Skill or Magic Find?

Skill or Magic Find?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Niraks.7046

Niraks.7046

Hey everyone,

recently I have been discussing this topic with a few friends. The reason behind this discussion is the fact that I’m not enjoying Guild Wars 2 that much anymore. I have completed Priory, Vigil and Order of Whispers storylines, I have 100% map completion and 3 level 80 characters. The only thing left is a Legendary weapon (at my eyes this is the only thing left for me to do).

But at this point I have just one question in mind: who has a Legendary?

I am Dungeon Master, done every path of each dungeon more than once and defeaten Lupicus too many times now. Still I am like 400 gold away from the Legendary I would like to have (without even taking into consideration the precursor needed). I only spent gold for jewels for my (old) main and some gold to max out professions. This means that I have to do like 300 dungeon runs (if I occasionally get a good drop) just to get the 3 required gifts. I have 800 hours of playing time and I don’t think this is a small amount.

Let’s take a random player that’s exactly the opposite of me. He is not Dungeon Master, he has only 1 level 80 character, he can beat Arah path 3 only with people that carry him and he has played for “only” 400 hours.

At this point, I am sure I have more skill than him and I am also sure that I would bring more to the team than him in every situation a team could encounter in a dungeon. But you know what? He already has a Legendary weapon.

How is this possible? He didn’t care about traits or armor stats… well, he just made sure that he had every possible stack of magic find on.

Magic find – better drops – more gold – faster Legendary
Skill instead of magic find – worse drops – less gold – slower Legendary

Thinking about it, I can’t even blame him. There is no need to prioritize skill over magic find just because CoF path 1 done in 8-10 minutes (no gear requirements) is more profitable than Arah path 4 in 1 hour and 30 minutes (skilled and well geared player). Even the measures to prevent people from farming are useless because you just need to follow this: CoF path 1 (8-10 minutes) – CoE path 1 (20 minutes) – TA path up (25 minutes) – (maybe AC path 2 if the runs are really fast) – CoF path 1 – …

I feel like I’m not getting rewarded for being a skilled player. By the time I finish Arah path 4, he does 5 dungeons with a profit of 5g (without considering the loot from his magic find stat and all the chests achieved that way). What do I have at the end? 1g and the satisfaction of finishing that path for the n-th time?

I don’t want to criticize his way of playing. Probably I’m envy that he is smarter than me: more farm, less practice, win a Legendary! But I don’t like the fact that even though I’m a better player than him, he can achieve unique things faster than me.

I want to know your opinions guys. Maybe I’m missing something because my conclusion to this is: don’t try to be better at the game, be better at taking advantage of the RNG side of the game.

(There is no need for you to mention the fact that Anet is going to change the way to get precursors because I already know it. I am talking about the actual GOLD you need for the Legendary or, in other words, how much more FARM than SKILL you need.)

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

Your outlook on the situation is completely correct. Legendaries should be difficult to attain; not through means of farming, no-lifing, and spending real life money on gems. It should be difficult through the means of content required to clear in order to attain the items.

ANet really screwed their wonderful game with the implementation of Legendaries. A huge grind, with 0 emphasis on skill.

And this is why in WvW, when I completely stomp over a guy with a Legendary weapon 1v1, I wonder.. did he really deserve it?

In my eyes, no. A legendary should require few select materials – All attained through the hardest dungeon or world fights in the game. I don’t even know if any of the Arah paths qualify for a degree of difficulty that I am looking for. These fights should be:

-Incredibly difficult
-Require preparation, planning, and teamwork
-100% drop chance on the item if the final boss is dispatched
-Take into account food buffs, conditions, precise dodge timing, and mechanics that not only stress teamplay but individual prowess

I mean come on, they’re legendaries. And as of right now, what I think when I see someone with a legendary is – Wow, he spent $1000 real life money OR kitten that person loves to no-life farm.

EDIT/ADDITION: I’m looking for something on par with Naxxramas 40-man in WoW. Naxxramas took two and a half months for the first guild to clear. That’s called difficulty. Why can’t we see fights designed so well?? That was in 2006… it’s almost 2013 ANet.

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

(edited by George Steel.1804)

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Mm yea, legendary at this stage means nothing more than the amount of gold in your pocket. Likewise with commander statuses. Though, with 800 hours of gameplay (I think i’m roughly the same) you should be well within your hundreds of g now? I personally farm only dungeons and occasional orr and have gotten enough money to make twilight if I wanted to but at this stage with so many noobs carrying it, I’m reluctant to join in.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

Your outlook on the situation is completely correct. Legendaries should be difficult to attain; not through means of farming, no-lifing, and spending real life money on gems. It should be difficult through the means of content required to clear in order to attain the items.

ANet really screwed their wonderful game with the implementation of Legendaries. A huge grind, with 0 emphasis on skill.

And this is why in WvW, when I completely stomp over a guy with a Legendary weapon 1v1, I wonder.. did he really deserve it?

In my eyes, no. A legendary should require few select materials – All attained through the hardest dungeon or world fights in the game. I don’t even know if any of the Arah paths qualify for a degree of difficulty that I am looking for. These fights should be:

-Incredibly difficult
-Take into account food buffs, conditions, precise dodge timing, and mechanics that not only stress teamplay but individual prowess

I mean come on, they’re legendaries. And as of right now, what I think when I see someone with a legendary is – Wow, he spent $1000 real life money OR kitten that person loves to no-life farm.

EDIT/ADDITION: I’m looking for something on par with Naxxramas 40-man in WoW. Naxxramas took two and a half months for the first guild to clear. That’s called difficulty. Why can’t we see fights designed so well?? That was in 2006… it’s almost 2013 ANet.

funny that you should think that way. i can only guess you’re not interested in a legendary yourself?

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Waraxx.4286

Waraxx.4286

can’t agree more. I’d like to see more of the legendary done on the dungeon / wvw / from karma and less from " oh look i’ve been successful on the TP" why is it that there are people with more than 3 or even 4 legendarys and its only 4 month into the game … and some people who have played the game longer isn’t even halfway on the way to legendarys…

to much emphasis on gold and to little on actually playing the game (karma) and being skillful at it ( tokens / badges) so much for “representing what we have achieved

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Asuka Shikinami.5462

Asuka Shikinami.5462

While I agree, this doesn’t just apply to legenderies. The point is applicable to most of the game. In dead maps where you have to solo events or champions, the generic reward is like 2 silver plus a little karma. Champions and veterans don’t seem to drop above blue, taking away the incentive to fight more challenging enemies and work towards better drops. Taking down 5 generic mobs is almost guaranteed to give better loot than an equivalent champion or veteran, at a fraction of the time and skill investment required.

While I agree dungeons should offer better rewards than map based PvE, that doesn’t mean the rewards should be neglected as they are now. In Frostgorge Sound there are event chains relating to the Sons of Svanir that I constantly solo as no one is around. A mistake can mean death, where you have to re-waypoint in, fight back to your previous location, fight all the instant respawned mobs then try to complete the previous objective, within a time limit. Maybe not dungeon level difficulty, but it basically offers no incentive to actually complete.

So the question remains, what reward is given to skill? What sense of accomplishment or achievement is rewarded in the current situation? What’s the point of the current obsessive RNG model in open world PvE where a single luckly drop can out-reward 100 hours of work?

Also, good luck with your legendary~

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink”
- John Smith

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

can’t agree more. I’d like to see more of the legendary done on the dungeon / wvw / from karma and less from " oh look i’ve been successful on the TP" why is it that there are people with more than 3 or even 4 legendarys and its only 4 month into the game … and some people who have played the game longer isn’t even halfway on the way to legendarys…

to much emphasis on gold and to little on actually playing the game (karma) and being skillful at it ( tokens / badges) so much for “representing what we have achieved

I agree with you, they could implement other things to sink gold than legendaries, it’s funny how everything revolves around it OR cultural armor (though I agree with the last one).
I truly believe in ArenaNet even though I’m getting tired of struggling against the precursor, and I do farm whenever I can, and it’s still far, unreachable, that is so frustrating.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Skill or Magic Find?

George Steel.1804

-Incredibly difficult

funny that you should think that way. i can only guess you’re not interested in a legendary yourself?

Absolutely correct. I’d rather devote my time in-game to something enjoyable, not grinding. I play for fun.

But what’s so funny about my thought process?

If you were to face me in WvW 1v1, you would realize my non-legendary hammer feels quite legendary when I’m putting you to the ground.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Skill or Magic Find?

Valento.9852

@George Steel.1804
The point is that there are a lot of people that like and want REWARDS, and since the game is about cosmetic stuff…
Time to think more about reward systems I suppose.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Skill or Magic Find?

George Steel.1804

@George Steel.1804
The point is that there are a lot of people that like and want REWARDS, and since the game is about cosmetic stuff…
Time to think more about reward systems I suppose.

As stated by ArenaNet on their “Legendaries” video: “The pinnacle of weaponry. Effects to show off your accomplishments, and symbolize what you’ve been doing.”

You think accomplishments are tied to RNG and farming/buying gold?
Sorry, not me.

There are many other rewards for players. But legendaries should be limited to those who have the skill capacity to wield them. Otherwise, they’re not really legendary.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Skill or Magic Find?

kiba.2768

-Incredibly difficult

Absolutely correct. I’d rather devote my time in-game to something enjoyable, not grinding. I play for fun.

If you were to face me in WvW 1v1, you would realize my non-legendary hammer feels quite legendary when I’m putting you to the ground.

your thought process isn’t funny..it’s what you think of legendaries and their owners that i find amusing.

not a place for wvw discussion, but a couple of points:

i am a casual.
i just made my legendary.
i am extremely competent in all areas of the game, wvw included. my skill level does not diminish nor is it nonexistent in any area of the game. i blame this on my taking 4 months to earn my legendary. there was no rush, but i can’t speak for all everyone who has a legendary. i will say that people who lump all legendary owners together into a goldbuyer/nolifer/noskiller niche are equally wrong as they are right.

Skill or Magic Find?

Valento.9852

-Incredibly difficult

your thought process isn’t funny..it’s what you think of legendaries and their owners that i find amusing.

i am a casual.
i am extremely competent in all areas of the game, wvw included. my skill level does not diminish nor is it nonexistent in any area of the game. i blame this on my taking 4 months to earn my legendary. there was no rush, but i can’t speak for all everyone who has a legendary. i will say that people who lump all legendary owners together into a goldbuyer/nolifer/noskiller niche are equally wrong as they are right.

How’d you get the precursor?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Skill or Magic Find?

George Steel.1804

-Incredibly difficult

i am a casual.

Another big point: I never said all the individuals who own legendaries don’t deserve them. Hell, I know there are good players who do.

But attaining one should be a test of skill, not a battle with RNG and real-life cash.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

I agree completely with the original poster.

Skill or Magic Find?

kiba.2768

i spent 2 months earning the 125g i needed for the chosen. then the day of the karka event, i went to work at 5am, set my buy order for 125g(next lowest buy order was 110g and the lowest listing was 140g).

came home from work overjoyed i got it, only to realize that they were going for 60g. a loss, but i didn’t really care as i was happy to get what i wanted and paid what i expected to pay.

after that event, anet increased the dungeon rewards, added in fractals and i learned a bit about the tp. i don’t flip items. contrary, i buy raw mats, craft and resell for 100%+ ROI. i do this in a matter of 2-5minutes while forming a party for a dungeon and by the time i’m out, all my items have sold and my new buy orders are filled ready to go again.

i make my money work for me while i enjoy the game. it’s not uncommon for me now to earn close to 400g per month playing casually. and this is not done in a way to exploit anyone out of their money. no market cornering, no exploits, no grinding, no nothing but pure enjoyment.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

It’s a game. It’s about fun. No one deserves anything. But more on point , magic find is a horrible game design and should be removed. If anything make it a potion of some sort.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Horheristo.3607

Horheristo.3607

All Anet need to do to make the whole world not lose its viability is to do the same they did with general drops from mobs (lv80 will get lv75+ drops from low lv mobs)
But instead give a daily champion coin reward like in Dungeons, from world champs.
DE’s got SAME difficulty all over the world, only problem is that we aren’t scaled down enough and most enemies will die in 1 or a very few hits – scale us lower and increase Karma rewards.

I think increasing rewards from world champs alone will be enough encouragement to revive all the world maps.

(edited by Horheristo.3607)

Skill or Magic Find?

Valento.9852

All Anet need to do to make the whole world not lose its viability is to do the same they did with general drops from mobs (lv80 will get lv75+ drops from low lv mobs)
But instead give a daily champion coin reward like in Dungeons, from world champs.
DE’s got SAME difficulty all over the world, only problem is that we aren’t scaled down enough and most enemies will die in 1 or a very few hits – scale us lower and increase Karma rewards.

I think increasing rewards from world champs alone will be enough encouragement to revive all the world maps.

This gave me an idea. So to prevent people from creating chars just to zerg champion killing, having them drop something extra would require 100% world completion (another use for Gift of Exploration?) or another achievement-wise requirement, could be unlocked daily or weekly as long as the reward(s) matched accordingly.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Skill or Magic Find?

Horheristo.3607

This gave me an idea. So to prevent people from creating chars just to zerg champion killing, having them drop something extra would require 100% world completion (another use for Gift of Exploration?) or another achievement-wise requirement, could be unlocked daily or weekly as long as the reward(s) matched accordingly.

The whole idea can still be account bound.
But with current extra slot prices, I don’t see why not just keep it per character, since the game is still only 4 months old and most new players won’t be able to afford more slots that easily other than buying gems. (more profit to Anet, plus for them)

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It takes more skill to play with magic find gear than it does without, assuming the one with magic find gear is performing equally or better than the other.

Legendaries should have been aquired through a quest-like approach though, where all materials must be achieved and not boughten. This is already somewhat true and would have been if the boughten materials weren’t so rare and so many were required.

One of GW2 features is that you should be happy to see another player, which is why mobs and nodes can’t be tagged. Unfortunately, this also means that skillful play isn’t rewarded, however zerging is. Only instanced content can get around this, fractals being the first attempt at a challenge mode.

Skill in general isn’t really required nowadays because – see the clock tower – it causes complaints from those who can’t do it.

From my point of view, the current legendaries aren’t legendary at all. I imagine getting the title “Legendary Farmer” for obtaining one – “so what?” if you have one. I would definitely like to see legendaries aquired though individual skill checks so that by just wearing one, you can tell who’s an above average player. Only the 1% would have one though, and it would quickly turn into gearscore. They could even dumb it down the next year to be fair.

Skill or Magic Find?

Horheristo.3607

It takes more skill to play with magic find gear than it does without, assuming the one with magic find gear is performing equally or better than the other.

Legendaries should have been aquired through a quest-like approach though, where all materials must be achieved and not boughten. This is already somewhat true and would have been if the boughten materials weren’t so rare and so many were required.

One of GW2 features is that you should be happy to see another player, which is why mobs and nodes can’t be tagged. Unfortunately, this also means that skillful play isn’t rewarded, however zerging is. Only instanced content can get around this, fractals being the first attempt at a challenge mode.

Skill in general isn’t really required nowadays because – see the clock tower – it causes complaints from those who can’t do it.

From my point of view, the current legendaries aren’t legendary at all. I imagine getting the title “Legendary Farmer” for obtaining one – “so what?” if you have one. I would definitely like to see legendaries aquired though individual skill checks so that by just wearing one, you can tell who’s an above average player. Only the 1% would have one though, and it would quickly turn into gearscore. They could even dumb it down the next year to be fair.

A player who made 1kg is still more competent than a player that didn’t.
Let’s face it, the combat system here is quite shallow and too kitten easy to learn.

You honestly think that someone who was smart enough (let’s admit it, he is) to get a legendary or a few, won’t be able to master the combat system if wanted to?

At the moment having a legendary by all means says “I am better than you”, you don’t have to agree or like that idea.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

@George Steel.1804

As stated by ArenaNet on their “Legendaries” video: “The pinnacle of weaponry. Effects to show off your accomplishments, and symbolize what you’ve been doing.”

I’ve just got to ask…
How is a rainbow Staff, My Little Pony Bow, Garden flora Bow or a bad FF7 Cloud knock off sword ever classed as a “Pinnacle of Weaponry”?

Pretty Sure Anet is trolling anyone who slaves their lives away to get one, why anyone would want one is lost on me…

Skill or Magic Find?

kiba.2768

just wearing one, you can tell who’s an above average player. Only the 1% would have one though, and it would quickly turn into gearscore.

you said it yourself. if this were the case, then a legendary becomes another gated mechanism.

there is no solution to the legendary issue we see in game. either someone has it and they are a ‘gold buyer/nolifer/noskiller’ or they are ‘above average’ and soon parties will only want people with legendaries to ‘prove’ their worth. even worse, if someone with a legendary is not of above average skill, would that be false advertisement to the party?

there seems to be a new problem when we solve another. the way i see it, it is fine the way it is. there is no way to appease everyone. if people are jealous of other people’s achievements, that is their issue entirely. resorting to namecalling and umbrella statements only shows the immaturity of said person. it should be taken on an individual basis AS THIS IS A SOCIAL GAME. or supposed to be anyway. that’s another argument that can go on forever…

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The currently open world temple events would have made great instanced raids, with some tweaking. As it is, this content is under-utilized because it is hard unless you have a lot of people, and the rewards for doing them are at the moment minimal. Put these events in an instance, set up a raid size and interface, and make some of the requirements for making a legendary item drop only in these raids. If only…

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

A player who made 1kg is still more competent than a player that didn’t.

Ah, but more competent at what? Orr running the same event chains over and over? Or sitting in LA and playing TP?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Gordok.2146

Gordok.2146

Magic find anywhere near any 5 man instance is the problem, not the legendary imo.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

(There is no need for you to mention the fact that Anet is going to change the way to get precursors because I already know it. I am talking about the actual GOLD you need for the Legendary or, in other words, how much more FARM and LUCK, than SKILL you need.)

Fixed it for you. It’s not only farm, it’s also a matter of RNG luck. You can call it Random Wars or Grind Wars if you like.

Unfortunately you are completely correct. I’ve done near everything in the game, I have 4120 achievement points and 900+ hours played but I’m still a very long way away of getting a legendary, why? Because I didn’t spend all those hours farming penit/shelter/plinx/cofp1 etc but instead I tried to do everything, not only dungeons, but explorable achievements, jumping puzzles, everything that the game has to offer. What was my “Reward” for doing everything in the game? Nothing.

When I first decided to get a Legendary I started with the “fun” part, getting 100% World Completion, I thought after I do that I would have a lot of materials for the rest… How wrong I was I only got less than 5% of the total needed… Same with finishing all dungeons, I expected to have enough materials/money to make a part of the legendary but again I had less than what 10% of the total needed?

Skill or Magic Find?

Horheristo.3607

(There is no need for you to mention the fact that Anet is going to change the way to get precursors because I already know it. I am talking about the actual GOLD you need for the Legendary or, in other words, how much more FARM and LUCK, than SKILL you need.)

Fixed it for you. It’s not only farm, it’s also a matter of RNG luck. You can call it Random Wars or Grind Wars if you like.

Unfortunately you are completely correct. I’ve done near everything in the game, I have 4120 achievement points and 900+ hours played but I’m still a very long way away of getting a legendary, why? Because I didn’t spend all those hours farming penit/shelter/plinx/cofp1 etc but instead I tried to do everything, not only dungeons, but explorable achievements, jumping puzzles, everything that the game has to offer. What was my “Reward” for doing everything in the game? Nothing.

When I first decided to get a Legendary I started with the “fun” part, getting 100% World Completion, I thought after I do that I would have a lot of materials for the rest… How wrong I was I only got less than 5% of the total needed… Same with finishing all dungeons, I expected to have enough materials/money to make a part of the legendary but again I had less than what 10% of the total needed?

Now I’ve got just about the same progress in achievements as you, less than 900 hours total and almost done with my 2nd legendary. (forget about other stuff like all classes at 80, 4 alts with full exotics etc…)

See what I mean by more competent here?
Some people just don’t know how to split their time in the game, jerk around, and come later to forums to tell us about their “great endevours”.

If you’re shooting to the starts, it will be painful, no matter what.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: bigtime.7410

bigtime.7410

Just buy some gems and convert to gold.

Skill or Magic Find?

maddoctor.2738

Now I’ve got just about the same progress in achievements as you, less than 900 hours total and almost done with my 2nd legendary. (forget about other stuff like all classes at 80, 4 alts with full exotics etc…)

Some people just don’t know how to split their time in the game, jerk around, and come later to forums to tell us about their “great endevours”.

Competent and RNG are completely different

Skill or Magic Find?

Horheristo.3607

What RNG?
I bought everything.

Skill or Magic Find?

maddoctor.2738

What RNG?
I bought everything.

And that’s exactly the problem as described by the OP and many others… you can buy everything! So a “competent” player that gets lots of legendaries is one that farms the most, arranges his time to do cof p1 and the events in Cursed Shore all day so he gets money, there is no real challenge, other than “organizing your time to do the most efficient farm”… I wouldn’t call that skill. And yes you are right above I didn’t organize my time well since I hate grinding/farming and I spent my hours having fun doing various stuff instead of farming events/dungeons like a bot.

Skill or Magic Find?

Horheristo.3607

What RNG?
I bought everything.

And that’s exactly the problem as described by the OP and many others… you can buy everything! So a “competent” player that gets lots of legendaries is one that farms the most, arranges his time to do cof p1 and the events in Cursed Shore all day so he gets money, there is no real challenge, other than “organizing your time to do the most efficient farm”… I wouldn’t call that skill. And yes you are right above I didn’t organize my time well since I hate grinding/farming and I spent my hours having fun doing various stuff instead of farming events/dungeons like a bot.

Well, at least you got one thing right about achieving a legendary:
You either play like a bot, or become a power trader.

Choose your weapon.

Skill or Magic Find?

maddoctor.2738

Well, at least you got one thing right about achieving a legendary:
You either play like a bot, or become a power trader.

Choose your weapon.

Agreed and that’s what my “problem” since I don’t like either of them
I hope Ascended gear (when they fully add it) won’t be like this….

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

Developers have long stepped away from requiring player skills to attain something. The WoW epic quests back then were the last time I saw that, I guess. They make babbycontent everyone gets through and nerf it later so even the challenged players make it.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Means he’s a smarter player then you for taking advantage of the system Anet designed for us.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I would love to magic ally find Legendary in my mail-box after showing legendary skill s.
That said I will never get a Legendary.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

For one, I’m loving the “i’m so much better than everybody” vibe in this topic. And even more so the way these leet players cry that, can you imagine, with all that skill and competence, they somehow can’t hold 10g together. Having in mind what gold sinks this game offers….I have a very hard time seeing anybody with 800h of playtime and 400g away from a legendary as pro.

Oh, almost forgot. Did it ever occur to you:
1. to check the meaning of “legendary”? Cause I’m fairly sure it doesn’t mean what you think.
2. that legendary weapons are the carrot on the stick? Without them, your casual pve player would stick around this game for 2-3 weeks
3. that legendaries should be obtainable for everybody, but actually obtained by the most dedicated?

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

Whilst I personally am quite happy with things requiring skill to obtain, ultimately it’s not a very player-friendly way to design a game.

In this game, anyone can get a legendary. It might take years, but sooner or later, as long as you stick to it, you’ll get one. You can shortcut the process with magic find, farming the right way, playing the TP successfully, buying gold, etc. But everyone can get one -eventually-.

If legendaries were stuck in some impossible dungeon, there will be a percentage of people who will never be able to get one, no matter what. They might live in Australia and have bad pings. They might have physical disabilities, be elderly, or are just bad at games. They will never be able to get a legendary.

Of course, you can say, “Well, if they are bad players, then they don’t deserve a legendary.” But then you are making an arbitrary judgement on who “deserves” one.

It’s no different than the current system – people who dont have the “dedication” to do whatever it takes to get a legendary, “dont deserve one.” Dedication means patience, willingness to blow RL money, boredom resistance, whatever. Just another arbitrary judgement on who “deserves” it or not.

So basically ANet has designed a system where “everyone” could potentially get a legendary, yet very few people actually do (since most give up or decide not to bother in the first place.) This means Legendaries are accessible to all, but are still exclusive and therefore valuable.

Compare to some alternative models:

- You get a legendary for completing your personal story. Legendaries are accessible to all, but are extremely common, and thus not valuable.

- Legendaries are obtained through some highly skilled method. They are rare/valuable, but they are not accessible to all, only those with good ping/reflexes/skills/guildmates.

Neither of those solutions maintain the “accessible for all, but still rare” feature of the current system. Although I’m sure there’s plenty of people who prefer either one.

Anyways, probably the best system is to have multiple ways to get to all content. You can get Legendaries through massive amounts of gold, beating some incredibly hard content, winning a big PvP tournament, top-scoring in jumping puzzle speedruns, etc etc.

Although ultimately something like that means Legendaries will be more common and thus less valuable. Unless they start introducing tiers of Legendaries. And then the complaints start again :P

Skill or Magic Find?

maddoctor.2738

Anyways, probably the best system is to have multiple ways to get to all content. You can get Legendaries through massive amounts of gold, beating some incredibly hard content, winning a big PvP tournament, top-scoring in jumping puzzle speedruns, etc etc.

That’s exactly what is needed. Multiple ways to get what you need and that’s exactly what the devs said they will do with Ascended gear (the current Fractals-only system is a failure, aknowledged by the devs themselves) so there is hope that they will add a way to get Legendaries in other ways too…. once they are upgraded to Ascended quality.

I just hope their “new system” won’t have anything to do with the current one, like getting Ascended through WvW? 100000000 tokens per piece, want to get Ascended through dungeons? 10000000000 tokens per piece, want to get Ascended from karma (if that will be an option) 1000000000000000000000 karma per piece, want to get it as random drop? 0.0000001% chance, want to get it from crafting? 1000 tier 6 mats etc etc. I expect something completely new and maybe challenging/worthwhile

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: JSmooth.7654

JSmooth.7654

…it’s not uncommon for me now to earn close to 400g per month playing casually.

I clearly must be doing something wrong…

I am a tank at heart.
Sometimes I wonder what I’m doing here…

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Niraks.7046

Niraks.7046

First, I would like to thank everyone for contributing to this discussion!

Second, I want to clarify my point. I didn’t mean to start a discussion about “Who deserves a Legendary?” and if that’s what you understood from the original post I apologize.
I’m not saying that a 24/7 farmer or an irreversible noob player shouldn’t be able to get Legendaries. I knew from the beginning that Guild Wars 2 was going to be a game in which every inch of content is accessible. The combat system is simple and everything is possible for everyone.
The problem that I have is that I don’t see why a skilled player that has no luck whatsoever with RNG has to play 1.000+ hours and a non-skilled player that was smart enough to get all the magic find possible can just farm / do the most basic dungeons / sit in LA with the TP open / kill a few trash mobs because of his gear (for a total of 400 hours).

Like I said, I am not saying that he doesn’t DESERVE to get a Legendary and that’s why I’m not complaining of him taking advantage of the system.
I don’t see why I need 1.000+ hours just because I don’t farm and because I wear overall better gear (that is not for farming purposes), and he can remain a noob because that way he spends 600 less hours to get his Legendary.

This looks like a lottery to me. I need to choose 5 out of 5 numbers when he gets 3 out of 5 numbers just by being lazy. For me there is a high chance to get nothing (loot), but he has 3 numbers that guarantee him at least a minimum price.

Again, I would like you to understand my point and correct my thought process if I’m missing something.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Chamone.6890

Chamone.6890

i am a casual.

i spent 2 months earning the 125g i needed for the chosen.

No. No you are not a casual.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Chamone.6890

Chamone.6890

1. to check the meaning of “legendary”? Cause I’m fairly sure it doesn’t mean what you think.
2. that legendary weapons are the carrot on the stick? Without them, your casual pve player would stick around this game for 2-3 weeks
3. that legendaries should be obtainable for everybody, but actually obtained by the most dedicated?

1: Pretty sure that “Legendary” has turned out to be not what anyone expected. It’s an extreme grind which can be bypassed with money, luck or exploits. There’s no way of getting one that will make me respect you as a person.

Extreme grind: You have no life.
Money: You’re just a rich kitten.
Luck: Wee-hoo, good for you you dropped 3 precursors from the karka chest
Exploits: You’re a cheater.

2: I’d prefer it if those players left after 2-3 weeks personally.

3: Being “dedicated” to a video game is nothing to be proud of.

Skill or Magic Find?

TWMagimay.9057

1: Pretty sure that “Legendary” has turned out to be not what anyone expected. It’s an extreme grind which can be bypassed with money, luck or exploits. There’s no way of getting one that will make me respect you as a person.

Extreme grind: You have no life.
Money: You’re just a rich kitten.
Luck: Wee-hoo, good for you you dropped 3 precursors from the karka chest
Exploits: You’re a cheater.

I mean the word “legendary”. The Lady of the Lake literally threw the sword at king Arthur’s feet. Does that mean the sword is not legendary since Arthur didn’t loot it from Morgana’s corpse?

2: I’d prefer it if those players left after 2-3 weeks personally.

And I’d prefer if players like you left after 2-3 weeks. Can’t have it all.

3: Being “dedicated” to a video game is nothing to be proud of.

Why not? It’s a hobby. It’s the same as being proud that you can run 2km in 5 min, draw awesome paintings, have a coin collection, know a lot about movies, are great at karaoke etc. To each his own.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

(…)

1. Perhaps one might not just think of the definition of it but also on how it is used in context. Because quite frankly a legendary weapon could have the status of a green item if you go by the meaning of the word legendary alone. (The real stuff of legend is also rarely found in a bazar – and if then only because the value was not known. One Excalibur only 10 rupees, grab it while it’s hot.)

2. So the pro TP player who achieves the carrot after 2-3 weeks sticks around longer … because? (exaggerating in a similar fashion) I’m somewhat sure that Anet would like us all to stick around.

3. Most dedicated in what?

I think you are hitting the nail here, it’s just that there are different angles.

The game mechanics are here to be discussed, only by questioning them/everything, can we maybe improve the game. There is no need for us to tell each other on how you are doing it wrong or condescending someone. Or worse, trying to come to conclusions on who we are talking too and what kind of person that is.

Having said that, I am not exactly sure how magic find itself is the issue. I would think that by giving up other stats for magic find you would have to make up for that with … skill?

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Skill or Magic Find?

kiba.2768

i am a casual.

i spent 2 months earning the 125g i needed for the chosen.

No. No you are not a casual.

yes I am. I play 3-4 hours a day. I am efficient with my time. by comparison I now make 400g a month with the same time played per day. it’s called streamlining my play time. you should try it sometime

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: ZaiTh.6378

ZaiTh.6378

I think it is a brilliant system with MF. I love how I can get into a pug and put on all magic find gear and make a ton of money. Why should I care about the others in my group who try to max dps and ensure they contribute to make the group succeed? Everyone can revive players, why care if I die and make them work harder? They have the gear for it to allow me to succeed. I love this plan! Thanks guys for supporting me! Please never change this, I love making money!

Tranzik 80 Mesmer (Stormbluff Isle)
400 Tailor/400 Weaponsmith
I beat the Game in less than 2 Months.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: BUTTERBLUME.3217

BUTTERBLUME.3217

I think it is a brilliant system with MF. I love how I can get into a pug and put on all magic find gear and make a ton of money. Why should I care about the others in my group who try to max dps and ensure they contribute to make the group succeed? Everyone can revive players, why care if I die and make them work harder? They have the gear for it to allow me to succeed. I love this plan! Thanks guys for supporting me! Please never change this, I love making money!

Finally someone who has understood what the devs were thinking when they made the decision to implement MF like this.

To add to your post: If your group is not good enough to carry you appropriately, just leave. Find a new, better group. Means more money for you!

(edited by BUTTERBLUME.3217)

Skill or Magic Find?

TWMagimay.9057

1. Perhaps one might not just think of the definition of it but also on how it is used in context. Because quite frankly a legendary weapon could have the status of a green item if you go by the meaning of the word legendary alone. (The real stuff of legend is also rarely found in a bazar – and if then only because the value was not known. One Excalibur only 10 rupees, grab it while it’s hot.)

What is the context of Legendary weapons though? From what I’ve seen, it’s closer to the word definition than to what players seem to think it is… And we don’t usually find real legendary stuff because we don’t live in fantasy world(which makes most legends just glorified fairy tales). But people do often find exqusite items in random places. Smb found a Stradivarius violin on the street, antique dealers visit flea markets looking for valuables etc.

2. So the pro TP player who achieves the carrot after 2-3 weeks sticks around longer … because? (exaggerating in a similar fashion) I’m somewhat sure that Anet would like us all to stick around.

I doubt anybody plays GW2 just for the TP flipping. I mean, there are enough economy-oriented games out there to satisfy people who only need that. It’s a very niche market with a limited application in more or less standard MMOs.

3. Most dedicated in what?

Whatever it is they do to get the legendary.

Having said that, I am not exactly sure how magic find itself is the issue. I would think that by giving up other stats for magic find you would have to make up for that with … skill?

It’s, like, a trend. Your(and my) logic about mfind gear doesn’t work. Today I finally found the time to run fotm 8(because my girl is supporting alts and I need them tokens). Me in Knight set, a guy in mfind set(at least the runes, that parrot is hard to miss) and 3 other guys. Guess who spent half the run on the floor? And guess who kept hitting the adds when the fire bird went in the bubble? I actually had to resu the mfind guy midfight because I couldn’t solodown the bubble fast enough and without him we were looking at an endless fight for obvious reasons. The other I just left on the floor, cause they were all so useful in their non-mfind gear(I know at least one of them wasn’t in mfind, cause he decided to QQ bout the parrot).