Here is my entry:
Wooden Dagger Skin:
Quantity: 280
Total Purchase amount: 5g24s28c
Sell Price: 140g
ROI: 2570,39%

Attachments:

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Skye's Trading Post Challenge - IRL Fellblade

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Firstly, I love this contest. The challenge here isn’t making back the most money, like some people seem to be going for. The challenge is in making the greatest ROI, which is what decides the winner. This also makes it more cost effective to invest the minimum amount into your guess (ie. 5g) as opposed to doing 7.5g and trying to get bigger gold back. Less risk that way.

I was going to go Rune of the Adventurer, but someone already got that one. I think it has good potential to be really strong after the patch, but all of the runes are a gamble and half are linked to crafting recipes. In lieu of that, I went with the following:

Princess Wand Skin
Quantity: 100
Total Purchase Amount: 5g 43s 0c
Sell Price: 49g 99s 0c
ROI: 820.626%

Attachments:

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Greyhawks Destroyer.1932

Greyhawks Destroyer.1932

I picked Silk
409 silk purchased for 6.60g (1.59-1.63s ea)
409 silk up for sale for 1.99s ea

RoI : 23.15%

Attachments:

Posted by: Skye Marin.3250

Skye Marin.3250

Entries are now officially closed! Thanks and good luck to all who have entered!

(edited by Skye Marin.3250)

Posted by: Homitu.7216

Homitu.7216

Edited my post to add screenshots showing all my items sold for an ROI of 69.88%.

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

My investment was a failed venture no thanks to some very underwhelming changes, oh well, better luck me next-time!

Posted by: Greyhawks Destroyer.1932

Greyhawks Destroyer.1932

gz on 69% RoI, i got my 23%

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

kitten it ANet. Quit giving away my stuff for free.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I lost too. None of my investment sold. I knew it was a lost cause. I will have to take it all back and sell to a buyer or buyers. It was worth trying to get the sword though but i made a grave mistake thinking what I bought would sell.

Whoever wins, congrats to you!

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: fictitiousacct.1782

fictitiousacct.1782

Wow, looks like i could have sold them for 4s each. O_o;

[(Listed selling price)(Qty sold) – (Total Purchase Price)] / (Total Purchase Price) x 100%
[(2.75s)
(305) – (5g20c)] / (5g20c) x 100% = 67.7%

But it could have been 143.9% if I sold it at 4s each.

Attachments:

Homitu.7216

Wow, looks like i could have sold them for 4s each. O_o;

[(Listed selling price)(Qty sold) – (Total Purchase Price)] / (Total Purchase Price) x 100%
[(2.75s)
(305) – (5g20c)] / (5g20c) x 100% = 67.7%

But it could have been 143.9% if I sold it at 4s each.

haha, you were my benchmark for what I wanted my ROI to get over. That’s why I sold my item with an ROI of 69.88% if it went through.

I looked through every entry on here and broke them down into 3 categories: those I thought were reasonable, those I thought were far fetched but possible, if unlikely, and those I thought were just crazy. Wanting to play it safe, I only wanted to come up with an ROI for my item that surpassed all the “reasonable” entries, as I saw them.

I’m really crossing my fingers right now that none of the more adventurous rune/sigil investments come through!

Homitu.7216

It looks like this contest has been one big gold sink for Anet so far lol. Almost none of our investments paid off, and we all had to pay the 15% transaction fee.

Even mine was pure luck it seems, as it turned out to be a poor investment so far, even if my sell listings sold for a modest ROI of 69.88%, because the price has since dipped back down to where it was before the patch. I think the only people who bought my relistings must have been other investors who gobbled them up before the patch. Since the patch, people have just been relisting them at a rate much higher than the demand.

And after the quick success of my Toy Sword Skins, I invested in 4,000 Bell Focus Skins. That’s looking like a full 40g down the drain :/

Homitu.7216

Dude, the anticipation is killing me! I literally check back to this thread like 4 times a day hoping to hear something!

I was super pumped, but now I find myself hoping my listing checks out as sufficiently “not sketchy.” I know that because I bought 2 stacks of 250, I ended up buying an extra 129 skins on top of the 371 I needed to break 5g, which could have thinned the market a little, allowing my relistings to sell more quickly; but those 129 ultimately proved insignificant because at least 200 of the giant stack of 4.1k skins that were listed after mine at 2.30s were also bought up.

That said, I know that if I had counted my entire accidental set of 500 skins as part of this contest instead of just the first 371, the average cost of each skin would have gone up a little, which would have lowered my ROI a little, assuming they all sold at the same price. I can’t know by how much because I just never relisted those 129 skins, but it would probably fall pretty darn close to ficitiousacct’s 67.7

But factor in the fact that ficitious’s investment ultimately did prove to be superior, even if he played it a bit safe with his sell listing, and I suppose he would deserve to win too.

Also, major kudos to some of the other investors for decidedly not cheating when it would have been (apparently) super easy to. It looked Inril could have bought up just a measly 50g worth of ornate watchwork boxes, for example, and given himself the win. It would essentially amount to spending 50g to buy a freaking awesome real life sword.

There were a couple other cases where it looked like this was possible without spending an exorbitant amount of money (less than 100g), but honor has prevailed! Again, mad props!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Entries are now officially closed! Thanks and good luck to all who have entered!

So who won?

The Burninator

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

UPDATE: The Contest is now over! Congratulations to Homitu.7216!

http://heroicreplicas.com/ (just read in in the news section)

Congratulations to you, buddy!

JustTrogdor.7892

UPDATE: The Contest is now over! Congratulations to Homitu.7216!

http://heroicreplicas.com/ (just read in in the news section)

Congratulations to you, buddy!

I’m guessing you are also Skye Marin.3250? So how did Homitu like his sword?

The Burninator

GuzziHero.2467

No I am not, I read it on heroic replicas website in the news section.

Sorry, bad phrasing! It should be read as in ‘has been read’ instead of ‘go read’ English is an odd language!

Skye posted the winner on April 9th… would have thought Homitu would have posted by now if he had received it.

JustTrogdor.7892

Skye posted the winner on April 9th… would have thought Homitu would have posted by now if he had received it.

That’s odd since Skye closed the contest on the 14th of April.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Skye-s-Trading-Post-Challenge-IRL-Fellblade/page/2#post3896443

I would have thought he announced the winner here.

The Burninator

GuzziHero.2467

Ahh, I see. Competition was posted on the website on the 9th. The update must not be datestamped. Putting the update at the top sort of threw me off.

JustTrogdor.7892

Well I’m only interested to see the results because a lot of community members spent gold to compete. I thought there would have been an announcement here as to the winner by now from the person that hosted the contest. As well, I thought the winner would have posted as well once they received the sword.

The Burninator

GuzziHero.2467

Yes I quite agree. I am surprised that neither Skye nor Homitu have posted.

Posted by: Skye Marin.3250

Skye Marin.3250

Congrats to Homitu! :P