So lvl 90 coming soon?

So lvl 90 coming soon?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: An Siorai Tharian.4516

An Siorai Tharian.4516

My only complaint is that at our current level cap (80) the PC and a group of friends (mostly Destinies Edge) are capable of taking down one of the Elder Dragons.

Add in an additional 20 to 40 levels, and I would argue that the Elder Dragons would be child’s play to us at that point. Whatever we fight once we hit level 100 to 120 would have to be so much more epic than the Elder Dragons, as to make it seem like Robin Hood and his Merry Men or Richard the Lion Heart and the Crusaders actually would have stood a chance if they went up against the strongest member of the Cthulu Mythos (Azathoth by my reckoning as far as raw power goes).

That said, I still say that The Doctor could Dues Ex Machina his way into a victory over all 6 of the Elder Dragons and still be considered a Level 1 character as far as Guild Wars 2 is concerned.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA
Ranger 80 | Elementalist 30 | Guardian 29 | Necromancer 21

(edited by An Siorai Tharian.4516)

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

My only complaint is that at our current level cap (80) the PC and a group of friends (mostly Destinies Edge) are capable of taking down one of the Elder Dragons.

Add in an additional 20 to 40 levels, and I would argue that the Elder Dragons would be child’s play to us at that point. Whatever we fight once we hit level 100 to 120 would have to be so much more epic than the Elder Dragons, as to make it seem like Robin Hood and his Merry Men or Richard the Lion Heart and the Crusaders actually would have stood a chance if they went up against the strongest member of the Cthulu Mythos (Azathoth by my reckoning as far as raw power goes).

Levels are arbitrary though. It takes a lvl5 just as long to kill a lvl5 bandit as a lvl80 takes to kill a lvl80 undead warlock or w/e.

Levels are just in the game to say “you can’t go over there yet until you go over here and do A, B, and C first.”

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

Aye, levels are a gameplay mechanic. Nothing more, they don’t actually exist in the world.

No NPC runs up to you and says “you aren’t a high enough level for this area, head back!”.
They run up and say “You might not be strong enough for this area, perhaps headback?” instead for a reason.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

An Siorai Tharian.4516

Substance E, what is your point? The only reason levels are arbitrary in Guild Wars 2 is because of the scaling system that says “Level 80 characters are automatically rendered as helpless as level 4 to 15 characters the instant they step foot in any of the starter zones.” If it weren’t for that then if a Level 80 Character were to duel a level 4 character (assuming a Dueling system were installed into the game that didn’t utilize scaling), then the level 4 character would die in 1 hit just like in every other game.

EDIT: And actually, yes, there is an NPC that says “You aren’t high enough level for this area yet.” Caledon Forest, if you try to go into the Ogham Wilds section of the Forest before you hit level 6ish, you will hear an NPC yelling at you telling you that it is too dangerous.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

They could increase the level cap without increasing gear grind. For example, you can now level beyond 80, but all it does is increase your base stats and gives you more trait points to spend. So a level 90 player essentially has 80 trait points and more stats, but his gear remains the same.

WvW and sPvP could still be fixed at 80; anyone higher than 80 gets scaled back down.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Substance E.4852

Substance E, what is your point? The only reason levels are arbitrary in Guild Wars 2 is because of the scaling system that says “Level 80 characters are automatically rendered as helpless as level 4 to 15 characters the instant they step foot in any of the starter zones.” If it weren’t for that then if a Level 80 Character were to duel a level 4 character (assuming a Dueling system were installed into the game that didn’t utilize scaling), then the level 4 character would die in 1 hit just like in every other game.

EDIT: And actually, yes, there is an NPC that says “You aren’t high enough level for this area yet.” Caledon Forest, if you try to go into the Ogham Wilds section of the Forest before you hit level 6ish, you will hear an NPC yelling at you telling you that it is too dangerous.

Uh, my point was that we could be lvl 9000 and we wouldn’t curb stomp anything because all our enemies would also lvl 9000 and would take the time to kill as when we were lvl 9 which was your point in the post I quoted.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

An Siorai Tharian.4516

OMG, obligatory DBZ Abridged quote

But yes, I realize that. The point I was raising is that the gear we currently have would be obsoleted, at least in theory, if they did raise the level cap.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Substance E.4852

OMG, obligatory DBZ Abridged quote

But yes, I realize that. The point I was raising is that the gear we currently have would be obsoleted, at least in theory, if they did raise the level cap.

Worst case scenario we would get more powerful infusions which I believe they hinted at when they announced ascended gear for the first time.

However, the backlash over pink gear has been so massive, any more tread milling is highly unlikely and the most we could hope for is new traits/skills.

We won’t even get more trait points because they can’t even handle the system as is. Letting people equip more traits would be a nightmare to deal with which is why they went from a game that had way too many skills to a game that has way too few.

If we ever get a lvl increase it will be mostly a cosmetic number to make people feel good but I can’t see us ever getting stronger stats. Not until the game really starts dying and they throw a Hail Mary and try to draw in the classic MMO folks to stay afloat.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

But really, while I wouldn’t mind it, assuming the above limitations are implimented, right now, what exactly would be the point of a level cap increase? If they want to do it, fine, but make sure it’s not “just for the sake of it”.

A level cap increase would only be to introduce new gear. There’s really no other reason to increase it. If they wanted to give you more traits, there’s alternate ways.

When ascended gear was introduced, they noted that normally, it was something they would have only done in an expansion, but there was an exotic emergency back then and they were forced to due to complaints. Once they’re completely done with ascended, included all the upgrades they can possibly throw on (ie, ascended infusions, runes, sigils), they will either do nothing (dropped the thought of vertical progression), increase the level cap or add another tier like ascended all over again. This won’t happen for another year at the very least, and I wouldn’t expect it to happen for another 2-3 years. Something major has to happen first.

If they were to increase the level cap, and not give you new gear, you would be weaker than you are now due to how scaling works.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Inverted.7439

Inverted.7439

Are you serious OP? Posting a post about lvl 90 coming soon on THAT basis? That’s just sad man… The information given could be for lvl 200 and it could come in 5 years. They say stuff like that to keep us informed that there still will be progression to work towards in the future.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Not until the game really starts dying and they throw a Hail Mary and try to draw in the classic MMO folks to stay afloat.

Agreed!!! This game will be in serious trouble if they introduce things like:
Dailies
Stand in a circle 50 times
Kill 100 Dolyaks
Complete 50 door events
Press F 24 times around the world
20000 candy corn for a mini.

And maybe do those every 2 weeks or 1 month.
Of course, the last one would be for the truly insane, or perhaps they’ll purchase them off the trading post by farm for gold instead via a champ train, which might encourage farming behavior.
Things like that would mean they’re trying to draw in the classic MMO folks, and that would definitely be a bad sign for this game.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

This makes me so mad. When they release ascended armor, why bother, if it will end up being obsolete in a future release?

To keep people grinding.

I will probably stop playing if they will do lvl 90 and I will have to recreate all ascended items from lvl 80 to 90.

I don’t enjoy the grind…

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

You want only 10 levels?That is not enough at all.I want atleast 20 so my characters can hit the 100th lvl in the expansion.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

According to ArenaNet’s Mike O, we can expect a lvl cap increase in the coming future. Here is the quote below:

“More generally, I hope we’ve been clear that GW2 is not a game with virtually no stat progression in it like GW1 was. That’s why GW2 shipped with a higher level cap, and with a hard separation between PvE and PvP. In GW1 we never advanced the level cap through four campaigns/expansions. The game design didn’t allow for it. But GW2 was designed without those restrictions, and we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2”

Now, I hope when this does happen, we will get new lvl 90 zones to play in with new permanent content, basically an expansion. Also throw in a new villain in our personal story since Zhaitan is dead. (preferably they make Trahearne into a villain, a man who allow the taste of power to corrupt him).

Also when this happens, would legendaries automatically get bump up to lvl 90 as well with new stats?

So is this in the works for 2014?

Makes sense since ascended armor will come out. We will be needing it if they release a map with higher lvl of foes.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

This makes me so mad. When they release ascended armor, why bother, if it will end up being obsolete in a future release?

To keep people grinding.

I will probably stop playing if they will do lvl 90 and I will have to recreate all ascended items from lvl 80 to 90.

I don’t enjoy the grind…

A few dungeon run should do it. I dont see any problem getting to 90. After all dungeon run are part of everyday routine now..

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

To keep people grinding.

They said Ascended would be max tear, but since gw2 is full of bad decisions, something like this would not surprise me at all, they cant evolve teh game so they a add dumb stuff.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

To keep people grinding.

They said Ascended would be max tear, but since gw2 is full of bad decisions, something like this would not surprise me at all, they cant evolve teh game so they a add dumb stuff.

And a level cap raise would stop it being max tier how? It’d still be max tier, there’d just be level 90 variants available.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

To keep people grinding.

And a level cap raise would stop it being max tier how? It’d still be max tier, there’d just be level 90 variants available.

True… very true, tks for point that out :]
Guess i misunderstanded…, but actually the actuall gear could be used from 80 to 90, there isnt the requirement of add gear with more stats besides.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

They shouldn’t raise the cap, they should cut it in half.

Heheh, I’m with you. End-game starts at level 30.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain