So jaded by this forum community..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

To my knowledge, which can be summarized as reading 80% of the posts on here, there is pretty much nothing that can satisfy this community. Literally something always has to cause conflict and several rage posts. To add to that, most of the forum posts that do offer criticism, don’t offer it constructively. There is a lot of “This is the last straw Anet”, or “Does Anet even care about their players?” on this forum. We get patches every month! And in the last 2 months, its been twice a month, which is absolutely insane for a game. Obviously its a continual learning process, but I don’t think most of you actually take the time to appreciate the immense work Anet puts into the game, part of which is going on the forums listening to you guys make lousy complaints.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The day the community is satisfied is when GW3 comes out…so that the whole vicious cycle can begin anew

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

Just to be blunt, this forum is one of the better ones out there.

This is something that is present in every single MMO forum out there, and the behavior itself is present in every forum out there period (just a different focus).

Change people, and the forum will change. Aint gonna happen! lol.

Just enjoy it for what it is, honestly. There are still great discussions to be had, and an enormous amount to learn. I would say getting jaded is the first step to recovery :P

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Just remember, it’s different people, talking at different times.

There’s ALWAYS going to be a Vocal Minority. You can’t escape it in Real Life either.
Infact it’s actually a lot worse out there (special interest groups, drama queens, the media & sensationalism in general)

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

I do believe this is the one place on the internet where you could post pictures of fuzzy kittens being happy; and they’d complain that they prefer puppies instead.

Some people just want to see the world burn

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Watch Guild Wars 2 Manifesto, then go in game and play for couple of days, then watch it again, then compare it to GW1, then try guessing why.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

We get patches every month!

We also get RNG skins in the cash shop too. I think complaints about these are entirely justified. Sure people say just don’t buy them etc. but think of the younger people playing the game. They don’t have the life experience to realise that these boxes are out to benefit one party and it’s sure as hell not them so they buy them with there hopeful little allowance and get burned while NC Soft swims in gold coins like Scrooge McDuck.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

The day the community is satisfied is when GW3 comes out…so that the whole vicious cycle can begin anew

When GW3 comes out you’ll see lots of posts talking about how anet destroyed guild wars with it and why can’t it be more like GW2 and stuff like that..

Actually, I’ll write this down somewhere so I can quote it when GW3 comes out..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Tuluum.9638

I do believe this is the one place on the internet where you could post pictures of fuzzy kittens being happy; and they’d complain that they prefer puppies instead.

No, thats pretty much the internet in its entirety. Only reason why its less obvious “IRL” is that there isnt as much anonymity. But, check out what happens once people get even a minor taste of it (say, when driving a car).

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

When GW3 comes out you’ll see lots of posts talking about how anet destroyed guild wars with it and why can’t it be more like GW2 and stuff like that..

Actually, I’ll write this down somewhere so I can quote it when GW3 comes out..

You should’ve seen the forum posts when GW1 came out. Specifically, the posts which predicted GW1 would be “Death within 6 months.”

Posted by: IronPlushy.4256

IronPlushy.4256

What I imagine is the people that complain incessantly about the game are the ones that have played several hundred hours and just grinded the game into the dust. There is no game on earth that can satisfy such players. Satisfied players never come to the forums to say how satisfied they are, they’re playing the game instead.
But in all fairness I haven’t played this game in a long time for a few reasons. My big beef with the game is the tiny tiny skill pool. By level 35 you have access to every skill you’ll ever use. I can’t play 45+ levels with the same skills over and over. Just seems like really REALLY bad design.
I’d like to begin a new character but the armor is so kitten ugly. It’s important for an avatar to be pleasant, interesting, good etc. looking, these characters draped in chainmail or bolts of loose fabric are just unpleasant to look at. I mean the asura thief looks like shes wearing two potato sacks the first 15 levels and the warrior looks like she made her armor from a pile of discarded chainmail. It’s just really lazy design.

Posted by: Paponzi.1637

Paponzi.1637

Do you remember how good GW2 was? Good old times. The pvp in GW3 is sub par, the pve is sub par, you have to grind for everything and i’m leaving this game cause the real problems are not getting fixed. And where is the guild wars in gw3?

Edit: i forgot, no endgame

Paul.4081

Yeah but the Joker is in Arkham Asylum isn’t he Alfred?

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

there is pretty much nothing that can satisfy this community.

This is true of any group of humans, anywhere.

Tuluum.9638

there is pretty much nothing that can satisfy this community.

This is true of any group of humans, anywhere.

If people havent realized this yet, they are in for some rude awakenings in life.

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Posted by: Guns and Giblets.9308

Guns and Giblets.9308

To my knowledge, which can be summarized as reading 80% of the posts on here, there is pretty much nothing that can satisfy this community. Literally something always has to cause conflict and several rage posts. To add to that, most of the forum posts that do offer criticism, don’t offer it constructively. There is a lot of “This is the last straw Anet”, or “Does Anet even care about their players?” on this forum. We get patches every month! And in the last 2 months, its been twice a month, which is absolutely insane for a game. Obviously its a continual learning process, but I don’t think most of you actually take the time to appreciate the immense work Anet puts into the game, part of which is going on the forums listening to you guys make lousy complaints.

MMO forums can wither your soul. Don’t let it jade you.

My advice (for what it’s worth):

1. Read less of the forums, play more of the game. Or, if the game is boring, go for a walk, eat some food, read a good book, have coffee with some friends.

2. Ignore posters who are clearly more concerned about their own ego, post count, and being the center of attention or engage in a petty vindictiveness for perceived insults from conversations you had months ago. Life is too short to have extended arguments with complete strangers over a video game.

3. Post constructive criticism and be content to leave it as is. You can’t please everyone. Stop reading threads when they get toxic, reporting them to moderators and moving on.

4. Try to engage in conversation with people who have demonstrated a willingness to listen to and discuss ideas. These people tend not to be overly sarcastic or rude.

5. Avoid playing Forum Wars 2 PvP: you know—that minigame where haters and fanboys find the best ways to goad each other into infractions through (not so) cleverly disguised insults, mocking hyperbole and inflammatory characterizations.

“A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.” -Jewish Proverb

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

What I imagine is the people that complain incessantly about the game are the ones that have played several hundred hours and

…And the moment you take all complaints about something and lump them in the same sack, you basically become a fanboy claiming the game is perfect.

No game is perfect. A lot of criticism thrown against Guild Wars 2 is incredibly bad and is the kind of thing ArenaNet should not listen (or have listened…) to, true. At the same time, we have some fanboys who disagree with every single criticism against the game, even when it’s constructive.

Ironically, both haters and fanboys fall for the same trap – not knowing what is constructive criticism and what isn’t. Both are not helpful for the game, and only make the game worse while ruining the community.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

This pretty much tells the story of these forums:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_-HgRfGBY

I think the most wackadoodle post I saw was this player who told a story about getting his sisters to buy the game by showing them some prelaunch concept art of some NPCs. They were so taken with the outfits the NPCs wore that they spent months planning what they were going to wear and poring over dyes, they even went out and bought fabric and created the outfits IRL (handstitched of course) and then when the game launched and those outfits weren’t available to players their dreams were dashed, their hopes destroyed, their hearts broken and of course they don’t play the game any more and now ANet is the devil and they were going to post on every fan forum to destroy the game and the whole time I’m reading it I’m like bwuh?

(edited by Karizee.8076)

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

The reason people complain is because there are legitimate concerns to be complained about. This game has issues, some of them severe. If the squeaky wheel gets too squeaky to handle, ArenaNet will apply the grease.

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

All of the above but also there would be many people, myself included, that are perfectly happy with the game as is but just don’t bother to write it.

I come from a game where the forum is full of complaints and quitters and with good reason too. I often shake my head here when I read the moans and groans because I have never had it so good.

Still, nothing is perfect and, while I am sure the developers would much rather read glowing praise, constructive criticism is probably a lot more useful for pushing the game forward.

Posted by: Mujen.5287

Mujen.5287

Watch Guild Wars 2 Manifesto, then go in game and play for couple of days, then watch it again, then compare it to GW1, then try guessing why.

Here is the thing, GW1 did well But GW2 is doing better. Even after being out for almost a year, its playerbase is still going strong. If they made GW2 just an updated version of the first one how would that make there buisness expand? Whether you like it or not Anet is a business and every company wants to be number one.

Posted by: Mujen.5287

Mujen.5287

This pretty much tells the story of these forums:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_-HgRfGBY

I think the most wackadoodle post I saw was this player who told a story about getting his sisters to buy the game by showing them some prelaunch concept art of some NPCs. They were so taken with the outfits the NPCs wore that they spent months planning what they were going to wear and poring over dyes, they even went out and bought fabric and created the outfits IRL (handstitched of course) and then when the game launched and those outfits weren’t available to players their dreams were dashed, their hopes destroyed, their hearts broken and of course they don’t play the game any more and now ANet is the devil and they were going to post on every fan forum to destroy the game and the whole time I’m reading it I’m like bwuh?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/What-the-GW2-forums-have-become/first#post2027146

:P

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Just be glad that Anet knows the forums are a minority and not the totally true face of those playing the game.

Also realize that a lot of the “nay sayer” no longer play the game and are just trolling

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

It is unfortunate. In all my years of participating and moderating various forums both game related and not, complaints are the status quo. I think part of the issue is that people who are unhappy are the most likely to find places to voice their lack of satisfaction. You see it often with most forms of customer feedback. Those that are reasonably satisfied are the least likely to provide feedback. Those that a very happy are more likely to provide feedback than the reasonably satisfied but less likely than the very unsatisfied. Around here the later is called a fanboy/fanboi. I still don’t know what that means. I’ve come to the conclusion that it has something to do with liking Justin Bieber??

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

It is unfortunate. In all my years of participating and moderating various forums both game related and not, complaints are the status quo. I think part of the issue is that people who are unhappy are the most likely to find places to voice their lack of satisfaction. You see it often with most forms of customer feedback. Those that are reasonably satisfied are the least likely to provide feedback. Those that a very happy and provide feedback are usually the smaller number. Around here the later is called a fanboy/fanboi. I still don’t know what that means. I’ve come to the conclusion that it has something to do with liking Justin Bieber??

A fanboy is someone who generally adds nothing to a discussion of a topic because they feel the need to protect whatever they are fond of at the moment. They normally refute any criticisms or active discussions by telling people to leave the game if they don’t like it, by saying that others are only trying to tear things down, by telling others they are crazy, delusional, haters. Their posts are usually not logical or helpful in any way, shape, or form, and normally use more negative words and phrases than the posts that they rail against.

Forums are here to add discussion about game mechanics, class balance, content and to provide logical feedback to the dev team from a wide variety of people who play the game. You can tell a fanboy/girl because they seldom have anything of worth to offer besides telling others to be quiet or to shut up.

This topic has quite a few of them.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

Well the thing is there’s this thing called the vocal minority. What that is is a smaller portion of the overall community being upset about something and complaining about it. This happens because the ones who aren’t upset over that thing mostly wouldn’t comment about it.

If that problem gets resolved, people don’t necessarily switch to saying positive things they just stop saying negative things, unfortunately whatever was done to appease that first group probably annoyed some other people who will then start complaining.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Paul.4081

Well the thing is there’s this thing called the vocal minority.

Vocal minority seems to work in favour of the silly. Why would you even bother if your voice is ignored? The rational have moved on.

(edited by Paul.4081)

JustTrogdor.7892

A fanboy is someone who generally adds nothing to a discussion of a topic because they feel the need to protect whatever they are fond of at the moment. They normally refute any criticisms or active discussions by telling people to leave the game if they don’t like it, by saying that others are only trying to tear things down, by telling others they are crazy, delusional, haters. Their posts are usually not logical or helpful in any way, shape, or form, and normally use more negative words and phrases than the posts that they rail against.

Forums are here to add discussion about game mechanics, class balance, content and to provide logical feedback to the dev team from a wide variety of people who play the game. You can tell a fanboy/girl because they seldom have anything of worth to offer besides telling others to be quiet or to shut up.

So is there a term for people that post on the other end of the spectrum? For example saying something like, “Such and such update is terrible and Anet doesn’t care about the players. This game is going down the toilet and everyone I know is quitting. Anet is just greedy. /endpost”

I see that type of debate fairly often as well. Usually both types of posts end up in some thread which causes a repeating cycle until the thread is 6+ pages and I’m totally lost wondering what the topic was about by page 2.

The Burninator

Krosslite.1950

Well the thing is there’s this thing called the vocal minority. What that is is a smaller portion of the overall community being upset about something and complaining about it. This happens because the ones who aren’t upset over that thing mostly wouldn’t comment about it.

If that problem gets resolved, people don’t necessarily switch to saying positive things they just stop saying negative things, unfortunately whatever was done to appease that first group probably annoyed some other people who will then start complaining.

I thought the term was “silent majority”

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: TheProphetOmega.3596

TheProphetOmega.3596

Compared to say, the Diablo 3 forums, this is a slice of heaven with constructive intelligent discussion, but I agree, many players after 3000+ hours would see the inherent flaws in this and any other game, its also true that for some rushers out there no amount of content can satisfy them in any way, and then some are looking for things in videogames that just arent there, things like happiness or a permanent cure for the boredom in our lives.

Still, trolling isnt as widespread, as it could.
Could things be different and with better attitudes overall?, sure, but that is asking too much of the Internet.

Still there are some good people in here, whose opinions and views broaden my perspectives about this creature called GW2…

I am the wonder, I am the storm.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

So is there a term for people that post on the other end of the spectrum? For example saying something like, “Such and such update is terrible and Anet doesn’t care about the players. This game is going down the toilet and everyone I know is quitting. Anet is just greedy. /endpost”

Haters.

And you are right, both are a mirror of each other that just drag the community to the mud.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

Never let the kittens wear you down, man.

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

Paul.4081

Haters.

And you are right, both are a mirror of each other that just drag the community to the mud.

yeah kittentard is banned? I laugh with my guild or I did..Nick the traveller…..guess I should focus on …..?

Paul.4081

You know what, I’m a 90’s child

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m a 70’s child. Nice to meet you.

The Burninator

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I find I enjoy the forums more if I treat them like I do the game — by reading/posting (or playing) sparingly. After reading one post by player x filled with his poisonous hatred for some aspect of the game, or read one post by player y with his passionate defense of the game, I don’t need to read the same things (phrased slightly differently) by the same posters in dozens of threads.

Tuluum.9638

After reading one post by player x filled with his poisonous hatred for some aspect of the game, or read one post by player y with his passionate defense of the game

The entirety of the interwebz summed up so succinctly! Just change around the video game specific terms like player and game, and you got it down.

Well done, you win!

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Krosslite.1950

I’m a 60’s child, and per killcannon. Paul just qualified for fanboy

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

I see that type of debate fairly often as well. Usually both types of posts end up in some thread which causes a repeating cycle until the thread is 6+ pages and I’m totally lost wondering what the topic was about by page 2.

Some call them haters, but they are usually just fanboys of something else. Take for example the constant posts about GW1 vs GW2. Most of the originators of those kinds of posts are GW1 fanboys/girls. Or you have WoW fanbots, or insert game name here. It’s not that they hate GW2 per se, but that they hate it compared to other games they really like/love. Most of the back and forth on the forums can be linked to someone being overtly and blindly loyal to a game or form of mechanic somewhere. Mounts, raids, vert progression, dailys, farming, rng, casuals vs hardcore, elitists vs bads…most of this is related to other games or play styles people really enjoy.

Trolls are not related to being a fanboy generally. These are people who don’t have a vested interest in the topic one way or another, but instead just like to inflame arguments, or start topics that they know will start a flame war and sit back and enjoy the show. You can troll (verb) though without being a troll (noun)- meaning you may be interested in the topic at hand, but instead of discussing it logically, you intentionally use round about arguments, don’t forward the topic, intentionally use troll like behavior to upset your opponents.

So there is no real opposite of fanboy, just fanboys of different things.

(edited by killcannon.2576)

Krosslite.1950

Some call them haters, but they are usually just fanboys of something else. Take for example the constant posts about GW1 vs GW2. Most of the originators of those kinds of posts are GW1 fanboys/girls. Or you have WoW fanbots, or insert game name here. It’s not that they hate GW2 per se, but that they hate it compared to other games they really like/love. Most of the back and forth on the forums can be linked to someone being overtly and blindly loyal to a game or form of mechanic somewhere. Mounts, raids, vert progression, dailys, farming, rng…most of this is related to other games people really enjoy.

Or they wish to turn other games like this one into clones of the game they are a fanboy/girl of

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The reason people complain is because they’re spoiled. They think they’re vision of the game is the only one the developers should strive to achieve. They assume their opinions are universally shared by all. And they’re often irrational and short-sighted in their complaints.

No the reason they complain is because they bought the game because of specific assurances by arenanet, which they backtracked on, and the game is not the game they were sold by the arenanet marketing prior to release. That is not being spoiled.

Now I’m not saying criticism isn’t warranted, and I’m not saying people shouldn’t discuss the ways in which they feel the game could be improved. But that’s not what this topic is about. This topic is about the malcontents who complain incessantly about everything and the irrational folks who lose their minds every time an adjustment to the game is made. That kind of complaining is what this place could do with less of.

If you want reasonable debates perhaps you shouldn’t call those with a different opinion malcontents. Very few of the people complaining about the game are trolling.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The reason people complain is because they’re spoiled. They think they’re vision of the game is the only one the developers should strive to achieve. They assume their opinions are universally shared by all. And they’re often irrational and short-sighted in their complaints.

No the reason they complain is because they bought the game because of specific assurances by arenanet, which they backtracked on, and the game is not the game they were sold by the arenanet marketing prior to release. That is not being spoiled.

Now I’m not saying criticism isn’t warranted, and I’m not saying people shouldn’t discuss the ways in which they feel the game could be improved. But that’s not what this topic is about. This topic is about the malcontents who complain incessantly about everything and the irrational folks who lose their minds every time an adjustment to the game is made. That kind of complaining is what this place could do with less of.

If you want reasonable debates perhaps you shouldn’t call those with a different opinion malcontents. Very few of the people complaining about the game are trolling.

At least one definition of malcontent is someone who is not content. So yeah, if you’re complaining, you’re not content, and therefore you could be classes as malcontent. Admittedly there are other connotations and better words could be used, but it’s not wrong.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

One tiring thing for me is how the exact same complaints come up in different threads over and over again.

For example, the complaint about grind in this game and how much grindier it is than the worse Korean game grind and how ANet promised zero grind. Thread after thread after thread. Like a swamp full of player frogs croaking out the same complaint. Some forum warrior can dash into the swamp and demolish the complaint with their greatsword of truth, but after a few seconds the player frog chorus starts up again “Grind, grind, grind, grind, grind, grind”.

Posted by: Torqueblue.1945

Torqueblue.1945

Why yes I do. Then again I have my reason for wanting it. Not for money , nor fame. Just cause.

Scotch and Pills, what could possibly go wrong? – Max Payne

Posted by: Resonance.4216

Resonance.4216

Dude, the forum is optional, you don’t have to come here.

Elementalist of Oceanix [OCX]
http://www.oceanix.com.au

Posted by: Resonance.4216

Resonance.4216

I disagree, I feel the tone has become “get as angry as possible without getting your posts hidden”.

Note the avalanche of “kitten RNG” posts that have mysteriously disappeared since the event started.

They did it wrong.

Elementalist of Oceanix [OCX]
http://www.oceanix.com.au

Posted by: Balkanwarrior.5132

Balkanwarrior.5132

I disagree, I feel the tone has become “get as angry as possible without getting your posts hidden”.

Note the avalanche of “kitten RNG” posts that have mysteriously disappeared since the event started.

They did it wrong.

Duh. That’s where the real fun is. Infraction points = achievement points

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

I don’t know how complete strangers can have such an effect on you. Who really cares what they think, if you like the game and they don’t then their opinion really is irrelevant. The Devs have probably read every bit of criticism a thousand times over, they probably even laugh about certain forum posters and their predictable reaction to content before it even comes out.

What they need on the forums is a ‘block’ or ‘ignore’ feature so we can filter out the people we don’t want to read anything from. ArenaNet could probably monitor that and if a particular user had a high number of ‘ignores’ they might want to investigate why.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

I play Eng and necro as alt. The ONLY part of the forum that feels good reading it, for me, where most of the people seam to have stable thinking pathways is the Thief sub-forum.

Paul.4081

I’m a 60’s child, and per killcannon. Paul just qualified for fanboy

I’m a fanboy now? Christ how the hell did that happen. Fanboy of GW1 yes but not this game