Specializations? a step backwards.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Violent.5431

Violent.5431

what have you guys done? guild wars 2 just made a step backwards. we used to be able to pick what we want from each specialization bar. now we have to use the entire bar even if we just want want to use one thing from that trait line. builds now are less custumizable. back then you can pick and choose what you want to use in a trait line. removed healing bombs too, the skill I love the most in this game. anyway as it stands, id rather burn a one hundred dollar bill with a lighter, than to buy hearts of thorns. you guys should make your games better, not a lot suckier.

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

you guys should make your games better, not a lot suckier.

The game feels better for me.

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

Actually no they havnt.

Taking the stats off the Lines and allowing for Complete 3 Lines in your build actually means u can run anything you like, if anything alot more is doable now then previously due to how required the stats were in Meta.

This new set up is better for the game and a much stronger build for the classes, it is More customizable now on a competitive level then it ever was.

Posted by: Dresden.1736

Dresden.1736

I’m not going to break out the pitchforks, but I agree, the limitation to 3 trait lines was definitely a step backward. It makes no sense to me.

Posted by: Wyrdfell.8327

Wyrdfell.8327

The game is A LOT better now.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

It helps bring equivalency to the traits, ie the master traits are all suppose to have the same opportunity cost as other master traits in all the lines. Doing so well help their aim when balancing things in the future. My hope is soon, the Grand Master traits will be improved to be more of a pivotal change in every build. Right now, it’s only so for certain gm traits.

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Elite specs would never really work under the old system. Their abilities are too build-defining to be mixed freely, so the old trait lines needed to be updated to be as defining as the new elite ones.

To make them defining, they needed to become defined. This meant treating a line as a functional and thematic whole, instead of just a collection of similar parts. Stripping out the attributes and making the lines more of an all-or-nothing purchase meant that the devs could aim for a lot more cohesiveness and synergy within a line.

This is exactly what the elite specs demanded in order to be functional, but it also created opportunities to bring up the old lines to a higher, tighter standard.

Sure, there’s still room for improvement, but part of the whole point of HoT is for them to restructure the framework so it’s easier for them to build more stuff on top of it. The old system was too loose to support balanced growth.

Now they at least have a solid foundation to build on. (Plus, it’s awesome that the community helped co-design this foundation in the CDI’s. I’m proud of us.)

Personally, if I had to gripe about something, it would be about trait tiers. We used to unlock tiers as we leveled, spreading our points vertically through multiple lines until we unlocked the next tier. Now we unlock line slots instead, spreading horizontally through all the tiers until we unlock the next line slot. It’s the complete opposite direction. New players aren’t going to have any idea why the minors aren’t all together, or why the right column is called grandmaster even though you get access to it at low levels. The whole internal structure of a line needs some serious rejiggering before it makes sense again, and I don’t just mean the way it’s presented to the player.

I should be writing.

(edited by Gulesave.5073)

Posted by: Phyrex.5174

Phyrex.5174

ironically, many players have noted that many trait ended up somewhere that didint feel right at all (like inspiring banned being in discipline rather than tactics for warriors) or sometime certain trait line feeling somewhat incohesive.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Seems that most people do like the change. There’s less choice, but more viable options seems to be the consensus.

Yes it does screw individual builds from the past, but then MMOs change stuff. The ability to adapt to changes is what makes people good at the game.

Posted by: Novability.4718

Novability.4718

The Condi damage broke the game. not the trait lines per say.

[TE] StormBluff Isle
Novability | X Novability X
“Retreat? Hell we just got here”