[Spoilers] LGBT Relationships

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jesseii.2097

Jesseii.2097

ArenaNet, I’ve been a player of Guild Wars 2 for over three years now. I have played through the story multiple times and loved every moment of it! I have enjoyed the fact that Caithe, Faoline, Marjory, and Kasmeer are all developing main characters with homosexual relationships.

See, I love the fact that such endearing relationships can be forged between members of the same sex. I find it incredibly empowering and noble of you to put these forms of relationships in game. The only problem I have at the moment is that there are no male relationships that mimic this kind of bond.

I believe that it would be appropriate to have a homosexual relationship between some of the male characters – for instance – we all know that there is some tension between Logan and Rytlock. Now, I believe that the best way to come to a conclusion of their hatred of each other is to actually reveal (perhaps with a future living story) that they actually share very strong feelings for each other. This could explain why Rytlock was so upset when Logan went to save Queen Jennah.

Another relationship that I believe could be established is between Canach and Laranthir. These two characters are always so frivolous when within the same radius of each other. You can sense it. The atmosphere changes and there is so much tension, it’s beautiful.

ArenaNet please consider developing homosexual relationships between at least one pair of male characters within Guld Wars 2’s story. It would add a sense of true love to the game that I feel is lacking. I am sure that others share the same ideas and passions.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

You cant rewrite Logans character at this point . He was completely enthralled with Queen Jenna before the game even came out . In fact him going back to defend Jenna is the whole reason Destiny’s Edge broke up . To all of a sudden make him homosexual would be pandering and forced to the extreme.

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

Yes, lets disregard story and character development for the sake of inclusion and furthering agendas. Hell, lets put in a straight relationship (of all things!) in while we’re at it.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Or maybe Rytlock had a problem with Logan because he comes from a military culture where desertion is taboo and that it’s also easy to blame the guy who ran away for not only causing the mission to fail, but a friend to die?

You don’t need to “explain” hating someone by shoehorning in a romantic angle, that’s just terrible writing that should stay in the realm of slashfic regardless of the orientation of the characters involved.

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

why does everything have to be about sex? i thought this was an adventure game… not Y Tu Mama Tambien…

– The Baconnaire

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

If you play Male Sylvari you can romance both Trehearne and Canach.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Jesseii.2097

You cant rewrite Logans character at this point . He was completely enthralled with Queen Jenna before the game even came out . In fact him going back to defend Jenna is the whole reason Destiny’s Edge broke up . To all of a sudden make him homosexual would be pandering and forced to the extreme.

I see where you’re coming from but just bare with me for a second and hear me out. For a moment, lets just forget about Logan, let’s focus more on Rytlock here. Rytlock is always so aggressive with Logan, kind of like how a young boy would passively mess with a girl that he has a crush on. Honestly I believe that Rytlock has these feelings for Logan more so than Logan has these feelings for Rytlock. I think that it would be touching if – near the end of the HoT story when you rescue Logan from the pod, instead of having it so that we don’t see or hear from Logan anymore we can have it that Logan joins the fight because Rytlock runs over to his unconscious body, very concerned for his friend’s well being, and breathes heavily on his face causing Logan to wake up.

You could introduce their relationship this way, instead of breaking the current story.

Jesseii.2097

I didn’t expect such a negative response. :x

Pandaman.4758

Well, how would you react if someone posted a suggestion to make Marjory and Kasmeer straight? That their attraction to each other was only because they hadn’t found the right men yet, or any number of utterly banal kitten that people spew to “explain” homosexual people aren’t really just to make their relationship more relatable to the straight crowd?

You wouldn’t have a very positive reaction, would you?

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Hey, look, the game has no heterosexual relationship in it, so let’s add one more gay relationship, this time male. Because reasons.

Sigh…

You seem to ask why there is no such relationship in the game. I ask you – why should there be?

Jesseii.2097

I see where you’re coming from but just bare with me for a second and hear me out. For a moment, lets just forget about Logan, let’s focus more on Rytlock here. Rytlock is always so aggressive with Logan, kind of like how a young boy would passively mess with a girl that he has a crush on. Honestly I believe that Rytlock has these feelings for Logan more so than Logan has these feelings for Rytlock. I think that it would be touching if – near the end of the HoT story when you rescue Logan from the pod, instead of having it so that we don’t see or hear from Logan anymore we can have it that Logan joins the fight because Rytlock runs over to his unconscious body, very concerned for his friend’s well being, and breathes heavily on his face causing Logan to wake up.

You could introduce their relationship this way, instead of breaking the current story.

Terrible fan fiction is that way —>

Excuse me? Look I don’t know what is wrong with this community lately… Everyone in my guild was so supportive of me so I decided to just voice my opinion… okay?

I didn’t mean any harm I just thought that because so many others were supportive that some people on the forums would have the same thoughts… :c

Adine.2184

Excuse me? Look I don’t know what is wrong with this community lately… Everyone in my guild was so supportive of me so I decided to just voice my opinion… okay?

I didn’t mean any harm I just thought that because so many others were supportive that some people on the forums would have the same thoughts… :c

You’re trying to rewrite preexisting lore and thats not going to fly with most people .

Jesseii.2097

You’re trying to rewrite preexisting lore and thats not going to fly with most people .

It was a suggestion :| Do you honestly think there is no connection between Canach and Laranthir?

Jesseii.2097

It was a suggestion :| Do you honestly think there is no connection between Canach and Laranthir?

Yes, there is. They clearly have a relationship (in case you didn’t know, many can be classified in relationships… such as friends), but does it have to be sexual? Does EVERYTHING have to be sexual these days?

These threads are on every single game forums these days trying to get the writers to shoe-horn in some kind of “politically correct” agenda into their game and it’s getting ridiculous. Let the writers write, I think ArenaNet has done a fantastic job with the characters already. Take the fanfiction elsewhere.

Sexual? you are the only one here talking about things being sexual… is that what you believe? that a relationship is based solely on sex? just because you see a relationship like that doesnt mean thats how things are for everyone.

stop with these terms you are using… i simply made a suggestion… my goodness.

(edited by Jesseii.2097)

Posted by: leviathan.2148

leviathan.2148

How about there was finally some heterosexual relationship?

I am an engineer – a pianist of destruction! Now please go back to standing in my AOE.

http://wpwhendead.tumblr.com - a GW2 webcomic about a Charr and a Skritt

Jesseii.2097

Yes, there is. They clearly have a relationship (in case you didn’t know, many can be classified in relationships… such as friends), but does it have to be sexual? Does EVERYTHING have to be sexual these days?

These threads are on every single game forums these days trying to get the writers to shoe-horn in some kind of “politically correct” agenda into their game and it’s getting ridiculous. Let the writers write, I think ArenaNet has done a fantastic job with the characters already. Take the fanfiction elsewhere.

Sexual? you are the only one here talking about things being sexual… is that what you believe? that a relationship is based solely on sex? just because you see a relationship like that doesnt mean thats how things are for everyone.

stop with these terms you are using… i simply made a suggestion… my goodness.

Have you even read your own post or are you too busy writing all kinds of fan-fic?

this depends on what you believe sex is… i never stated anything sexual in my posts. by your definition of sex, i could breathe too hard while being near a person and we would both be arrested for having sex in public.

Jesseii.2097

How about there was finally some heterosexual relationship?

i would love that any relationship is a great one, i was just sugessting stuff ^^’

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The only problem I have at the moment is that there are no male relationships that mimic this kind of bond.

Sylvari Green Knight personal story, Dagdar and Eladus.

Sylvari don’t really count however, as they have no concept of it.

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

If this game is going to start filling up with PC Bros then I’m quitting.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

Posted by: Pakkazull.6894

Pakkazull.6894

this depends on what you believe sex is… i never stated anything sexual in my posts. by your definition of sex, i could breathe too hard while being near a person and we would both be arrested for having sex in public.

Well yeah, homosexual means sexual desire towards a person’s own sex, so it’s kind of hard not to interpret your post that way.

And even if you mean the literal translation of homosexual, “same sex”, well, there already are same sex relationships between males in GW2. You know, friendships, camaraderie. It’s kind of logical to assume that you’re implying you want a male-male sexual relationship in the game.

(edited by Pakkazull.6894)

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

As more than one person said, this is a game, real-world politically-correct agendas don’t need to infect it for their own sake.

Jesseii.2097

As more than one person said, this is a game, real-world politically-correct agendas don’t need to infect it for their own sake.

at least south park did one thing right for you lovely people mmm

Posted by: Skyline Crash.6254

Skyline Crash.6254

No thanks jeff

SJW detected

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Please Anet, no more of the sjw agenda. There are enough of these types of relationships in the game already. No more pc behavior modeling training. I really am stunned that anyone could follow the story and think that Logan and Rytlock were experiencing sexual tension for each other. That is just ridiculous.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

In the personal story, you actually get a solid hint as to why Rytlock acts like that towards Logan.

When the Pale Tree takes you into the dream, you see members of Destiny’s Edge talking to each other. Here’s what Rytlock says:

Rytlock Brimstone: Where were you? We needed you! Snaff…I couldn’t protect him. I can still hear him screaming.

THIS is why Rytlock is so angry at Logan. He (Rytlock) failed, and a friend died screaming in fear and pain. He’s having a hard time dealing with that, and so he takes it out on the person that SHOULD have been there to protect Snaff, Logan. It’s guilt and regret, not love, that makes Rytlock lash out at him.

Yes, Rytlock has seen others die on the field of battle, but those have been soldiers. People trained to combat, who go out there knowing they may die. Snaff wasn’t a soldier, he wasn’t ready. That’s why this death was different and hit Rytlock so hard that it made him lash out at someone.

I’ve made my own share of Rytlock/Logan jokes, but the relationship there is NOT romantic.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

^ This.

It has been represented quite distastefully in this game.

SJWs need to go back to tumblr.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

One problem with Canach X Laranthir… Canach has a VERY spiky face. He’d have one of Laranthir’s eyes out with those eyebrows.

TBH I think there are more LGBT relationships in the game than there are vanilla. I am all down with LGBT myself, absolutely, I am an asexual with gender dysphoria… but I do see where people are coming from.

Fel Vaerdenmer and Merri Sunbower are assigned minor roles, Tonn and Ceera as well as Elli and Zott are hetero and the latter both end in tragedy. Marjory and Kasmeer has an uncomfortably force-fed relationship but in the main game. Caithe and Faolain likewise.

It seems like the only confirmed hetero relationships are either way out in the background or just hinted at, while the same-sex relationships are thrust very much for the fore. I’d like to see a little more balance myself.

That said however, I can see the point that I think Jesseii is trying to make.

Most men don’t mind lesbian relationships. Most would regrettably baulk at the inclusion of gay relationships. And therein lies the issue. Most men just don’t have the same level of acceptance of gay relationships as women do of lesbian. Women are in general more sensually openminded.

I’d love for GW2 to challenge this issue… but I think we need to see a lot more opposite gender relationships first in order to strike a balance.

(edited by GuzziHero.2467)

Posted by: Azelvan.2153

Azelvan.2153

We don’t need that kind of shallow “for the sake of” development with the pre-existing characters. Do it for the new future characters if they really have to make it.

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

First: the rytlock and logan relationship was an Idea… not the thing he wants absolutely.

Second: it’s typically Americains to support female relationship and not male. USA ppl are not that openminded. BUT i don’t think jesseii wanted to get a male relationship with the more important characters of the game… but some secondary characters that we could see in a particular area / city.

Last : There’s already A LOT of straight relationships in the game even if they aren’t in front of the game. Just do the human story and the asura bomber (with Ceera).
I think that jesseii wants just more allusion like those straitgh relationships in the game… allusions guys … not neccessary the more important character have to be gay plz… And some are implicit (ROX + Braham)

A good fonctionnality should be weddings… but that’s not the point here

Edit: Azelvan is right =)

(edited by Nath Forge Tempete.1645)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

In the personal story, you actually get a solid hint as to why Rytlock acts like that towards Logan.

When the Pale Tree takes you into the dream, you see members of Destiny’s Edge talking to each other. Here’s what Rytlock says:

Rytlock Brimstone: Where were you? We needed you! Snaff…I couldn’t protect him. I can still hear him screaming.

THIS is why Rytlock is so angry at Logan. He (Rytlock) failed, and a friend died screaming in fear and pain. He’s having a hard time dealing with that, and so he takes it out on the person that SHOULD have been there to protect Snaff, Logan. It’s guilt and regret, not love, that makes Rytlock lash out at him.

Yes, Rytlock has seen others die on the field of battle, but those have been soldiers. People trained to combat, who go out there knowing they may die. Snaff wasn’t a soldier, he wasn’t ready. That’s why this death was different and hit Rytlock so hard that it made him lash out at someone.

I’ve made my own share of Rytlock/Logan jokes, but the relationship there is NOT romantic.

Game set and match.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Pandaman.4758

Good lord, people…

Jesseii floated an idea, the idea should be criticized on its merits (or lack thereof), not perceived motivation for voicing said idea.

Pakkazull.6894

BUT i don’t think jesseii wanted to get a male relationship with the more important characters of the game… but some secondary characters that we could see in a particular area / city.

If you read the original post, that’s clearly not what the OP is suggesting. The examples offered up are Logan+Rytlock and Canach+Laranthir, all of which are fairly important characters. Also, note this quote found in the original post:

“[…] at least one pair of male characters within Guld Wars 2’s story”.

Within Guild Wars 2’s story. That doesn’t sound like some random NPC in a city to me.

Jesseii.2097

Maybe you could put some of your posts about what happens in the story in spoilers. I don’t want to know what happens beforehand. Thank you.

im sorry :x i hate spoiling story, ill try to edit it for you

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

Well we’ve got one homosexual pairing kasmeer amd Majory and then we’vre several Silvary pairings of persons with the same gender (I still feel weird calling it homosexual, because the sexual part, kitten or hetero, is not really needed for a Sylvari, I see them more in romantic than sexual relationships. i think sex is not a main interest of most sylvari, emotional closeness seems to be though.) : Caithe and Faolain and Dagdar and Eladus (both male) in the sylvari Personal story.
All sylvari/sylvari relationships are kind of incesty too since they’re all siblings. ^^"

I like love stories in stories, but they should happen naturally and not forced. Logan is very likely jenna-sexual or at least Jenna-romantic so i don’t think LoganxRytlock would be a good fit.
I actually can’t see Rytlock in any romantic or sexual relationship with any of the DE or DE2.0, including Rox, I can see him having cubs with one or several female charr in some Fahrar …perhaps not offspring of a romantic relationship though.
I think Taimi/Zoja would be cute if Taimi was older.
they’re both very intelligent and I can see them having a very even relationship.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

BUT i don’t think jesseii wanted to get a male relationship with the more important characters of the game… but some secondary characters that we could see in a particular area / city.

If you read the original post, that’s clearly not what the OP is suggesting. The examples offered up are Logan+Rytlock and Canach+Laranthir, all of which are fairly important characters. Also, note this quote found in the original post:

Within Guild Wars 2’s story. That doesn’t sound like some random NPC in a city to me.

Hmm… before he starts to talk about the 2 relationships … he always started with the two words “I believe” … He didn’t say " it has to be made" or something like that… so stop being such a kitten.

Adine.2184

Well we’ve got one homosexual pairing kasmeer amd Majory and then we’vre several Silvary pairings of persons with the same gender (I still feel weird calling it kitten "sexual", because the sexual part, kitten or hetero, is not really needed for a Sylvari, I see them more in romantic than sexual relationships. i think sex is not a main interest of most sylvari, emotional closeness seems to be though.) : Caithe and Faolain and Dagdar and Eladus (both male).
All sylvari/sylvari relationships are kind of incesty to since they’re all siblings. ^^"

I like love stories in stories, but they should happen naturally and not forced. Logan is very likely jenna-sexual or at least Jenna-romantic so i don’t think LoganxRytlock would be a good fit.
I actually can’t see Rytlock in any romantic or sexual relationship with any of the DE or DE2.0, including Rox, I can see him having cubs with one or several female charr in some Fahrar though.

Heh you forgot to list Countess Anise who hits on you no matter what you are making her bi

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

Well, including plot twists because you feel there HAS to be more homosexual relationships in the game is a bad idea and will not be very well received. If you would have to catter to inclusion and empowering minorities, then the story would completely lose its direction.

BTW, technically speaking, sylvaris cannot be homosexual. They are antropomorphic plants that look like either male or female, but they don’t have a sex.

Jesseii.2097

Hmm… before he starts to talk about the 2 relationships … he always started with the two words “I believe” … He didn’t say " it has to be made" or something like that… so stop being such a kitten.

yes for the most part its really my fault i should have worded this whole post a bit differently the examples i chose were just examples, someone earlier mentioned the green night in the sylvari story and thats a great example too that kind of route. im not sure i just find it really interesting how story between those characters could play out more diversity is never really a bad thing

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

Well we’ve got one homosexual pairing kasmeer amd Majory and then we’vre several Silvary pairings of persons with the same gender (I still feel weird calling it kitten "sexual", because the sexual part, kitten or hetero, is not really needed for a Sylvari, I see them more in romantic than sexual relationships. i think sex is not a main interest of most sylvari, emotional closeness seems to be though.) : Caithe and Faolain and Dagdar and Eladus (both male).
All sylvari/sylvari relationships are kind of incesty to since they’re all siblings. ^^"

I actually can’t see Rytlock in any romantic or sexual relationship with any of the DE or DE2.0, including Rox, I can see him having cubs with one or several female charr in some Fahrar though.

Heh you forgot to list Countess Anise who hits on you no matter what you are making her bi

Oh yeah… that one.
well… we don’t even know for sure which biological sex Anise has or how she looks reality without her illusions. ^^"
s/he’s a very mysterious person.
I kind of hope she looks like a male grawl under all the illusions.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Pakkazull.6894

In what way was I being “a kitten?” I just stated the facts. Yes, the OP didn’t say it had to be either of those, but with the two examples provided and the quote I mentioned, it is strongly implied that they want the characters to be at least secondary characters pertinent to the story.

But sure, if you want to make assumptions that are contrary to all available evidence, be my guest.

Edit: And now the OP has made clarifications, so this argument is useless.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Wouldn’t it be great if in the new Star Wars movie Han Solo and Chewbacca gave in to their sexual feelings for each other? The movie makers could insert a touching scene where Chewie explores Han’s " dark side". Wouldn’t that be great

This whole thread is just silly. Please stop the sjw madness.

(edited by Dashingsteel.3410)

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

Wouldn’t it be great if in the new Star Wars movie Han Solo and Chewbacca gave in to their sexual feelings for each other? The movie makers could insert a touching scene where Chewie explores Han’s " dark side". Wouldn’t that be great

This whole thread is just silly. Please stop the sjw madness.

Hilarious and also very true! XD

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

What about Braham x Taimi? I feel that point wasn’t explored enough.

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

did u know that albus Dumbledore was gay … (the character i mean … not the actor)

It was one of the most important character =D but well … nobody said it in any films or book … but he was …

So why not a character like that in that game? Would it be that offensive that u couldn’t handle it?

The problem is probably that gamers are not that open-minded (maybe cause they are still kids)

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

now we know why there are no russian servers. under current law this game would be considered gay propaganda.

Posted by: Entrea Sumatae.7830

Entrea Sumatae.7830

Could the game use more and more focal male homosexual and/or other non-traditional romantic pairings in it? I mean, sure. It’s not hurting anyone, and increasing visibility is a fine goal (albeit one that will make some people upset).

Should it be Logan and Rytlock? No. Absolutely not. It’s a hilarious pairing to make jokes about, but it is a crackship in the extreme, with no real basis for any claims of romantic or sexual interest between them. It’s patently absurd, and frankly that suggestion is probably where you lost most of the people in this thread.

Canach and Laranthir, on the other hand, simply haven’t interacted often enough or meaningfully enough to make any serious claims about their compatibility. Arguably, though, that would be the case with Marjory and Kasmeer too, as most of the courtship was presumably “off-screen” as it were. I mean, I can’t see any reason they shouldn’t be romantically involved but there’s no particular reason they should either.

Pakkazull.6894

The problem is probably that gamers are not that open-minded (maybe cause they are still kids)

Wow, talk about making huge generalizations. No one in this thread has even been against LGBT relationships in the game per se, hell, there are already two very prominent ones. What the majority of people have been protesting against is retconning already established characters just to fill some kind of politically correct quota, or introducing new characters with no other purpose than to be “the gay couple.”

Posted by: Koalewa.6903

Koalewa.6903

I’m gay myself but whenever I see LGBT relationships just shoved into a story just to pander to a demographic it isn’t something I like at all. GW has actually done a good job with the 2 relationships you already mentioned but to just randomly make another LGBT relationship with no prior story behind it would be quite honestly insultingly obvious.

If you want a good story, do the opposite of what tumblr-ites would do. It’s never a good idea to make a random gay character for the sake of it, or a random trans character for the sake of it, or a random character with mental health issues…and etc.

Again, this is coming from someone who is a part of the LGBT community and I despise the tumblr mentality of every character needing a troubled past/having LGBT-related ‘issues’. It’s shallow as hell and adds nothing. And to the person above who used Dumbledore as an example, that is the EXACT kind of thing I’m not ok with, turning a popular character into something that was never mentioned/hinted at and isn’t even necessary to the story or brought up ever again just to sell more books. It’s dumb. And J.K. Rowling was as transparent as ever for doing it.

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Wow … I really feel u guys would be really offended if there will be more “reality” in the game.

SJW : why is this that bad? Promote equality … diversity… well i don’t know why it’s that horrible The only thing i meant .was (as u said) it doesn’t have an impact on the story … but why have made this with faolain/caithe and marjory/kasmeer? and why not with guys? just that . ^^

And i think I have the right to be upset about kid’s argument on “homosexuality”

Btw sorry for turning your post in something completely wrong Jesseii (but ppl are kittens somehow)

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I think Logan would be a much better match for Zojja, but I do agree that Canach is a great candidate for being a gay character, maybe Braham too.

The major problem with having too many lesbian characters though is the story beats you over the head with, “This character would not be into you if they were real.” and makes us care about those characters less. I’m obviously not homophobic or sexist but seeing Faolin die was satisfying because she was an extremely rotten betrayer and not due to gender or even race.

“SJW : why is this that bad? ’

Real social justice isn’t, but the Anna Sarkesian/Tumblr type of pseudo social “justice” is just women seeing sexism where it doesn’t exist. Instead of talking about real issues like equal pay and reproductive rights or even the right to own property, vote, or be given the humanity they’re owed in countries where it’s denied.

Probably because same sex female relationships are (somehow) more acceptable. If your girlfriend cheated on you with another girl you wouldn’t register that as real “cheating” and taken seriously whereas if they cheated with another man that’d be a big betrayal and affront.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)