So... about PAX South...

So... about PAX South...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Hello, Forum Members!

I’ve just been given some… dare I say “exciting” news?

We have a handful — just a few — Saturday passes for PAX South in San Antonio, Texas, on January 24th. The passes include preferred (I call it VIFF = Very Important Forum Fan) seating for the presentation being given by Mike O’Brien and Colin Johanson.

Doors open at 10:00 AM for the 10:30 AM presentation. You can get a few details here.

We’d like to invite a few of you to attend as our guest. If you’re interested in attending the presentation (and PAX South) on Saturday, January 24th, and are in or can be in the San Antonio, Texas area, please send me a PM by Monday, January 19. I should be able to get back to you on Tuesday to let you know if we’re able to add you to the (limited) guest list. (It goes without saying that we can only add people who will be able to attend, so please be sure of your availability.)

I won’t be at the event, but I know a lot of ArenaNet reps are looking forward to seeing you there. I hope from some of our fantastic forum members to get their names on the guest list!

Figures. I live four hours away. More importantly, my KIDS live in San Antonio, AND I’ll be there with them that weekend.

Sadly, I found that saturday was completely sold out – WTH?!?! I don’t go to these things, so I didn’t realize they would sell out.

Secondly… well, my two boys would probably love going there, but not my daughter, so I don’t suppose it would be cool dragging her around all weekend around something she wouldn’t enjoy on our few precious days together.

Ugh…. ah well.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

as you have the luky … I envy all of you. x)
I dream to meet ArenaNet guys again! (But I still know how to speak English! grrr). xD

# Asura because I’m worth it!

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: The Lethe.2953

The Lethe.2953

@ Morfedel, I empathize with you. I missed out on Saturday too but at the very least if you manage to snag a winning ticket you can at least go in the morning then spend the rest of the day with your daughter! I’m sure she would understand you going to something for a few hours

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: TDC.1627

TDC.1627

Hey Gaile, How can we get some ANET representation at PAX Australia in October! Would love to see the team down here!

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Hey Gaile, How can we get some ANET representation at PAX Australia in October! Would love to see the team down here!

I’m on board!!!

Now to convince my boss that I need to go.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

So... about PAX South...

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

If you requested a PAX ticket or seating in our special fan section, please check your in-box here on the forums in the Private Message section.

While we really wish we could have invited everyone, there were a lot of interested parties, so we did the best we could and invited the maximum number possible. If you don’t have anything in your in-box and applied with a friend, be sure you check with that friend because I may have contacted him or her to give the happy news.

If you were not included this time, we’re really sorry! We will try to have other opportunities in the future, so keep your eyes on the forums for other cool offerings!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Sigh for being from Australia. Have fun to whoever is the lucky people who end up going.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Rasern.3562

Rasern.3562

Hey Gaile, any details on the evening GW2 community event at PAX South? I heard down the grapevine (penny arcade forums) that there’s a community event planned 1/24, but the details are a little vague.

EDIT: Scratch that… it’s right on your news page. Think I’m good!

AKA “Koopa”
Proud member of [coVn] on Fort Aspenwood.

(edited by Rasern.3562)

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I’m on board!!!

Won’t happen.

They couldn’t even organise a stall or basically ANY kind of representation for GW2 back pre-launch in 2012 at local games festivals like Supanova, but guess which other long-standing MMO was there representing all it’s wares?

We’re not good enough for representation from Anet. I don’t say this lightly, but every bit of support I threw in for my appreciation of Anet for the great work they did with GW1 has been cast asunder by the disturbing lack of interest with GW2. The 8:30am PST official unveiling of Heart of Thorns just reaffirms that belief, as locally it’s 3:30am, the next day. Again, only the local die-hards and insomniacs will be in livestream attendance.

I can’t change where I live, and there’s no way I can afford a ticket and a 14 hour flight from here to there. Have some consideration.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

I’m on board!!!

Won’t happen.

They couldn’t even organise a stall or basically ANY kind of representation for GW2 back pre-launch in 2012 at local games festivals like Supanova, but guess which other long-standing MMO was there representing all it’s wares?

We’re not good enough for representation from Anet. I don’t say this lightly, but every bit of support I threw in for my appreciation of Anet for the great work they did with GW1 has been cast asunder by the disturbing lack of interest with GW2. The 8:30am PST official unveiling of Heart of Thorns just reaffirms that belief, as locally it’s 3:30am, the next day. Again, only the local die-hards and insomniacs will be in livestream attendance.

I can’t change where I live, and there’s no way I can afford a ticket and a 14 hour flight from here to there. Have some consideration.

And if they unveiled at a time convenient for you, other people would be likewise inconvenienced. It wasn’t a slight. Seriously.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: pdemo.8312

pdemo.8312

If you do not win a ticket here there are so on stub hub between 100-200usd

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I am going to state the obvious, but if it saves just one person from being very unhappy on Saturday, it is obviousness well stated.

Do not expect to enter the convention quickly. Large cons tend to have long lines at registration. If you arrive 15 minutes before the panel begins planning to just pick up your day pass and waltz on in to find a seat, you’ll end up missing out.

I don’t know how PAX runs these things, but if there is any feasible way to collect your day pass the night before so you can walk right in Saturday morning, you’ll want to do that. Otherwise try to be there as early as you can.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

PAX will call traditionally opens Thursday afternoon and remains open through most of the weekend. It is definitely a good idea to get there early to get your pass in hand as soon as you can.

So... about PAX South...

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

We are actually suggesting that our guests try to pick up their tickets on Friday, if at all possible. Obviously people driving from a distance won’t be able to do that, but if you’re local — and many of those on my list are — you could consider popping over to get the pass on Friday, during lunch, etc. The hours of will call are pretty broad, as Mark said, but you could look on the website to ensure they will be available to give you your Saturday pass at a time of your convenience.

Thanks for posting, Donari — you made really good points. There’s nothing more upsetting than to have tickets for an event and be standing in line when it happens!
We want all our Guild Wars 2 fans in the theatre in plenty of time for the presentation!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Soren.9316

Soren.9316

I am going to state the obvious, but if it saves just one person from being very unhappy on Saturday, it is obviousness well stated.

Do not expect to enter the convention quickly. Large cons tend to have long lines at registration. If you arrive 15 minutes before the panel begins planning to just pick up your day pass and waltz on in to find a seat, you’ll end up missing out.

I don’t know how PAX runs these things, but if there is any feasible way to collect your day pass the night before so you can walk right in Saturday morning, you’ll want to do that. Otherwise try to be there as early as you can.

I can 2nd that (SDCC regular right here =p). Saturday tends to be the busiest day out of the entire weekend so you are definitely going to want to be there early. Popular panels and events will generally have people lining up well in advance of the panel start time and I’d hedge my bets on lines starting to form for the GW2 panel as soon as the doors open what with the hype train and all.

IGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: pdemo.8312

pdemo.8312

How big is the main theater?

So... about PAX South...

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I can 2nd that (SDCC regular right here =p). Saturday tends to be the busiest day out of the entire weekend so you are definitely going to want to be there early. Popular panels and events will generally have people lining up well in advance of the panel start time and I’d hedge my bets on lines starting to form for the GW2 panel as soon as the doors open what with the hype train and all.

Soren — I fixed that for you.

…lines starting to form for the GW2 panel as soon as the doors open what with the hype train keen anticipation of the presentation and all.

:)

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Brate.8406

Brate.8406

Wife and I probably missed out on tickets (would love to have gone) but we live in San Antonio and will be at the after party. If a tall bald guy offers to buy you a margarita then that’s likely me.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Soren.9316

Soren.9316

Lol, thx Gaile, I was at a loss for what to call it, maybe should have used rampant specualtion. Now if only I wasn’t 2500 miles away XD

IGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

(edited by Soren.9316)

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I’m on board!!!

Won’t happen.

And if they unveiled at a time convenient for you, other people would be likewise inconvenienced. It wasn’t a slight. Seriously.

Let’s take a more serious (as you put it) look at conventions then. Anet won’t show up in Australia. It’s too far away, we don’t have a big enough fan base, etc. etc. the excuses go on. I’d be delighted if they did and I’ll be proven wrong, but they just won’t. Refer to my first post about why, lest I reiterate.

The problem with playing this game and living in Australia is Anet NEVER do stuff that is agreeable to OCX players in their time zones, period. You wanna see it happen? Watch it on a YT feed, but it won’t be live. Anyone else in the world would shout out the same way if they were hardly-done-by like we are. I don’t think anyone can fully appreciate the gravity of it unless you live here.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

I’m sorry, but I have no choice but to use my time travel machine to Saturday. This wait is killing me!

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Bernie.8674

Bernie.8674

When I received my plastic badges in the mail they said those were all I needed to get in. Am I going to need to exchange those for another type of pass? My impression was that the only thing I would need to pick up was a lanyard at the gate.

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I think a lot of this advice is for people that haven’t got the physical passes yet and need to pick them up at registration. But pass or no pass, the line to enter that hall will be forming asap, so you’ll want to be there early enough to get some choice of seating.

Also the passes, as I understand it, are to the convention as a whole. I’d be surprised if one hall has room for everyone, so the sooner you’re in line to get into the panel the better.

(I’m so psyched for my guildie who snagged a VIFF invite! She’s been beyond giddy).

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I have a lot to do this weekend, but might make it just in time. Can someone tell me the exact EU times (i live in +1 gmt wich is most of the EU time zone, like germany, france etc). Most of time it’s +7 or +8 hours, but that one hour can make critical difference, it starts 10:30 am american UTC time (i think?), how late is that EU? 5:30 pm? or 6;30? How long will it last? Can we later come home, click the stream from it’s start rather then being live? Will it be uploaded later? If so, how fast can we expect upload?

Thanks for these answers, if anyone (especially Gaile) can answer them.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

So... about PAX South...

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

When I received my plastic badges in the mail they said those were all I needed to get in. Am I going to need to exchange those for another type of pass? My impression was that the only thing I would need to pick up was a lanyard at the gate.

Bernie, you’ll be fine. Al are welcome at the presentation about Guild Wars 2 just with their PAX South pass. (Well, subject to theatre capacity, of course.) A fan just needs to get in line and they’re welcome to attend.

You are on our guest list for the presentation, so you’ll have special seating. Just follow the instructions I sent you and we’ll look for you in the VIFF group!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

So... about PAX South...

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I think a lot of this advice is for people that haven’t got the physical passes yet and need to pick them up at registration. But pass or no pass, the line to enter that hall will be forming asap, so you’ll want to be there early enough to get some choice of seating.

Also the passes, as I understand it, are to the convention as a whole. I’d be surprised if one hall has room for everyone, so the sooner you’re in line to get into the panel the better.

(I’m so psyched for my guildie who snagged a VIFF invite! She’s been beyond giddy).

Oh wow, glad your guildie is going!

You make an excellent point: The earlier the better. I’d rather hang out in line and be assured of snagging a seat then hang out in line while someone else is sitting at the presentation. I’m advising people to think about picking up their passes the day before, if they’re able to do so, but by all means allowing lots of time to get the con pass, get to the theatre, and get seated.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

So... about PAX South...

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I’m sorry, but I have no choice but to use my time travel machine to Saturday. This wait is killing me!

If Sherman and Mr. Peabody had the WayBACK Machine, it would be fun to have a LittleBitForward machine, eh?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

So... about PAX South...

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Good luck to all those going! And if you happen to run into Renektonbot there, tell them that Palador said “Mousie said to say that Mousie says hello.”

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

So... about PAX South...

Previous

Gaile Gray

Wife and I probably missed out on tickets (would love to have gone) but we live in San Antonio and will be at the after party. If a tall bald guy offers to buy you a margarita then that’s likely me.

That is so sweet of you! Sadly, I am not going to San Antonio, so will be unable to accept your kind offer. May I take a raincheck? I really hope to attend in the future!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet