Something big is coming in 2014

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

“Something big sure is coming VIP membership of GW2.”

Hahah been waiting for someone to say this. Remember it was only datamined, doesn’t mean it will make it into the game.

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

Anet have already chimed in on that one here.

It would make sense with their upcoming release in China. I believe it’s a legal requirement for MMO’s to have a subscription of some kind over there?

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

Posted by: MercyKilling.8519

MercyKilling.8519

How about a new playable race? Something…….Egyptian themed. Wouldn’t that be nice!

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Elona, land of the Golden sun.
I miss the warmth of the desert and Joko’s evil actions.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Well in the long term they would make less money because the type of content and game designs will destroy the game. You mean they will make more compared to what they would have made in lets say the first 1,5 year if they would else have released an expansion. Thats true. However if they keep going on like this the game will most likely be pretty dead 1,5 year from now and so making them less money then, then if they would have gone for expansions. So when you see 5+ years as long term then expansion based income would be more interesting.

However like I said, it’s a bigger risk (hyping something is easier then setting a good product that will indeed still be played 5 years from now) and Ncsoft might not be interested in that long term they just move from one investment to the next all short term.

Purely from a game viewpoint the micro-transaction bad for the game but from a financial viewpoint is all depends what you want. Get more money over a way longer period or squeeze as much money out now and then move on to the next project. So when we might say it’s a failure because the game is pretty much dead 1,5 year from now Ncsoft might see it as a success. Just remember that and then don’t buy other games from them. Then in the even longer run it might hurt them after-all.

The biggest problem is that Anet doesn’t own the Guildwars IP. They are subsidiary of Ncsoft (who also own other MMO IP’s and soon to own a brand new one) and we only get to play the game as long as they deem it profitable to keep the servers open.

Blizzard and CCP have a vested interest in keeping their games going as long as possible because they charge fees and the games are owned by them so it’s also a matter of branding. Their name means they made it and support it and a well respected brand is one of the most valuable things a company can own.
If NCsoft crunched the numbers and found it’s better for them in the long run to milk GW2 for all it’s worth and then dump it’s dry husk by the road side and focus on another title (say Wildstar?) then that’s what they will do and will get away with it because they can just release said title under another developer name and most people won’t know they are buying a game by a publisher that may have no intention of sticking in for the long run.

People sing the praises of box sale fueled games over sub fee games but at least sub fee games have a reason to keep you playing. Cash shops work to even this out in theory but if 1 guy buys gems enough to cover another 5 people then why bother making content to keep those other 5 playing if you can just keep the one guy? New content means you have to pay someone to make it and server space to host it. Anet has also painted themselves into a corner with this whole “no intention of a paid expansion” biz. We are expecting new stuff for free which means it has to be paid for with the gem store.

I think Penny Arcade hit it on the head when it comes to MMO’s published by third parties even if the strip was about digital CCG’s.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/05/13

Yeah I agree. I recently (because of GW2) decided that if in the future I would go to another MMO I would really look to see if a company publish there own game or if they have a separate investor (Like Anet has Ncsoft).

Then again, Everquest has a pretty good track record while they also have a separate investor.. Sony.

About the box sale fueled games over sub fee games. Thats not really true. I mean I can’t say GW2 is so much a box sale fueled game because they are now mainly generating income from there cash-shop. Not from box-sales. A real box sale fueled games pretty much means they keep making money like that. So it means they are releasing regular expansions (every year / year and a half) to so earn the money. And yes I do think that is better then a sub but at the same time it’s also very similar to a sub. The main difference is that with sub you pay for play-time for a months (or something) while with expansion based sales you pay content that should keep you busy for a year / year and a half. Biggest disadvantage of a sub is having a clock over your head and thats something you will not have if they generate income with expansions.

In both cases the priority of the game-developer is keeping people happily playing and buying the game. While with micro-transaction focus it’s trying to indeed sell that one guy that cash-shop item.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I am so excited to see what is going to happen in 2014 with this game.

New maps? New Races? New Skills?

/crossesfingers

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

More exciting living story and temporary areas!

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

something big in 2014: VIP memberships (for Chinese)

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

I am so excited to see what is going to happen in 2014 with this game.

New maps? New Races? New Skills?

/crossesfingers

New maps – temporary
New Races – as costumes
New skills – healing/utility… WvW/PvE only

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

Merge with Blizzard?

Hell no, good God save us from that.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

At long last, we give to you, the player, the amazing, bold, ferocious TENGU… backpack…

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

2014 is going to be an amazing year for GW2 and the community!

Chris

You can chose betwen:

- Precurser update
- Guild Halls / more usefull guild system and especially CAPES!
- Expansion:
– New Class (Dervish / Ritu)
– New skills (and i mean really new skills (heal skills doesnt count!))
– New races

To name a few really urgent things that the community needs.

I am a 100% sure that we will get nothing at all that I mentioned and this makes me sad i really hope that I am wrong but it will not happen I dont know why maybe its like D3 was first a big beta too and now after a few years (ROS update the game gets finally pushed in the right way but the way to it was pretty hard) so i hope the same for gw2.

And sorry for my bad english thats not my mother language

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

You guys are totally kittening annoying they make a game with loads of free contents, some permanent most temporary they work hard as well to make this game, seriously if you guys dislike the game so much and what they are doing with it why the kitten are you still playing?.

I just don’t get it.

Free content? I paid for this game. And was willing to pay for an expansion so they did not have to go generate income with micro-translations because that always destroys a games. Sadly enough they did go for the micro-transactions. Makes you wonder why I paid in the first place. More then enough F2P games on the market and I don’t play them because of the way it effects the way the game is designed.

Anyway, don’t talk about free content. I paid for this game and was very willing to pay for upcoming expansions. Looking back it’s rude they asked money for a game that is just going the F2P way with there micro-transactions.

except none of the micro-transactions affect another player’s ability to beat you into the ground, meaning they have no combat advantage for buying and spending gems. look up Forsaken World, and see what their cash shop has done to the game. be happy Anet did their homework with micro-transactions.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

You guys are totally kittening annoying they make a game with loads of free contents, some permanent most temporary they work hard as well to make this game, seriously if you guys dislike the game so much and what they are doing with it why the kitten are you still playing?.

I just don’t get it.

Free content? I paid for this game. And was willing to pay for an expansion so they did not have to go generate income with micro-translations because that always destroys a games. Sadly enough they did go for the micro-transactions. Makes you wonder why I paid in the first place. More then enough F2P games on the market and I don’t play them because of the way it effects the way the game is designed.

Anyway, don’t talk about free content. I paid for this game and was very willing to pay for upcoming expansions. Looking back it’s rude they asked money for a game that is just going the F2P way with there micro-transactions.

except none of the micro-transactions affect another player’s ability to beat you into the ground, meaning they have no combat advantage for buying and spending gems. look up Forsaken World, and see what their cash shop has done to the game. be happy Anet did their homework with micro-transactions.

You say it are not P2W items. True most of them aren’t (I think 2 or 3 where like the SAB coin) but that was also not what I was saying. There are other elements that get effect in negative ways because of it.

So no if it comes to P2W GW2 is still doing it pretty good as in it not being in the game a lot.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

The end of the gear threadmill?
Actual content?
Build diversity?
Decent PvP?
More Scarlet?

More Scarlet.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

At long last, we give to you, the player, the amazing, bold, ferocious TENGU… backpack…

That did make me laugh out loud.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

I hope it’s guild hall and personal housing and please not a cookie cuter style of housing but something you can build and design from ingame crafting mats.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Do we know when they will release the information on what this big thing is?

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Do we know when they will release the information on what this big thing is?

Over the next 12 months of living story, I suspect. I doubt they’ll release a detailed layout of what their entire year worth of planning is (it’d probably be discarded half way through like their many aspects from their manifest anyway). Hopefully it’s the first update of the year (21st) that has the big ‘surprise’ but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Anyone else think Scarlet is trying to get Primordius to surface by kittening him off with all of her DO NOT TOUCH ground thumpers all over the world?

Posted by: Raeysa Penrose.8450

Raeysa Penrose.8450

If you check the news, they released a video that recapped 2013 and said that the “big thing” is happening on the 21st of this month.

Fear not this night
curse my dependence on sleep for survival!

Posted by: cuge.5398

cuge.5398

I wont be excited untill i see some changes really worth my excitement

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Attachments:

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I hope so, I’m getting extremely bored. I almost wish they would go back to a longer release cycle for updates so we could maybe get much bigger and substantial updates than we are getting. A lot of people I’ve been playing with on and off since launch are really starting to feel the monotony at this point.