Slowly.... slipping toward the holy trinity

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eye floater.7140

eye floater.7140

Anet started the game hoping they could erase the need (and want) for the holy trinity, but I think they’re realizing that it doesn’t really work.
Considering the lack of sustained and overall effectiveness of healing/toughness/healingpower in the game, in PVE combat no one uses anything but zerk gear. Why would they? As another player mentioned in another thread, slower enemy death = more opportunity for said mob or boss to 1-shot you. When you’re playing in that scenario where any boss ability can 1—2 shot you no matter your gear, why would you run anything but zerk? Vit, toughness, and healing power are so under-powered and ineffective that no one will bother with them in PVE. I’m assuming Anet did this so no roles would develop, i.e healer or tank. Dungeons have been relatively the same since launch: Everyone runs zerg gear, skipping the mobs you don’t need to kill, dodging the massive attacks from bosses, and finishing the dungeon with no need for defense of any sort. Honestly, the only defensive ability you actually need is dodge.
Anet has started to realize that there’s not enough build diversity, so they nerfed crit damage a bit and are starting to buff survival and healing skills for almost every class(including the extra healing skill given to everyone some time ago). I just don’t see this whole lack of the trinity idea ever really working that well. The game has players, sure, but I bet there would be quite a bit more if this current system wasn’t in place. I feel like eventually, it’s gonna just come down to that.
Maybe originally they just wanted to scrap it to be new and different, and probably try and bring in more casual players with the lack of hardcore content as well.
Honestly, I think a LOT of players would be happy if the trinity got reinstated somehow, or slowly implemented. I do think though, that WVW and PVP would not benefit from that change. I think they’re fine how they are. Anyway, the trinity only really works for PVE. I doubt Anet will ever admit their shortcomings though, I don’t think I’ve seen any developer ever admit they were wrong with something major like that.

EDIT: I know lots of people would hate it if the trinity slowly gripped the game. I know lots would love it as well, but I just think Anet needs to do SOMETHING in order to fix certain gameplay aspects. Personally, I would love the trinity to happen, but would it be good for the game and the majority of the players? That, I don’t know. I hope it would be.

(edited by eye floater.7140)

Posted by: Agnima.3714

Agnima.3714

From a design pov the lack of build diversity would be a pretty big long term problem. Things needed/need to change class wise and gear wise to jump start people into thinking of other options. Berserker will still have its place for direct damage king but now it will be easier to bring other builds up.

Granted more changes then just a crit nerf are needed, but they won’t have to be quite as drastic at least now. Its win/win really once people realize they can play more then one way. Diversity will never be a bad thing in an MMO, the lack of it will kill it tho since people will get bored pretty quickly and content updates won’t keep them around for long if they don’t love the way they play.

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

I Don’t want to see the trinity come into gw2, and frankly I think that would be more destructive than anything else they could do. What they could do: strip all stats from pve gear, make the whole game like spvp (or gw1, cause it worked and was basically the same).

Your rune gives you a little, sure…but that’s what you got. Everything else now is 100% skill based, because everyone will now also be put onto a fairly level playfield. That’s why spvp’s system, and GW1’s system that spvp closely resembles never had to have hardcore balance changes…. gw1 skill diversity was where anet struggled to balance, but in gw2 they swapped it. Their armor/weapon stat and traits systems are needlessly complex, and their skill system is needlessly oversimplified.

And frankly, I think it was easier to get over losing your favorite roflpwn build to a nerf (happened to me quite a few times) than it is to keep on having to worry about my freaking expensive armors… That’s proven to be their biggest mistake on this front imo.

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

And what makes losing the armor worse, they have to realize that every time they do this they are pushing the sale of their transmutation crystals… which I frown upon heavily.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

How about no.
And how about if you want this game to have a trinity maybe consider that it isn’t the game for you?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

Definitely agree with OP. Anet said they wanted to get rid of holy trinity, so did they.
But what do we see now ? Zerker nerfed bad, buffs to healing (ele) more reliable as healers (especially with those new on hit sigils) and guardian becoming more tanky with 3000 more HP.
So, less damage, more heal, more tank …. definitely seems like a step towards it indeed.
I’m not saying it will suddenly be the case, but it’s a step anyway.
Hope at least they announce some rework to kittenty unCCable bosses …

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Anet has started to realize that there’s not enough build diversity, so they nerfed crit damage a bit and are starting to buff survival and healing skills for almost every class(including the extra healing skill given to everyone some time ago). I just don’t see this whole lack of the trinity idea ever really working that well.

I personally think the issue isn’t with the actual lack of pre-defined roles, but the actual content itself not utilising the entirety of the system in place (outside of a few mechanics that need tweaking i.e. Defiant).

In the place of removing these strict roles, roles themselves could be built into the encounters, allowing for more diversity. Rather than looking at Contol, Support and Damage as actual roles, I think they should be looked at as aspects of combat, used to design encounters, and not as a rigid requirement for group composition.

For example, compare the roles you’d use in the Lover’s fight in AC to the Effigy in CoF (if the encounters worked as intended). In Lover’s, you’d need two groups and heavy CC to keep them away from each other, while in CoF, you’d need one person specifically to destroy the crystals.

Honestly, I think a LOT of players would be happy if the trinity got reinstated somehow, or slowly implemented.

I could also see a lot of players not being happy with the Trinity being implemented.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Moopy.7908

Moopy.7908

The lack of holy trinity in GW2 is one of the main reasons I still play this game. The very instant they would bring holy trinity back, I will quit the game.

Piken Square Commander
V I C E V E R S A

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I think one source of issues is not the numbers, but the lack of any kind of taunt or other reliable aggro manipulation.

A whole lot of the skills are built around SPVP capture points, to the point that they are sized specifically to cover such a point if they are AOE skills.

This because said points makes for a fixed location. And both attackers and defenders have to choose between staying and take damage, or abandoning the point and survive to fight another day.

But with bosses, and other mobs, unless we all stack in a single location the boss will ping pong around as aggro values shift. This in combo with the movement inherent in the dodge mechanic makes back row support virtually impossible, as the fight is constantly moving around the room.

Thus stacking is a way to take control over the fight that would normally be done by a tank or a controller. And the latter is made more difficult (or virtually impossible) in GW2 thanks to the ever present defiant mechanic.

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Definitely agree with OP. Anet said they wanted to get rid of holy trinity, so did they.
But what do we see now ? Zerker nerfed bad, buffs to healing (ele) more reliable as healers (especially with those new on hit sigils) and guardian becoming more tanky with 3000 more HP.
So, less damage, more heal, more tank …. definitely seems like a step towards it indeed.
I’m not saying it will suddenly be the case, but it’s a step anyway.
Hope at least they announce some rework to kittenty unCCable bosses …

So you are saying that nerfing zerker gear, buffing heals and health will introduce holy trinity?

Or will it introduce more build diversity??

Bunkers were already in game for a long time.
And besides that, no player will ever tank a telegraphed attack from a boss on his own. And no single player will focus on healing up that player (edit): ever.

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

Posted by: Brizna.5612

Brizna.5612

When you’re playing in that scenario where any boss ability can 1—2 shot you no matter your gear

I keep facepalming every time I hear this. I’ve experimented with lots of builds I can say that assumption is totally false.

Anet intended to let us play “the way we want” and they succeeded: stacking on vit, thoughness and healing power works. Of course stacking on power, precission, crit.damage works too and is also faster and more efficient than the former so it rules.

But it is not becuase you get “one shot” by bosses, bosses one shot zerkers, if you stack enough resilience and healing you don’t need to dodge a single time, just facetank bosses for minutes until they die of old age rather than damage. Meanwhile somewhere else in Tyria, the zerker group has completed the content and moved to the next speed clear.

digiowl.9620

Haven’t seen any evidence of face tanking beyond some glitched bosses, and the whole team spamming as much healing as they can while stacked.

Meaning that your individual heals, no matter how your build is set up, will not allow you to face tank anything beyond maybe a veteran in the starter zones.

Posted by: Copenhagen.7015

Copenhagen.7015

Trinity or not, nothing is viable in PvE except for damage. This was a huge issue for players that liked to play support/healing/tank roles in other games. There is almost no strategy involved at all. This is why I quit playing. I did not see the need to improve my personal skill when the game was so face roll. This balance needs to happen.

Posted by: Brizna.5612

Brizna.5612

Most people have been playing so long in zerker gear and builds that don’t know there are other posibilities, some setups allow to stack several regen-like effects in a team that when powered by healing power can add together well over 1K heal/second party wide. Add to that the healing skill, personal regen-like effects (healing signet…) and the inmunes, reflects that non zerkers can use too… and you don’t need to use a dodge in most bosses; of course that is if you drop your DPS in exchange of healing power, not so smart actually, but imposible NOPE.

Posted by: Schizo.1375

Schizo.1375

I would really like to know what these one hit bosses are no matter what gear you are wearing. I’m gonna call bs on that as hyperbole to bolster your poor argument.

TheDaiBish.9735

Trinity or not, nothing is viable in PvE except for damage. This was a huge issue for players that liked to play support/healing/tank roles in other games. There is almost no strategy involved at all. This is why I quit playing. I did not see the need to improve my personal skill when the game was so face roll. This balance needs to happen.

You’re confusing ‘viable’ with ‘optimal’.

If you got a group of like-minded people together, you could build your character to focus on support and control. Go to AC story mode, and take 2 control characters to actually do the mechanic of keeping them apart, for example.

However, since they said from the beginning there’d be no dedicated healer or tank, I don’t see how these would be issues for the players who like to play these roles.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

game should have never had gear/levels in the first place and should have been 100% cosmetic. should have had all stats linked to the traits.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

See the thing is, you can still have a game which is reliant on role diversity and giving individual classes a use without having something as simple as “the holy trinity”. In other words, more than three role types in a game can exist and should be viable. For example, Mesmers, Rangers and even Necros from GW1 weren’t just “dps” machines. Mesmers had interrupts and counters which were almost necessary in some boss fights and made killing much more efficient. Rangers with their traps and spirits that decreased the effectiveness of enemies and also allowed groups to ambush any passing groups of mobs. Necro builds would be dependent upon the dungeon itself, but there was always a ton of flexibility and CHOICE with this profession.

Furthermore, the way encounters were set up you can only really rely upon stacking conditions and pure damage output, with very little emphasis on protection and survivability. The few skills that offer ‘protects’ are very flimsy and hardly useful except as a minor distraction in PvE.

So it is a combination of bad encounter design and homogenization of Professions as a whole that made reliance on zerker builds and pure dps inevitable in GW2. That doesn’t mean Anet was wrong to avoid the Holy Trinity, but they should have maintained individual usefulness of professions and not just reduced it to a ‘flavor’ of how you drop damage.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Tank – inhibits the target(s). Applies weakness, cripple, and vuln, making sure the target(s) dont get to the other party members. No taunts or crap like that, but an inhibitor that can also take a hit if focused.

Dps – self explainitory.

Healer – self explainatory.

The buffer – applies the boons, increasing dmg, helping to prevent, etc.

Condition spammer – spams conditions to inhibit, dmg, destroy target(s)

Aoe’er -self explainitory

The cc’er – controls multiple targets at once.

And all hybrid forms.

There, thats what anet can focus on, not just the trinity

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

if they make CC more viable and improved mob AI at least as it was in beta.
it will introduce more build diversity.

digiowl.9620

Most people have been playing so long in zerker gear and builds that don’t know there are other posibilities, some setups allow to stack several regen-like effects in a team that when powered by healing power can add together well over 1K heal/second party wide. Add to that the healing skill, personal regen-like effects (healing signet…) and the inmunes, reflects that non zerkers can use too… and you don’t need to use a dodge in most bosses; of course that is if you drop your DPS in exchange of healing power, not so smart actually, but imposible NOPE.

HS is not a good example, as that thing is fundamentally broken. It has more HPS in passive than most of the healing skills you have to actively use.

And you got a link to this supposed heal build?

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Tank – inhibits the target(s). Applies weakness, cripple, and vuln, making sure the target(s) dont get to the other party members. No taunts or crap like that, but an inhibitor that can also take a hit if focused.

Dps – self explainitory.

And all hybrid forms.

There shouldn’t be defined roles at all.

ALL of those you mentioned should be able to pull off hybrids of one another (BUT not have one do everything i.e. warrior, Anet’s golden child; possibly the cause of all these problems).

Hybrids ARE diversity.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: SaltyDave.7346

SaltyDave.7346

Problem is, even if they create the holy trinity balance between classes, as long as the game doesn’t wants anything else from the playerbase but pure damage, there will be no need for the trinity. WvW is an exception.

Posted by: Silentsins.3726

Silentsins.3726

I’ll just leave this here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3y62pCQs-Y

Holy trinity will never happen for this game. What this game needs is a full realization of the original vision.

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

I would really like to know what these one hit bosses are no matter what gear you are wearing. I’m gonna call bs on that as hyperbole to bolster your poor argument.

Go stand in front of The Crusher with whatever gear you want, we’ll peel you off the floor later.

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

people keep forgetting about 1 major problem with this whole trinity story.

The whole pve game itself is not designed to handle the holly trinity.

just imagine that guardians could somehow hold agro on mobs, and imagine elementalists use the healing skills they already have to heal the party.

now place that guardian and that ele and 3 more dps classes in a dungeon scenario.

a tank would go full bunker build cause mobs/bosses hit like trains meaning tanks would only be welcomed as a full bunker meta build…there goes that build deversity.

ele would go full healing power and hope their boon duration /regeneration lasts long enough to hold the tank up all the way trough the battle.
Notice that ele healing skills have quite a cooldown….

and then theres also that 5 target aoe cap in a dungeon with 10+mobs that scatter all over the party…

The whole pve mob combat isnt set up to work in a holy trinity system.

If they really wanted to do that, they would have to make some serious changes to the pve mobs/dungeons…and then theres also wvw and spvp…

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

I’ll just leave this here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3y62pCQs-Y

Holy trinity will never happen for this game. What this game needs is a full realization of the original vision.

Oh my sides from laughing at that video
Any profession can fill any role by changing weapon sets in combat. Lolololol

Yuck talk about the Rez and people becoming friends in it.

Such a revolutionary system that we’ve gone from waiting for 1 undesired profession to waiting for guilders or friends to come on then to deal with pugs

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

digiowl.9620

Why is it that people insist that each trinity role has to be pegged to specific professions?

Me, i want to see any profession being able to fill any role of the trinity with the right gear and traits.

Right now that can’t happen in large part thanks to no aggro management.

Here is the silly bit, a elementalist in full bunker is squishier than a naked warrior. But thanks to toughness apparently being a large element of mob aggro, he will see more mob attention than said warrior.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

From another topic:

My new elementalist build will be able to pull out those numbers:

• geyser healing for about 5,500
  • water blast finishers healing for about 2,500
  • evasive arcana healing for about 4,300
  • regen healing for almost 500/s
  • soothing mist healing for about 240/s
  • water blast healing for about 800/s

That’s almost 2,500 health per second without any blast finishers.

Those numbers are insane and healers finally found their niche. All because of overwhelming feedback from the community.

blakdoxa.7520

From another topic:

My new elementalist build will be able to pull out those numbers:

• geyser healing for about 5,500
  • water blast finishers healing for about 2,500
  • evasive arcana healing for about 4,300
  • regen healing for almost 500/s
  • soothing mist healing for about 240/s
  • water blast healing for about 800/s

That’s almost 2,500 health per second without any blast finishers.

Those numbers are insane and healers finally found their niche. All because of overwhelming feedback from the community.

Great. So just how much did you invest into healing power? How much damage did you have to give up in order to just sit in water element for the duration of battles?

I can already tell X/X/X/10/30 from your build.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Dps – self explainitory.

And all hybrid forms.

ALL of those you mentioned should be able to pull off hybrids of one another (BUT not have one do everything i.e. warrior, Anet’s golden child; possibly the cause of all these problems).

Hybrids ARE diversity.

Ah yes, need to fix that 30/30/30/30/30 build bug

blakdoxa.7520

Dps – self explainitory.

And all hybrid forms.

Hybrids ARE diversity.

Ah yes, need to fix that 30/30/30/30/30 build bug

It’s not really getting fixed as apparently celestial is getting a “buff” (lol).

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Autumn.8043

Autumn.8043

I’m one of those people who enjoy the healer role, I always have and always will. I just don’t think It could work currently in the game, no matter how much you can heal because by investing in Healing, you aren’t doing damage which is what GW2 is all about at the moment.

Anet always said “Play how you want to play”, since launch I haven’t been able to and have been stuck In a damage role. I’ve gone past caring and just enjoy the game :P

(edited by Autumn.8043)

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

As somebody who actually likes the “holy trinity,” I don’t want it in gw2.

It’s refreshingly different. Not better or worse, just different, and I like variety.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

Anet started the game hoping they could erase the need (and want) for the holy trinity, but I think they’re realizing that it doesn’t really work.
Honestly, I think a LOT of players would be happy if the trinity got reinstated somehow, or slowly implemented. I do think though, that WVW and PVP would not benefit from that change. I think they’re fine how they are. Anyway, the trinity only really works for PVE. I doubt Anet will ever admit their shortcomings though, I don’t think I’ve seen any developer ever admit they were wrong with something major like that.

Oh My. I hope they never add the holy trinity to this game. The number 1 reason why I play this game is because there is no holy trinity. I can play with others and it doesn’t matter (mostly) what build/gear I bring to the party. I play how I want to play, not because some party member wants me to play their way.

Posted by: Fozee.1083

Fozee.1083

I think you’re always going to have the shadow of the holy trinity while there are limitations such as not being able to pick your own armor type. Guardian and Warrior are stuck in heavy armor, so in any event they’ll always be closer to a tank than not.

BioWare/Mythic Moderator, Terror Squid, and Funparty

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

The best thing in the wold that could happen to GW2 is if it did move a lil closer to the trinity.

The snore fest that is GW2’s current combat mechanics of pew pew as hard as you can and chain rez the downed is obviously getting old for many people from what I have seen in current server pops. The game is only based of DPS currently and that unfortunately leaves a very large % of possibly players out.

Like it or not the game is loosing people – they have to make changes to see what will keep players playing and what may bring players back.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The problem is that GW2 had the trinity but it was more of a make your own but mmorpg players have showed them self to lack imagination so there needs to be a bit of hand holding for them. Meh i guess Anet though to highly of there player base but still lots of room for imagination on builds and how one should fill the rolls they want its not as bad as the “you are a tank you are a support you are a dps and that it enjoy the game no thinking required.”

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

TheDaiBish.9735

The snore fest that is GW2’s current combat mechanics of pew pew as hard as you can and chain rez the downed is obviously getting old for many people from what I have seen in current server pops. The game is only based of DPS currently and that unfortunately leaves a very large % of possibly players out.

Totally disagree.

It isn’t so much a fault with the combat mechanics as the encounter mechanics not requiring the depth of the current combat system, or the encounter mechanics not being enforced so they can simply be brute-forced.

For example, The Lover’s in AC is the perfect example.

The main mechanic being you need to keep them away from each other, if this mechanic was enforced properly, you’d need control (both hard and soft) as well as damage, not to mention awareness of your team-mates.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Azreell.1568

The problem is that GW2 had the trinity but it was more of a make your own but mmorpg players have showed them self to lack imagination so there needs to be a bit of hand holding for them. Meh i guess Anet though to highly of there player base but still lots of room for imagination on builds and how one should fill the rolls they want its not as bad as the “you are a tank you are a support you are a dps and that it enjoy the game no thinking required.”

Well – Look at is another way.

In current GW2 with the setup of no trinity at all. How many options of specs do classes really have? 1 maybe 2 for pve? Atm its zerk meta or go home. Anything beyond that is a waste of time. We will use the last LS as an example. – Anet designs one big fat DPS check. In groups you yourself were in – would you have preferred most people in mix match soldiers and clerics with bear bow rangers everywhere and a few AH guards? No, Of course not because you wouldn’t have been able to kill them in the allotted time. As it stands Anet forces people into the role of max dps.

Add more aspects of the trinity and you open up far more possibilities of specs, mechanics and content which can be designed.

What GW2 has proven thus far is a DPS only doesn’t work.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Azreell.1568

Totally disagree.

It isn’t so much a fault with the combat mechanics as the encounter mechanics not requiring the depth of the current combat system, or the encounter mechanics not being enforced so they can simply be brute-forced.

The main mechanic being you need to keep them away from each other, if this mechanic was enforced properly, you’d need control (both hard and soft) as well as damage, not to mention awareness of your team-mates.

Players will always find the path of least resistance.

That is the developers fault for designing a one dimensional game.

People brute force because that is the rule set Anet keeps giving us. Once again look at the LS knights encounter for proof.

I applaud Anet for taking the chance and moving things a bit closer to a much more proven system.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

TheDaiBish.9735

Totally disagree.

People brute force because that is the rule set Anet keeps giving us. Once again look at the LS knights encounter for proof.

I applaud Anet for taking the chance and moving things a bit closer to a much more proven system.

Well, that particular fight has been in since the beginning. I remember first doing it at level 30, when we done it ‘as intended’, so to speak.

Besides, it was more an example of how the flaw isn’t with the combat system, but the encounter design not utilising the combat system.

As for moving towards a proven system, I’d rather not go back to the times where you’re locked into one role for all content. I’d much prefer if they built the roles into the encounters. Much more diversity that way.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Trinity was removed and wasn’t replaced.

Azreell.1568

Totally disagree.

Well, that particular fight has been in since the beginning. I remember first doing it at level 30, when we done it ‘as intended’, so to speak.

Besides, it was more an example of how the flaw isn’t with the combat system, but the encounter design not utilising the combat system.

As for moving towards a proven system, I’d rather not go back to the times where you’re locked into one role for all content. I’d much prefer if they built the roles into the encounters. Much more diversity that way.

How has the Living Story aka LS Knight encounter been in since the beginning? That was the most recent encounter introduced to GW2.

Also, We have yet to see any diversity in terms of roles in this game. In the end all GW2 did is trade one trinity for another.

I hate to break it to you but how Different in Tank, Healer, DPS vs the Zerk Meta trinity?

Here is a hint – it’s not.

This patch will not change the meta. It will make the zerk meta go from desired to required. When you do a global player dps nerf – people are used to killing things at a certain speed. Content will now take longer to kill. In saying that – Do you think people will not be more willing for off specs? No, They won’t – they will require zerk gear to try and make up for what they lost.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

(edited by Azreell.1568)

TheDaiBish.9735

How has the Living Story aka LS Knight encounter been in since the beginning? That was the most recent encounter introduced to GW2.

Also, We have yet to see any diversity in terms of roles in this game. In the end all GW2 did is trade one trinity for another.

I hate to break it to you but how Different in Tank, Healer, DPS vs the Zerk Meta trinity?

Here is a hint – it’s not.

This patch will not change the meta. It will make the zerk meta go from desired to required. When you do a global player dps nerf – people are used to killing things at a certain speed. Content will not take longer to kill. In saying that – Do you think people will not be more willing for off specs? No, They won’t the will not require zerk gear to try and make up for what they lost.

Where am I arguing against you? If anything, we agree with each other, if you read what I’m saying.

The Lover’s fight, if the mechanics were enforced, would require players to use the Control element of combat, and not simply DPS.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

If I had to pick between 3 roles and 1 role, I’d pick the first.
DPS/Support/Heal > DPS.
It doesn’t even matter whan class you play, It doesn’t matter what class mechanics you have, DPS is all that matters.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Well – Look at is another way.

In current GW2 with the setup of no trinity at all. How many options of specs do classes really have? 1 maybe 2 for pve? Atm its zerk meta or go home. Anything beyond that is a waste of time. We will use the last LS as an example. – Anet designs one big fat DPS check. In groups you yourself were in – would you have preferred most people in mix match soldiers and clerics with bear bow rangers everywhere and a few AH guards? No, Of course not because you wouldn’t have been able to kill them in the allotted time. As it stands Anet forces people into the role of max dps.

Add more aspects of the trinity and you open up far more possibilities of specs, mechanics and content which can be designed.

What GW2 has proven thus far is a DPS only doesn’t work.

There is a trinity in GW2 its just less defined then in most mmorpg that leaves room for ppl to build the way they want with out being put into one type of build but the players chose.

A class has any many builds as the player wants my ele alone has about 5 builds at its peek its dropped down to 3 but that because it was annoying my guild talking about builds all the time lol dam pear presser!

There no real enrages system in GW2 for most of the fights and the ones with enrages system like is more off of sub events during the fight and not all that about total dps. Zerk or go home is a pear presser thing Anet cant fix the ppl playing there game just make things seem weaker like they are doing now.

Well no one likes rangers even the ppl playing them do not like them hehe j/k there nothing that stop you from not building that way if other ppl do not want to play with you when your that build that there chose its not there chose to make you play something that you wish to not to that alone is your own.

You only proven that ppl are easy to give into presser from others and they blame others for “making” them do something that at the end of the day is a free chose.

If I had to pick between 3 roles and 1 role, I’d pick the first.
DPS/Support/Heal > DPS.
It doesn’t even matter whan class you play, It doesn’t matter what class mechanics you have, DPS is all that matters.

I would chose the debuff roll the roll that often gets lost in support dps and tank rolls i more like the 5 class system then just the simple 3 class system it opens up more chose for players to pick and chose what they want to do in a fight and GW2 is very close to that type of system.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

It can’t come fast enough. It can finally put some structure and create actual team play opportunities, instead of spammy zerfests.

I feel if GW2 actually shipped with trinity roles, we’d be looking at an entirely different picture right now as far as popularity.

eye floater.7140

How about no.
And how about if you want this game to have a trinity maybe consider that it isn’t the game for you?

I didn’t say I hated the game. I do like a lot of it, but coming from 4k hours of GW1, I’m pretty sure I can say I’m not alone with my dislike of major aspects of the game.
They hyped it up soooo much, and people got really excited. Many GW1 players just wanted GW1 with a new map, and the ability to jump. That’s all. It seems they targeted casuals more with GW2, and screwed a lot of their GW1 players. I like the game, but I think it had/has the potential to be SO much better. I guess that’s what this thread is supposed to be about.

eye floater.7140

There are lots, man. The giant skelk in AC (forgot the name), the asura boss in Arah, the first Human boss in AC. I’m sure I could list more, but I haven’t done a ton of dungeons recently. I don’t mind these mechanics, but when there’s really no way to lessen their effects, why lose the damage? You can dodge 90-some % of their attacks anyway.