So where is all the people?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rynarx.6124

Rynarx.6124

I have answered it in my previous messages. Read up.

From a programming standpoint, you have to make it the amount of registered users on the server.

You’re not answering the question. Still.

Why do the servers go down from full to high every morning.

There is a simple answer to this, they are probably counting registered users on the server that have login recently (definition of recently only Arenanet knows), any account that have not login recently are probably archived. And then they count all accounts that are not archived. The archival processes are usually fairly heavy on their databases so it’s probably done only daily at a time when there are less people using the servers like early morning.

Hence this results in early mornings there are always slots open in servers after the old accounts are archived.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

[snip]
Level a profession? I don’t have the money to do that. Have you seen the prices of materials on the Trading Post? Since I’m honest and don’t bot, I don’t have the mats or the money. I don’t have the time to farm up all the stuff needed. I’m a working adult, yada yada. I just wanted to casually log on for a couple hours after work and play around in the world, just like I used to do in Guild Wars.
[snip]
WAKE UP ARENANET!

Yes, agree with everything and especially the above about mats and crafting. It simply doesn’t work. The mats you gain by adventuring (or hardcore farming) are a pittance compared to what is required to level a crafting discipline. It just isn’t happening in this game without the gem store. It would probably take a year to level one discipline naturally in line with how they’ve tuned the economy. That’s a problem in an MMO as you generally need a way to support yourself. Cash seems to be the way they’ve chosen. I would much prefer a subscription to a rewarding game than to have to pay hundreds of dollars to do anything meaningful in the game. They are obviously no longer guided by a vision of making rewarding games to play and that’s sad. They were really good at the vision thing, at least the statement part of the vision thing.

Posted by: FourTwenty.4268

FourTwenty.4268

Server population is not players online at that time, it’s players registered to that server.

Yes, it’s full of accounts of people who aren’t playing.

doubt it

my friend just got the game and sat refreshing the server list for 15 minutes until SoS went from full to very heavy so he could roll on the server I’m on.

so it changes based on how many people are on at the moment. i doubt he was able to get on the server because people were moving OFF the server. . .and i doubt it was from people getting banned from the game entirely

Posted by: FourTwenty.4268

FourTwenty.4268

I have answered it in my previous messages. Read up.

From a programming standpoint, you have to make it the amount of registered users on the server.

You’re not answering the question. Still.

Why do the servers go down from full to high every morning.

There is a simple answer to this, they are probably counting registered users on the server that have login recently (definition of recently only Arenanet knows), any account that have not login recently are probably archived. And then they count all accounts that are not archived. The archival processes are usually fairly heavy on their databases so it’s probably done only daily at a time when there are less people using the servers like early morning.

Hence this results in early mornings there are always slots open in servers after the old accounts are archived.

probably? see now you’re just guessing. you have no idea lol

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

The amount of people online does affect it I’m sure but it’s not just that. So a lot of times servers can be heavy or full and not actually have tons of people online.

There’s no telling really what makes a full server full…not in full detail anyways.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

Would be great if they posted actual numbers instead of words, but no MMO does this.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

you won’t see me or my friends on tarnished coast until they address this horrendous loot problem where they are actively and deliberately herding us to the gem store to buy gold to do anything in the game anymore. It’s ridiculous. I am so disgusted by the blatant greed and lack of regard for this issue that I can’t even bring myself to login. until they do something about it it can sit on my shelf and collect dust.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

In lvling zones ppl are usually busy doing just that. In LA there is constant yell chat, same in the other major cities. The forums seems active to me. WvWvW have a lot of folks. Always 15/16 servers on SPvP.

Posted by: Slappy.7190

Slappy.7190

Server population is not players online at that time, it’s players registered to that server.

doubt it

my friend just got the game and sat refreshing the server list for 15 minutes until SoS went from full to very heavy so he could roll on the server I’m on.

so it changes based on how many people are on at the moment. i doubt he was able to get on the server because people were moving OFF the server. . .and i doubt it was from people getting banned from the game entirely

It would be because someone xferred off that server.Took me 2 weeks to xfer to where I wanted and the server was full even at 4:00-5:00 am.

When the recruit a friend happened a few weekends back all servers were available and that’s when I xferred.My server has been full every time I checked since.It’s pretty obvious that it’s based on account’s and not people online,when I sit on a full server yet the online pop fluctuates highly throughout the day,yet always full.

Same thing happened in other recent mmo releases and there’s always a lot of denial in the forums when online pop drops,but it is what it is.

Posted by: Mike.9451

Mike.9451

Taking a break because Im bored. I don’t see any point of doing anything at 80. I could go farm gear but for what purpose? Why? So I can’t sit in Lions Arch and try and look cool?

In most tradition MMO’s you’d have factions or some sort of open World PvP. THAT HAPPENED ON YOUR OWN SERVER. You could go out, get a group of friends, raid a camp, then start a massive PvP war right in the middle of the World. I miss that. Guild Wars 2 doesn’t offer that. And World Vs. World is not fun. So I’m not really sure what to make of this game.

Other people have quit due to other reasons, but I’m just flat out bored and have no motivation to keep playing. But I come back and play from time to time because this game is free. Meh…

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

Same thing happened in other recent mmo releases and there’s always a lot of denial in the forums when online pop drops,but it is what it is.

Same thing happens when every game releases, and every expansion:

1. Game is released→ Players: Yay! Life is perfect, I never sleep again!
2. People get bored → Players: Game isn’t like it was. You ruined it! Make it better.
3. Pop decreases → Players: It’s dying! It’s dying! Game dev killed the game!
4. Rumors of big change → Players: Maybe just one last time…

Seriously… I’ve been watching the forums on a few recent releases. Same threads everywhere.

I’m looking forward to about February when things have gotten stable around here.

In the mean time, wait until after the Christmas rush (kiddies get the game for Christmas, etc) and then when population stabilizes, move to the type of server (high pop/low pop) you want.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Posted by: Dominae.3146

Dominae.3146

doubt it

PrX, a pretty big WvW guild actually just left SoS for Seafarer’s Rest (Euro server). So, if you know any other friends that want to play with you there, have them join fast before the rest of the slots gets gobbled up