Spell/Ability Skins

Spell/Ability Skins

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fractured.3928

Fractured.3928

I think GW2 would benefit greatly for spell/ability skins that you can purchase.

I’m sure there are some players (For some reason) that would prefer a different Mesmer color. Make it so it is Blue dragonfly’s, or white doves.

Necromancer needs some pet skins imo. Seems more like a Lovecraftian class more than Necro. Bone minions be frail looking skeletons, Bone Fiend an archer, Shadow Fiend a wraith, Flesh Golem as a armored death knight.

Guardian could use a more aggressive approach, with red and fire.

Etcetc.

As a Necro I’d purchase other minions in a heartbeat.

Make it so skins are not used in PVP. At least for your opponents.

(edited by Fractured.3928)

Spell/Ability Skins

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

That actually sounds like a neat idea.

Though the issue would be with PvP; players would then confuse certain skills for other skills, or not recognize skills entirely, which would give the casting player an advantage. In that example, the skins should then be disabled for PvP, or an option in graphics to set players’ skills to the standard visuals (much like we saw recently with a new option) in order to negate that problem.

But otherwise, it is an interesting suggestion, although I don’t know if it would take away from possible future elite specializations which might delve into “new visuals” of a profession. For example with the Reaper theme being, well, a “reaper” as opposed to a Necromancer.

Spell/Ability Skins

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

I second this so much! And for Rangers, maybe sell new skins for Pets, but make them applicable to certain categories, for example sell a White Tiger skin applicable only on Felines. Panda skin for Ursines. Rainbow Phoenix revamped skin for Moas, etc.

Spell/Ability Skins

Fractured.3928

I didn’t think of Ranger pet skins, fairly smart.

Spell/Ability Skins

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Problem with pet family based skins would be that different pets within the same families can have radically different F skills. For example, if a drake is about to breathe at you, you really want to know if it’s an Ice Drake or a Reef Drake.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Spell/Ability Skins

Fractured.3928

As mentioned, skins would be disabled in PVP. or at least, for the opponent.

Spell/Ability Skins

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I think GW2 would benefit greatly for spell/ability skins that you can purchase.
I’m sure there are some players (For some reason) that would prefer a different Mesmer color. Make it so it is Blue dragonfly’s, or white doves.
Necromancer needs some pet skins imo. Seems more like a Lovecraftian class more than Necro. Bone minions be frail looking skeletons, Bone Fiend an archer, Shadow Fiend a wraith, Flesh Golem as a armored death knight.

To begin with, this is bad for PvP as I’m sure someone has mentioned already.
In GW1 your profession has a color theme, which was especially important due to mixing profession skills, and has stuck around in GW2. Mesmers are purple. This is why mesmer affects are purple.

In regard to necro minions, in GW1 they were created by reanimating dead bodies, which makes sense. In GW2 they decided to kitten any kind of actual skill and just make them summonable from seemingly nothing. It doesn’t make sense for minions to be made out of anything except the flesh of what you just killed, but since they decided to throw that out the windows for GW2, who knows.

Spell/Ability Skins

Fractured.3928

To begin with, this is bad for PvP as I’m sure someone has mentioned already.
In GW1 your profession has a color theme, which was especially important due to mixing profession skills, and has stuck around in GW2. Mesmers are purple. This is why mesmer affects are purple.

There, since you didn’t read the 4 other posts bringing that exact thing up, I edited my original post