[Suggestion] About Outfits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shadow.9847

Shadow.9847

When we got the outfits the way they are now – hide whole armor and dont change the armor pieces and you can turn it off and on whenever you like – some of us liked that – but what we lost ?

More or less we lost a part of the customization accessibility and that is a turn off. I suggest to keep the current features and add skin for each individual armor piece so we can use these skins in a way we want.

I must agree that it cant be done with every outfit – there are going to have a loads of clipping and maybe some skins are going to become even unbearable to wear with other armor skin combinations.

Even though it may not be possible for every outfit – we know its possible for some – we already have seen it. But isnt it better to add this feature and leave the potential clipping ones the way they are now ?

This is definitely going to increase the desire for outfits but at what price they are going to be after all its gonna be outfit + 6 individual armor skin pieces.

The current outfits are at price 700 gems – for hide whole armor and show the outfit skin without any additional individual armor skin pieces but wearable by every profession despite being heavy, medium or light armor, turn off and on whenever you want (even in combat) and lets not forget that some have brawl toys .

Currently full armor skin with 6 individual armor skin pieces – costs 800 gems.

Arenanet maybe will increase the price of the outfits which have both option – to turn off/on and to get 6 armor skins if the change happen

I want to hear what is your opinion – do you think its bad idea or good one – does it needs something else or something removed ?

P.S. Sorry for the bad english skills

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

You are not the first to suggest this, nor will you be the last. All the reasons are pretty much summed up in that thread.

Posted by: Depths.4051

Depths.4051

When we got the outfits the way they are now – hide whole armor and dont change the armor pieces and you can turn it off and on whenever you like – some of us liked that – but what we lost ?

More or less we lost a part of the customization accessibility and that is a turn off. I suggest to keep the current features and add skin for each individual armor piece so we can use these skins in a way we want.

I must agree that it cant be done with every outfit – there are going to have a loads of clipping and maybe some skins are going to become even unbearable to wear with other armor skin combinations.

Even though it may not be possible for every outfit – we know its possible for some – we already have seen it. But isnt it better to add this feature and leave the potential clipping ones the way they are now ?

This is definitely going to increase the desire for outfits but at what price they are going to be after all its gonna be outfit + 6 individual armor skin pieces.

The current outfits are at price 700 gems – for hide whole armor and show the outfit skin without any additional individual armor skin pieces but wearable by every profession despite being heavy, medium or light armor, turn off and on whenever you want (even in combat) and lets not forget that some have brawl toys .

Currently full armor skin with 6 individual armor skin pieces – costs 800 gems.

Arenanet maybe will increase the price of the outfits which have both option – to turn off/on and to get 6 armor skins if the change happen

I want to hear what is your opinion – do you think its bad idea or good one – does it needs something else or something removed ?

P.S. Sorry for the bad english skills

sounds like a good idea to me.
I’d be glad to see them do away with full armor outfits and bring back 6 piece sets even if it costs a little more. Even if I really like an outfit, if it isn’t customizable in anyway, I am very unlikely to use it much, because looking like you came out of a cookie cutter just isn’t worth it.
It’d be nice if the costume slots for 6 pieces of armor were all togglable.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The entire point of outfits is that they are not customizable; if they were, they would just be ordinary armor.

From the developer’s point of view:

• Outfits are cheaper to design & test — each of the 10 designs only has to be tested against itself; they do not need to be tested against any other armor or outfit in the game.
  • Easier to list on the gem shop: one item, one price.

For the player:

• Outfits can be applied without transmutation costs.
  • Outfits remain the same, regardless of changes to the underlying armor.

All of these benefits would be lost, if outfits were customizable.

(Of course, armor piece skins have their own benefits, which as pointed out by the OP are lost by using outfits. The point is: there is a reason why outfits can’t be customized.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Depths.4051

Depths.4051

The entire point of outfits is that they are not customizable; if they were, they would just be ordinary armor.

• Outfits are cheaper to design & test — each of the 10 designs only has to be tested against itself; they do not need to be tested against any other armor or outfit in the game.
  • Easier to list on the gem shop: one item, one price.

For the player:

• Outfits can be applied without transmutation costs.
  • Outfits remain the same, regardless of changes to the underlying armor.

All of these benefits would be lost, if outfits were customizable.

(Of course, armor piece skins have their own benefits, which as pointed out by the OP are lost by using outfits. The point is: there is a reason why outfits can’t be customized.)

I realize that its easier for the developers, but as a player, the loss of customization is a very large demerit to outfits.
Personally, I’d still prefer new armor sets to new outfits.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Thing is… they don’t test them. Pretty much all outfits have clipping, low res texture problems, legs/hands/heads/tails disconnected from the body and visible seams on the body. Some of these were fixed but many more were just shrugged off and forgotten.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Thing is… they don’t test them. Pretty much all outfits have clipping, low res texture problems, legs/hands/heads/tails disconnected from the body and visible seams on the body. Some of these were fixed but many more were just shrugged off and forgotten.

I’m not sure I equate “they didn’t eliminate all the clipping issues” with “they don’t test them”. In any case, the point is moot: regardless of how well they are QA’d, it still takes more resources to make armor pieces (there are a lot more dye combinations, animations, etc to handle).

The point I am making is that the advantage of outfits over armor is entirely on their absence of customization options, both for ANet and for the player.

• For ANet, it takes more resources to create six armor pieces than a single outfit. It also takes more resources to allow people to mix and match with an outfit, since that is the very thing that allows outfits to require less time.
  • For the player, the outfit remains the same regardless of how you change the armor beneath it. That advantage is lost if you can turn off parts of the outfit (and therefore need to pay attention to the armor below, along with its colors).

This doesn’t mean that ANet has found the right balance between outfits (more frequently added, only via the gem shop these days) and armor (infrequently added and only via Living Story). I’m just explaining why a customized outfit ends up being a worse choice than either an outfit or an armor set.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

I like outfits for leveling up, because it doesn’t make sense for me to customise armor that I can’t use 2 levels later. Sadly often they only look good when you do a human character of medium size and with short hair.