So I tried the mystic forge for a dusk...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dr Aneurysm.7028

Dr Aneurysm.7028

I saved up 8000 dungeon tokens from 4 different dungeons, and 250g as well.

Spent all of it on exotic greatswords from the TP, and dungeon swords from trading in tokens (each greatsword was either 390 tokens or between 3-4g)

Not only did I not get a precursor, but I didn’t once get even a “semi” rare sword (one of the ones worth more than the standard 3-4g). I got mostly pearl and carrion greatswords with one or two skybringers and a dhummseal.

After going 18 daily rounds in FotM at lvls 10 and 20 in a row without so much as a ring, let alone a glob or vial of pink mist, and now this, it seems the entire “end game” is based off of the terrible RNG.

Anyway, just thought I’d put this out there in case anyone else was thinking of spending money and dungeon tokens on the mystic forge to try and obtain a precursor. I’m uninstalling the game myself, I just don’t really see the point in playing anymore. I’ve seen all the content, really was just trying to get further into the FotM and/or get my legendary (which I had all the components for with the exception of the precursor. It’s been fun guild wars, but the RNG just kills this for me.

Posted by: WarMacheen.7124

WarMacheen.7124

Please stop by the Gem Store to purchase more gold quickly, to buy more greatswords, to dump them into the Mystic Toilet, to receive garbage.

Also be prepared to respond to the people saying you should have just saved up the gold and bought a Dusk.

Maybe everyone in the game should save up for things on the TP instead of actully trying to aquire them, surely there are no downsides to that. -_-

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

why. do. you. waste. time. and. money. on. legendaries. ? Don’t bother with precursor BS and you’ll enjoy the game more. Legendary weapons aren’t epic like they were the first 2-3 weeks of the gw2’s launch, its just another overused skin made for you to stand in LA afk.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: nowitsawn.1276

nowitsawn.1276

its just another overused skin made for you to stand in LA afk.

So the rest is just AFK in LA, only without a legendary?

I shot the seraph~
But I didn’t shoot the thackeray

Posted by: Beast.9516

Beast.9516

Yeah the Mystic Forge is a total slot machine, that 10,000,000 dollar progressive jackpot is going to pay out, it’s just that you have to put in 100, 000,000 dollars to get it. Or something… I’ve been up all night I can’t make good analogies,..

Beast [Beastess Isdottir][Meilikki Isdottir][Kaunista Illusio][Savant Bixxie]
Aspiring Brotherhood [PACT]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

It would seem your initiation to the Mystic Toilet is complete.

Zommoros asks that you come back any time to throw away more hard-earned tokens/gold in return for a (literally) microscopic chance at ANY precursor.

Bring on the smug people who got one from spending next to nothing (or very little) in the RNG lottery, or even worse in the karka failu… err, event.

It’s been discussed ad nauseam in other places in these forums but a precursor is hard to get to the point of being ridiculous. And when you can buy them (and full Legendaries) off the TP, they aren’t so legendary anymore. Any TP gimp could get one.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

Yeah I don’t really care for legendaries myself…Too frustrating of a process and I don’t really like many of the skins all that much so far

Posted by: TsukasaHiiragi.9730

TsukasaHiiragi.9730

I think until ncsoft changes alot of these stupid RNG aspects, the game is going to continue to slide ever downwards until its got no playerbase left.

protest this travesty of a patch -
Get it taken down -
Do whatever it takes if you care about this game -

Posted by: gillius.2856

gillius.2856

can i have your stuff… its taking me ages….:)

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

I doubt he has anything left…

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

I feel for you.
I also took a gamble and forged 7 greats words for the mystic toilet and ended up with Skybringer. Although not near as disappointed as you are it still hurt like hell to see 28k go down the toilet. This RNG really blows.

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

I would never even attempt to get a Legendary, the entire process is just incredibly silly. Couple in the fact that the entire process is based on dumb luck and Grinding which will likely get you banned for ‘botting,’ and the whole thing is just one big joke. I’m happy with Exotics that I get from Dungeon Tokens. Not quite as flashy, but at least I have more time to actually enjoy playing the game. I admire the patience of those that have gone through the entire process though, you have far more time and patience then I ever will.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

I’m confused by the amount of threads exactly like this, people don’t learn to sell and just buy it straight out.

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

I’m confused by the amount of threads exactly like this, people don’t learn to sell and just buy it straight out.

Well if people were not willing to gamble with the forge there would be noting for you to straight out buy now would you?

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

dear …, i spend far less money then a precursor is worth on the trading post taking a gamble and i’m furious that i didn’t get one.

Regards,

The OP

(a lesson to be learned, the TP usually resembles the AVERAGE you spend on getting it in the forge, otherwise it wouldn’t be that high priced, now you can try your luck, of course, but you should be wiser and more patient, the only blame is on you(this doesn’t mean the trading post price is reasonable, but when you play with the forge, you should keep TP in mind when gambling))

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: Celestea.4105

Celestea.4105

You really shouldn’t have put exotics into the mystic forge aside from the ones you get from dungeon tokens.

I know how you feel though, I’ve spent the past 4 months putting my gold into the mystic forge, and only yesterday did I finally get my dusk from the mystic forge.

I don’t know why they made this aspect of the legendary so irritating, there is literally no sense of progression and feels like a waste of time.

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

I’m uninstalling the game myself, I just don’t really see the point in playing anymore.

If you had gotten your legendary there wouldn’t be any point in playing anymore either. I’m not sure what your gripe is other than your average luck.

Think about it, if you could dump 250g into the forge and expect a dusk, you’d rake in money hand over fist. Spend 250g, sell for 500g, spend 250g, sell for 500g, spend 250g, sell for 500g, etc. This should be obvious. So why do people have the expectation that they should get a legendary precursor for that kind of money? When you spend 1500g and don’t get one, then come back and complain.

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

I think until ncsoft changes alot of these stupid RNG aspects, the game is going to continue to slide ever downwards until its got no playerbase left.

Yea because a legendary is the only reason to play.

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

I saw a video on youtube about some guy doing this VERY same thing, and he got a bunch of crap out of Big Z. You could actually HEAR his heart break.

(edited by Aoshi.4785)

Posted by: Olfinbedwere.5049

Olfinbedwere.5049

I longingly await the Zommoros event where he breaks free of the mystic forge and we get to kick his kitten. He’d probably just drop porous bones tho.

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

Welcome to Grind Wars buddy.

Posted by: Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Its not even Grind Wars, Its Rng Wars.

I would also like to give Zommoros a serious wedgy, though I expect the developer behind the rng would be more deserving.

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

All this for a skin… sorry but ..

Posted by: Dr Aneurysm.7028

Dr Aneurysm.7028

Ok so I just thought I’d clarify some things since it seems some have misinterpreted some of what I said.

So in regards to the legendary precursor, I’m not really upset about not being able to make a legendary. I’m more disappointed in the fact that the odds are so absolutely atrocious in the mystic forge. It just highlights the issue with RNG.

What I guess I didn’t really make clear, was that I’m disappointed that the entire endgame relies on such a bad RNG.

Basically I see Guild Wars 2 as having 2 potential endgames for PVE (which is where I spend the most of my time). You could try to obtain your legendary (which isn’t really an endgame since it is a finite goal), and you can also try to progress through FotM, which is the only dungeon I find to be actually challenging (starting at about level 20).

Both of these things rely on RNG. My frustration mostly stems from my terrible luck with FotM, where I can’t progress for weeks because I’m not getting the account bound items only obtainable via RNG drop that I need to get my AR high enough to move on. I think my bad luck in the mystic forge was more of a “last straw”, and it just highlighted the issue. It really demonstrated how the RNG I loathed from FotM was far more ubiquitous than I had previously thought, and it pervades just about every aspect of the “end game”.

Also, for those saying I should just save up 600g and buy the precursor off the mystic forge, well I tried that. See, when the precursor was 300g I had about 50g. I’m in grad school, I can’t sit around all day playing the game, I get in a few hours though every night. So it took me a couple of weeks to get to that 300g. Then I go to the TP and what do I see? Dusk was now 600g. So I start saving again, and then I look a week later and it’s at 650g.

The price is rising faster than I can make money! I can’t seem to catch up to the AH value, so I finally caved and went for the mystic forge, which is SUPPOSED to have the best odds for obtaining one if you use exotic weapons in your forging (as opposed to random loot drop or chest drop).

Also I do realize I was sort of complaining without presenting a solution, which isn’t really productive. So here’s the solution I propose would make this game fun again:

In my opinion, there should be some sort of more concrete method of obtaining a legendary precursor. Be it a quest, or simply better odds using the mystic forge. I’d even settle for some massive number of tokens or something. Maybe 5000 fractal tokens. Basically, ANYTHING concrete. Even if it’s something hard. I think this method of gambling for everything is what’s so disheartening, where time put into the game does not necessarily correlate with how close you are to getting your precursor.

I also think that the FotM should have concrete rewards. For instance, maybe the first time you beat level 20 you could be awarded 1 glob of mist essence, so you know you can upgrade at least ONE of your ascended components to its infused state, allowing you to at least continue on. I’ve been stuck at level 20-24 for so long now simply because I seem to have bad luck, and I’ve had several rounds where people who only just started at level 20 had obtained MULTIPLE pink drops during that one run.

At least for me personally, changing these things would make the game exponentially more fun, and I’d feel much more like I was being rewarded for time put in rather than being rewarded for getting lucky on ANET’s slot machine.

LOCO.1785

Well ANet mentioned they are working on a precursor scavenger hunt.

What that entails? We don’t have the info yet.
When will it be implemented? That’s any ones guess too.

Posted by: Celestea.4105

Celestea.4105

I saw a video on youtube about some guy doing this VERY same thing, and he got a bunch of crap out of Big Z. You could actually HEAR his heart break.

Haha, that was me. I learned from that mistake and only used rares afterwards and set myself a limit of never going below 100g with my attempts.

I just got dusk from the Mystic Forge yesterday, after 4 months of putting swords in.

Exotics Attempts
Getting Dusk

I can completely understand how the OP feels, I was ready to quit after putting those exotics in.
It is much better to use rares as you’ll be able to make some money back, as well as getting a chance to grab a pre-cursor.

Hopefully we can see the scavenger event sometime down the line. I really don’t get why every aspect besides the precursor has a sense of progression.

(edited by Celestea.4105)

Posted by: Winfernal.9208

Winfernal.9208

Little room on your HDD?

“Kharomir” – Human Guardian
[DW] Dynasty Warriors, [TNA] The Northern Assembly
http://www.farshiverpeaks.com

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

Haha, that was me. I learned from that mistake and only used rares afterwards and set myself a limit of never going below 100g with my attempts.

I just got dusk from the Mystic Forge yesterday, after 4 months of putting swords in.

Exotics Attempts
Getting Dusk

I can completely understand how the OP feels, I was ready to quit after putting those exotics in.
It is much better to use rares as you’ll be able to make some money back, as well as getting a chance to grab a pre-cursor.

Hopefully we can see the scavenger event sometime down the line. I really don’t get why every aspect besides the precursor has a sense of progression.

Lol awesome, I was trying to find the link again.. I used it as a study tool in making my Twilight man. As soon as you hit the forge button I was like “I’ve got a bad feeling about this…” lol, good times.

Awesome vid though, everyone should watch this if you plan on tossing shinies into Big Z.

LOCO.1785

+1 for your Danger Mouse reference

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

So at least we know now that Percursers are not going to come from that avenue anymore..

So the whole game is about gathering currency to buy percursers “gold farmers” make? from the trading post…how far mmo’s have fallen, pretty sure this the last scam of an mmo i ever play.

At least in single player games you get the good stuff drop..mostly..

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

Spent all of it on exotic greatswords from the TP, and dungeon swords from trading in tokens (each greatsword was either 390 tokens or between 3-4g)

Not only did I not get a precursor, but I didn’t once get even a “semi” rare sword (one of the ones worth more than the standard 3-4g). I got mostly pearl and carrion greatswords with one or two skybringers and a dhummseal.

After going 18 daily rounds in FotM at lvls 10 and 20 in a row without so much as a ring, let alone a glob or vial of pink mist, and now this, it seems the entire “end game” is based off of the terrible RNG.

Anyway, just thought I’d put this out there in case anyone else was thinking of spending money and dungeon tokens on the mystic forge to try and obtain a precursor. I’m uninstalling the game myself, I just don’t really see the point in playing anymore. I’ve seen all the content, really was just trying to get further into the FotM and/or get my legendary (which I had all the components for with the exception of the precursor. It’s been fun guild wars, but the RNG just kills this for me.

LOL your so lucky! To have all that money! Why’d you just throw it out? Poor people like me need it! We would’ve made actual use of it and bought the pre!

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

So you gave up after only 20 attempts? I’m sorry but you really didn’t try that hard… why do you think Dusk costs 700+ gold… maybe because it costs about 700g in rare GS attempts on average to obtain.

If you had gone with rare GS’s instead it would have given you 267 attempts. The average seems to be closer to 500 attempts when using rares…

I’m not sure what to tell you except you haven’t even put in the average time and money yet, and not even close to having an unlucky streak yet.

LOCO.1785

So you gave up after only 20 attempts? I’m sorry but you really didn’t try that hard… why do you think Dusk costs 700+ gold… maybe because it costs about 700g in rare GS attempts on average to obtain.

If you had gone with rare GS’s instead it would have given you 267 attempts. The average seems to be closer to 500 attempts when using rares…

I’m not sure what to tell you except you haven’t even put in the average time and money yet, and not even close to having an unlucky streak yet.

Wow… That’s depressing.

And who enjoys this process again?

Posted by: skupuz.6940

skupuz.6940

Lets see here. I’m going to use the current price of 650g for the dusk.

You have 250g and all of the components to craft it.

100 Icy Rune Stone – 100g
250 Ecto – 100g
250 Onxy Lodestone – 187g
250 Powerful Blood – 71g
250 Powerful Venom -30g
250 Vicious Claw – 35g
250 Cystalline Dust -37g
250 Vicious Fang – 41g
250 Armored Scale – 31g
250 Ancient Bone – 13g
250 Elaborate Totem – 50g
Various other things you could sell – 50g

You have close to 1000g yet you decided to gamble all your cash on the MF. Instead, you could of sold some of your crafting material (ones that are easy to farm) to buy dusk. Crappy planning and luck on your part.

Bottom line is this; IT WAS WITHIN YOUR REACH – you just chose to gamble it…

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

As near as I can tell, the most basic way to acquire a legendary is to buy gems with real money, convert gems to gold, and then buy the legendary off the TP.

I think this is how we’re all really supposed to do it.

Posted by: Lenneth.1372

Lenneth.1372

It all luck. I tossed in a bunch of rares and got 2 dawns and a dusk withing 20 or so minutes.

This was before they were priced at 500g a piece, but it still got my 3 80s geared in what I wanted them to be wearing.

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

As near as I can tell, the most basic way to acquire a legendary is to buy gems with real money, convert gems to gold, and then buy the legendary off the TP.

I think this is how we’re all really supposed to do it.

if you want to buy dusk for 541 dollars then you just go right on ahead and do it… lol

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

Got Dawn after throwing ~300 rare crafted greatswords in the MF. That’s about 90 tries.

Since then, I’ve sold it for 574g and tried again with ~500 other GS, but no luck anymore. It represents about 150 more tries.

I got a bunch of “named” exotics in the process :
- 4x Ebon blade
- 2x Breath of Flame
- 2x Khrysaor (a pain, cos the icon is the same as Dawn)
- 2x Naga Fang

And you get an exotic from 4 rare GS ~ 1 time out of 6.

Posted by: Dyroth.5063

Dyroth.5063

Had two different guild mates have zap drop in WvW last night. All luck and it can come from anywhere. Keep trying or hold out for something else I guess.

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

The lead designer’s name is Isaiah Cartwright.

I would assume that he brainstormed, designed and/or signed off on the game’s random number generation components.

My own GW2 experience, and what I read on the forums (about these kinds of issues) leaves me feeling very very angry.

I think its high-time the person responsible for bringing about these feelings in the game’s customer base offered an explanation for (what I believe) to be an idiotic reward system.

Sincerely,
A disgruntled Guild Wars 2 player.

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

I just want to add that I find it insultive as a player to see non-experienced players land precursors from first try at the MF, and me being unable to do so after months of trying. Just so you could imagine my frustration on this, I started GW2 since headstart, after a week of casual gameplay I was level 80, 2 weeks later I was fully exotic, armor, jewels, weapons, even underwater ones. Ever since my goal was obtaining a precursor, guess what, 6 months later, I’m still gambling it. Ended up buying it from a guy with 5-6 precursors -.-
How in the hell is that fair :|
6 months = 0 progress
3 months = 6 precursors

I do find it insultive.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Legendaries are only cool if they are difficult to get.

stop complaining.

you don’t NEED one.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

So gambling is difficult? I beg to differ.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

only person i know to get a precursor got it from a drop way back when.. you can gamble away all your money to get your legendary faster or you can just wait for the RNG to give you one.
i do beleive they are legendary because they are hard to get.

Posted by: SpiderPIG.4150

SpiderPIG.4150

What really gets on my teeth is that my friend has been throwing dungeon exotics into the forge too. Just a few weeks ago he got ‘the legend’. Today he got Zap. Now he must not have tried the mystic toilet more than 7 or 8 times at MOST! and gets rewarded with 1k worth or precursors!!

WHAT ANET! WHATT!!!!!

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

only person i know to get a precursor got it from a drop way back when.. you can gamble away all your money to get your legendary faster or you can just wait for the RNG to give you one.
i do beleive they are legendary because they are hard to get.

waiting on a randomized gating system like RNG, particularly one that is as bat poop crazy as the one players are suffering with at this moment

Is anything but DIFFICULT, it’s just completely garbage in it’s design. The only hard part of it is the willpower required to put up with the monotony and terrible design…

Working as intended?

Stop throwing circular peg answers at the square hole questions, they don’t fit and it just serves to create silly friction between camps.

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

So it took you a couple of weeks to save up 300g. using all the tokens it would’ve taken you a couple more weeks to buy dusk.

It wouldn’t rise any further than 650g, learn the market a little even if you don’t flip in it.
The only reason dusk went as high as 650~700+ was because legendaries were allowed to be sold on TP.
The price remained a static 500g before that.

Such a shame, well too bad I guess.

1+1 = potato

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

So it took you a couple of weeks to save up 300g. using all the tokens it would’ve taken you a couple more weeks to buy dusk.

It wouldn’t rise any further than 650g, learn the market a little even if you don’t flip in it.
The only reason dusk went as high as 650~700+ was because legendaries were allowed to be sold on TP.

just “buy” dusk?

And if everyone takes said stance, what happens to the supply of dusks on the TP in terms of pricing through demand and dwindling supply…

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

just “buy” dusk?

And if everyone takes said stance, what happens to the supply of dusks on the TP in terms of pricing through demand and dwindling supply…

But no one does.

The weapon is expensive for what it is, and if we had a scavenger hunt it will be just as bad through the other req. mats, which will completely screw anyone else who doesn’t want to have anything to do with legendaries.
This situation is actually much better, to make sure there’s enough supply of high end materials at a reasonable price for everyone.
If you and I and another 10,000 people could get dusk in a month through a quest of some sort, as long as it may be but at a 100% rate, how many lodestones do you think there would be on the market?
or how much would any T6 mat gonna cost then?

Be careful what you wish for.

1+1 = potato