State of the Game Update —Q1 2016

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

And it looks like we’re geading north to Jormag for the next elder dragon campaign!

Curious to know where that info came from. I can’t see anything in the blog alluding to Jormag?

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Double checks

I’m pretty sure that says central tyria gliding.

Yeah. It does. That was unexpected!

Guild hall trophies? That’s BAF

NEW FRACTALS? I refuse to believe it.

Now, if we could pretty please have some economic loosening on the whole scribing thing, that would be awesome.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

I had a rough time adapting to HoT expansion. I used to run all dungeon paths daily and I thought all was left was quitting the game after the expansion went live.

I started playing a lot of PvP, where I got used to the new specs, then I went back to PvE, where I started to enjoy HoT’s organized maps and the new FotM (yes, even with the exploits).

I see this as a step in the right direction, there is still a lot to fix and balance but they’re focusing on what we demanded (well, except for WvW, but fixing that zerg fest is no easy task).

Posted by: Silverwing.8750

Silverwing.8750

Are there any jumping puzzles where gliding would help? (or are they all upwards jumps?)

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Just wanted to add I hope there will be an option to turn off ambient nameplate’s, such as rabbits and chickens.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Are there any jumping puzzles where gliding would help? (or are they all upwards jumps?)

The only one that I can think of is the griffon one with the bomb. I think it was in Timberline. The rest don’t really start you off at a high elevation. It may also make some of the diving goggle jumps easier assuming it doesn’t cancel out the transformation. Easy way to check is to do the one in TD.

It’ll also make getting the more annoying gold coins in the SW jumping puzzle easier. The diving goggle port at the end takes you well above the cavern with the ship at the start which will let you glide to where most of the difficult ones are.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Just ppk and rally/revive changes for WvW? How long do you thing the WvW player base will wait for your huge overhaul?

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

The only one that I can think of is the griffon one with the bomb. I think it was in Timberline. The rest don’t really start you off at a high elevation. It may also make some of the diving goggle jumps easier assuming it doesn’t cancel out the transformation. Easy way to check is to do the one in TD.

It’ll also make getting the more annoying gold coins in the SW jumping puzzle easier. The diving goggle port at the end takes you well above the cavern with the ship at the start which will let you glide to where most of the difficult ones are.

Silverwing, this post in another thread looks at what JPs could be affected by gliding due to not being completely vertical in design:

May want to check their detailed post out and see if others are also mentioned in that thread.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: thunderfall.8095

thunderfall.8095

Proof they actually read the forums. I’m honestly suprised.

Mesmers be like: I reject your reality and substitute my own. – compliments to Mythbusters
Plot Twist: Elder Dragons are massive robots created by the Black Lion Trading Company.
Think of the money they make off weapons and armor…

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Silverwing, this post in another thread looks at what JPs could be affected by gliding due to not being completely vertical in design:

May want to check their detailed post out and see if others are also mentioned in that thread.

I welcome making JPs easier. It will make the stupid ones in silverwaste not be as broken as they currently are.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Given the current state of WvW, there may not be a WvW left to overhaul,

New fractals will be good, but along time overdue, some of the old missions from GW1 as fractals would have been great,

Dungeons, you may as well remove them completely this year, most of them are abandoned, and new players will struggle as the year goes on to get players to help them, unless they are in a guild that really wants to run them, its sad that the answer to speed clearing was to completely destroy the rewards, but alas it is done, me nor any of my friends do dungeons at all now, and I rarely see any of my 400+ member guild running them either, seriously cut your losses here and remove them.

The rest I shall wait and see, as SAB is clearly not coming back are Anet ever going to make an official announcement for all them ppl who bought the 800gem coin that they could only use for a few weeks, as im fairly sure if we had known that ahead of time no one would have bought it, even let us trade it in at the TP for credit.

The only thing I really want to see is what the plans for the expansion will be, clearly they have discussed it, if they are working on it, are we finally going to get into the crystal desert, and or Elona? Because at this point anything less will just be bla.

But lets see what 2016 will bring us, for me its been 11 years with the Guild Wars Games now.

Posted by: TheBravery.9615

TheBravery.9615

Please, for the love of balance, please read this before updating warrior

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SHhAr84r7L7sKK4B_hfHxBWp5cgt3fsLAh0EvlDUKnQ/edit?usp=sharing

Each and every profession update has been inconsistent- focus too much on one area (in this case the next update will focus too much on single weapon sets, cooldown, and damage) rather than looking at the whole picture and balancing everything out

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Key things that make me happy;

- we can focus entirely on polishing the systems we have and continuing to add new content via live updates and our next EXPANSION
-Your glider will work in any open-world map or city in Central Tyria once you’ve earned this Mastery ability
-Shatterer mustering a new Branded army
-Participation for events is getting an update!
-new optional key bindings for action camera, snap ground targeting, and autotargeting
-return of our Living World updates and the story picking back up

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Andovar Edoras.2143

Andovar Edoras.2143

I find it funny how the LW S3 part raises all those questions of rytlock and destiny’s edge and the survivors and canach and such…But not the big question of how the world will react to the sylvari from now on.
(racist Anti-sylvari groups?)

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Proof they actually read the forums. I’m honestly suprised.

I’m fairly certain all this is coming from the people who have given up trying to give their information on the forums and have moved to Reddit, where they actually do participate. Case in point: This thread has seen no responses. Reddit apparently has several already.

I wonder how many black lion skins they’ll cram in before they can be bothered to release the full set of new legendaries we were supposed to see in 2013?

The issue with SAB physics being a problem is more than a year old, at this point. And certainly if they’re able to make gliding work in the core game, they can fix jumping in a box? I feel it’s extremely unkind of you to suggest that they are capable of that level of ineptitude, in any case.

I hope the lunar festival has the 10k food thing again. I could use some gold. But I am looking forward to seeing the new rewards, truly. Assuming they’re drops, and not from the gem store.

Kudos to ANET for the account-wide inventory slots people have been asking for. I think it would’ve been sporting to give one out, but eh. It should still make a lot of people happy.

The balance changes sound painful, which is good.

I’m impressed to see a roadmap/state of the game again. It’ll be interesting to see how all this shakes out.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I’m going to be honest, there’s a couple of good things here. CT Gliding, the participation reward revamp; these are good.

Most of the rest of it feels like glitter and fluff, though.

A lot of people, even those that enjoy the expansion, can point to things they’d like to see changed, updated, or fixed. And this news seems to address a very large chunk of none of them. Instead, it comes across as disappointing hype and vague “not promises”.

But I guess it’s your paychecks on the line, not mine. So, let’s see what you really deliver, shall we?

Isn’t it ironic as well that they are already releasing a new raid wing this fast when about 90% of the population has yet to finish one?

Raids are not intended to be beaten by the majority of players. They’re hardcore, elite content. If most of the players can beat it, then it’s too easy for the raiding crowd.

And don’t forget that the latest raid is the one that gets bonus rewards. So, some of the rewards you get currently from Spirit Vale will be removed and put into the new raid.

If you want to beat the current raid, hurry. With the reward shift, a lot less people will be willing to run SV with you.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Acheron.5193

Acheron.5193

While the upcoming balance changes and everything that comes with it are great, I think quite a few of your player base are wondering this:

1. Whatever happened to one of your big selling points for HoT, namely legendary weapons? It’s been three months since the release of the first set of three, and I’m going to assume that will be the standard? So since no mention here, I’m going to assume it’ll be another 1-2 months before the next set of three? Thus, we can expect some legendary weapons to be released in 2018? At least give us an idea on timelines, for the love of god.

2. Ascended crafting cost: You mentioned in a previous post/twitch that you’ll be adjusting the cost for crafting ascended armor/weapons. It’s been quite a while since that happened. Was this just some random comment thrown out without any substance or is this actually in the planning stages? I realize coding is hard, and trying to juggle the economy without screwing up isn’t an easy job. But I can’t see adjusting the amount of items needed for a certain item to be that big a deal.

3. Judging from the previous posts in this thread, Anet replied to questions/concerns on Reddit yet again before replying here? If that’s true, consider this the first of official customer complaints, whatever that’ll achieve. I for one don’t use Reddit and I shouldn’t have to be forced to use a random forum over the official forum to get answers. If your employees are going to continue posting on Reddit instead of their supposed official forums, you’ll find not just me leaving these forums.

(edited by Acheron.5193)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I suppose gliding mastery will be available to everyone? including core and f2p accounts? if not they are going to feel excluded, not being able to follow a commander to say one example. I can imagine already, if you cant fly, get out!

It will be based on the mastery system. If you have gliding mastery in maguuma, you’ll have it in Tyria.

ANet Sean Source
EDIT: Sorry about the misunderstanding. That line specifically is referring to the currently existing “Glider Basics” mastery, not a new one.

Next post:
Anet_Sean
Apologies, I mis-read your post. Earlier in development you needed to earn a new Mastery ability to glide in Central Tyria, but we changed that so that the Gliding masteries you already earned just work in Central Tyria by default. I thought you were referring to that, and not the blog post.

If they feel left out, they can always buy the expansion and get it. A business doesn’t hand out for free things that are the big attractions for an expansion.

Interesting info. So ArenaNet was actually doing the RIGHT thing first, then changed mind to force people to buy expansion. For me it’s really obvious, the core Tyria masteries was originally intended for everyone for free, the red icons versus green icons, etc.

No, that’s not what he is saying.

The mastery system is for HoT owners only. If someone doesn’t have it then they don’t have access to the mastery lines at level 80. What he was saying is that at first they were going to make HoT purchasers complete a Tyrian mastery line for Tyrian gliding, then changed it to make the maguuma gliding work instead.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Oh yes, one more thing…

I’d forgotten this, but I do approve of the Shatterer update, at least in theory. (We’ll have to see how the new encounter plays to know if it’s good, naturally.)

I’m sad to see you telling us about it, though. This is one of the few cases where I think it would have been good to NOT warn of any of the changes, and just put them in. Especially if the encounter starts off the same as always, then changes.

Imagine doing a Shatterer encounter as it is now, and then he suddenly roars “Insects begone!” and lets loose a massive breath attack on the “safe” area that also turns anyone downed into crystal. A quick sweep of the wing follows, shattering and killing anyone crystalized/downed by the attack.

People would freak, and then flock to the new encounter. And from that day on, every serious world boss would be approached a little more carefully after every major patch, just in case…

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

Looks like they forgot to add that they’re working on Canttha and Elona.

One can dream QQ

Recognition of Your Support
Participation for events is getting an update! Supporting your allies will contribute toward event participation in most events across Guild Wars 2. You must still actively attack a target to receive rewards from them, but as long as you land a few attacks you’ll also get additional contribution from applying boons, removing conditions, reviving allies, and healing allies. These will all generate bonus contribution on top of your attacks, so players who mostly heal/support can earn the same credit as players who do large amounts of DPS.

Sounds cool

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

Logged into WvW yesterday and I had 16 unused bonus chests. I wonder how many people will come back to WvW if it takes another six months to fix it? Its completely dead IMHO, no one plays anymore, and that makes me sad. This update does nothing to change that but string people along.

32 bonus chests with main account, 78 bonus chests with another.

RIP WvW! If anet don’t make a change now, they might as well just forget it and pull the plug. There is no reason, no motivation to go to WvW anymore.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

My thoughts:
1. How are the metrics interpreted to analyse most successful parts of the game? eg. dungeon running has decreased due to the lack of rewards is this taken into account?
2. Concentrating on developing for the most successful parts of the game based on my experience is code for the budget is being cut so the dev focus is being narrowed.
3. Why are the WvW changes being made with no significant testing? The new rally mechanic in particular could have unforeseen consequences.
4. Gliding good I guess
5. Changes to squad also good.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: chemie banger.9624

chemie banger.9624

Again with the two updates at one time. ARRGH!!!!
Please no more.

Posted by: JPUlisses.8756

JPUlisses.8756

Im doing a huge pause from guild wars 2 and playing a lot of other games, only coming to gw2 to do dailies and some minor winter stuff.

But… wow those updates are cool, i never give up on guild wars 2, but that is too good to be true, but nice, specially the WvW updates.

Now you just need to add WvW autoloot and the game will be perfect.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

What’s going to be done about conditions? Condition application far outstrips your ability to cleanse it and with viper stats in the game they last way too long. Some cleanses like seed of life are on a charge, which can be interrupted and therefore delayed casting.

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Awsome updates! My question though… will Tengu ever be playable?? If so… about when?

Kima & Co

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

Oh yes, one more thing…

I’d forgotten this, but I do approve of the Shatterer update, at least in theory. (We’ll have to see how the new encounter plays to know if it’s good, naturally.)

I’m sad to see you telling us about it, though. This is one of the few cases where I think it would have been good to NOT warn of any of the changes, and just put them in. Especially if the encounter starts off the same as always, then changes.

Imagine doing a Shatterer encounter as it is now, and then he suddenly roars “Insects begone!” and lets loose a massive breath attack on the “safe” area that also turns anyone downed into crystal. A quick sweep of the wing follows, shattering and killing anyone crystalized/downed by the attack.

People would freak, and then flock to the new encounter. And from that day on, every serious world boss would be approached a little more carefully after every major patch, just in case…

You are severely overestimating the amount of people who actually read the forums/patch notes. I expect to see lots of people freaking out when this actually launches. Mweheheh.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I was expecting to see LS3 coming soon. For me, this feels like it has more value to the player base as a whole than a new raid wing for a small subset of players (and a subset of those potentially due to the player imposed limits on class participation)

Is regularly scheduled (new) content off the table now?

The goal of a living world feels further and further away since the first Southsun cove event. This makes me sad.

An increasing variety of game modes (including guild halls) seems to be diluting the amount produced for each. Is it just me that sees it this way?

Regardless, I will still continue to play the game and poke away.

I see no near term goals/achievements to look forward to out of that whole wall of text. Maybe I’ll roll a new character to glide my way through the leveling process in Central Tyria?

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

No mention of ‘visual noise’. Typical.

State of the Game Update —Q1 2016 by Colin Johanson on January 12, 2016

More Controls

We’ll be adding some new optional key bindings for action camera, snap ground targeting, and autotargeting so that players can use any of these features in either push-to-toggle or hold-to-toggle mode. Also, a new check box will be added to always show the names of objects you can interact with in the world, similar to the existing check boxes for player, NPC, and enemy names.

I see no mention of visual effect sliders for the “visual noise” nerfs, either.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Posted by: Sernius Alathar.6538

Sernius Alathar.6538

1. No word on changes to cost vs reward for the development of Guild Halls

2. No word on changes to the scribing profession to be not such a gold black hole.

3. No word on reverting the changes to dungeons – Seriously would hate to be a new player who wants to get these done or collections for them done they got royally screwed.

4. Deco change is okay, but needs alot more than just a boss trophy. And can you imagine how much its gonna cost (HINT: it only costs 26g for a potted shrub)

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I can’t believe you aren’t addressing the number one complaint: HoT’s gating.

Please read and REPLY to some of the complaints. Thousands of people have left the game because of the tortured frustration we have been forced to either endure or stop using our $100 purchase. Those aren’t good options.

Posted by: AESOkami.1072

AESOkami.1072

Although the new Shatterer event and gliding in core Tyria seems pretty cool, I am extremely frustrated and saddened, along with a bunch of other players, by what you guys are doing with the story.

So…nothing about what happens to the Pale Tree? The Nightmare Court?The entire sylvari race as a whole? No twist with Mordremoth? He’s just dead and that’s all we’ll ever see of him? And STILL no mention of Malyck?

Hell, the Black Citadel didn’t even change when Rytlock disappeared, so why should we care?

If anything, you’re just digging yourselves a deeper hole with this story. You’ll even lose ALOT of people VERY soon if you keep going this way.

The Elder Dragons could’ve been great if they weren’t victims of piss poor writing.

Daddicus.6128

Which is a wasted opportunity, community interaction is growing in importance and one of the (few?) things ANet is utterly outclassed at by most others in this space.

What’s really sad is that they used to be very good with their forums. THEIR forums.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I suppose gliding mastery will be available to everyone? including core and f2p accounts? if not they are going to feel excluded, not being able to follow a commander to say one example. I can imagine already, if you cant fly, get out!

It will be based on the mastery system. If you have gliding mastery in maguuma, you’ll have it in Tyria.

ANet Sean Source
EDIT: Sorry about the misunderstanding. That line specifically is referring to the currently existing “Glider Basics” mastery, not a new one.

Next post:
Anet_Sean
Apologies, I mis-read your post. Earlier in development you needed to earn a new Mastery ability to glide in Central Tyria, but we changed that so that the Gliding masteries you already earned just work in Central Tyria by default. I thought you were referring to that, and not the blog post.

If they feel left out, they can always buy the expansion and get it. A business doesn’t hand out for free things that are the big attractions for an expansion.

Interesting info. So ArenaNet was actually doing the RIGHT thing first, then changed mind to force people to buy expansion. For me it’s really obvious, the core Tyria masteries was originally intended for everyone for free, the red icons versus green icons, etc.

I think he meant the original plan was you would still need HoT but have to unlock gliding for Tyria separately, probably through the mastery system. So they changed it where you only need to unlock gliding once. HoT being required to unlock gliding of any kind was always the requirement.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Daddicus.6128

Ascended crafting cost: You mentioned in a previous post/twitch that you’ll be adjusting the cost for crafting ascended armor/weapons. It’s been quite a while since that happened. Was this just some random comment thrown out without any substance or is this actually in the planning stages? I realize coding is hard, and trying to juggle the economy without screwing up isn’t an easy job. But I can’t see adjusting the amount of items needed for a certain item to be that big a deal.

I think you misinterpreted them: they wanted the price to go UP, not down.

Posted by: Velho.7123

Velho.7123

From a PvE-focused perspective, with regards to the Balance Patch for Q1-2016, please do not touch the Revenant/Herald’s autoattack damage on Sword, it’s the only thing keeping it’s damage decent in comparison with the damage over time of other classes.

If anything, please buff the Mace, since it’s uncomparable in Condition damage, if it were buffed it would go a long way towards build diversity for a Revenant, since it’s the most underused weapon for PvE, with Hammer having the distance spot, Staff having the valuable Break Bar damage. A rework of the Mallyx line would also be interesting, since it’s trait synergizes with how Mallyx used to be in beta, not as it is right now.

Also would be awesome taking a look at the offhand sword, currently not used as much due to the Sword 5, Grasping Shadow, which has really low opportunities to be good, if any.

Really eager for Fractal Backpiece and choosing Fractals in the lobby!

Matt [LOD]
Guardian main since launch

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’m only a simple man with simple tastes… and I’m not ashamed to say that this update has a few things that are getting me excited: gliding, new shatterer achievements, fractal lfg and ui improvements, event participation through non-dps activities, squad improvements, the Brew of the Month Club!, some control improvements and the Lunar New Year event!!
There’s enough promise there for a filthy casual like me to keep busy for a while.

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Story continuation is in the “long-term” category? So we have to wait till at least March to find out what happens next? That’s a bummer for me.

The new Shatterer and gliding in Central Tyria sound fun, and Lunar New Year is always a good time.

Still, I can’t help but be disappointed that LS3 is still so far off.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Shatterer Update .. yay to even more wait-wars.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: AESOkami.1072

AESOkami.1072

I think it’s better off to just give up all hope on Arenanet and the game itself.
The GW2 community waited patiently for Heart of Thorns and a bunch of other amazing stuff promised to arrive with absolutely zero content in-game for 9 months and THIS is how we’re rewarded?

The point is that I’m just tired.
I’m tired of waiting for new content to show up.
I’m tired of the recycled Wintersday/Halloween events.
I’m tired of the story being so irredeemably awful.
I’m tired of being disappointed over and over.

The worst part? Guild Wars 2 was a game that used to really enjoy. Now it just seems like a chore.
The only reason why I open it up nowadays is to get the daily reward and chat with my guild. That’s it.

Shame on you, Arenanet. You’re not getting another cent from me.

The Elder Dragons could’ve been great if they weren’t victims of piss poor writing.

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

There is something HUGE missing from this post -

What about guild missions?

You talk about updating successful parts of the game. Guild missions are wildly popular with many people I know (and definitely within my very active very large guild – and definitely more than raids).

They haven’t been touched in years. Any chance we will see new guild missions anytime soon?

This isn’t the only blog guild missions are probably later in the year

Sylvari mean

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

No because masteries are HoT exclusive you need the expansion.

Sylvari mean

Posted by: Ark Haven.3701

Ark Haven.3701

2016 Things to come:

Backpiece
Backpiece
Backpiece

WvW update on hold until they design a new backpiece for it

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Not happy you are saying WvsW updates (aka bug fixes) will be delayed even further. I get the need for more pve content stories for all players to grind through…but when so much of your endgame content is broken, 2 hour grindware shouldn’t be your top priority.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Posted by: Kattenpootjes.4291

Kattenpootjes.4291

Oh I totally missed the part where they were talking about e-sports, so yeah, guess that’s where all the money goes..

Posted by: Willowfalls.9814

Willowfalls.9814

My feedback on the quarterly update is this: I honestly don’t understand the fascination with tweaking our spells every couple of months. Seriously people, this is a VIDEO game, not a sporting event. (Yeah, I know about the whole e-sport thing…) Anyway, the fantasy aspect of this game is FAR more important than whether this spell or that one is a little over or under balanced.

You’re just messing with people’s contentment with the game by constantly changing things. It’s like you’re more interested in the perfect balance in this “sport” than in understanding that people play these games because of how they look and whether the characters have cool spells and stuff. At least that’s why I play. I do dungeons or raid zones, not because I like doing them but because I want something that I can only get by going there. And that something is usually a piece of armor or a weapon or something you can SEE and will look cool on my character.

When I first started playing Guild Wars 2, I thought the skills/spells seemed a little underwhelming and they were all kind of the same. No profession really stood out. I came from another fantasy game, and the classes/professions were really unique, which was cool. I liked being strictly a healer. Here, everybody’s a healer and your best heal is your self heal. Okay, fine. Took some getting used to, but I got used to it. At least the game looked absolutely amazing… characters, landscape, spells… it all looked totally awesome.

Then we started with the “improvements”… first it was the town clothes that went away (no cool mixed outfits anymore), then the visual nerfs, and now everything’s up for grabs every 3 months. That doesn’t make sense to me. People DON’T like change. That’s why companies have whole change management strategies. Even if a change is good, people are generally resistant to it anyway because as human beings, we kinda like what’s familiar to us. I like knowing what my character’s skills do, and knowing how to use them. When you mix it all up on me every couple of months, it’s frustrating and annoying, not fun.

Now don’t get me wrong, ADDING things is awesome. In my humble opinion, what you guys ought to be focusing on is what cool things you could add to the game (armor, zones, effects, races, gems store stuff, whatever) and spend less time worrying about all these little changes all the time. That’s just REALLY confusing for the players.

Feel free to flame me if you must, but I’m just speaking my perspective on what I care about, and I suspect I’m not the only person who feels this way. I really like this game and I hope that you’ll take into consideration my point of view along with everyone else’s.

Posted by: Fellfoot.8156

Fellfoot.8156

What does this mean…?

“… once we’ve released this new format for WvW.”

Does this mean WvW will be so completely different that everything about the -old- WvW is done and over? No more 3 server 24/7 matches?

… and this…

“We may not be ready to reveal more in early 2016, but you’ll have an opportunity to get all the details and give feedback when we go into the beta phase of this massive project later this year.”

Beta testing? For everyone? Does this mean real beta testing, not just publicity stunt streamer testing? Does later mean February or December 2016?

Edit: You know what would be truly incredibly awesome? To have some of the members of this WvW overhaul team introduced during one of your Friday Guild Chat episodes. I never get to see them (Guild Chat) live, but I’d make an exception for that one ;D

[AIR] Henge of Denravi aka Pink Abu, [BAMA] RollTide
chopping wood one day, dropped a piece,
all I could say was, “…fell…foot…”

(edited by Fellfoot.8156)

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

1. How are the metrics interpreted to analyse most successful parts of the game? eg. dungeon running has decreased due to the lack of rewards is this taken into account?

That are the parts where people stay the longest and buy more gems with real money. In early/mid-2015 PvP was indentified by A-Net as such a part and that is why they focus on PvP and eSports.

2. Concentrating on developing for the most successful parts of the game based on my experience is code for the budget is being cut so the dev focus is being narrowed.

It does not have to be a budget cut, it just means there is not enough budget to develop all parts of the game. Of course, you do not make such a statement, if your company and its business is very successful and sales are increasing.

At first all ressources went into the LS and after that all ressources went into the expansion. And now they want to do both at the same time, but I assume not with a doubled budget, so the LS and the expansion each get only half the ressources/budget than before. So, yes, maybe you are right and it is some kind of budget cut.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

My feedback on the quarterly update is this: I honestly don’t understand the fascination with tweaking our spells every couple of months. Seriously people, this is a VIDEO game, not a sporting event. (Yeah, I know about the whole e-sport thing…) Anyway, the fantasy aspect of this game is FAR more important than whether this spell or that one is a little over or under balanced.

You’re just messing with people’s contentment with the game by constantly changing things. It’s like you’re more interested in the perfect balance in this “sport” than in understanding that people play these games because of how they look and whether the characters have cool spells and stuff.

Balance change (when something is underwhelming or in comparison overpowered, etc…) seems good for me.

But, Yes, I think they are focussing with this quarterly skill/spell changes/mixing mostly PvP and e-sports and they believe that would be fun. And that’s where the money is (they think).

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

I personally think the devs just don’t like the way these forums (barely) work, so they post on Reddit because they just like Reddit better.

Pity that. I don’t like how Reddit works.

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!