Skipped dailies, am still alive

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

So, why are people mad at the daily change then? It dictated what you should do before, it dictates now. There was no “play how you want” in the first place, unless its real “play how you want to be dictated”

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I’m sorry. People don’t need direction? Have you ever even looked at the player helping player forums? The idea of people needing direction is why the entire industry has moved in the direction it has.

What do you think Dulfy is? Do you think no one goes there? Do you think everyone found those coins in Dry Top by exploring?

Do you think people who play other MMOs read the quest text and figure out where to go? Or do the skip the quest text and follow an arrow?

Even in Guild Wars 2, in story missions, there are giant arrows telling you where to go.

In tests run before the game was released, Anet had to add hearts, because people were running by events, because there was no text telling them what to do. One dev was watching a player run by a burning house and he asked the player why the player didn’t go inside to check it out, and the player said because I didn’t have a quest for it.

Why do you think people who are used to quest hubs get confused by playing this game? There are tons of posts about it, and even more people I’ve talked to in game.

Where is Vayne getting this? Reality, that’s where.

Excellent post and very well said.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

The op is prevaricating mightily. A bold liar, that one!

Yes indeed, I heard it from Bill I Am that he was stone dead, taken up to the saints for having neglected his terrestrial duties.

Right shame, I thought it was. Blighter didn’t give a thought in the world to how his decisions would affect the rest of us, or what a piteous example his negligence would serve to future generations.

Bally sod has the audacity to claim he’s still amongst the righteous? I don’t believe a word of it. He’s dead as dead is, sure as Bob’s your uncle.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

My wife has been skipping dailies for since she started playing GW2, she was even skipping playing GW2 for over a year (well she never really played GW2 with a passion anyway).

Still alive.

So little point in this thread – but hey, at least someone from ANet spoke to us. Thank god for all this communication!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

You all lie. You died when you didn’t finish the dailies and are currently stuck in Limbo which conveniently is the internet.

Fixed that for you.

So, why are people mad at the daily change then? It dictated what you should do before, it dictates now. There was no “play how you want” in the first place, unless its real “play how you want to be dictated”

Some do not like the increased specificity. “5 Events” could be completed almost anywhere in the game. “4 Events in Metrica Province” can only be completed in Metrica Province. “Gather 20 from Nodes” can be gotten almost anywhere in PvE/WvW. “Gather from 4 Nodes in Maguma” can only be completed in Maguma.

Some PvE-only players do not like the reduced options. 8 options for PvE, needing 5, leaves 3 that can be ignored and still complete the daily. 4 options for PvE, needing 3, leaves only 1 that can be ignored and still complete the daily.

Some do not like the all-or-nothing aspect of the AP reward. Before, one could get anywhere from 0 to 12 AP. Now, one gets 0 or 10, with nothing for partial completion.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Far too many people play for the achievements specifically for them to be abolished. For people who do need direction, achievements are an important guide.

So….people want to play as they want….but be told what to do….?

I don’t know where Vayne gets this – people don’t “need” direction. Anet introduced a system (Dailies) that shows or reminds players of choices they might not normally make in their game play. People could choose to do those activities and get a small reward. Only recently has Anet started trying to force players to do certain activities by reducing rewards for straight PvE play (maps / hearts).

It they don’t need direction, then why care about dailies that (before and after update) that told you what to do?

Right: I don’t need direction so I don’t like dailies that have so few straight PvE choices that I am forced to do something I don’t want to do in order to get the same rewards I got before the changes.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

My wife has been skipping dailies for since she started playing GW2, she was even skipping playing GW2 for over a year (well she never really played GW2 with a passion anyway).

Still alive.

So little point in this thread – but hey, at least someone from ANet spoke to us. Thank god for all this communication!

Certainly little point to your post, since she wasn’t really into the game. I’m pretty sure my wife would not willing miss a daily even now.

Serophous.9085

Far too many people play for the achievements specifically for them to be abolished. For people who do need direction, achievements are an important guide.

I don’t know where Vayne gets this – people don’t “need” direction. Anet introduced a system (Dailies) that shows or reminds players of choices they might not normally make in their game play. People could choose to do those activities and get a small reward. Only recently has Anet started trying to force players to do certain activities by reducing rewards for straight PvE play (maps / hearts).

It they don’t need direction, then why care about dailies that (before and after update) that told you what to do?

Right: I don’t need direction so I don’t like dailies that have so few straight PvE choices that I am forced to do something I don’t want to do in order to get the same rewards I got before the changes.

But….you were told to do stuff before the change, so you did like being directed.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Still alive.

Certainly little point to your post, since she wasn’t really into the game. I’m pretty sure my wife would not willing miss a daily even now.

The point is, there is a degeneration in matters of gameplay. Before: play the game and you probably get rewarded with achieving the daily. Now: log in, get reward, log out.

I have not done a single daily since the change. If ANet’s goal is to make people play less, they are really successful with it. If I get more enjoyment and reward out of just logging in in LA than from playing the game, something is wrong.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Still alive.

The point is, there is a degeneration in matters of gameplay. Before: play the game and you probably get rewarded with achieving the daily. Now: log in, get reward, log out.

I have not done a single daily since the change. If ANet’s goal is to make people play less, they are really successful with it. If I get more enjoyment and reward out of just logging in in LA than from playing the game, something is wrong.

Before when I played the game, I usually tried to get as many of the dailies done as I could. The game is improved for me.

It’s not a degeneration of the game. It’s an improvement for certain play styles and a problem for others…like virtually every change. Content is too easy or too hard. It’s too fast, or it’s not long enough. It’s released too quickly or not quickly enough. It’s too hand holding or it’s confusing. You’re never going to get everyone to agree.

But this isn’t a degeneration, even if you say it is, because it’s absolutely improved my game. It may be a personal degeneration for you.

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

don’t do it. You might regret 1 year from now.

Don’t fall to the dark side. Must… resist…

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

When did you get 10 AP for dailies before this change without being told what to do?

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

I did the dailies. Because I felt like it. And hey, I survived too!

- We should all aspire to be like Gaile, who does the dailies and likes it too.

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

I haven’t been able to fall asleep since I stopped doing them.

http://youtu.be/xuulDbJ5ysQ

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

I cant sleep if I know I have daily’s unfinished :I

Djinn.9245

But….you were told to do stuff before the change, so you did like being directed.

No, I was given more choices that I liked so I didn’t feel forced to do anything. I could choose to do things that I liked. Now I might have 1 or 2 choices that I like so I feel forced to do something I don’t like in order to get the same AP I got before the changes.

I am not advocating going back to the old Dailies – I think its great that players who enjoy WvW, PvP, Fractals, etc. have more choices to get their AP. I just wish that I had more choices as well.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Serophous.9085

No, I was given more choices that I liked so I didn’t feel forced to do anything. I could choose to do things that I liked. Now I might have 1 or 2 choices that I like so I feel forced to do something I don’t like in order to get the same AP I got before the changes.

I am not advocating going back to the old Dailies – I think its great that players who enjoy WvW, PvP, Fractals, etc. have more choices to get their AP. I just wish that I had more choices as well.

You were given more choices on how to be dictated to. But you were still told what to do.

What you really want to say is:

“Anet, the old dailies gave me more choices in telling me what to do. You have limited me now in fewer things I am dictated to do. Please give me more options in telling me what to do.”

(edited by Serophous.9085)

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

Anyone find it ironic how the “play what I want” folks cry when their checklist gets nerfed?

Djinn.9245

Anyone find it ironic how the “play what I want” folks cry when their checklist gets nerfed?

No, because when your number of choices are lessened, you are less able to play as you want.

Serophous.9085

No, because when your number of choices are lessened, you are less able to play as you want.

Less able to be TOLD how to play as you want

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

Please list for me the activities you’re no longer able to do because of the patch.

Serophous.9085

Please list for me the activities you’re no longer able to do because of the patch.

Are you suggesting to him to do the same things he did before without a reward!?

Shame! Shame! Shaaaaaaaaame!

Ardenwolfe.8590

Impossible. The Picard sayeth thou shalt do the dailies. Or one will burn in eternal hellfire.

The Picard said, “Make it so.”

And it was.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

Did you know there is a hidden sustenance mechanic in GW2?

That if you don’t eat at least 10 AP regularly your character will DIE of starvation. (this death is hidden from the player because of some china taboo)

Serophous.9085

Did you know there is a hidden sustenance mechanic in GW2?

That if you don’t eat at least 10 AP regularly your character will DIE of starvation. (this death is hidden from the player because of some china taboo)

Wait, is that the one where your whole account suffers perma death and you have to completely start over? Even buying a new game?

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

In all honesty I could log in before, jump into PvE and/or WvW and just play the game (opening map, gathering, events, etc) and get my dailies without ever even looking at the list to see what might have been on it. I literally happened my way into the daily just by playing. Now i have to see if I can do them all in PvE or if I am going to HAVE to jump into WvW to get them completed. Add to that my general “meh” about WvW lately and yeah, it makes me think about dailies as more of a chore now than before.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

I skipped most of them. Being a PvE solo player I don’t don’t do fractals and that festivity thingy ‘get those legs moving???’ ehm, why is that considered PvE at all?? Anyway, it does not matter. I play the maps I like. But I DO notice I play less than before this change. Apperently I used to spend some extra time when I had a chr. on a specific daily map to complete it. But in the new system this only happende twice. So I skipped the rest.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Holly molly Jolly!
You need a medal.

:| Weirdly enough with the new system, I’m getting rewarded for login in once a day for 5 minutes to flip on TP. Kind of funny…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

It’s OK everybody, I bravely took the plunge and risked everything by not doing my dailies yesterday, and it turns out I’m still breathing. No thanks necessary. Keep trucking out there.

It could’ve been worse. You could’ve stepped outside.

Attachments:

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

That’s actually quite easy to answer. Let’s say player Bob only has 45 minutes or so to play each day. Before the patch he could go anywhere in the world, have nodes to gather, mobs/players to put conditions on, mobs’/players’ attacks to dodge, events to complete etc. So Bob could do whatever he liked, Bob could have an enjoyable 45 minute gaming session.

Post patch, Bob has to use most of that time going to specific places if he’d like to complete the daily. After racing around metrica province hoping to score a hit on some mobs before the other 20 people kill the low level mobs, searching for gathering nodes in another zone.. and oh.. 2 fractal dailies!? Okay.. gotta find something else to fill in that last daily completion. Well, there’s the majority of Bob’s gaming session done and poor Bob didn’t get to do what he’d normally do (no dungeons or a few world bosses for example) and didn’t have that satisfying of a time in GW2 today.

Hypothetical but completely realistic situation for those gamers with less time to log in. (This isn’t my situation, but I’m able to have empathy for those who are in such a situation.)

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

That’s actually quite easy to answer. Let’s say player Bob only has 45 minutes or so to play each day. Before the patch he could go anywhere in the world, have nodes to gather, mobs/players to put conditions on, mobs’/players’ attacks to dodge, events to complete etc. So Bob could do whatever he liked, Bob could have an enjoyable 45 minute gaming session.

Post patch, Bob has to use most of that time going to specific places if he’d like to complete the daily. After racing around metrica province hoping to score a hit on some mobs before the other 20 people kill the low level mobs, searching for gathering nodes in another zone.. and oh.. 2 fractal dailies!? Okay.. gotta find something else to fill in that last daily completion. Well, there’s the majority of Bob’s gaming session done and poor Bob didn’t get to do what he’d normally do (no dungeons or a few world bosses for example) and didn’t have that satisfying of a time in GW2 today.

Hypothetical but completely realistic situation for those gamers with less time to log in. (This isn’t my situation, but I’m able to have empathy for those who are in such a situation.)

You underestimate Bob.

Post patch, Bob happily collects some rewards just from logging in. He looks at the dailies and thinks, “Do I really care about the 10 AP today? I have an extremely limited play time, so AP isn’t something that interests me very much.” Bob then goes and actually does what he wants, without being sidetracked by having to find 10 dead NPCs, or finding mobs that actually inflict conditions in the start zone he’s in, or having to bother dodging mob attacks that do negligible damage and can be easily tanked, or having to equip a weapon set with a bunch of interrupts and then waiting on the cooldowns and slowly hoping to get 15 rather than just killing the mobs, or having to find some water and kill mobs there, or having to stop every few seconds to gather things he’d much rather just run past, or having to go back to the vendor to buy more salvage kits, or having to find a jumping puzzle and try and get to the end of it, or having to leave the high level zone he’s in to get some events to mentor, or having to do events at all when he really just wants to do map completion things, or having to find two different group events and waiting for other players to come and help him, or, heaven forbid, actually having to group up to do a dungeon or fractals.

Bob seems a lot happier to me.

The old dailies were terrible for “play how you want.” Their only advantage was in “play where you want.”

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

This thread is a lie. I skipped one daily and when I logged in the next day and not only were all of my characters were deleted and my account banned, but my identity was stolen and all my credit cards hacked so I could no longer even purchase another copy of the game (and a dev came to my house and stole the money from my sock drawer so I couldnt even buy one with cash).

Beware.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Hello forum posters.

I am writing this to you with my dying breaths. Upon reading the advice in this thread, I determined I would like to skip my dailies. After all, it is the holidays and I am busy with family.

Little did I know, terror would befall me. When I recognized that I would miss out on a potential 10 achievement points, my chest cried out in pain. A heart attack, I think. I’m not really sure. I fully intend to head to the hospital, but I wanted to make sure I updated here first.

I will hopefully survive, but right now, I’m beginning to think maybe I just should have done like five minutes of WvW or ten minutes of PvP.

With regrets and soon to be dead,

Karaoke

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

Not only are you still alive; your flesh wounds are less than they would have been under the old system.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

Hello forum posters.

I am writing this to you with my dying breaths. Upon reading the advice in this thread, I determined I would like to skip my dailies. After all, it is the holidays and I am busy with family.

Little did I know, terror would befall me. When I recognized that I would miss out on a potential 10 achievement points, my chest cried out in pain. A heart attack, I think. I’m not really sure. I fully intend to head to the hospital, but I wanted to make sure I updated here first.

I will hopefully survive, but right now, I’m beginning to think maybe I just should have done like five minutes of WvW or ten minutes of PvP.

With regrets and soon to be dead,

Karaoke

When you go to the hospital, you MUST ask them to revive you the way it is done in Tyria. Your HP pool depends on the swift application of rubbing.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

I’ve been doing dailies for 2 accounts since the update, in less than an hour for both. I too am still alive.

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

In tests run before the game was released, Anet had to add hearts, because people were running by events, because there was no text telling them what to do. One dev was watching a player run by a burning house and he asked the player why the player didn’t go inside to check it out, and the player said because I didn’t have a quest for it.

This is the funniest thing I have read tonight. Just picturing this in my head is making me LOL so hard. I had no idea this happened as I didn’t come around until Beta Weekend 3 I think it was and I didn’t get a chance to venture out too far even in the starting zones.

I’ll probably get hate for this but I despise those Renown Hearts so much. I hope in another feature patch they get removed and replaced with more events, and for the hearts that already have events start in their vicinity, they start more frequently and the NPC that’s related to the event can sell armor/weapon (or basically skins if you outlevel the gear) for karma or coin when the event finishes successfully. It would make exploration on alts a lot more fun for me at least. It’s why I’ve been enjoying the two new zones a lot too from the LS. I just kinda make my way there with my alts and have a blast re-exploring them while doing any of the events I want when they pop up as I chart the place.

Sometimes I think there are more people playing games as a checklist than there are just experiencing the world.

Exactly right, it’s what I kinda of dislike about the hearts. I know they give you a plethora of ways to fill them but it still feels against my own play style. The vistas and PoIs I don’t mind since I would eventually tread over or near them at some point and take in the awesome views. Hell, I still watch every vista cutscene I activate on my alts to its conclusion just ’cause I like them so much.

For the most part, the new daily system I have been enjoying so far (even the double fractal one), especially when compared to how repetitive the Wintersday dailies are, ‘cause even though they are a check list of sorts, they direct me to some zones I haven’t really been in for a long time.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

This thread is a lie. I skipped one daily and when I logged in the next day and not only were all of my characters were deleted and my account banned, but my identity was stolen and all my credit cards hacked so I could no longer even purchase another copy of the game (and a dev came to my house and stole the money from my sock drawer so I couldnt even buy one with cash).

Beware.

Wait, Sizer, did you forget to mention you refrigerator stopped working?

I’ve been doing dailies for 2 accounts since the update, in less than an hour for both. I too am still alive.

I commend you. I have to confess it’s taken me longer than 30 minutes to do mine, some days. But then, I have this tendency to stop and smell the flowers, or chat with other players, or get attracted by that Wintersday prezzie on the distant horizon, so…

And DJ — any time you get to use “plethora” in a forum post, the day is just a little brighter, wouldn’t you agree?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Serophous.9085

Beware.

Wait, Sizer, did you forget to mention you refrigerator stopped working?

I commend you. I have to confess it’s taken me longer than 30 minutes to do mine, some days. But then, I have this tendency to stop and smell the flowers, or chat with other players, or get attracted by that Wintersday prezzie on the distant horizon, so…

And DJ — any time you get to use “plethora” in a forum post, the day is just a little brighter, wouldn’t you agree?

Gaile, I haven’t done my dailies yet, so could you please tell whichever dev is using my camera to spy on me and make it move on its own to stop? I’ll get to them, i promise. Its just 2:30am and I have to sleep. And i reaaaaallly don’t feel comfortable one of you watching me…

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

So, what exactly is preventing Bob from doing all of that now ? I mean you’ve established that it is enjoyable for Bob to do all of those things so what is to prevent him from doing them ?

The request was, “Please list for me the activities you’re no longer able to do because of the patch,” is it no longer possible to gather, apply/remove conditions, etc ?

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

The previous dailies were general and the new ones are more specific.

Frankly, I find the new dailies to be boring and insipid and limited.

What’s the pont of any game activity? To be entertaining. That’s all. The new dailies are dull. That’s my only complaint.

Fortunately, there are other things to do.

(edited by Sytherek.7689)

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Can someone explain how viewing a vista is any better / more challenging / funner than visiting the laurel vendor?

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

Can someone explain how viewing a vista is any better / more challenging / funner than visiting the laurel vendor?

The laurel vendor has bad breath.

Djinn.9245

You underestimate Bob.

Post patch, Bob happily collects some rewards just from logging in. He looks at the dailies and thinks, "Do I really care about the 10 AP today? I have an extremely limited play time

So before Bob could play as he wanted AND get 10 AP where now Bob has to choose whether he plays as he wants OR gets 10 AP. I suppose you don’t see a problem with this.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Seems to me, Bob needs to get a life.

Gone to Reddit.

Serophous.9085

You underestimate Bob.

Post patch, Bob happily collects some rewards just from logging in. He looks at the dailies and thinks, "Do I really care about the 10 AP today? I have an extremely limited play time

So before Bob could play as he wanted AND get 10 AP where now Bob has to choose whether he plays as he wants OR gets 10 AP. I suppose you don’t see a problem with this.

Does Bob honestly care about the AP? If Bob is no longer having fun doing the same thing because there is no AP now, he wasn’t playing for fun in the first place.

Djinn.9245

So, what exactly is preventing Bob from doing all of that now ? I mean you’ve established that it is enjoyable for Bob to do all of those things so what is to prevent him from doing them ?

As was stated, if Bob wants to do Map completions in a particular zone, he can’t because he has to go gather nodes in Brisbane and something else in some other specific zone (instead of Maguuma Jungle or some broad area of the map where you can pick a zone you want.) And then he has to stop map completion altogether to do a dungeon or fractal or go to WvW.

Previously many people could accomplish dailies while playing your character the way you wanted. Now they can’t.

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

As was stated, if Bob wants to do Map completions in a particular zone, he can’t

Yes he can.

because he has to go gather nodes in Brisbane and something else in some other specific zone (instead of Maguuma Jungle or some broad area of the map where you can pick a zone you want.) And then he has to stop map completion altogether to do a dungeon or fractal or go to WvW.

No he doesn’t.

Previously many people could accomplish dailies while playing your character the way you wanted. Now they can’t.

The only thing(s) you get from doing dailies you can get elsewhere in the game.

Previously if you wanted to work on earning laurels and AP, in general you had to:

1) log in.
2) do dailies

Now if you want to work on earning laurels and AP, in general you have to:

1) log in
2) play wherever you want.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

As was stated, if Bob wants to do Map completions in a particular zone, he can’t because he has to go gather nodes in Brisbane and something else in some other specific zone (instead of Maguuma Jungle or some broad area of the map where you can pick a zone you want.) And then he has to stop map completion altogether to do a dungeon or fractal or go to WvW.

yes but the reward you got for daily you now get for login and do nothing so mr bob can still do what ever he wants, if he want the 5 ap he got from daily before he sadly cant get that.

Instead he have to put in some effort and get dubble ap of 10 + extra reward for each daily task he complete

Djinn.9245

I honestly don’t understand these replies. No, you can’t play where you want and still get the same Daily AP. I’m not sure why that is difficult to understand.