Status of new races/classes?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: chaosblackdoom.9182

chaosblackdoom.9182

I’m curious about, as the topic states, if ANet wants to make us able to play other races new classes. I would think this would be a bad idea because people have devoted a lot of resources to their characters, and if it turns out they have a Warrior and want a Tengu Warrior or what have you, having two warriors is redundant. I myself have all 8 classes and some races are obviously duplicated. If a new race were to come out, I’d want to delete one of my duplicates, but the time and effort I have devoted would make me want to buy a character slot and then create and redundancy and feel like I completely wasted my time. If a new class came out, I’d just get a 9th character slot and nothing would really change.

I tried looking through search and didn’t find anything, but I might have been looking at the wrong keywords? Anything official from ANet about this?

Lemme know what you think as well as I know many people love the idea of new races and classes, but perhaps haven’t considered what would happen for someone who already had every class made.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Nothing official that I know of. But the racial issues you brought up are non-issues, plenty of games do this and they solve it by adding a race change functionality to the “make over” kits. Since you can buy premium items with gold in this game (converting gold to gems), its even more durable for the process than most.

As for new classes, the current ones are incomplete and poorly balanced, why would they add more?

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Id love for more classes and a new race. But their development focus is on LS.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: McFly.2134

McFly.2134

Somewhere in an interview, a Dev confirmed that new classes and races are not scheduled to come anytime soon, definitely not this year. They have talked quite a bit about brainstorming ideas regarding the third soldier profession. So yeah, ANET has commented on the possibility of such, even if they are on the backburner for now.

Wisdom through suffering.

chaosblackdoom.9182

Nothing official that I know of. But the racial issues you brought up are non-issues, plenty of games do this and they solve it by adding a race change functionality to the “make over” kits. Since you can buy premium items with gold in this game (converting gold to gems), its even more durable for the process than most.

As for new classes, the current ones are incomplete and poorly balanced, why would they add more?

The thing is, ANet have said that you won’t ever be able to change race with a make over kit. That’s my worry. IF they made a new race and then somehow made that functionality, and you just regain the skill points you used to unlock your racial skills then that’d be fine. Seems like for people to be comfortable with it they’d have to make that happen before a new race was even released. I understand a lot of people DON’T have all 8 classes accounted for and either just have 1 or the standard (5?) classes and never bought a single character slot or somewhere in between. For them, it’s perfect and I’m sure they’d love it.

I’d like to see the 3rd Soldier class to complete the cycle, just have to wait and see if it really happens. I mean, the game’s only been out a little more than a year, who knows if they may get to that at next year’s christmas.

Definitely calling ascended armor is gonna roll out on Christmas Day server time since they said sometime this year and there’s only so many days left, but that’s off topic. =3

Posted by: CelebrityX.7014

CelebrityX.7014

I’m all for a new class / new race. To touch on your comment OP I personally don’t find it redundant to have more than one of a class. I have 15 characters (one of each profession then 2 more guards/warriors/eles, and 1 more ranger), but to each their own I guess.

Posted by: Zerole.7306

Zerole.7306

I wouldn’t plan on race change ever being added. It would essentially re-write the early personal story for that character, which I assume ANet would never be on board with.

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Probably wont be getting a new class any time soon. Look forward towards new weapon possibilities for each class instead!

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Request to ANet – Dervish (scythe + wind/earth prayers + mysticism) and Ritualist (spirits + communing/channeling/restoration + weapon spells) please

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Phadde.7362

Request to ANet – Dervish (scythe + wind/earth prayers + mysticism) and Ritualist (spirits + communing/channeling/restoration + weapon spells) please

This reminds me. I would Love a profession with a dark theme, such as the Necromancers, but that also is more complex to utilize. (I play as an Engineer with a build that require a lot from the user compared to a Grenadier-build. The Necromancer feels too dull and easy…)
Wouldn’t mind if this profession also was a bit smashy =)

Cred to Latinkuro

chaosblackdoom.9182

I’m all for a new class / new race. To touch on your comment OP I personally don’t find it redundant to have more than one of a class. I have 15 characters (one of each profession then 2 more guards/warriors/eles, and 1 more ranger), but to each their own I guess.

I wish you would have explained why it is you have it like that and the way you feel. It’s good to know there are people that have more than one of a single class though. =)

chaosblackdoom.9182

Probably wont be getting a new class any time soon. Look forward towards new weapon possibilities for each class instead!

Oh really? =D That I’d be totally down for. I’m already making 2 legendaries (trident for ele, harpoon for engi) and I’d like to see what they do.

Phadde.7362

Oh really? =D That I’d be totally down for. I’m already making 2 legendaries (trident for ele, harpoon for engi) and I’d like to see what they do.

You’re making the Trident? That’s amazing!

They have stated that they kinda look forward towards adding in new weapons (with new skills attached, of course), they’re just waiting for the right time.

Cred to Latinkuro

Posted by: Revlis.1958

Revlis.1958

I WANT MY DERVISH!!! If they brought the dervish class back with the scythe and having elite skills being the avatars I would totally play the game again and start a new character

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

What kind of pets would a Quaggan Ranger have?

Posted by: Baclavaman.9054

Baclavaman.9054

What kind of pets would a Quaggan Ranger have?

Fishy?

Fishy in the water and dried Fishy on the ground ( tied to a rope dragging behind running quaggan).

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

They definitely will be adding new professions and races in time. We just don’t know when:

“… but we absolutely are going to do sweeping new features that you would traditionally only get in expansions – large regions, content and progression additions to your characters in the form of growth and professions and races. Those are all things that you will see in the lifespan of Guild Wars 2.”

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

I do not see the issue OP. Adding new races/classes is standard practice in any MMO. In fact, it’s absolutely expected. Just roll a new warr. Or race change if/when they add that feature. It’s not really a big deal at all.

edit: gah, why the necro? -_-

(edited by xarallei.4279)

Posted by: Siiick.2430

Siiick.2430

Hiya guys….OK first think is this game needs new races don’t get me wrong this game is good but the races seem to me a bit lacking I mean if your going to do away with the trinity system and take a dump on no questing aka we have events and change party makeup from a traditional standpoint the next evolutionary process is a great selection of race and class hands down. It’s my personal belief here that this game could be epic with the right push and I believe one of the pushes would be new Class/Race’s and possibly some other form of questing besides waiting for an event to trigger because there is no natural leveling process I mean lets face it who wants to spend hours of there life waiting for the right event when quests could be there to save you from boredom and shelving this game.

Posted by: Nyel.1843

Nyel.1843

The Races here are awesome.

Go for SW:TOR and the new TESO. The races there are generic and boring. And in equip they look all the same. Same height, same width… just boring. I love the GW2 races because of their diversity, culture and humor.

But yeah. Tengu would be great.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Very much doubt we will see a new race/class anytime soon. A true shame.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Tael.5432

Tael.5432

I would prefer more armor skins for light, medium and heavy for the races we have rather than adding more races. We have amazing customization with dyes, but the number of skins could always use some love.

But that’s just me. 5 races seems like plenty.

Fairy Tael – Elementalist

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

I expect that ANet will release new races and professions eventually, just not any time soon. As for making a new character, well, if they release a new race and a new profession at the same time… problem solved, right?