Staying competitive?

Staying competitive?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

The math clearly shows that the stats on these items are 20-50% higher than those on exotics. don’t buy the propaganda that says that these differences are trivial. The gear grinders will throw all sorts of other nonsense in to confuse the issue.

Add 11 power as you go from berserker exotic ring to berserker ascended ring. Witness 0.4% increase in dps.

Yes, it’s a big increase on the ring, because the numbers on rings are quite small. It doesn’t actually increase your character’s performance to a detectible amount.

Sometimes I think this game would benefit from dps meters cuz the gamer market is so weak at quantitative thinking (it’s been a few years, but another symptom seeing fewer than 10% of the seats in my grad math courses at a top US university filled by US students).

The formulae are out there. Seems like almost no one looks at them, and even fewer that look at them can manage the algebra to comprehend.

Staying competitive?

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

a 20% increase is still a massive one.

They say they will continue to release new pieces.

This means a complete set with 20% more effectiveness WILL be part of this game if they are not convinced otherwise.

20% more effective stat is essentially a whole new 20 trait points invested in whatever line you choose.

that is HUGE. It is not at all insignificant.

Agreed, don’t listen to the pro-grind propaganda. The new gear, as shown by the posts here are 20-50% higher on the ascended gear. Don’t be fooled by the pro-grind crowd.

The gear is 20-50% higher, perhaps. The overall affect on the stat pool however.

My Ranger has 1846 power currently. He gains +30 upgrading to the Vine of the Pale Tree should he get it .The total stat increase is 1.625135428% when carried to 10 significant digits.

. . . please, explain more how the stats are 20% more effective, higher, or whatever.

What you are avoiding is the fact that there will be additional Ascended gear eventually. Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that the stats on a full set are 20% higher than exotics. The net effect will be an increase of 20%, not 1.625135428%. This should be obvious. And, the degree doesn’t even matter. That point is really moot. As I’ve said elsewhere, it’s the direction that’s the problem not the degree. What we are discussing is vertical progression. GW2 is a game about horizontal progression. My source on this is AreanaNet so take it up with them.

Staying competitive?

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

The math clearly shows that the stats on these items are 20-50% higher than those on exotics. don’t buy the propaganda that says that these differences are trivial. The gear grinders will throw all sorts of other nonsense in to confuse the issue.

And you are clearly trolling. And if youre actually serious then I think you should probably just uninstall the game, the community is better off without you.

So you resort to personal attacks when you cannot present a legitimate counter argument? Ok.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Staying competitive?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

This means a complete set with 20% more effectiveness WILL be part of this game if they are not convinced otherwise.

20% more effective stat is essentially a whole new 20 trait points invested in whatever line you choose.

Agreed, don’t listen to the pro-grind propaganda. The new gear, as shown by the posts here are 20-50% higher on the ascended gear. Don’t be fooled by the pro-grind crowd.

The gear is 20-50% higher, perhaps. The overall affect on the stat pool however.

My Ranger has 1846 power currently. He gains +30 upgrading to the Vine of the Pale Tree should he get it .The total stat increase is 1.625135428% when carried to 10 significant digits.

. . . please, explain more how the stats are 20% more effective, higher, or whatever.

What you are avoiding is the fact that there will be additional Ascended gear eventually. Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that the stats on a full set are 20% higher than exotics. The net effect will be an increase of 20%, not 1.625135428%. This should be obvious. And, the degree doesn’t even matter. That point is really moot. As I’ve said elsewhere, it’s the direction that’s the problem not the degree. What we are discussing is vertical progression. GW2 is a game about horizontal progression. My source on this is AreanaNet so take it up with them.

A – You don’t know that yet, we haven’t seen full Asended gear. It could be a total boost of 20% or 200%.

B – Even if it is a boost of 20%, that doesn’t necessarily translate to how it adds into the total. These numbers do not exist in a vacuum, as gear is not the sole effect on your statistics.

C – My point isn’t about the direction, it’s about the continuous claims made without data and only extrapolation. It’s an increase. The severity of that increase is being exaggerated.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Staying competitive?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

And you are clearly trolling. And if youre actually serious then I think you should probably just uninstall the game, the community is better off without you.

So you resort to personal attacks when you cannot present a legitimate counter argument? Ok.

So did you, referring to me as a “gear grinder”. Who, mind you, has a grand total of two Exotic pieces being worn. One of which is a fricking box.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Staying competitive?

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

What gear do you wear? Whites? If not, why not? You’ll find the answer.

I where what I think look the best and that happens to be dungeon gear

(edited by Kromica.2831)

Staying competitive?

Columba.9730

So did you, referring to me as a “gear grinder”. Who, mind you, has a grand total of two Exotic pieces being worn. One of which is a fricking box.

Why is a gear grinder considered an insult?

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Staying competitive?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I don’t know, it’s certainly carrying that connotation lately around here. Saying basically “if you want to grind for gear, for any reason at all, you are not welcome”.

Staying competitive?

Columba.9730

I don’t know, it’s certainly carrying that connotation lately around here. Saying basically “if you want to grind for gear, for any reason at all, you are not welcome”.

Actually, I see the opposite. If you don’t like grinding dungeons, you are not welcome.

Staying competitive?

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of everyone telling me to go DIAF because i’m not “FotM lvl 30… err.. 40… err.. 50.. err.. 60.. err.. what is the new arbitrary ‘infusion requirement’, etc for me to actually PLAY THIS GAME WITH EVERYONE ELSE LIKE ANET ADVERTISED?”

When blizzard pulled something like this it was a deliberate joke for april fools!

Staying competitive?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of everyone telling me to go DIAF because i’m not “FotM lvl 30… err.. 40… err.. 50.. err.. 60.. err.. what is the new arbitrary ‘infusion requirement’, etc for me to actually PLAY THIS GAME WITH EVERYONE ELSE LIKE ANET ADVERTISED?”

When blizzard pulled something like this it was a deliberate joke for april fools!

Yeah, I’m sorry I can’t hear you over the cries of “you don’t know what you’re talking about so shut up”.

Staying competitive?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Actually, I see the opposite. If you don’t like grinding dungeons, you are not welcome.

. . . dungeons were in the game before this, and people ground dungeons before this for their Exotics. Now that Ascended exists that’s now the target people are saying is what is the problem.

“You have to grind the dungeons to get the gear to keep up.”

So is it the gear, or the dungeons?

Staying competitive?

Columba.9730

Well the ascendants are only available in the dungeons. so yes, you must grind them now.

Staying competitive?

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Exotic Berserker’s Ring (Without Slot item)

As you can see, Berserker’s Ring Exotic vs Crystalline Band Ascended are not hugely different. 10-11% difference overall.

Now apply that 4 more times over the entire trinket slot throw in the back piece as gravy and you have 50% increase in stats just from those 6 slots.

Staying competitive?

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

W
WvW
- Gear means nothing since most of the time its about who has the bigger group

This is incorrect since WvW is evolving into multiple smaller groups.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Staying competitive?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Well the ascendants are only available in the dungeons. so yes, you must grind them now.

I’ll just leave this here.

W
WvW
- Gear means nothing since most of the time its about who has the bigger group

This is incorrect since WvW is evolving into multiple smaller groups.

Yeah, but for a reason. It’s easier to be mobile and stealthy when you have a smaller group. If you’re more mobile, and your opponent doesn’t see you coming you can slip in, do your work, and get out before they come back. I’ve seen this done primarily to flip supply camps so a keep can be starved out. Or “right before the tick, we take SG and VL”. (Yes I probably have two on different maps, but I don’t have them up right now.)

Most of the time I’ve been playing it’s been more that straight confrontations are avoided except in keep sieges where you’re looking at “not small groups”.

By the way, I do agree that WvW isn’t solely about large group vs small group. But it’s part of it anyway.

Staying competitive?

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

The gap the new gear brings will only get wider over time. Why? Because they will be adding more over time. Arena.net said this, not us. So today it is a ring or two and a back item. Tomorrow (figure of speech in regards to time) they will add weapons. We have already seen on accident (maybe, maybe not) the stats because Legendaries got the bump which was soon patched back to normal.

So today those that play have some serious choices to make. And those who are not playing today but may buy the game a couple months down the road now have a mandated gear climb in order to play or be on a equal playing field. We can all agree or disagree but the facts speak on their own merit.

Exotics are not the end game gear.
FoTM will require gear to get past level what, 10 or 15, depending on player skill (dodge).
People are already being selective on players being added to groups.
LFM FoTM level 15 (compared to new 80 seeking level 1, 2).
No LFG tool.

How many post in the forums that actually play is a tough nut to judge. I really don’t know but the mother of all merged threads I’d say in my opinion most didn’t like the new gear and suggested multiple ways of getting around it.

Be that as it may, we are not the developers nor do we pay the bills over there. I only know of the 6 RL people who started to play this together I’m the last one standing. T/Spvp isn’t it for me. For me it is exploring the world (gear doesn’t matter) and WvWvW.

And to the chap who said WvWvW is all zerg. Yeah, probably for most. However, there are people that actually run in groups of 4 or 5 and do very well. Amazing how fast 3 to 4 people can take a keep and opposing groups can’t really tell becuase there are no crossed swords…

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Staying competitive?

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

pretty sure its the “You have to grind to keep up.”

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

Staying competitive?

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Exotic Berserker’s Ring (Without Slot item)

As you can see, Berserker’s Ring Exotic vs Crystalline Band Ascended are not hugely different. 10-11% difference overall.

Now apply that 4 more times over the entire trinket slot throw in the back piece as gravy and you have 50% increase in stats just from those 6 slots.

It’s 11 power per 3 pieces, if you’re going max power build. The net effect on your regular direct attacks, for a typical exotic-80 character will be about 1.25% increase in damage.

Here’s another way to look at it.
You get 5496 total stat points, while naked, just for being lvl 80.

You get 70 trait points, each of which translates to the equivalent of 20 stat points (for example my guardian can spent 1 trait point and get 10 precision and 10 condition damage), for a total of 1400 stat points.

Damage dealt is based off weapon strength, which for my guardian is 950ish or 1050ish, so let’s just call it 1000 which directly adds with power in damage calculations.

So… a character without any stats from gear already has 7900 equivalent stat points. (here I’m talkin equivalent stat points, because for example on a helm you could have 32 precision, say, or 2% crit, so those 2% crit are the equiv of 32 stat points)

A whole exotic armor set has the equivalent of 763 stat points on it, i.e. less than 10% of your naked stats.

That’s why if you add 11 power to a back armor piece, it really doesn’t add up to anything detectible. Even if you do it across the whole set, the vast majority of the stats that enter into your character’s performance come NOT from gear, so small-moderate increases on all the pieces still doesn’t add up to much.

A more direct way to determine all this is to look at the forumulas, but that takes algebra.

Staying competitive?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

pretty sure its the “You have to grind to keep up.”

I can grasp that, but it always seems to change when the argument is brought up. The dungeon is the problem, the gear is the problem . . . if you’re going to point to the grind as a problem then you need to address the grind and not the result.

Okay, you should address the grind instead of the results. You don’t need do do anything, really. But you should really consider it . . .

Say they do this.: Solve the grind. Not the gear, not the dungeon, but the grind. Would it then be acceptable?