So what happens to Southsun?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

It will fade away but always remembered for the failure it was.

Posted by: Aluano.1826

Aluano.1826

Hopefully they’ll add something cool to the zone so people will go there instead of Orr.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

How to kill karka:
[snip]

The thread isn’t questioning how to kill them. The point here is that the zone is purposeless.

Yet most here are saying that its too hard to even set foot there. Sounds more like a L2P issue to me.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

The jump puzzle is fun if you like repetition?

Posted by: mattbnh.9247

mattbnh.9247

I go to visit Owain. She’s just so cute.

Seriously, the young Karks drop bupkis, (either nada or junk) and the riders not much better.
The scales and drakes are easier to kill but the rewards are little better.
Once you try a few jumps on the puzzle and realize that sucks too, you’re gone.
Improve the drop rates and people would go there.

“That’s more than I really needed to know.” – Adventurer in LA

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

On occasion I go there just because I like the area and I like the Karka as an enemy. It’s nice having a zone full of high hp mobs – Lotro did it with its Limlight Gorge zone and it went down really well.

I’d love a real reason to go there though. I don’t mind the rich orichalcum node going, I just want to see more added to it, even if its just vistas and quests and a few more DE’s

Posted by: Hughs.6549

Hughs.6549

I really hope they improve southsun in the future and pray so they don’t release such empty maps anymore ! But except for those maps where dungeons & dragons are located (and orr), why would you think that the other maps are better than southsun ?

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

Yet another post?

The devs have already outlined on these forums that new activities and DEs will be added to Southsun. They will be introduced when theyre ready and im sure they will bring some life back to Southsun. As for the difficulty of Southsun I personally think its just right, The little karkas are a challenge on-on-one and the big ones ‘require’ a group to kill. Its the way CS should be but isnt.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Posted by: Blueshield.6291

Blueshield.6291

The thread isn’t questioning how to kill them. The point here is that the zone is purposeless.

Yet most here are saying that its too hard to even set foot there. Sounds more like a L2P issue to me.

Most? Sounds like a L2R issue to me.

A few, certainly. But I think you’re largely misinterpreting a statement that the effort of navigating Southsun (approximately equivalent to Orr currently, I’d gauge) is not worth the two top-tier ore and wood nodes, compared to the effort of navigating Orr for its five top-tier nodes per zone (adjacent zones, at that) and comparative abundance of other materials; for a statement that it’s “too hard.”

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

Simply needs to be a reason to go there and at the moment there isnt.

I though i would farm there a while for flowers spent hours there for 1 flower, farmed the Kakas easy enough on a ranger, pet takes the machine gun opening after that their easy, some thing like 6 shells from three days and some junk

Not an easy place to get about, not a beginer friendly place and not worth your time drop wise i like the zone i wish i could find a reason to go there but there isnt.

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

Maybe in the future updates we can have some sort of encore of the loss shores event and we have to go back and kill another boss for whatever reason that the developers can invent. Actually really like the idea of standing together with dozens of my online peers and setting off to some distant land for some one-time only (although it could be two or three times only just to appease the people who can make it to the event) big boss fight and exploration of a new area. The deftly was a epic rush of adrenaline I got when fighting along with all my peers that was different from fighting in a mob for a dynamic event that you know what always be there. One-time events definitely at their own flavor to the game.

The one-time event definitely shouldn’t beat some cut scene like the Mac came bursting out of the fountain, but a one time fight events that pits players into a battle. Again it doesn’t have to be one time anymore, because I do feel sorry for players who missed the event. Maybe have it be two or three times but you can only completed once or at least only completed once for a reward. That way you won’t have people complaining that some guy could get the reward three times while he can only get once. And plus this would mean players would be re-attending the event because they had fun and wanted to be there again, rather than feeling like they have to grind out some reward.

Certainly they should nt just abandon this area and try to sweep it under the rug trying to forget about the bugginess and disconnect issues that led to the failure of the lost shores event. The loss shores really is a beautiful zone and I really enjoyed being there for the atmosphere. They should still strive to make these events once in a while but not try to rush themselves into doing one every month because then the quality really declines. My guess is that they really trying to push the loss shores event so soon because they wanted to impress players during the free trial. It would be something that no other MMO had done and could create a lot of buzz around the Internet. It certainly was a great idea, just poorly implemented due to technical constraints.

These one-time boss fight events don’t really have to be that complex on that game mechanic level because the more complex it is the more of a chance that there will be bugs. The real appeal isn’t the complexity of the boss fight but rather that it is a one-time only thing and you are there with everyone else experiencing it for the one and only time.

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

How to kill karka:
[snip]

No, your post seems like a L2R issue. See what I did there? XD

The problem is, Orr have temples, and they reward chests. There are karma venders and a number of DEs to keep you going.
Southsun doesn’t have any chests, and even the enemy drops are almost non-existant. There are no special vendors, and the DEs are scant.

The point of the OP is, there isn’t any rewards, at all. There’s no point in spending time there. There’s no L2P issues, because even if you know how to play good, you still wont get anything out of Southsun, no matter how insane good you are.

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

Yeah it’s mostly pointless and should be fixed, but I go there anyway to farm karka and the jumping puzzles.

I didn’t need that rich ori to go there. It seems kinda gimmicky and shady that the only reason anyone was there was to farm the hell out of that one node. I say good riddance.

Theres a lot wrong with the place, but the absolute biggest complaint I have is that the huge veteran karka drop NOTHING. Why the hell are they there, so big and so tough, if you kill them and they drop nothing? To troll apparently. It doesn’t even do that well, because people have to be paying attention to them for the trolling to work. Everyone already knows they’re worthless.

Posted by: Churros.7196

Churros.7196

Southsun….

Boring graphically imo… So bland..

Having 1000’s of the same karkas don’t help either. At least orr zombies have a variety.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Hopefully they’ll add something cool to the zone so people will go there instead of Orr.

I always though that sooner or later there will be access to the Depths of Tyria.

Southsun would be great to place one of such gates, where the volcano is now.
It could appear after Primordious is added to the world (and defeated in the story) the lava would go down, leaving behind a hole.
Once the hole is there, the meta-event could be brought back, renewed, and the end result is the hole to the Deapths being accessible.

Another example would be Kessex Haven. That place totally looks like a door to somewhere deep underground.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

For a while there was some good mob farming off the southeast end in the waters, but that seems to have been dumbed down. I ran into an actual player there for the first time last night, every other time I had the map to myself.

Posted by: Fook.3914

Fook.3914

not gonna waste my time on southsun since the rich node is remove, add a dungeon or something interesting. other than that its a dead map.

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

How to kill karka:
[snip]

Tarnished Coast is all about guides now, let ’em be. :P

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Am I the only one that would be completely okay if they removed southsun and pretended it never happened? It really adds nothing to the game world, even if they add more events and content to it, neither the area nor anything in it feel like they belong in the game world.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: pdboddy.4162

pdboddy.4162

do not understand the need to limit the amount of ori node to so few around Tyria.

It’s too cheap, says their economist. Does not promote gem sales. Makes the rest of the legendary mats seem even more ridiculously overpriced.

Got a link to that statement?