Skipped dailies, am still alive

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I honestly don’t understand these replies. No, you can’t play where you want and still get the same Daily AP. I’m not sure why that is difficult to understand.

But wasent Mr bob a casual player? why would he care about the ap wasent he doing daily for the reward?

and its true you can no longer get 12 ap but that took alot more effort then the 10 ap now and if all your after is them you get pently of easy ones you just have to mix pve and wvw pveing

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

That’s actually quite easy to answer. Let’s say player Bob only has 45 minutes or so to play each day. Before the patch he could go anywhere in the world, have nodes to gather, mobs/players to put conditions on, mobs’/players’ attacks to dodge, events to complete etc. So Bob could do whatever he liked, Bob could have an enjoyable 45 minute gaming session.

Post patch, Bob has to use most of that time going to specific places if he’d like to complete the daily. After racing around metrica province hoping to score a hit on some mobs before the other 20 people kill the low level mobs, searching for gathering nodes in another zone.. and oh.. 2 fractal dailies!? Okay.. gotta find something else to fill in that last daily completion. Well, there’s the majority of Bob’s gaming session done and poor Bob didn’t get to do what he’d normally do (no dungeons or a few world bosses for example) and didn’t have that satisfying of a time in GW2 today.

Hypothetical but completely realistic situation for those gamers with less time to log in. (This isn’t my situation, but I’m able to have empathy for those who are in such a situation.)

You underestimate Bob.

Post patch, Bob happily collects some rewards just from logging in. He looks at the dailies and thinks, "Do I really care about the 10 AP today? I have an extremely limited play time

So before Bob could play as he wanted AND get 10 AP where now Bob has to choose whether he plays as he wants OR gets 10 AP. I suppose you don’t see a problem with this.

Normally i got 4-6 AP with play like i want .. for more i would also had to do stuff
that i normally wouldn’t do. So normally i got just my 5 AP per day.

For that reason i can more or less live with the fact that i can’t finish a daily every
few days. However it still leaves a bad feeling .. but thats not really rational.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I honestly don’t understand these replies. No, you can’t play where you want and still get the same Daily AP. I’m not sure why that is difficult to understand.

Every zone has AP available to be earned. You do not have to do dailies to earn AP. An AP earned from doing dailies is no different from an AP earned doing any number of things in whatever zone you choose.

As an example:

You get gold as a reward from completing a dungeon. If you don’t like dungeons there are many other ways for you to get gold. Gold earned in a dungeon does not spend any differently than gold earned by killing mobs in the open world. You get AP as a reward from doing dailies. If you don’t want to do the specific tasks associated with a given day’s dailies there are many other ways for you to get AP. AP earned doing dailies don’t count differently toward your AP track than AP earned otherwise.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Just FYI, Anet made these changes to Dailies because people felt compelled to do too much. So Anet understands that people do have a problem skipping dailies and actually made changes to the game to help people with this problem. So apparently it is valid. The issue with the changes are the extreme small number of straight PvE choices (not dungeons, Fractals, JP, etc.)

Gaile, did you realize that Anet understands that people feel compelled to do dailies? Because you seem to be joining in on making fun of the people these changes were made for…

I think the bigger issue is that they named the new system “Dailies”. The replacement for the old dailies is the log-in rewards, not the new dailies. Naming them differently could have helped it a lot.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Every zone has AP available to be earned.

I specified “Daily AP” for a reason. I want my Daily AP in addition to the AP I would get in a zone.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I specified “Daily AP” for a reason. I want my Daily AP in addition to the AP I would get in a zone.

Then mix and match pve with the WvWpve dailys like today kill 5 npc guards and kill 1 dollyak it cost you nothing to go into wvw and spend 5-10 mins there of your limited play time

Ashen.2907

So its not about choices, being able to play the way one wants, being able to do certain things in game, and so on….

Its about getting rewards faster.

Understood. Can’t fault you for that.

Keep in mind that AP acquisition under the previous system was an outlier in terms of GW2 (or pretty much any game) reward acquisition. If you want rewards as fast as possible it is normal to have to go out of your way. The change to dailies brings them more in line with the rest of this game, and with games in general.

Regardless a player CAN still do all of the stuff they did before, CAN still play as they like, and WILL be rewarded for it. If your concern is getting those rewards faster, or as fast as possible….well that generally requires something from you just like getting dungeon tokens faster or as fast as possible means building, grouping, and playing accordingly.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I did the dailies. Because I felt like it. And hey, I survived too!

So toxic sarcasm is acceptable here, so long as your opinion supports current game mechanics. Good to know.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Ashen.2907

So toxic sarcasm is acceptable here, so long as your opinion supports current game mechanics. Good to know.

It kind of looks like she was just posting in the same lighthearted vein as the OP to me.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Um . . . yes, this thread is supposed to be lighthearted. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Gaile has a history of partisanship and sarcasm. I find her attitude refreshing; she actually has a personality and opinions. She’s not a whitewashed corporate minion. I like her.

The danger is, she’ll anger brittle players. Whether that’s good or bad is another matter of opinion.

Bottom line: the dailies are optional. If someone dislike the current dailies (my wife), they may find other activities, or they may quit. That’s normal, rational, and to be expected.

What ANet needs to consider: Is a game change increasing or decreasing player populations, which in turn affects revenue? If they revive WvW with this change in dailies, does it also reduce the overall population of people spending real money in the trading post?

I wonder whether PvE or WvW players spend more money. My experience suggests that PvEers (those who hate WvW) spend more, but I could be wrong.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Hmmm… weird thought:

What if ANet put a “dailies expander” in the trading post for, say, 400 gems? For every expander you buy, you get 1 or 2 extra choices of daily per category?

Just spitballin’ here…

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

It’s OK everybody, I bravely took the plunge and risked everything by not doing my dailies yesterday, and it turns out I’m still breathing. No thanks necessary. Keep trucking out there.

Funny thing, I recognized the same. Upon realizing that, I concluded that I could even risk to not play GW2 at all for a few days – worked out well so far.

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

Gaile has a history of partisanship and sarcasm. I find her attitude refreshing; she actually has a personality and opinions. She’s not a whitewashed corporate minion. I like her.

The danger is, she’ll anger brittle players. Whether that’s good or bad is another matter of opinion.

Bottom line: the dailies are optional. If someone dislike the current dailies (my wife), they may find other activities, or they may quit. That’s normal, rational, and to be expected.

What ANet needs to consider: Is a game change increasing or decreasing player populations, which in turn affects revenue? If they revive WvW with this change in dailies, does it also reduce the overall population of people spending real money in the trading post?

I wonder whether PvE or WvW players spend more money. My experience suggests that PvEers (those who hate WvW) spend more, but I could be wrong.

I would actually bet that WvWers spend more. You’ll see a lot of WvWers with expensive looking gear, but often times (especially for commanders) they actually lose money buying all the siege they use. One commander I know told me he buys 1000 gems every couple of weeks to replenish his siege.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

It kind of looks like she was just posting in the same lighthearted vein as the OP to me.

Yes, Ashen, you’re right. I view this thread as a lighthearted thread, not intended to “bash” anyone. Some do the new dailies. Some don’t. Some don’t like them. Some do. It’s all good. We have a thread for serious discussion of the topic, but this one is pretty darn funny. One of my faves so far: “I skipped breakfast.”

Neural — this really isn’t toxic. It’s sarcy and it’s saucy, but toxic it is not.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Coming from the other end of the spectrum, I completed all of my PvE and WvW dailies yesterday, and am reporting no ill side effects except a cramp for having to carry all this extra loot for having done all that.

Will report further if any more conditions arise.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Reads first part: Hold on a minute! Humph!!!
Reads second part: Oh, ok, then. ~beams~

I enjoy a good joke and am quite often a fan of a wink and a nudge. I’m light-handed as far as closing threads or flagging for moderator review — we want conversation, we seek input, we thrive on player participation. And in turn, we should be tolerant and understanding except in cases of… well, you know the drill on what’s unacceptable here.

As far as being partisan, I have opinions, but you will seldom know them here and the devs will virtually never see them internally. My reports to the devs are as balanced and objective as I can make them. (For instance, no one internally has a clue how I feel about the new dailies.) The feedback I give the team on any particular subject (and they kindly do ask for feedback) is always “Some feel [this] and others feel [that] and a few feel [this other way] too.” I gather statistics and quotes to give a solid cross-section in very detailed reports that seldom reflect my opinion at all. Just wanted to get that on record.

And hey, thanks for the nice words and the vote of confidence.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Deggial Demonaz.4016

Deggial Demonaz.4016

I forgot to do my dailies the other day, I feel life will never be the same again.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

We have a thread for serious discussion of the topic, but this one is pretty darn funny. One of my faves so far: “I skipped breakfast.”

So not only did I get away with semi trolling sarcasm but I actually get praised for it too, this truly was a good Christmas

(edited by Vavume.8065)

Ardenwolfe.8590

Yes, Ashen, you’re right. I view this thread as a lighthearted thread, not intended to “bash” anyone. Some do the new dailies. Some don’t. Some don’t like them. Some do. It’s all good. We have a thread for serious discussion of the topic, but this one is pretty darn funny. One of my faves so far: “I skipped breakfast.”

Neural — this really isn’t toxic. It’s sarcy and it’s saucy, but toxic it is not.

I don’t like your attitude. Reported!

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I skipped my dailies, went out to the driveway, cleaned it of leaves, and ended up leveling up, blowing away my car.

Anet owes me a new car.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I play this game for more then a year already and i never bothered doing dailies anyway,rewords for it are just not worth it.I really dont know why all of this drama about this.

Ashen.2907

I skipped my dailies, went out to the driveway, cleaned it of leaves, and ended up leveling up, blowing away my car.

Anet owes me a new car.

I hear that automobiles have a chance to drop ascended weapon boxes.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Anet owes me a new car.

I hear that automobiles have a chance to drop ascended weapon boxes.

So that explains Detroit’s problems…

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

This thread is mocking players that do not like the new daily system, inviting toxic chat, and is counter productive to the existing “The New Dailies — Feedback welcome” thread.

I’d like to request a moment of silence for those who skipped the daily…but did not make it.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Guys, dailies are SERIOUS BUSINESS why are you all making jokes?!??!?!?!?!

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

This thread is mocking players that do not like the new daily system, inviting toxic chat, and is counter productive to the existing “The New Dailies — Feedback welcome” thread.

There are times when using humor to point out the ridiculousness of an argument is useful and is less confrontational than spouting rhetoric. Now that said lets look at what dailies provided in the past compared to today.

Dailies use to provide 1-12 achievement points and a laurel if you did 5 or more (and loose change, not that I noticed). Now that laurels are provided via the new login reward we can ignore that part of the reward and look at just the APs

Before the dailies were structured along the lines of 2 WvW, 2 PvP and 8 primarily PvE activities. I say primarily PvE because in WvW you can gather, salvage, kill critters, remove conditions, do conditional damage, etc. The were normally generic or overly broad if an area is specified.

Now we have to do only 3 of 12 somewhat specific activities, split into groups of 4 activities in PvE, PvP and WvW to be awarded 10 APs.

The fundamental problem is in the old system, one could almost ignore what activities were available that day and simply do whatever you would normally would do and for the most part get at least 5 of the activities within 30-60 minutes of actual play. However for PvPers it was a problem because they couldn’t simply live in the PvP area, they had to play PvE if they wanted the daily reward.

The problem with the new system is primarily a question of awareness. Like I said with the previous daily, you didn’t even need to pay attention to the specific dailies as long as you roamed and played in the PvE or WvW areas. Now you do. If you normally don’t play in a certain map, there would be no way to accidentally complete foraging in that area. Or routinely do a specific boss event. Or remember where the frequently spawned events are on a map you rarely visit.

And that’s the point those who are upset are making when they are saying a lack of choice. Before they didn’t have to choose or alter their normal daily play to get the daily. Now by restricting to very specific activities, it’s not that ANet removed choice as much as restrict unconditional play IF you want to get a flat 10 AP from dailies. If you only get two done, sorry Charlie, you get bubkis. So instead of 1 to 12 AP we get 0 or 10 AP.

And the attempt to provide balance to PvP players is problematic if they don’t have the specific profession on their bench of characters.

All of this goes back to AP and it’s use. Achievements I can understand. But until they introduced chests as rewards, AP was just an abstract number, one you could pad with dailies and monthlies.

So now dailies are solely for AP, a number that only contributes to an award chest and an ego validator. You now get 10 AP if completed 3 of 12 specific activites where before you got 1 to 12 AP for playing how you normally played.

So yes, it’s more “work” to do specific activities to get 10 AP. The specific activities removed “choice” of playing however you want if you want the AP. Now if you were doing them to get at least 5 for a laurel, that has been removed from the equation. It’s all about AP now and if we want 10 AP, we now have to work for it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

I wonder what happens when you report a mod… Does it get absorbed or fired back.

Someone needs to write it down so we can claim that it was done for science.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

But that was always true if you wanted 10 points. If I wanted 10 points from the old dailies, I could not play where I wanted either.

Now I can not play where I want for 15 minutes instead of an hour and a half. More freedom for people who care about achievement points. And more freedom for people who don’t really care about them.

Right now, you could do a daily every other day, and still get as many achievement points as doing the full daily for 2 days.

That would mean some players will have less freedom, but many will have more.

I don’t know which players there are more of though.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I wonder what happens when you report a mod… Does it get absorbed or fired back.

Someone needs to write it down so we can claim that it was done for science.

She’s a Guardian of the forum as well as an ANet employee. She’s been granted a super moderator power, Wall of Reflection. Anything said bounces off that and hits the reporter.

Vayne.8563

Sarcasm doesn’t have to be toxic, and anyone who interprets Gaile’s statement as more than banter probably needs to spend less time on game forums.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I dunno I didn’t finish my dailies and when I logged back in I was dead…

On a more serious note I wouldn’t recommend skipping them, they give out much better rewards now than before. A few months of skipping dailies and you may find yourself significantly poorer than everyone else and unable to compete in the market.

For example, logging in and completing my daily earned me 2g today in 12 minutes. 6 months of that and I could buy most precursors.

Djinn.9245

When an entire forum thread is aimed at making fun of a group of concerned players, I view that as toxic. When the forum manager supports making fun of that same group of concerned players, I find that deplorable.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

When an entire forum thread is aimed at making fun of a group of concerned players, I view that as toxic. When the forum manager supports making fun of that same group of concerned players, I find that deplorable.

I find voicing complaints endlessly on a forum to be toxic, and trying to draw negativity towards the game from people who may not care or are happy otherwise.

Should the forum manager start deleting the complaints too?

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Deplorable? REALLY? You need to relax a bit. At least we’re not all calling each other idiots for once.

Try this: come up with your own lighthearted humorous way to make your point. Maybe it’ll catch on.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

I’ve been on vacation and haven’t logged in to do dailies at all… Does my account get deleted? Do achievement points reset?

…am I gonna die?

Vayne.8563

When people on a forum can dish it out and can’t take it, I say it’s time for a break from the forums.

I take more heat than anyone else on these forums. This was relatively light hearted, but the truth is, dailies isn’t the game, dailies was never the game and the achievement points people lose each day…isn’t the game.

I don’t see why people can’t take a light hearted look at something that’s relatively minor.

I don’t see why people have to be so sensitive. I don’t think most people care enough to make this a red button issue. I think as many people who do care like it, rather than hate it. And the thin skin I’m seeing here doesn’t further your cause.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Reported for too much common sense! Don’t you know every topic must turn into a wasteland of, “What about me?! It isn’t fair!”

There shall be no amusement on this forum. Ever. Gaile should be written up for daring to thank someone for their nice words!

Completely scandalous.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I commend you. I have to confess it’s taken me longer than 30 minutes to do mine, some days. But then, I have this tendency to stop and smell the flowers,

I usually harvest those flowers… And then mine some ore and then finally cut down entire forests to melt all that ore into usuable ingots (those flowers can be used to light the fire, multi-purpose!)

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

Yeah! F the powleece!

Posted by: Tumavotinh.6325

Tumavotinh.6325

New daily system is a joke. Where is my freedom and choices to do whatever I want. People don’t want to explore wvw PvP etc…for a reason. If I want to stay in Kryta and kill 10000000000000000000000000000000000000 bandits for dailies all day every day then I should be able to.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

This thread is so much win.

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

10 easy ap in 5 mins!!!! compared to before…… hehehe.. I am happy as!
thank you!

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

But that was always true if you wanted 10 points. If I wanted 10 points from the old dailies, I could not play where I wanted either.

Yepp .. as a PvE only player you normally got your 5-6 AP per day without doing
tasks that also would have let you things you normally didn’t do.

So in the end its now not even a problem when you don’t complete a daily every 2-3 days. Just do it the days when you can do them quick, and skip it whenever it is
simply to annoying.

All those AP-hunters that did 12 before at least cannot tell me that they got them
just for “normal” play. And whoever did WvW before should also have no problem
with getting 3 tasks now.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

Before the patch I tried to do ten or more dailies per day for the cheevos. Now I do three or more dailies per day. It’s a lot faster, I get the same or more cheevos, and I get some extra loot! What’s not to like?

But my freezer quit working over the weekend.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

I didn’t do my dailies for three straight days. I suspect I’ve died, gone to a bad place and been reincarnated as a bowl of bland chili forgotten on a roadside diner somewhere between Tucson and Albuquerque.

Either that or I had way too much rum this weekend and -ate- a bowl of bland chili somewhere between Tucson and Albuquerque.

I can never remember these things.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Djinn.9245

When people on a forum can dish it out and can’t take it, I say it’s time for a break from the forums.

I don’t understand your comment: you are justifying making fun of one side of the discussion by saying that they “dished it out”? There might have been individuals who are against the changes who have made questionable statements, but there certainly hasn’t been an entire thread dedicated to making fun of those supporting the changes. Nevermind that thread being advocated by the Forum Moderator.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

I haven’t done my dailies for the last 4 days. Might have had something to do with Christmas….and spending time with family and friends…….I don’t know.

But I did sign in each day to get my laurel……….I feel so cheap.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I haven’t done my dailies for the last 4 days. Might have had something to do with Christmas….and spending time with family and friends…….I don’t know.

But I did sign in each day to get my laurel……….I feel so cheap.

I love that daily login change! My second account gets some daily love now too