So about those giants...

So about those giants...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

The giant slayer achievement is in need of some serious modification. Expecting players to kill 1000 giants, when there are only three individual creatures in the entire game that count, is a travesty. The only 3 that count are the giant that spawns in an event in Nageling, the one that spawns in a cave on the east side of Harathi Hinterlands during an event, and Kudu’s monster that only spawns at the end of CoE story mode.

Do you really expect your player base to do CoE story mode 1000 times just for that one boss, or to stand around in Nageling for hours on end for the event to start and do that event 1000 times, or in that cave in Harathi Hinterlands 1000 times? Are you nuts?

I am hereby calling for the immediate reduction of the required amount of giants that need to be killed for that achievement from 1000 to no more than 100. All the other creatures in the game can found found in various groups throughout the world with multiple numbers to fight at a time, so a requirement of 1000 kills is not so bad. These giants, however, are so scarce and in situations that most players don’t stay in for long that it’s ridiculous. The undead risen giants don’t even count!

Do the right thing, ArenaNet. Reduce the required amount for the giant slayer achievement or give us hordes of giants to fight, and make the risen undead giants count while you’re at it.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

So about those giants...

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Demanding things probably isn’t as effective as suggesting in a more pleasant manner.

Who know? Maybe there will be ample giants in other lands, or upcoming content.

So about those giants...

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

there is an event in south-west brisban (somewhere around toxal bog) which spawns giants. the more persons attend, the more giants spawn, though I think there’s an upper limit of 5 or 8 or so.
go to the swamp and talk to the golem to start the event.

apart from that, I kinda agree, the slayer achievements seem poorly thought out and seem to just have been placed in game as a cheap way to add achievements. same with the weapon master achievements (horn, shield and focus especially).

So about those giants...

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Yeah making demands is not the best way of comunicating here.
But I understand that many find killing 1000 giants a bit on the ridiculous side, seeing the number of giants you meet.
But I am in the hopes that it will be like Inculpatus cedo said. That we may see more giants in new areas when we do get new content.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

So about those giants...

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

The giant slayer achievement is in need of some serious modification. Expecting players to kill 1000 giants, when there are only three individual creatures in the entire game that count, is a travesty. The only 3 that count are the giant that spawns in an event in Nageling, the one that spawns in a cave on the east side of Harathi Hinterlands during an event, and Kudu’s monster that only spawns at the end of CoE story mode.

Do you really expect your player base to do CoE story mode 1000 times just for that one boss, or to stand around in Nageling for hours on end for the event to start and do that event 1000 times, or in that cave in Harathi Hinterlands 1000 times? Are you nuts?

I am hereby calling for the immediate reduction of the required amount of giants that need to be killed for that achievement from 1000 to no more than 100. All the other creatures in the game can found found in various groups throughout the world with multiple numbers to fight at a time, so a requirement of 1000 kills is not so bad. These giants, however, are so scarce and in situations that most players don’t stay in for long that it’s ridiculous. The undead risen giants don’t even count!

Do the right thing, ArenaNet. Reduce the required amount for the giant slayer achievement or give us hordes of giants to fight, and make the risen undead giants count while you’re at it.

There is a 4th giant in Brisban Wildlands, there is an event called “Broken Golem“ and is a pain to solo kill, bringing a friend to help will cause 2 giants to spawn, I’ve read that 9 people will spawn 4 Giants and some say that with 20+ you get 5 Giants spawning, there is even a giant slayer guild on Blackgate that helps people get this by doing the “Broken Golem” event over and over by guesting to other servers.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

(edited by Im Mudbone.1437)

So about those giants...

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Giant Slayer would still be painful, but at least doable, if risen giants counted towards it

So about those giants...

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Don’t talk to me about giants lol. I’ve got all slayer achievement except that one. I’ve been playing since BWE1 and i’ve only killed maybe 20! I don’t somehow think i’ll get this achievement and it kinda bugs me a bit since the only thing not done on that panel.

Hopefully, when we get some new maps, we’ll get one that has nothing but giants and it will count toward this achievement. Well, I can dream can’t I?

So about those giants...

Im Mudbone.1437

Don’t talk to me about giants lol. I’ve got all slayer achievement except that one. I’ve been playing since BWE1 and i’ve only killed maybe 20! I don’t somehow think i’ll get this achievement and it kinda bugs me a bit since the only thing not done on that panel.

Hopefully, when we get some new maps, we’ll get one that has nothing but giants and it will count toward this achievement. Well, I can dream can’t I?

Giants are all I need as well and have 37. {:-þ

So about those giants...

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

it’s nearly not possible. if it was 100, it could be ok.

So about those giants...

Posted by: Fugu.7842

Fugu.7842

Definition of achievement:
“something that has been done or achieved through effort : a result of hard work”

So about those giants...

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

“something that has been done or achieved through effort : a result of hard work”

Am i to assume u got this achievement then? if so power to u, but i ain’t gonna camp 1 or 2 giants in the entire game for 1000 kills, not for any achievement. That simply isn’t fun and that is the main reason i play games.

So about those giants...

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Perhaps there will be more when they add a new map.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

So about those giants...

Im Mudbone.1437

Perhaps there will be more when they add a new map.

FIXED;
Perhaps there will be more IF they add a new map.

So about those giants...

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

It is possible. Read the dulfy’s guide of slayer achievements. People are in a giant farming guild. They upscale one specific event so that 5 would spawn then kill 4 and fail it. The event respawns around every 5 minutes. If you do it until you reach 50 a day it will take you 20 days. You could do 25 a day or so for 40 days. Or 12 a day for 80 days. Time consuming and grindy, but doable.

That being said I think that it should either reward far more points or there should be more giants in the world.

So about those giants...

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

When they do add more giants, I think they should be wearing our old mix-n-match town clothes, using the old human female running animation, with plush griffon mini pets that follow them when they go swimming.

Just to bring it on home.

So about those giants...

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

It is possible. Read the dulfy’s guide of slayer achievements. People are in a giant farming guild. They upscale one specific event so that 5 would spawn then kill 4 and fail it. The event respawns around every 5 minutes. If you do it until you reach 50 a day it will take you 20 days. You could do 25 a day or so for 40 days. Or 12 a day for 80 days. Time consuming and grindy, but doable.

That being said I think that it should either reward far more points or there should be more giants in the world.

I’ve said nearly, not completely.

When they add veteran or lower leveled giants to some more maps, it can be done with some effort. But it’s so grindy at its current state. It can stay as a hard achievement, but then it deserves more ap reward like 50-100 ap.

(edited by Umut.5471)

So about those giants...

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I do think it’s rather excessive, yeah. However, there’s room for that to be fixed with further content/expansions. (e.g. Canthan expansion. There are maps full of Yetis; yetis count as Giants. Done. )

What I’d like to see added is that Giants (especially Veteran or Champ giants) ALWAYS drop Giant Eyes, similar to the way Veteran Karka always drop a Karka Shell. Giant Eyes are so rare that the only thing keeping their price from exploding is the fact that they are used in so few recipes.

So about those giants...

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’ve killed 12 and played nearly 6,000 hours. So at this rate, it’ll take me 500,000 hours to complete, or 20,833 days. Or 57 years. I’ll be 89 when I complete this achievement.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

So about those giants...

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

I’ve killed 12 and played nearly 6,000 hours. So at this rate, it’ll take me 500,000 hours to complete, or 20,833 days. Or 57 years. I’ll be 89 when I complete this achievement.

You didn’t spend 6000 hours farming Giants, so be less dramatic.

So about those giants...

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i don’t remember, is there specific title for giant slayer ?

if there isn’t there should be one…

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

So about those giants...

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Since launch I’ve killed 27 giants. Somehow I don’t think I’m going to get 1000 anytime soon.

I was rather peeved when I went out of my way to kill a couple of those annoying Veteran Risen Giants and then found out they didn’t count. >.>

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

So about those giants...

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

There is a 4th giant in Brisban Wildlands, there is an event called “Broken Golem“ and is a pain to solo kill,

I’ve done this event solo a few times. The giant is always a normal mob for me, not a vet, elite, or champ level. It’s down in a few seconds.

So about those giants...

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I saw that achievement too and tried killing a few giants only to see the total never went up. I chalked it under the “bugged” category and won’t touch it further.

So about those giants...

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

It’s not like it gives you a fancy title like Giant Slayer. It’s just a few AP you can get in other ways. What about thrist slayer? After karma nerf it’s not so easilly doable. Except gold sinking.

So about those giants...

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I have the solution! Giant Dolyaks! Progress Giant Slayer and Yakslapper at the same time!

Finish one… oh, about 10 years before the other. But who’s counting?

So about those giants...

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Once I got to Orr for the first time and seen Risen Giants walking about, I set out to start progressing this achievement. It then became apparent that these giants don’t count towards the achieve. Then I find out that there are like 3 giants in the game who do count.

I thought no way am I going to kill them 1000times to get this achieve and haven’t looked back since.

I do think that more giants should be added to the game. lol, I even think there should be some sort title for completing that achieve. Would kind of motivate me to get some daily kills on them.

So about those giants...

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

WTB moar GIANTS, ANET !

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

So about those giants...

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Clearly what we’re asking for here is Land of the Giants. Go on, Anet, you know it makes sense.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

So about those giants...

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

The word demand is nowhere in my original post. I’m not demanding anything. I’m bringing attention to a real problem.

I know that there are ways of upscaling a certain event to farm giants, but that is still a very unreasonable way of doing it. I’m sure the majority of the player base will not want to sit in one zone, repeating the same event over and over. It’s just a horrible and boring grind. Never mind that it can be done, it’s how it is done that’s the problem.

The achievement is way too impractical. Given the low number of giants in the game, a reduction to 100 is fair. 1000 is ridiculous.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

So about those giants...

penelopehannibal.8947

You didn’t spend 6000 hours farming Giants, so be less dramatic.

I’m not being dramatic, I’m working out how long it will take me personally, at the rate I’m currently killing them. Be less dramatic please.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

So about those giants...

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

6’000 hours. That’s more than 10 hours a day… I can’t find any words to describe how questionable I find that. No job, no wife, no life?

Anyway, I played about 2000 hours and have killed 17 or 19 of those, always wondered what a ‘giant’ is, now that it is so low.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

So about those giants...

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Some achievements are intentionally designed to take an extremely long time to complete. Some WvW ones, for example, are designed to take years of dedicated WvW playing to have a hope of getting. Being able to do everything in a month or two is flat out silly.

#TeamJadeQuarry

So about those giants...

penelopehannibal.8947

6’000 hours. That’s more than 10 hours a day… I can’t find any words to describe how questionable I find that. No job, no wife, no life?

Anyway, I played about 2000 hours and have killed 17 or 19 of those, always wondered what a ‘giant’ is, now that it is so low.

I’m a full time carer for my disabled wife but thank you for your input.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

So about those giants...

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Sorry to hear that. So you are a lot of time AFKing I assume.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

So about those giants...

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

There are people who have this achievement completed, the first one got in early 2013, If I am not mistaken, it is one of the harder achievements, though.

Maybe they should add an extra reward?

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

So about those giants...

Posted by: Teratus.2859

Teratus.2859

I have to agree with this post

Giant Slayer is just rediculous
at the very least Risen Giants should count I agree with that
although I would prefer them to replace Giant Slayer with something better like Primordus Bane and change the counter to Destroyers or something since they are much easier to find and hunt

Giant slayer just requires too much farming of a enemy that has too little pressence in the world

So about those giants...

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Why do people assume that we will never see more giants in the game? We got whole swaths of map that aren’t even available yet. Not to mention two additional cultural areas from GW1 (Cantha and Elona) that aren’t even show on the existing map, that we are hoping to see return to the game at some point.

Why do people assume that because it’s on the list, its supposed to be achievable ‘right now’? Obviously it is doable, with a lot of effort, but that doesn’t mean it’s not intended as a long term achievement. Anet has listed achievements before that were not immediately attainable.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

So about those giants...

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Getting 5,000 killing blows with a shield counts. I did that.

Killing 1,000 Giants? That’s not an achievement. That’s a Trial of Hercules. That’s its own circle of Hell.

So about those giants...

Posted by: Khattnip.1908

Khattnip.1908

An alternative I’d find interesting would be to keep it RELATIVELY harder, lets say maybe 300-500? But as part of a separate sub-category of “Big Game Hunter” or something that comes with a title?

So a set of Slayer tracks for rarer enemies, perhaps including Largos, Oakheart maybe, cough add Leviathan cough? Basically something that sets you apart for hunting the somewhat rarer, more exotic enemies of Tyria?

Then at least it would be WORTH the effort and set the players who managed it apart?

Such savings, very Ogden, wow!

So about those giants...

Posted by: Rebel.5827

Rebel.5827

I’m glad I ran across your post. I’m not at the frustrating point yet, and your information will help me avoid it. My giant kills is at 0, and I’ve completed 60% exploration. Now i know not to expect this to be doable. Thank you.

So about those giants...

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

My friend has been playing for almost 1 year and has 1 giant kill. Guess he’s doomed to playing for 1000 years until finishing this achievement.

So about those giants...

Teratus.2859

Why do people assume that we will never see more giants in the game? We got whole swaths of map that aren’t even available yet. Not to mention two additional cultural areas from GW1 (Cantha and Elona) that aren’t even show on the existing map, that we are hoping to see return to the game at some point.

Why do people assume that because it’s on the list, its supposed to be achievable ‘right now’? Obviously it is doable, with a lot of effort, but that doesn’t mean it’s not intended as a long term achievement. Anet has listed achievements before that were not immediately attainable.

The problem with that is that we have no promises of more Giants being added to the game
there have been multiple discussions about Cantha and Elona with no signs of them even being considered as possible expansions to the Gw2 game
unfortunately we have no promises at all that Gw2 will ever expand into other continents like Gw1 did and every new map will not promise a significant addition of Giants either

frankly because we know soo little about what is coming in future we can’t assume anything from it

So about those giants...

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The problem with that is that we have no promises of more Giants being added to the game
there have been multiple discussions about Cantha and Elona with no signs of them even being considered as possible expansions to the Gw2 game
unfortunately we have no promises at all that Gw2 will ever expand into other continents like Gw1 did and every new map will not promise a significant addition of Giants either

frankly because we know soo little about what is coming in future we can’t assume anything from it

And yet we automatically assume the worst. Doesn’t seem like it’s the best course of action.

Nothing is ever really guaranteed if you think about it. Something could be planned for, they could intend to do whatever, but the phrase ‘kitten happens’ exists for a very good reason.

Personally, I think until they simply flat out say Cantha, Elona, more giants, or whatever is definitively off the table, we should try to be a tad less pessimistic about it.

So about those giants...

Teratus.2859

And yet we automatically assume the worst. Doesn’t seem like it’s the best course of action.

Nothing is ever really guaranteed if you think about it. Something could be planned for, they could intend to do whatever, but the phrase ‘kitten happens’ exists for a very good reason.

Personally, I think until they simply flat out say Cantha, Elona, more giants, or whatever is definitively off the table, we should try to be a tad less pessimistic about it.

Well they haven’t said definitely off the table but they have said they have no current plans so
if there is gonna be Cantha and Elona it will be a very very long way off
and considering how long it took them to make GW2 I assume it will take them a fair bit of time to create the Canthan and Elonan Maps as well
minus the development of the new game engine etc of course but we are still looking at a few years at least considering the living world content etc etc

im just saying that honestly im not expecting them to bring those lands back in Gw2 because of how different the games are and the development time it would take
gw2 does prize itself on having constant and regular updates etc so
designing 2 more worlds is a lot to take on
specially for a no monthly fee MMO that has made no promises of actual expansion packs

So about those giants...

Posted by: smithkt.8062

smithkt.8062

Perhaps with the coming Megaserver changes, there will be more people hanging around in the few areas making the giant kills a little easier to accomplish. Here’s hoping.

So about those giants...

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Well they haven’t said definitely off the table but they have said they have no current plans

chuckle

You should know by now that this means nothing. There were ‘no plans’ for a wardrobe either. Only that it wasn’t off the table and it was something they might want to do.

Cantha has been stated as not being off the table. Additionally at one point, I believe it was Chris W that said we just had to ‘wait and see.’ When asked still, all they say is its ‘not off the table.’

So, yeah, not going to discount something just because there are ‘no plans’ (that they are willing to disclose).

So about those giants...

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Killing 1,000 Giants? That’s not an achievement. That’s a Trial of Hercules. That’s its own circle of Hell.

You know what? They’re both stupid achievements. (I’m working on the shield one, but most days I’m asking myself why I even bother.)

So about those giants...

Posted by: smithkt.8062

smithkt.8062

You know what? They’re both stupid achievements. (I’m working on the shield one, but most days I’m asking myself why I even bother.)

Kills on ambients count toward the weapon achievements. Makes it a lot easier to get kills with the off hand weapons. There are places with lots of ambients you can farm for this.

So about those giants...

Teratus.2859

chuckle

You should know by now that this means nothing. There were ‘no plans’ for a wardrobe either. Only that it wasn’t off the table and it was something they might want to do.

Cantha has been stated as not being off the table. Additionally at one point, I believe it was Chris W that said we just had to ‘wait and see.’ When asked still, all they say is its ‘not off the table.’

So, yeah, not going to discount something just because there are ‘no plans’ (that they are willing to disclose).

yeah I get what you are saying

im just the kind of person who doesn’t like disappointment :P
so I try not to get my hopes up about things I really really want

Cantha was by far my favorite place in Gw1
I don’t want to expect it because it would really bother me if it never comes back and I expected it to

plus if it does come back in some big announcment then im all the more justified in being ecstatic about it

So about those giants...

LanfearShadowflame.3189

chuckle

yeah I get what you are saying

im just the kind of person who doesn’t like disappointment :P
so I try not to get my hopes up about things I really really want

Cantha was by far my favorite place in Gw1
I don’t want to expect it because it would really bother me if it never comes back and I expected it to

plus if it does come back in some big announcment then im all the more justified in being ecstatic about it

I try not to get myself too hyped up either. Nothing is guaranteed, not even that I’ll wake up tomorrow, so I just take things as they come. I still keep adding my voice to the cantha thread, so that they know we’re still waiting. I won’t give up hope until they tell us absolutely ‘no,’ but I’m not going to let that deter my enjoyment either. If that makes sense?

Cantha was one of my favorite places too. Shing Jea and Echovald Forest were beautiful places with equally beautiful music.