'Strengthening the Core Game'

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ridley.3691

Ridley.3691

Many times, when people suggest things they’d like to see added to the game, they’re told it’s not gonna happen, because ANet are currently ‘strengthening the core game’. I was just wondering how they’re actually doing this.

To me, doing that would entail adding permanent features and large amounts of solid, permanent content that’s accessible to many people. However, while there has been some permanent features, like the LFG tool, which is great and all, the majority of the content we see regularly added is temporary. Temporary content does -not- strengthen the core game, because in a few months time, how much new content have you actually got in your game? Not a huge amount.

Just looking for other people’s views on this.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Core game = ugly backpack skins.

They’ve strengthened the core game a lot the past few months.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

People honestly use this excuse? Really?

In recent memory, the only improvement to the “core game” was the LFG tool, which is a feature most expect as a given in modern MMOs.

Posted by: Kosmo.5187

Kosmo.5187

One of my biggest beefs is with people who reject ideas on the forums based on the notion that more important things need work first. Nothing will ever get accomplished if this is the train of thought applied. Furthermore, nothing really speaks against the possibility of both working on the core game and adding quality of life and other updates. In my humble opinion there should be a team dedicated exclusively to “meaningless” updates. The other nine hundred teams can continue to add champion farms, but I’ll forever be puzzled by the community’s rejection of good suggestions based solely on their idea of resources.

I would personally even take it one step further. I’d easily sit out several updates (not that I think this is necessary) if it meant adding a bunch of cool tweaks to the game. Killing thousands upon thousands of punching bags only keeps my attention for so long, and after that point it would be nice to see the living world actually be living and very much a world. Using a waypoint to go kill robots doesn’t do that for me.

Think of the possibilities.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I’ve seen some amazingly fantastic suggestions that were never even given glance by Anet. I’ve come up with a few myself that were nearly perfect ideas. There are still bugs left over from beta. There are still so many things wrong with the “core game”. The UI is one of them – meaning that we can’t adjust the size of any windows or move our health orb around the screen. I would very much like to see improvements to the core game instead of piling on temporary content that I will most likely never do.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

It means they are improving what is already in the game rather than add new content.

But fear not, for every decision there will always be someone naysaying.
There’s people demanding crystal desert, new dungeons and whatnot, and others crying against new content and demanding core game development.
It’s impossible to satisfy gamers, everyone has their idea of what should be done.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

World event revamp = core game (GW2 wants MM for O open world events)
LFG tool = core game
Ascended weapons = core game
Changes to magic find = core game

Reasonable complaint but wrong timing.

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

World event revamp = core game (GW2 wants MM for O open world events)
LFG tool = core game
Ascended weapons = core game
Changes to magic find = core game

You did NOT just list Ascended weapons as an improvement to the game…