State of the Game Update —Q1 2016

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

My big concern about gliding in central Tyria… how are they planning to handle the existing jumping puzzles where gliding would make it a moot point or simplify them to the point of it being a glide to the final chest?

I hope they have area’s, still, around these JP’s where gliding is not allowed… and not by means of invisible walls. I spent time completing all of them myself without a mesmer providing a portal and would hate to see all the achievements mean basically nothing because we could glide to final positions in many of them. It also defeats the risk of the ones high up because you just glide to the ground and never die anymore… activate that portal and continue on. A prime example of this would be the end of the pirate JP in LA where you could select any of the three paths and just glide before you hit the bottom…

I guess it is a minor complaint but still want to know how this is being handled. Currently all I can picture is innumerable invisible walls to stop gliding from high points and going across the map to places where we should not be (think of gliding off of the lighthouse in LA for example or upper DR).

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

Posted by: shaquinna.2869

shaquinna.2869

Nothing about guild managing improvement… Makes me sad

- Seperate the ‘Admin Lower Ranks’ permission into: Invite, remove, demote and promote permissions.
- Add proper guild mission permissions to the guild permissions. Not just who can active the consumable, but also who can accept credit and who can start the missions at location for example.

Also, guild missions in general need way more love……

Evanny
[EU] Piken Square
Representing: ‘The Only One’ [One]

Posted by: josephporta.5918

josephporta.5918

No dungeons, no new fractals, short PVE. Anet guys this is a mmoRPG not a Super Mario game…

I am disappointed with the way that leads this, I prefer a GW1 HD to a GW2 sincerely.

Posted by: Gurni.1925

Gurni.1925

WvW big overhaul later this year will be too late…
why can´t Anet just give our old maps back till it comes????
WvW ist dying out …. and Anet ist doing nothing

Posted by: ImLegion.4018

ImLegion.4018

What does this mean…?

“… once we’ve released this new format for WvW.”

Does this mean WvW will be so completely different that everything about the -old- WvW is done and over? No more 3 server 24/7 matches?

… and this…

“We may not be ready to reveal more in early 2016, but you’ll have an opportunity to get all the details and give feedback when we go into the beta phase of this massive project later this year.”

Beta testing? For everyone? Does this mean real beta testing, not just publicity stunt streamer testing? Does later mean February or December 2016?

Edit: You know what would be truly incredibly awesome? To have some of the members of this WvW overhaul team introduced during one of your Friday Guild Chat episodes. I never get to see them (Guild Chat) live, but I’d make an exception for that one ;D

By that time they don’t have any wvw players left. Crowfall and Camelot Unchained will be there to take over. Some HC guilds have already started the next break again. And if there will be a beta you will most likely have to preorder the next expansion for €/$ 50,— to participate in it, where the overhaul will be in next expansion.

Piken Square

(edited by ImLegion.4018)

Posted by: Mostly Harmless.7046

Mostly Harmless.7046

Nothing about giving us an option to get our cool looking skills back…

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

And it looks like we’re geading north to Jormag for the next elder dragon campaign!

Curious to know where that info came from. I can’t see anything in the blog alluding to Jormag?

Colin wrote in the State of the Game blog post – in the spoiler bit following HoT under the “Looking Longer Term” paragraph;

COLIN

… while the heroes of the great invasion into the jungle investigate a strange disturbance to the north.

I was scratching my head why no one else has been picking up on this, or maybe I’m just reading it wrongly. Of course, it could be Primordius too, but ‘disturbance to the north’ that needs investigating sure as hell won’t be Kralkatorrik

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Colin wrote in the State of the Game blog post – in the spoiler bit following HoT under the “Looking Longer Term” paragraph;

COLIN

… while the heroes of the great invasion into the jungle investigate a strange disturbance to the north.

I was scratching my head why no one else has been picking up on this, or maybe I’m just reading it wrongly. Of course, it could be Primordius too, but ‘disturbance to the north’ that needs investigating sure as hell won’t be Kralkatorrik

The raid map is on the north side of the Tangled Depth. The ongoing raid releases are the “strange disturbance to the north”, that’s all.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Dondarrion.2748

COLIN

The raid map is on the north side of the Tangled Depth. The ongoing raid releases are the “strange disturbance to the north”, that’s all.

But this is under the Living World Season 3 paragraph, and I really doubt that they will combine raid content with LS3 story content seeing as the story will be far more tailored towards casuals… so I doubt it’s raid releases as you say.

Nike.2631

If this is the first time you’ve seen an MMO entangle its main plotline and raid plotlines, you’re in for a treat. ((sigh))

Dondarrion.2748

I come from Age of Conan, thank you very much…

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

2016 Things to come:

Backpiece
Backpiece
Backpiece

WvW update on hold until they design a new backpiece for it

Don’t worry, there’ll be new skins/weapons. They’ll just all be in the gemstore only. Its not like that they’ll change their habits.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

Ok it is a kind of grumpy post but from this post : https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Communicating-with-you/first#post4318087 there was a good sentence which said

A lot of the questions I’ve seen posted this week are as simple as this: does ArenaNet have an agenda to never do something? That’s almost never the case, and if it is the case you deserve to know and we’ll make sure we get more clear.

So I was wondering if this Q1 road map wouldn’t have been a great occasion to honestly tell us that the dungeons are dead. I know it is a bit old but I still find the way it has been done (the two lines in the economy blogpost) lacked of manners…

I’m a bit sad to see that LS3 is pushed later this year, especially since there were a lot inconsistencies in the story (nightmare court, timing issues, sylvari hates …. ) but I think the goal is to finish the story of the raid first so it makes sense.
Generally I think it is good to give this kind of sneak peek of the development for the next months, I just wish that in between there would be some High end philosophy blog post about development of the new things.
Just to give an example, players were surprised to discover the 4 stats combos in HoT but sadly I didn’t see anything about the philosophy of it. Why 4 ? Why did you choose those stats? Why is there a higher stat budget? Why concentration minor and associated with toughness? Why having a full offensive stat combo…. Well so many questions that were never addressed. I know it wouldn’t change the result but it is interesting for some of us to know how the design for new gameplay

Posted by: EKAN.4051

EKAN.4051

WvW big overhaul later this year will be too late…
why can´t Anet just give our old maps back till it comes????
WvW ist dying out …. and Anet ist doing nothing

WvW kinda alrd did. Take a look at the Eu server leaderboards….Most of elite is gone and with them alot of followers. Hope I’m wrong tho…

“Death is just another path”

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Glad shatter is getting and update.

But I will be disappoint if I cannot get his wings! Holo is cool, but tired of A-net’s blue bias!

Also + glider plz

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Posted by: Grymlocke.1067

Grymlocke.1067

Take a look at the first of our quarterly State of the Game Updates here.

As always, your thoughts are welcome!

Hi Gaile

I have had a good look at this and wanted to volunteer my own feedback regarding the notes on upcoming balance changes i was wondering on 4 key points

1: Shroud traits moved to accommodate specific skills to make them more fluid including:

- Vital Persistence made base
- spite/death magic rework and such ?

2: Skills updated to be more useful etc

Death Shroud

Skill 1 Slightly changed to become a Triple attack (3 attacks within the channeled 1.5 seconds) reduce original damage by 10-15%
Skill 2 Changed to a aoe Cripple/Chill field after telephoning you to the target
Skill 3 Short increase to fear duration perhaps?
Skill 4 For this skill would be nice if we could Add a short 3 seconds of Stability
Skill 5 Add more conditions to this or perhaps add stability while channeling?

Reaper Shroud

Skill 1 Add a 4th attack that if it hits makes the next 3 attacks quicker?
Skill 2 Add knock down to targets while passing through them
Skill 3 Add 2 more seconds? or change fear to a Stun ?
Skill 4 If possible to add a pull effect while channel-ling?
Skill 5 seems to be a good cc breaker but lack luster at anything else,

3: A Slight Q.o.l change to reaper/death shroud

Currently when entering Reaper/Death Shroud with settings set to:

Graphics
Animation: High
Post Processing: High

The screen goes green and the hue/saturation slowly changes to quite a nice change however I was wondering if it was possible to take this one step further and make it go more with the theme of as stated by Robert Gee The reaper " Horror theme" to make it go almost Black and white so to speak or as an old fashioned horror film would go that grayish silver type of color

is this at all possible ?

4: Allowing Backpacks to be seen in Death/reaper Shroud and become part of the Shadow Cloak effect

The change from Necromancer to Reaper in my humble opinion was beyond amazing and would like to see it improved

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I guess it is a minor complaint but still want to know how this is being handled. Currently all I can picture is innumerable invisible walls to stop gliding from high points and going across the map to places where we should not be (think of gliding off of the lighthouse in LA for example or upper DR).

If there are updrafts, then there can be downdrafts as well. And if an updraft is strong enough to fling a glider high into the air, then a downdraft will be able to slam a glider into the ground. So, this is what I expect them to use when needed.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Nike.2631

Glad shatter is getting and update.

But I will be disappoint if I cannot get his wings! Holo is cool, but tired of A-net’s blue bias!

Also + glider plz

Odds are pretty good non-holo Shaterer wings are one of the rewards for doing all the achievements.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I’m looking forward to some new WvW. It does sound like they removed the whole original structure and designed WvW from the ground up. At least that would explain why it is taking so long. I am looking forward to that, whether the WvW update is too late or not according to some people, I haven’t touched WvW seriously in ages anyway. (saying it’s too late now seems out of place for me.)

Anyway, what I’m wondering is whether Q2 will get a similar blog post? because it definitely sounds like it.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

The bulk of what is listed there are essentially new features and quality of life changes for a game that has become incredibly boring.

I am surprised you are keeping down this development path after releasing an expansion that many people, including myself, regret buying.

I mean, what did we get? Four new areas? What’s the incentive to do them? To acquire one of three (THREE) new ugly armor skins in a game whose dominant focus has been horizontal progression in the form of acquiring the skins to make your character look cool? Not to mention none of these skins rivaled the degree of flair and uniqueness of the skins you sell us for money in the gem store.

I guess I can do the new areas to farm endlessly for new stat prefixes that offer nothing in terms of vertical progression, but rather allow me to play different builds at an exuberant price point in comparison to the stat prefixes like berserkers that have been available since day one. In a sense, deviating from non glass cannon builds in PvE results in me paying a huge penalty, a penalty that only exists because you are running out of ways to incentivize players to play the game.

Maybe, I can invest a year into grinding out massive amounts of trivial materials in order to acquire a single legendary item in what is the biggest gold sink I have ever seen. It’s invention wasn’t designed with the player’s fun in mind, but rather a solution to market inflation in a game whose model of little vertical progression results in very little reason to buy or sell anything. After you get your first legendary, the flair and desire to acquire another tapers off greatly, because the time and investment compared to the reward is incredibly imbalanced.

I suppose I can level my masteries, but they are cyclical in nature. You grind out HoT content to acquire new masteries which allow you to access and do more content that doesn’t offer any unique rewards that justify completing masteries in the first place. I can gain updraft to gain access to areas that result in what benefit? Another mastery point to spent on another mastery? A chest that rewards me with the same junk blue and green items I acquire from every other chest?

Unless you find satisfaction in doing endless, long grinds to acquire a single legendary item that may provide some sense of achievement 6 months down the road, the only incentive the game has to play it’s content is the quality of the content itself. In that regard, it is somewhat quality content. I find the experience of doing Dragon Stand to be somewhat entertaining….when I can actually do it. The design of the new HoT maps result in me essentially having to plan my schedule around a video game. If I want to do Dragon Stand, I have to be on at a certain time to try and taxi my way into a map before they all fill up and if I miss that window, I get to wait 2 hours to try again.

So the state of the game is….

- Broken PvP meta that is the result of ambitiously introducing new elite specs for every class and a new class into the pool at once and will most likely continue to stay broken, because you only do balance patches once every three month that involve a major number of changes that just break the meta in an entirely new way.
- Redundant and boring fractals that offer very little in terms of content experience at higher levels with the only incentive to do them being a couple of skins that require a heavy time investment.
- Dungeons that are now pointless to do, because they offer nothing in terms of monetary reward and challenge.
- New HoT Meta events that can only be done if you plan your schedule carefully and offer nearly nothing in terms of reward.

But hey…you know what the game really needs? Shared inventory slots for 700 gems, gliding in old zones and an abundance of new quality of life features to make playing a game that is continually becoming more and more stagnant, stale and boring easier.

I suppose the one bright side is the success of raids, but targets a very specific demographic of people and if you are in that demographic, I would kind of wonder why you have been playing GW2 for the last three years, since it’s offered zero in that regard up until this point.

My money I spent on HoT mostly got me a month of halfway decent enjoyment before I got tired of logging on to only find SW maps in LFG and started wondering why I was even bothering to try to do the new content in the first place.

You have no kittening idea what your game is anymore or what direction is going in and your response to that is just to constantly throw tons of new features and gimmicks at us to get us to spend more money.

(If you are sensing a degree of anger here, your perception is correct, because as one of the first players to start playing GW2 at it’s release, I’ve just pretty much paid for the game twice and really got nothing out of it)

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

(edited by MadRabbit.3179)

Posted by: hoc.8506

hoc.8506

“Gliding in Central Tyria”

Attachments:

Why dome something today, that you can leave for tomorrow, tomorrow.

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

WvW big overhaul later this year will be too late…:(

This, and the sad part is WvW in GW2 could be absolutely epic compared to any other MMO in history. Many games have tried hard to have the kind of pvp participation that WvW has attracted here in Gw2 and its an opportunity missed if its not saved and expanded upon.

And if something is going on I’d be sharing that with the community and praying it helps to slow the exodus that is, and has been occurring….

Someone with vision…please wake up.

(edited by Kamara.4187)

Posted by: Shadow Master.7586

Shadow Master.7586

This, and the sad part is WvW in GW2 could be absolutely epic compared to any other MMO in history. Many games have tried hard to have the kind of pvp participation that WvW has attracted here in Gw2 and its an opportunity missed if its not saved and expanded upon.

And if something is going on I’d be sharing that with the community and praying it helps to slow the exodus that is, and has been occurring….

This is a game created by sickeningly pacifistic hippies, where every character in the player factions who isn’t killed off as a villain, is a blatant Mary Sue goodie-two-shoes that can do no wrong, has no flaws, and does everything for the greater good and democracy and world peace.

This is a game where humans, after having one of their major kingdoms OBLITERATED by Charr, are now holding hands with said Charr and singing songs, instead of brutally massacring them in the name of righteous vengeance.

This is a game where there is ZERO way to negatively affect other players, where everything is shared, like mining nodes and kills and everything.

ArenaNet is the most blatantly, disgustingly carebear game developer in the history of the video game industry.

There’s absolutely nothing surprising about them being utterly incompetent in regards to developing content where players fight each other.

If they were competent at it, they would’ve implemented player factions (by race) and world PvP in the actual game world.

But they didn’t. They chose to go the hippie route. There’s no reason to expect them to suddenly become competent at any PvP content.

We rip each day from life’s teeth.

Posted by: Brian.6435

Brian.6435

Some things I hope to see in 2016 pertaining to building on what’s already there. Probably never happen but here goes:

- Better graphics
deeper more epic looking skyboxes. Big rolling clouds and starry filled night sky’s. The sky’s for 90% of the maps in tyria are very dull and the clouds just DO NOT look right. I think Bloodtide coast and Diessa Plateau are the only 2 maps that have good looking sky’s to them.

Shader options
Contrast slider
Improved texture packs

The game is just starting to look dated to me. Well it’s been looking dated for a while now to be honest.

-Custom player homes
I want to be able to completely deck out my home instance to look and feel unique to me, I’m talkin street and environment decorations, npc’s and vendors that you can find in all the major cities, and my own personal house that I can fully customize with wings, furniture, npc’s, and decorations.

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

One game was better a few years ago called Archlord. The whole world was open pvp with the exception of towns and cities unless you agreed to gvg with another guild.
So the leveling and item acquisition was similar to roaming and the fight for the 4 castles was similar to ebg. It was simply concentrated at finite objectives though where fights HAD to occur for victory rather than ring around the rosie, pocket full of karma.
GW2 WvW was certainly a close second but i have only been here just shy of 2 years thus I may not have seen the climax of what wvw can be.
What i HAVE seen though is a steady progression in the wrong direction and dwindling participation over that time… especially since HoT.
Too little communication and predictable ANET behavior is not very hopeful that things will improve but yes, if it occurs at the end of the year, it will be much too late.

Constructive portion:
-return old bl’s until patch/ overhaul is ready
-keep the desert bl as an alternative eotm if you want to keep the map or simply cycle it in with old maps if you must but 9/10 wvw’ers would prefer the map just get trashed.
-tell us what you are planning regardless of your “policy” which is just a red herring tactic anyway
-if you cannot give ‘any’ information about what you are planning then tell us what you ‘cannot do’ ; e.g. "we cannot bring back old bl’s; we cannot fix population without erasing servers, etc… it doesn’t have to be breathtaking admissions or amazing preludes just SOMETHING

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

This is a game created by sickeningly pacifistic hippies, where every character in the player factions who isn’t killed off as a villain, is a blatant Mary Sue goodie-two-shoes that can do no wrong, has no flaws, and does everything for the greater good and democracy and world peace.

This is a game where humans, after having one of their major kingdoms OBLITERATED by Charr, are now holding hands with said Charr and singing songs, instead of brutally massacring them in the name of righteous vengeance.

This is a game where there is ZERO way to negatively affect other players, where everything is shared, like mining nodes and kills and everything.

ArenaNet is the most blatantly, disgustingly carebear game developer in the history of the video game industry.

There’s absolutely nothing surprising about them being utterly incompetent in regards to developing content where players fight each other.

If they were competent at it, they would’ve implemented player factions (by race) and world PvP in the actual game world.

But they didn’t. They chose to go the hippie route. There’s no reason to expect them to suddenly become competent at any PvP content.

I had a hard time reading your ranting after your Charr post, since you clearly haven’t been paying attention to anything at all in regards to the story. Or Ascalon, or Divinity’s Reach, or anything at all in regards to Charr-Human interaction. You didn’t even pay attention back in Eye of the North.

Attachments:

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Chamelion.9536

Chamelion.9536

As a casual player, I can not put in any valued opinion on WvW, PvP and many of the complaints I have read here; However, for My own personal view; there are many changes, additions and so on that could be offered to entice players to play more often.

I’d love a ‘home’ that is unique to each account.. that you can perhaps place rewards and items into to show off to anyone you ‘invite in’. Though, now that sounds like playing Sims.. but whatever.

Less of a gold/gem sink for items of little value over all. Skins should be earned IMO, though not as difficult as they seem to be for casual players.. outfits look pretty but spending money for gems to get them? meh… at least offer them both as a way of obtaining them in the game by completing missions or so on, AND offer them for gems for those who want to skip the progression of the game.

Oh, the bugs.. floating Dylaks, creatures fighting from inside rocks.. funny but annoying.

I know the GW2 touts itself to keep players even in certain ways but a bit more openness on altering the GUI interface with weapons and skills and maybe, in the same vein as WOW, having the ability to place some items into slots on the left/right of the action bar for items we may want to use regularly without opening bags would be nice.

Oh, and expanding the 11 slot limit in the bank! If you charge 400gems for a bag slot or bank slot, allow for more slots so people will chip in gems to get them. I have all 11 and two bank slot tokens sitting helplessly in the bank… that could open up so much more space.

Shared account item slots; nice, but 700 gems for one slot? Cut it down a bit or allow bags and harvesting tools to be utilized from them… that would be quite nice of Anet to allow

Finally. a ‘dream’ request which is just for kicks and I know wouldn’t be taken seriously; but it would be so much fun to be able to swap toons while IN the game… in a battle as a Guardian and think the Necromancer would do better, one click and woosh, you’re in the same battle as the Necro (of course, only if you have said characters already).. Just a whimsical thought.

C

Posted by: Willowfalls.9814

Willowfalls.9814

Agreed. My friends and guild mates used to spend every night in WvW for at least the last year. After the expansion, we tried it a couple of times and hated it. Haven’t played more than probably 30 minutes in the past couple of months. We provided feedback, but it apparently fell on deaf ears like so much of the feedback here does.

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

Gaile for president

Even better than ‘Deez Nutz’

Posted by: Fellfoot.8156

Fellfoot.8156

Gaile for president

Even better than ‘Deez Nutz’

Gaile already has better job than the pres.

[AIR] Henge of Denravi aka Pink Abu, [BAMA] RollTide
chopping wood one day, dropped a piece,
all I could say was, “…fell…foot…”