Some straight answers.

Some straight answers.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I’m going to keep this as best I can in the “constructive” ball field of things, however it’s a subject that I get a little passionate about.

In the realm of communication between Arenanet and the players, I have constantly found myself feeling stonewalled when asking questions of Arenanet.

While some questions are never answered, the ones that do get attention are generally answered in cryptic fashion. Often times this lead to speculation as to the real answer, as well as breeds distrust among players who feel they can’t get the truth out of Arenanet.

Some examples that I’ve seen:

1. For the past year +months (since game start), people have been asking about mounts in GW2. Leaving the door open on this is great if you have any intention of doing something like that in the future, but good grief. If the structure of the code in GW2 can’t handle it, making it literally impossible to do, quit stringing players out with the hope of getting mounts and ADMIT IT. Don’t try and lead people on in hopes that they’ll spend more gems while waiting around for you to give an answer they don’t want to hear.

2. Precursor crafting. Again, if you cannot implement crafting of current precursors (i.e. The Lover), then ADMIT IT. Stop leading people on. Head devs have eluded to precursor crafting for some time, but the commentary has been consistently vague, leaving things wide open for Arenanet to introduce crafting, but only for precursors that are used to make new legendaries that have yet to be introduced.
Face the facts on it. Yes, if you come out and admit that you can’t, or won’t implement crafting for current precursors, then I will stop playing for a while until something else catches my attention. Big Deal. Look at my gem purchases for the past half year. It won’t go much lower than that.

3. Player/Guild housing. Can your software handle such a thing, or no? If we will never get guild halls or player housing because the original devs were not given the go ahead to structure the code to allow such things, SAY SO.

One of the worst types of deception is to string people along by toying with their dreams and desires when you know for a fact that you can never deliver on what they wish for. It is unethical, and in some cases cruel. Arenanet needs to grow up and start communicating the cold facts about some of these things to the playerbase, and simply accept that people will leave the game. Stop obsessing so much over the short term, because in the long term you’ll risk suffering a much larger player loss when the truth comes out on it’s own, instead of being up front about things with players now.

My personal questions right now that I’d like straight, truthful, answers on are many, but here’s a couple:

1. Will I ever be able to craft The Lover?
2. Why does Arenanet refuse to fix the visual/physical end of the plank in the Troll’s End jumping puzzle? (and don’t say “it’s challenging”. The dumb thing is so far off the mark it’s luaghable.)
3. Why can’t rangers permanently stow their pets?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Some straight answers.

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

1. Mounts, no, just no
2. PRecursor crafting will come soon (the only confirmed thing of your questions)
3. Those were mentioned in 2009-2010, not confirmed, so maybe in the future, but don’t wait for it

1. yes, but it will be pretty hard and buying it of the tp might still be easier (speculation)
2.uh, because it isn’t so important?
3. they can’t? I haven’t played ranger yet.

EDIT: looking at your blog, just stop playing if you hate the game that much. Why even bother if you don’t like it? (not trying to be rude, but just take a break for a couple of months, it might make the game fun again, if you ever found it to be fun…)

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

(edited by wouw.5837)

Some straight answers.

Neural.1824

1. Mounts, no, just no
2. PRecursor crafting will come soon (the only confirmed thing of your questions)
3. Those were mentioned in 2009-2010, not confirmed, so maybe in the future, but don’t wait for it

1. yes, but it will be pretty hard and buying it of the tp might still be easier (speculation)
2.uh, because it isn’t so important?
3. they can’t? I haven’t played ranger yet.

EDIT: looking at your blog, just stop playing if you hate the game that much. Why even bother if you don’t like it? (not trying to be rude, but just take a break for a couple of months, it might make the game fun again, if you ever found it to be fun…)

Did you even read my post, or did you just skim it and assume that you know what I said? I made my point quite clear in regards to precursor crafting. Arenanet has not stated at any point that the current precursors will be able to be crafted. They have only made statements that “you will be able to craft precursors in the future” which was stated right along side the info about new legendary weapons. They refuse to verify that their statements apply to current precursors, even though they’ve been asked.
Personally I don’t give a skritt’s tail about your personal opinion on mounts. I don’t care to see them either, but it’s a constant question on the forums that could easily be addressed.

The topic was not so much about unanswered questions as it is about the methods Arenanet has been using to answer any questions that people ask.

Some straight answers.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Ppl are only leading themselves on, Devs have been crystal clear about all 3 of those elements.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Some straight answers.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

1 – Mounts seems just a bad idea, I strongly believe they can add, they just don’t want.
2 – Craft precursor is also very doable, the problem is the balance of the requirements, that takes time.
3 – Guild Hall/Housing is being discussed on the CDI topic, that is totally possible but again it is a matter of do it well instead of do it fast.

1 – Probably yes
2 – I never noticed that … so I dunno
3 – They don’t want, the devs stated that the ranger is the “pet class” in GW2, and they want the pet to be a permanent part of the ranger mechanic.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Some straight answers.

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

While I do agree A-net should be more clear on some statements, I can also see why they don’t say: “No mounts for GW2” Because if they say this and 3 years later they introduce mounts, people will eat them alive

With such a big community, it might be better to just shut up, (or be unclear, which is hovering between, not saying anything and saying a few things). 8 months ago A-net told us what they were plannig to do in 2013, when some of those goals (like the precursor crafting) didn’t make it, people just destroyed them. After such responses of the community, I don’t think A-net dares to be very open in the future…

Another reason why A-net could be vague is: They are a big company. Devs of every game want to tell everything to the community, only the PR-guys stop them. showing your cards to everyone isn’t the best buissiness strategy, maybe for a smaller community (let’s say a indie-game) but not for a MMOrpg

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Some straight answers.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, they gave an emphatic no to mounts before the game was released. You can find the quote in the Wiki. Now, as with most things, they don’t say never, as thoughts or circumstances could change in the future. Who can really say how long GW2 might run?

As for crafting precursors for current legendaries, I can’t say. Maybe a Dev will answer, but considering the tone, who knows?

It seems more likely than not, that Housing will become a reality, considering the proposal being submitted to the Devs by Chris from the CDI. Again, though, only time will tell.

No opinion on the JP. Haven’t seen a boatload of complaints about it but it may, or may not, be a problem.

I would never want to stow my pet. My Ranger is my Main, so I hope not.

Some straight answers.

Posted by: CEDWYN.5392

CEDWYN.5392

Wxp account bound – mentioned by Devon that it will be done… 2 months ago (before league 1 ended), and we still have nothing to show for this.

IMO, anet just says things to get people to shut up and stop asking. “Oh yea, and just keep playing the game and buying gems every 2 weeks and you’ve eventually see this stuff you have been asking for.”

Some straight answers.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Wxp account bound – mentioned by Devon that it will be done… 2 months ago (before league 1 ended), and we still have nothing to show for this.

IMO, anet just says things to get people to shut up and stop asking. “Oh yea, and just keep playing the game and buying gems every 2 weeks and you’ve eventually see this stuff you have been asking for.”

This. For example, we’ve been strung along with the precursor business for, what, a year now? First with “precursor scavenger hunt” and now with precursor crafting.

Some straight answers.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

What the OP is saying is true, but why giving three of the worst example.

1) Mount. This is something some people want and other people don’t want. This idea was generated by players and argue between players. Anet don’t have anything to do with this. Frankly their answer was more : Its a possibility, but we can’t say yes or no because its not on the table right now. Its only an idea and Anet is probably not working on it so they cannot say if the game can support it or this would need too much work to make it happen.

2) Precusor crafting. Really people are still asking question about it. Its probably one of the point we had the more information on all along the work that Anet put on it. Last year it was an idea about a scavenger hunt, then it was officially a precursor crafting that was coming in the second half of 2013. Then we got updated a couple of month ago that this feature will most probably not make it in 2013. Then we have a new that say that the 4 first update of 2014 will be about the living story and that the next update will be a big feature update (non officially most ppl including me are saying : so precursor crafting should appear in the second half of march 2014), then we have a news that the after the 4 last living story they will take a pause before the big feature update right before summer (so the update and maybe crafting precursor should be between march and may?? but speculation). Anet was really transparent with us about this feature updating us each couple months on it. But people are still not happy with that.

3) Again Anet only said that it an idea they are looking into. This can mean that right now nobody is actively working on it, maybe its only in brainstorm, maybe its in art preview, maybe some devs are working on that, we don’t know. Its not because some people really want THAT particular feature that its now in the top of the to do list of Anet.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Some straight answers.

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

While I do agree A-net should be more clear on some statements, I can also see why they don’t say: “No mounts for GW2” Because if they say this and 3 years later they introduce mounts, people will eat them alive

This…

This is why no definitive statements of “yes” or “no” can occur until content is comfortable enough in both development and testing for Arenanet to state that a piece of content exists.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

Some straight answers.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

There was an emphatic NO for mounts on the INITIAL release. It’s a question of profit as always, will it make more money than it costs? and after that is Will it break the game with the current mechanics in place? It’s a lot of work for a one time gem purchase, or worse…no gem purchase. Maybe…maybe expect something like mounts for an expansion where their inclusion is an all or nothing deal.

I wouldn’t expect precursors to ever be craftable, no matter what they say. As of now, they are a great gold sink and a good way to sell gems. There is little pay off on Anet’s end to remove the rng or make them easier to get. If they do institute some form of a reliable way to get precursors it will be because people quit playing the game because of it OR they find another way to monetize them. Think Legendary tiers most likely.

Housing is almost a sure bet to be included at some point. They are probably investing work hours currently into adding content for some future patch and making gem store items to sell to people who want player housing. I would expect this in their BIG patch this spring. It’s an easy addition to monetize and it give players something they want and it will be a headliner to keep players when the other MMO’s launch.

The Ranger pet is an intrinsic part of the class, don’t expect it.

Most bugs and exploits and graphic glitches will be fixed slowly. Low priority unless it affects monetization.

When you ask questions, the answer usually breaks down to money. The players are important, but only in ways that it makes the company money. One reason why you see the things you do in the f2p and b2p markets. Just part of the scheme.

Some straight answers.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think it’s interesting that you seem to think the only possible answers are that the devs will eventually give you everything you want, or they want to but can’t because it’s impossible.

I’m sure there’s lots of things they could do but choose not to.

For a start I’m pretty sure they have never implied mounts might be added, or even avoided the question. They’ve just said no. But for some reason some players can’t seem to wrap their heads around the idea that an MMO without mounts could exist and others seem to hope that if they keep asking Anet will change their minds. (Which I admit isn’t totally out of the question, but that’s not the same as them wanting to do it and being unable to or stringing us along with evasive answers.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Some straight answers.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

“One of the worst types of deception is to string people along by toying with their dreams and desires when you know for a fact that you can never deliver on what they wish for. It is unethical, and in some cases cruel. Arenanet needs to grow up and start communicating the cold facts about some of these things to the playerbase, and simply accept that people will leave the game. Stop obsessing so much over the short term, because in the long term you’ll risk suffering a much larger player loss when the truth comes out on it’s own, instead of being up front about things with players now.”

Yeaaaah making veiled threats such as this will get you no where. If you’re going to get so offended and so angry over such a miniscule and issue then you should just quit now because they are not going to change their response.

Some straight answers.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

They also mentioned that it is being tested alongside Edge of the Mists and most likely released together with that.

It is posts like this that makes devs not wanting to talk about anything at all, seeing as people will shout at them if the thing they talked about isn’t released the very next day.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Some straight answers.

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

1. Mounts (lol): They have said since the beginning that there won’t be any mounts soon as it is something they don’t have planned to do https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Why-no-mounts/page/3#post1673252
  2. Precursor crafting: They are working on precursors and it will be a thing that’s delivered this year https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Is-precursor-crafting-going-to-happen-or-not/first#post2981770
  3. Guild halls/housing: They’re aware of it but don’t think they’re actually working on it atm https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Player-Housing-3/first#post1695274
  1. Crafting precursors: Read the second answer I gave.
  2. Troll’s End fix: I don’t think they refuse to do something about it, it’s just something with low priority since still it’s perfectly do-able, if you’re having that much troubles whisper me in-game and I’ll be happy to portal you if it makes you that angry.
  3. Pet stowing: Because it’s something that’s related uniquely to the ranger profession, pets do provide some extra damage https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Robert-Hrouda-on-pets-in-dungeons/page/4#post1580223

Google is your friend.

Attachments:

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

Some straight answers.

Neural.1824

good greif do you people get caught up in details. I’m not going to bother spelling it out, you’ll never see the forest for the trees. I was throwing out kittening examples. The only ones relevant to my own view point were the last three questions that I listed as my own questions.

Some straight answers.

killcannon.2576

I think it’s interesting that you seem to think the only possible answers are that the devs will eventually give you everything you want, or they want to but can’t because it’s impossible.

I’m sure there’s lots of things they could do but choose not to.

For a start I’m pretty sure they have never implied mounts might be added, or even avoided the question. They’ve just said no. But for some reason some players can’t seem to wrap their heads around the idea that an MMO without mounts could exist and others seem to hope that if they keep asking Anet will change their minds. (Which I admit isn’t totally out of the question, but that’s not the same as them wanting to do it and being unable to or stringing us along with evasive answers.)

It’s because they have never just said “No”. Just “No plans at this time”

Google it.

Some straight answers.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Just because someone doesn’t do something doesn’t mean they can’t. Most of the other players pretty much reflected this in their comments so there’s little reason for me to rehash. Simply because ANet is not sending you a personal email doesn’t they’re stonewalling.

Some straight answers.

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Other people have summed this up nicely.

Ps- no mounts ever

Ranger | Elementalist

Some straight answers.

killcannon.2576

good greif do you people get caught up in details. I’m not going to bother spelling it out, you’ll never see the forest for the trees. I was throwing out kittening examples. The only ones relevant to my own view point were the last three questions that I listed as my own questions.

The thing is, you’re never going to get straight answers because it all “depends”

They can put mounts in
They can make precursors craftable
You could stow your pet
They could fix graphics glitches, bugs, various other things

In all these things, ask yourself “What is the upside for the development team to implement these things?” What helps developers make these decisions are metrics…and the players don’t have access to any reliable form of this.

1. Will we see a large drop in player population if we do/do not implement x/y/z ?
2. Will we see an increase/decrease in sales/gem store profits if we do/do not implement x,y,z ?
3. If we implement x,y,z is there a way to monetize additions that do not affect basic game balance through the gem store?

These are the questions that get asked in house. If it does not affect monetization in any way, then it is a low priority and will be dealt with eventually.

It’s part of the monetization model. Without guaranteed income from each player, the developer has to constantly ask itself in what ways can we get more players to spend money. It affects basic game design on every single level. From balancing to make the game into an esport, to whether or not you can put that monster trophy on your wall in your home instance.