Solved, thank you :)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

I have a gaming computer. I run Teq on ultra settings without lag…

Until tonight. At each burn phase, my game was halted to an absolute standstill. This has never happened in my entire time playing GW2 and it was only during the burn phases. I crashed at the last burn.

So I have to ask, what the kitten did Anet do to the game? One day, no lag, next freezing screens and crashes?

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

When you say standstill, does that mean a literal freeze as if your screen has turned into a photo? Or a disconnect so that you’ll see other players running into a wall or standing still doing nothing?

If the former, do you have any other programs running while playing GW2? I know of quite a few things that can cause a hindrance to frame rate, at some points making it seem standstill. Further, it could also be possible that your client didn’t install correctly (although very unlikely) or that your hardware could be in a little worse for wear – though I am very inexperienced with tech.

If it was the latter, random disconnects like that have been occurring since the launch of the game, and you should consider yourself lucky to have only just encountered one.

Also see if the problems persist or if it was just a one-off crash.

Posted by: Arobain.8274

Arobain.8274

Until tonight. At each burn phase, my game was halted to an absolute standstill. This has never happened in my entire time playing GW2 and it was only during the burn phases. I crashed at the last burn.

So I have to ask, what the kitten did Anet do to the game? One day, no lag, next freezing screens and crashes?

get lag, instantly blame Anet, what logic

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Yeah, I haven’t crashed or anything but I have noticed extreme lag at teq lately. I never used to be so laggy at teq.

Posted by: sarasvatri.6871

sarasvatri.6871

Has been fine for me since last patch. Might have been isolated incident. Computers crash sometimes.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

speaking about crash, i have been getting my game freeze at the loading screen frequently lately i had to restart the game or even worse restart the pc…

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I think it may be time for a new computer, that is, if your current graphics card and CPU can’t handle mass World Boss fights. Your hardware might have burned out.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Akamaru.7415

Akamaru.7415

I think it may be time for a new computer, that is, if your current graphics card and CPU can’t handle mass World Boss fights. Your hardware might have burned out.

This is sortof true, but at the same time graphics cards are never designed to handle that much anyway.

I haven’t noticed any new problems.

Aerlen.5326

Yeah, here’s the thing – it wasn’t just me. Someone else had their screen freeze then everything running at twice normal speed. Someone else said they suddenly had a 1.4k ping at burn.

It was fine yesterday. The day before. The week before. And in every other part of the game today besides Tequatl burn phases. In fact, this is the first time this has ever happened. Usually when a graphics card is reaching the end of it’s capabilities – I start noticing increasing lag and inability to handle basic rendering. That’s not what happened here which leads me to think it’s the game – especially with other players having odd glitches.

My screen froze. Completely. Then abruptly resumed after the burn phase. I’ll try it again tonight with nothing but GW2 running and see if I get a repeat.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Yeah, here’s the thing – it wasn’t just me. Someone else had their screen freeze then everything running at twice normal speed. Someone else said they suddenly had a 1.4k ping at burn.

It was fine yesterday. The day before. The week before. And in every other part of the game today besides Tequatl burn phases. In fact, this is the first time this has ever happened. Usually when a graphics card is reaching the end of it’s capabilities – I start noticing increasing lag and inability to handle basic rendering. That’s not what happened here which leads me to think it’s the game – especially with other players having odd glitches.

My screen froze. Completely. Then abruptly resumed after the burn phase. I’ll try it again tonight with nothing but GW2 running and see if I get a repeat.

That person is hitting a major lag spike. That explains why the character would run at 2x speed, since the server is catching your client up. But in lag spikes, you don’t freeze. Your character moves freely, and everyone either stops moving, or moves in a constant direction that they last moved. With the latter, look at your mini map, and watch your ally dots move. You’ll see that some will keep moving until they hit an obstacle. Others will keep moving in the same direction off the map. In this case, it’s the ISP that’s having issues.

If you freeze completely, that’s your system. If it’s Anet, then everyone on the map would experience the same as you, not just a person here and there.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

My only question is when is the last time you gave the inside of your pc a good dusting? With summer and temps climbing in most of the world; a dust filled computer only gets hotter and hotter thus causing game slowdowns, freezes and crashes.

If you or anyone reading has never opened your pc and cleaned it out, here’s your reminder to do so. Get a can of air and blow the dust right on out. Your pc and games will thank you.

May not fix everyone’s problem, but it’s surprising how often a dusty pc leads to lower game performance issues. So give it a try.

Aerlen.5326

I’ll go ahead and open it up – fall cleaning is a bit off but it can’t hurt. Just odd it’s happening all the sudden like this and with others having issues, it seemed to not be just my machine.

Will give a cleaning to the rig and test with no other programs running.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: Skady.5916

Skady.5916

I think you should start with testing your rig before you blame everything on ANet. especially since other players do Tequatl just fine and don’t notice any difference.

A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting.
-Carlos Castaneda
Skady Valda

Posted by: cagiepoo.8162

cagiepoo.8162

I used to have the same problem… constant game crashes at teq or any highly-populated world event. But I was also running the game on Ultra settings. Once I changed my graphic settings to auto-detect I haven’t had any crashes since then.

Fortitudinem et honorem

[iQ] Intrinsic Quality

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

If it’s Anets problem, everyone would have lagged out/DC’d.
Get a hoover in your PC, make sure it’s running as cool as possible, did this the other day myself and my temps dropped under heavy load.

Kitten.

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

Get a hoover in your PC, make sure it’s running as cool as possible, did this the other day myself and my temps dropped under heavy load.

By hoover I hope you don’t mean vacuum… That would be very bad for your PC…

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Haleydawn.3764

By hoover I hope you don’t mean vacuum… That would be very bad for your PC…

I use it on my dust filters :P then pressured air inside.

Kitten.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I encountered stuttering during the teq event as well. My pc is more then capable of running gw2 and I haven’t had this issue since beta. Not sure if it is driver related or server side but there is massive hitching.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

Not really. There was an update a few months ago that was so problematic that Anet asked players to post their hardware because it was necessary to correct on an individual basis for certain configurations.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

get lag, instantly blame Anet, what logic

And then post, not in the bug forum, but in the general discussion forum.
EDIT: or technical support.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Not really. There was an update a few months ago that was so problematic that Anet asked players to post their hardware because it was necessary to correct on an individual basis for certain configurations.

That’s the point: in that case, lots of people noticed and ANet did troubleshoot and make some adjustments (although the issue only affected some people, not everyone).

In this case, the vast majority aren’t seeing the issues the OP described, which suggests an issue on the OP’s side: rig, internal network|wireless|cable, ISP, or even the ISP’s ISP. (Some ISPs will throttle service for some users some of the time.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I used to have the same problem… constant game crashes at teq or any highly-populated world event. But I was also running the game on Ultra settings. Once I changed my graphic settings to auto-detect I haven’t had any crashes since then.

Crashed on Ultra happen because the client runs out of memory, its mostly
better to reduce at least the character limit.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Mortur.4695

Mortur.4695

+1 to reduced character limit. Downed Teq last week with nice n smooth gameplay, on ultra, but my char limit was set to minimum. I used to CTD at world boss events until I started reducing char limit before the fight (just leave name labels on). Smooth fights.

Haleydawn.3764

In this case, the vast majority aren’t seeing the issues the OP described, which suggests an issue on the OP’s side: rig, internal network|wireless|cable, ISP, or even the ISP’s ISP. (Some ISPs will throttle service for some users some of the time.)

Good catch! Prime time ISP throttling can reap havoc on Adsl interwebs.

Kitten.

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

I’ve been playing since April. I’ve never had a crash until a few days ago, during Tequatl. After I had another today, I got suspicious and checked my temps which seemed high. I checked my dust filters, and sure enough, they were pretty bad. So, if you haven’t checked that, it’s a good idea.

Posted by: Goo.7926

Goo.7926

Don’t you see? They have broke the entire game right now!

And they don’t even give a kitten!

Zalladi.4652

Don’t you see? They have broke the entire game right now!

And they don’t even give a kitten!

At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but I can’t decide after looking at your previous posts. Otherwise, if you aren’t, I don’t think hyperbole is the best way to get a point across; tequatl isn’t exactly the entire game. If you are being sarcastic, ignore me and my poor skill at recognizing sarcasm.

Attachments:

Posted by: Goo.7926

Goo.7926

I meant they are wrong on so many levels right now…

Aerlen.5326

Blah blah blah. Jerks need not reply :p

Thank you to Koomaster. I open up and clean my computer 4x per year so I was sure it was fine. It was not. Never underestimate the ability of a spider to spin a web on your graphics card fan and then die there – gumming up the stupid thing.

I blew it out with my handy air can and boom, no more Tequatl issues. Not even while running other programs. Back to a perfect 15 FPS on ultra during Teq.

Thank you to everyone who offered solutions that it might be on my end and things to check as well as explaining lag spikes and such. No thanks to the jerkfaces with nothing constructive to contribute.

Mods, feel free to delete.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Glad you were able to get things fixed, Aerlen. Thanks for letting us know.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Thanks.6859

Thanks.6859

From what I heard 2 days ago some American servers crashed so they got a lot of people even with the name OVERFLOW in there name its real bad lag to

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Mods, feel free to delete.

Actually, it would be nice if they kept it and/or moved it over to support so it might pop up if other people are having problems and forget to clean out their computer from time to time. Or maybe edit the post up top with a “Resolved:” and put a link down to your update post here.

Glad you are back in business.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

I play on 3 computers, an i7 win8 laptop on medium, an i7/gtx980 pc on ultra, and an old winxp high-end gaming pc on low.

All three have shown a noticeable drop in FPS at boss fights lately.

Also, Karka Queen, Teq and Vinewrath sometimes crash the game on the laptop and old pc. On the new pc, when its bad, it holds the fps above 30 even during burn on ultra, but it used to stay above 60, and occasionally gets a quick black screen from lag.

All of this began within last month.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

Speaking of which… if you finish more than half of a boss fight and crash… you should keep a server slot to return to the map the fight was on for at least say 3 minutes… Spending an hour to get kicked at 50%, only to log back 30 seconds later to an empty zone sucks, and it’s becoming a repetitive issue.

Zalladi.4652

Speaking of which… if you finish more than half of a boss fight and crash… you should keep a server slot to return to the map the fight was on for at least say 3 minutes… Spending an hour to get kicked at 50%, only to log back 30 seconds later to an empty zone sucks, and it’s becoming a repetitive issue.

I completely agree; I’ve found myself beginning to avoid long world bosses mainly as it is so common to randomly disconnect and lose my space in the map, even with a party. I had put a suggestion on these forums for two ways Anet might fix the issue, but that didn’t really go anywhere.