used to unlock your skills and traits. Any skill points you have above that max will be converted to spirit shards, usable to buy items from the mystic forge NPC. Any skill point scrolls in your inventory/bank will become a consumable that becomes the spirit shards.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Thank you! Very clear now.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Zord.6130

Zord.6130

Every level 80 will get 400 hero points and the number of skill points done in map, up to a max number. Those Hero points will be used to unlock your skills and traits. Any skill points you have above that max will be converted to spirit shards, usable to buy items from the mystic forge NPC. Any skill point scrolls in your inventory/bank will become a consumable that becomes the spirit shards.

Thank you for the clarification. I have one last question though:
will ALL Traits AND Skills that I have ALREADY unlocked on my characters (including the ones I “bought” with the books at the Trainer vendors) be reset?
Like, one of my characters has very few skill points (with 0 map completion) but has everything unlocked: will I need to unlock EVERYTHING again after the patch?

Powerpuff Girls [PPG]
Trixxi Is Cute – Purple Fhaz: your daily roamer

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

will ALL Traits AND Skills that I have ALREADY unlocked on my characters (including the ones I “bought” with the books at the Trainer vendors) be reset?
Like, one of my characters has very few skill points (with 0 map completion) but has everything unlocked: will I need to unlock EVERYTHING again after the patch?

The entire system changes. Nothing stays. Yes, your character with few skill challenges completed will have to reunlock every skill/trait.

Just a flesh wound.3589

All skills and traits will be locked and need to be unlocked. However the 400 hero points you get for being level 80 should be enough to unlock all skills and a couple of builds (according to what they said). Remember, it’s not necessary to unlock skills you don’t use if you prefer to focus on traits instead. You can always later do skill challenges if you want to unlock those skills.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I thought scrolls would still give skill points if used on <80 characters? It is all the confusion over skill points lately that have had me skipping skill challenges when going for map completions.

Hopefully the spirit shards will go into the wallet rather than becoming the new mystic forge stones and cluttering up my inventories.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I thought scrolls would still give skill points if used on <80 characters? It is all the confusion over skill points lately that have had me skipping skill challenges when going for map completions.

Hopefully the spirit shards will go into the wallet rather than becoming the new mystic forge stones and cluttering up my inventories.

No, scrolls will only be spirit shards. The new hero points are only from leveling to 80 and from doing skill challenges.

The scrolls will become a consumable, like the transmutation charges, so that you can still get them from champ bags and PvP, etc. you’ll need to click on them to put them in your wallet.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Check out the recent blog post on wallet changes , especially the last paragraph about skill points. Spirit shards will go into the wallet, and you will get spirit shards from tomes of knowledge when you use them on lvl 80 characters. Characters below level 80 still use tomes of knowledge to gain a level.

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

Not much point using up these scrolls then?…I guess. L20 scrolls?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Not much point using up these scrolls then?…I guess. L20 scrolls? and what about Tomes Of Know’ ?

You can use up the scrolls now or later. It won’t matter. Either way they will be something you have to click on to put in your wallet. You can always wait and see if the game does it automatically this one time with the update, but I doubt it. They will probably become the consumable.

Level 20 scrolls will still work only for chars under level 20. Tomes will give a level to those chars under level 80 and a spirit shard to level 80s.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

what about weapons ? Should I buy now stuff for weapons with my skill points. Or should I wait because that new system will make weapons cheaper.

Just a flesh wound.3589

what about weapons ? Should I buy now stuff for weapons with my skill points. Or should I wait because that new system will make weapons cheaper.

You mean Legendaries? I don’t recall if they have ever said anything about the mystic forge prices. The blog only says she will take spirit shards.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I still found the whole thing confusing so I spend all my skill points on elderich scrolls, because I don’t want to trust that my extras will turn into RNG mystic forge items. I have enough clovers and obsidian, ty.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^Skill points will not turn into any kind of MF/crafting materials. They will turn into Spirit Shard currency (and will be stored in your Wallet), and may be spent on said materials, if you so desire.

Good luck.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

Ya I got that. I made these purchases before the spirit shard news. I still have a couple toons with hundreds of SP tho, so, yay shard bank?

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)