So... about PAX South...

So... about PAX South...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Hello, Forum Members!

I’ve just been given some… dare I say “exciting” news?

We have a handful — just a few — Saturday passes for PAX South in San Antonio, Texas, on January 24th. The passes include preferred (I call it VIFF = Very Important Forum Fan) seating for the presentation being given by Mike O’Brien and Colin Johanson.

Doors open at 10:00 AM for the 10:30 AM presentation. You can get a few details here.

We’d like to invite a few of you to attend as our guest. If you’re interested in attending the presentation (and PAX South) on Saturday, January 24th, and are in or can be in the San Antonio, Texas area, please send me a PM by Monday, January 19. I should be able to get back to you on Tuesday to let you know if we’re able to add you to the (limited) guest list. (It goes without saying that we can only add people who will be able to attend, so please be sure of your availability.)

I won’t be at the event, but I know a lot of ArenaNet reps are looking forward to seeing you there. I hope from some of our fantastic forum members to get their names on the guest list!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

cool sauce 15char

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

Wish I could go, but can’t. I hope good news comes out of the event.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: CrimeDog.5614

CrimeDog.5614

I want a pass please! I only live 2 hours from San Antonio and I’m off work on Saturday and would totally make the drive to be there. Never been to anything like that before, comic con or any gaming convention and I think it’d be killer to attend. How do I PM Gale to have a chance to go?

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

I also wish I could go but meh. I’m far far away from there

So... about PAX South...

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I want a pass please! I only live 2 hours from San Antonio and I’m off work on Saturday and would totally make the drive to be there. Never been to anything like that before, comic con or any gaming convention and I think it’d be killer to attend. How do I PM Gale to have a chance to go?

Sounds great, and I’d love you to be able to come! We’ll be randomly choosing from those who PM me. To do that: Click my name, then choose “Send a private message” (it’s the second option down on the list) (sort of in the left-hand side of the screen) and tell me you’d like to attend. I’ll be collecting a name and address because we need to put in official info for the guest list (and then when the guests sign in at the will-call table the PAX folks will check ID to make sure the ticket’s going to the proper person).

Hope you can go!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

So... about PAX South...

CrimeDog.5614

Sounds great, and I’d love you to be able to come! We’ll be randomly choosing from who who PM me. To do that: Click my name, then choose “Send a private message” on the left (sort of middle of the screen) and tell me you’d like to attend. I’ll be collecting a name and address because we need to put in official info for the guest list (and then when the guests sign in at the will-call table the PAX folks will check ID to make sure the ticket’s going to the proper person).

Hope you can go!

Sweet thanks! If I’m randomly selected will I need to purchase any type of ticket to get into PAX to attend the guild wars presentation or would the guest pass get me into the event itself?

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Aw man. I’m moving down to near that area (about 45 minutes or so away) on Monday, but I sadly won’t be settled in enough to go by Saturday. I hope other people get to go and have some great fun.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Sweet thanks! If I’m randomly selected…

Who said it was random?

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Who said it was random?

Gaile did. "We’ll be randomly choosing from who who PM me. "

So... about PAX South...

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Sounds great, and I’d love you to be able to come! We’ll be randomly choosing from who who PM me. To do that: Click my name, then choose “Send a private message” on the left (sort of middle of the screen) and tell me you’d like to attend. I’ll be collecting a name and address because we need to put in official info for the guest list (and then when the guests sign in at the will-call table the PAX folks will check ID to make sure the ticket’s going to the proper person).

Hope you can go!

Sweet thanks! If I’m randomly selected will I need to purchase any type of ticket to get into PAX to attend the guild wars presentation or would the guest pass get me into the event itself?

You will pay nothing except whatever it takes to get there. The full-day show pass — which includes the presentation by the Guild Wars 2 Team — has been purchased by ArenaNet. You will be fully our guest as far as the ticket to the show!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

So... about PAX South...

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Who said it was random?

Gaile did. "We’ll be randomly choosing from who who PM me. "

Gad, don’t you hate it when you only see your typo when someone quotes it?

Rose, sorry you can’t attend, but thanks for your interest and good luck with your move.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: DBZVelena.5186

DBZVelena.5186

I’m really sad that i can’t go to Pax south. (living in Europe ect.)
However, i WAS one of the first to play the demo of gw2 back 3 years a go at gamescom, so its fair that now America gets a chance to be first for something.
I’ll just be here in my room watching the live stream.

Proud Medic of the Splinter Warband. PM me to know more.

So... about PAX South...

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

However, i WAS one of the first to play the demo of gw2 back 3 years a go at gamescom, so its fair that now America gets a chance to be first for something.

Sounds great, and thanks for your support.

Oh, btw, I love the gamecom show. It’s always fantastic!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Well….I know I aint getting one for two reasons

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Times like this I hate living in Australia. lol

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I would love the chance but alas I am working and a wee bit far away at that (East Coast, US). Good luck to those that attempt a shot at the invitation. It should be an amazing event.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

So... about PAX South...

CrimeDog.5614

Sounds great, and I’d love you to be able to come! We’ll be randomly choosing from those who PM me. To do that: Click my name, then choose “Send a private message” (it’s the second option down on the list) (sort of in the left-hand side of the screen) and tell me you’d like to attend. I’ll be collecting a name and address because we need to put in official info for the guest list (and then when the guests sign in at the will-call table the PAX folks will check ID to make sure the ticket’s going to the proper person).

Hope you can go!

My driver’s license is not the correct address. Will this cause an issue if I was to be selected and go at the check in desk?

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The whole PAX thing is going to be a big let down. Wait and see.

The Burninator

So... about PAX South...

Vayne.8563

Depends on how reasonable people’s expectations are.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Depends on how reasonable people’s expectations are.

Reasonable is the key word.

The Burninator

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

This is awesome of you. Me, I’m not going to suddenly buy plane tickets and a hotel room for something I’ll be watching on Twitch in comfort But I hope a few more people get a chance to be there live when they wouldn’t have otherwise had the chance!

Also please make the Twitch broadcast pan over the audience from time to time. I have a guildie who will be there and we are all rooting to see her.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Suck it up, buttercup. Now you see the disadvantages of not only living in another country, but also the one furthest from where the event is at.

Also, not only is it a disadvantage distance-wise, but also time-wise. Whenever this all goes down ‘across the pond’, it’s a decent time compared to when it all happens over here. You have to be an insomniac or a shift worker interested in gaming to be able to catch it live. Either way it’s a minority.

Now you see why I hate patch day. It’s always at a time that suits the ‘majority’ players, and the overseas ones have to always play catch-up.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

Patch time has nothing to do with a convenient time for the “majority” of players. It has everything to do with standard business hours of where Anet is located.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Crakataka.1370

Crakataka.1370

woot! hope i can get selected to support my friend whos going to be there with ANET!

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

I would come, but I am quite far away. Do you sponser flights as well (just joking)

have fun, please deliver something amazing and don`t have the hype train run over a cliff.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Darkmorphos.1530

Darkmorphos.1530

Too bad I live in Europe.

But best of luck everyone and to whomever is selected: have a tremendous time!

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

If someone was reasonable enough to put some breaks on the hype train, it certainly would have stopped in Houston.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

Make the most out of it, all of you who manage to win. I’ll be watching the livestream from across the ocean :P

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Patch time has nothing to do with a convenient time for the “majority” of players. It has everything to do with standard business hours of where Anet is located.

Maybe so, but that doesn’t make it right for the overseas players who will be at least 12 hours behind the majority of the playerbase (think about it, most OCX/SEA players wouldn’t be able to get on at any practical time before say 4pm the following day, but the patch usually drops when we’re counting Z’s), and it most certainly doesn’t mean we have to like it.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

edit: You’re right Lordkrall.

(edited by Torsailr.8456)

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Lets not derail the thread shall we?

Great initiative ArenaNet, sadly I won’t be able to attend (a bit far to drive/fly/swim/paddle from Sweden after all) but good luck to everyone that is PMing!

Going to follow it on Twitch but would be awesome to actually meet the people in person. Maybe one day

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

Rha, I would have loved to be there! Too bad I’m French! I hope you will make us a subtitled translation! (if any video)

# Asura because I’m worth it!

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

man, saturday. the best day.wish AI had a D&D session at south

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

As it happens, I live in SATX, and PMs have happened already. Also, Gaile can be pretty darn awesome.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

Dearest Gale,

My love,
I would totally fly all the way over from Australia to see the team but I get this feeling they would not be able to handle my obscene language and offensive tendencies.

Forum posters the world over rue the day I come into any civilised chat session, I am unwanted they say, off topic they say, offensive and inflammatory they say!

I can only imagine that in person I would be an even more disgusting and unruly individual. My sincerest apologies, as I do hold ArenaNet close to my rotten heart.

Yours in parting,
GMB.

PS – My good friend Brazil may be interested however.

So... about PAX South...

Vayne.8563

Dearest Gale,

My love,
I would totally fly all the way over from Australia to see the team but I get this feeling they would not be able to handle my obscene language and offensive tendencies.

Forum posters the world over rue the day I come into any civilised chat session, I am unwanted they say, off topic they say, offensive and inflammatory they say!

I can only imagine that in person I would be an even more disgusting and unruly individual. My sincerest apologies, as I do hold ArenaNet close to my rotten heart.

Yours in parting,
GMB.

Bloody well said, mate.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Oh boy, diz gun b good!

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Well if you guys and gals ever do anything like his in the UK, I’ll be all over it like white on rice.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Wow, this is a really nice gesture. Thanks, Gaile and co!

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Gaile, I don’t really need a ticket but I’d like to wish Mike and Colin all the best in whatever they are going to present. Swing for the fence guys… It’s better to be hung as a horse thief than for stealing chickens.

“I’m sure I don’t know. Luck favors the prepared Darling.” E. Mode

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Sounds great, and thanks for your support.

Oh, btw, I love the gamecom show. It’s always fantastic!

Would be awesome then for all those of us that live in Europe, if you could repeat this kind of Special VIFF Guest thing then maybe again this year for the upcoming Gamescom in August.
Theoretically I could be then a VIFF there, because I live in Cologne and the Gamescom area is also just like only half an hour or so away from me.
Was there already the first two times when you were there on Gamescom for presenting the Game, when it was short before of its Release Date and you came in there with playable Demos.
Was awesome, had a talk back then at these years with some Devs that were there, like Issaiah or Ree and some others trying back then to get already out of Ree some speech how the Deep See Dragon is called lol, but without success and used the chances to get some nice signatures for my Guild Wars Books from Ghosts of Ascalon and Destiny’s Edge and that was 2010 and 2011 xD

So I don’t know, what your plans are with Heart of Thorns, but if it will take some while to release it, if it is like many think it is a first full blown expansion that we might see eventually first after Q3 of this year, it could be maybe an awesome timing for this years Gamescom that you could officially release it maybe around the date of gamescom, so you you could also present on the tradefair some kind of special Release Trailer, just like you did with the Main Game back in 2010, where you presented the game there the very first time officially to the world basically with a Trailer.

But for now, lets see what awaits us all on the 24th of January and grats in advance to those people, which can be VIFF guests on Pax South in a week.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

So... about PAX South...

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Couple of things:

Tickets: A kind forum member pointed out that I might want to express that we’re not able to provide transportation, lodging, or meals. When I say there is no cost, I mean there is no cost associated with a ticket that we’re giving for someone to attend as our guest. Other costs are on the guest.

Other Events: I agree it would be great to extend this to other events, and I’m actually working on something in that regard, as are other team members. Hope to have more info on that in the future. (I am a huge, huge fan of gamecom and of any event that lets us interact with Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 players. Granted, I’m not nearly as interesting as Ree or Colin or Mike or the devs, but hey, what I lack in that quality I can make up for in enthusiasm, right? Basically, I’d show up at the local Starbucks if it involved fans. )

If you’re making a request for a ticket please read this:

• In order to make sure I have the info I need, could you please provide your name and address in your PM to me? If you already have PM’d me, please go to your Sent folder in PMs and respond to the same PM to give me this information.
  • If you are asking for more than one ticket, please include the display name and the real name of the other person(s) and have them also submit a PM. We want to be extra fair on this, so it’s best to have each person submit a separate PM and in each PM where you’re part of a group of 2 or more, reference the other names, please.
  • If you already are attending PAX South on Saturday, and would like access to what I’m calling our VIFF Section (unofficial name, but you know what I mean!) please let me know that. “I don’t need a ticket, but would like to be in the VIP/VIFF section” will do.

Thanks!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

So... about PAX South...

Vayne.8563

Couple of things:

Tickets: A kind forum member pointed out that I might want to express that we’re not able to provide transportation, lodging, or meals. When I say there is no cost, I mean there is no cost associated with a ticket that we’re giving for someone to attend as our guest. Other costs are on the guest.

Other Events: I agree it would be great to extend this to other events, and I’m actually working on something in that regard, as are other team members. Hope to have more info on that in the near future. (I am a huge, huge fan of gamecom and of any event that lets us interact with Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 players. Granted, I’m not nearly as interesting as Ree or Colin or Mike or the devs, but hey, what I lack in that quality I can make up for in enthusiasm, right? Basically, I’d show up at the local Starbucks if it involved fans. )

Gaile, I’d be as happy to meet you as anyone on the Anet staff. You’ve meant a huge amount to this community for a very very long time.

Don’t sell yourself short.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

u.u

All the great things happen so far from the Northeast.

I’d hope that those who get the chance to go would be so kind as to maybe create topics, polls, or whatever may be about what to perhaps ask the GW2 team about while attending. I know I definitely would have a few questions to ask, but would certainly want a big list of things I maybe haven’t thought of/did not know of.

Good luck to participants, and Gaile, you’re great and even if not perhaps as interesting, you mean more to us than some of those developers; don’t sell yourself short like that

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Greatness! Wish I could join! I happen to be VERY far away. :P

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: The Lethe.2953

The Lethe.2953

Thanks again Gaile for doing this. Here’s to hoping for plenty of tickets to all us fans. (and one to me too

Edit: Can you give us a hint at how many people have PM’ed you so far? How many tickets you are giving out?

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

I want a ticket!! But unfortunately I live in Windy Beansticks West Wales lol It’s a long journey to go shopping. But I’ll be there in spirit. And screaming at the ever-buffering livestream and wishing I could squeeze more Interweb Stuffs down my copper wire phoneline like toothpaste from a tube haha x

So... about PAX South...

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Anyone who submitted a request to attend: We must have your full name and address before we can add you to the group from which tickets and seats will be drawn.

If you did not include your name address, please send me your full name and address via PM. Check your PMs and you may find one from me, in which case just respond to me. Otherwise, send me one on your own. We cannot process requests for tickets or access to the Fan Section without a name and address.

Thank you!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

Does this mean that I need to hurry up and finish Living Story Season 2 (I just recently started the Echoes of the Past chapter) by January 24th so as not to have any Season 2 spoilers revealed?

(edited by Torvic.8256)