[Suggestion] - Add "Order/Pact Missions"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lord Krilik.3692

Lord Krilik.3692

It’s a simple suggestion, but I’d like to see special missions and rewards added to the game that you complete specifically for your order.

These could be repeatable and rely on a token reward system (Dungeons) or point system (Karma).

In the first instance, the token could be badges related to your Order.

In the second they could be “Honor” or something to that effect.

The missions can be a mixture of solo and group ones and can place you in instances with other members of your Order. Examples could be defending outposts (Vigil), subterfuge and assassination (Whispers) and exploration/experimentation (Priory).

Think Guild content (exploration, missions, rush, etc) but for the Orders.

This would be especially rewarding from a lore perspective and for Guilds who form based on their Orders for roleplaying.

Posted by: Eight O Eight.8257

Eight O Eight.8257

I like this idea. I really wished they had done something further with the whole ‘Orders’ thing. After I got past that portion of the story line, I completely forgot what order which character was even in.

Posted by: Ashandar.2570

Ashandar.2570

This I like!
After all, even though we are now commanders in the pact, that doesn’t mean that we have left our order, so it would be nice to have more order related stuff.

In due time, all will serve the asura.

Lord Krilik.3692

The great thing is they can add new missions along with Living World releases.

For example, new maps means new areas to explore (Priory) or villages to defend/ outposts to claim (Vigil), or people to manipulate (Whispers).

It would also mean the Orders remain integral to the story.

Lord Krilik.3692

What about missions that overlap as well?

For example, the orders could unite to explore a cave within a stronghold of some type. The Whispers could have an objective to sneak in open the gates. The Vigil could then be tasked with fighting off the main forces once the gates are open. The priory could have an objective to gather artifacts within the cave.

It’s a basic thought that needs more fleshing out but it would be really fun to see this kind of interaction between the Orders in the Pact.

Posted by: Nadesh.7953

Nadesh.7953

I like this ideas. I think the game has a great world map with many places and events, but with no many reasons to go there. Something like the order missions could be a great way to make people to go to the different places, travel around the maps and feel rewarded for do it.

They could always use things we alredy have (and add new things ofc) to do it, like events, bosses, puzzles, renown hearts (if they make them repeteable). Most of the stuffs are alredy there, they only need to create a system that send the players to those places and reward them.

This could work like an expansion of the daily goals. They could keep the daily goals as the basic ones, rewarding with achievement points and laurels, and add new daily goals separated in categories. We could have order goals (would be unlocked when we join one), race goals (would be available since the start of the game, depending on the character we are playing) and then pact goals (once we join the pact).

They could also make monthly ones. This ones could be more like the personal story, when the players selected which strategy they wanted to use to acomplish the mision.

The rewards could be with tokens or points. Apart from that they could add reward npcs in each map or general npcs that unlock rewards like they do in the new map (Dry Top).

They could also add a Bounty Hunt, something like the guild ones but for all the players.

Also could be Duels, which could be related to the bounty hunt. The idea would be to add npcs, like the Queen’s Champions (from Queen’s Jubilee event) or the ones from the group known as Modus Sceleris. This npcs could be challenged to duels and the player that beat them could get rewards.

I posted something like this here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Reputation-and-Invasion/first#post4199005

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

Why aren’t they funding this??

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

On one hand, I like the idea… but I wonder if that’s really how the devs want to proceed from a lore perspective.

While you ARE a member of an order, I kinda got the feeling that by the time Zhaitan falls you were kinda “above” that, whatever order you chose understood you had a bigger responsibility.

It’s a great idea, don’t get me wrong, and I would LOVE for the orders to get more play beyond the background they are currently, I just don’t know if that’s a sort of direction Arena.net would entertain going.

But I suppose it doesn’t hurt to ask and find out. I’d support it for one.

Lord Krilik.3692

On one hand, I like the idea… but I wonder if that’s really how the devs want to proceed from a lore perspective.

While you ARE a member of an order, I kinda got the feeling that by the time Zhaitan falls you were kinda “above” that, whatever order you chose understood you had a bigger responsibility.

It’s a great idea, don’t get me wrong, and I would LOVE for the orders to get more play beyond the background they are currently, I just don’t know if that’s a sort of direction Arena.net would entertain going.

But I suppose it doesn’t hurt to ask and find out. I’d support it for one.

Well they recently said that we are simply one commander among many, so i don’t think it would matter too much because we are clearly equalled in rank by other unannounced members (they were more than likely referencing other players).

In this regard, they could always have the Orders missions as something you gain once you become a commander in the pact. The Orders story missions already have you going on missions for your order, so this would basically be a way of extending your connection to your order once the pact is formed.

On the other hand, it could be something you are required to complete your personal story for – that way they can say that the pact has now split back to their general duties investigating the dragons and these missions contribute to that.

Lord Krilik.3692

Have edited the topic to include Pact as I feel there would be a distinction between a mission for your order and one that merges the whole pact.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Abit like Zaishen Bounties, except being their own missions.

Rewards depends on the quality of your work.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Lord Krilik.3692

Abit like Zaishen Bounties, except being their own missions.

Rewards depends on the quality of your work.

That’s a good idea!.

It would be an nice way to bring elements of GW1.

Perhaps if the Zaishen ever come back they could add Zaishen Challenges as missions available form your Order. I.e there could be a Zaishen rep join your Order.

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

This is a neat idea. Personally, I’ve always felt that having some extra Order based objectives during open world events like Battle for LA or even a whole map like Dry Top would also be interesting both storywise and gameplay. It’s something I hope we’ll have time to touch on the future.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

There could be events with a basic objective, then bonus objectives depending on order.

For example, when taking over some fort that was captured by dragon minions, whispers could get an order to sneak in, and sabotage and take out key objectives fro the inside, vigil could get orders to build the support a battery of siege weapons (defending them, rebuilding broken ones, recovering ammunition, defending supply lines from a nearby camp…) while priory test experimental weaponry on the enemies or analyze the structure of the fort, applying “structural vulnerability” in the walls they analyze to make them weaker against whisper sabotage explosions and vigil siege.

If you are not in any order you can always just attack the door and kill stuff, you simply won’t get bonus “order faction”.

Among the stuff you could get with this “order faction” there could be discounts in the weapons and armor, and them some other stuff like the ones you can find in the guild vendors, like minis, potions and back items. They could even sell the dyes of their respective order as part of a “factions” dye set that includes the colors typically used by Seraph, lionguard, the legions, the orders, etc.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Azure Fang.8605

Azure Fang.8605

Our entire back story should have some more bearing on everyday gameplay.

• Bonus objectives in open world events based on your story selection only visible to players with that selection. Let’s use the “save the farm” event in Queensdale for example.
    • If you selected Dignity: BONUS – Take no more than X damage.
    • If you selected Ferocity: BONUS – Personally kill X bandits related to the event.
    • If you selected Charm: BONUS – X/X farmers must survive.
  • Repeatable subquest lines and daily instances based on Order (now made possible with the story journal).
    • Vigil: Settlement/town protection instances.
    • Priory: Dungeon/ruin delve instances.
    • Whispers: Settlement/town espionage instances.
  • Daily racial incursion instances in associated territories surrounding the major cities based on racial/background enemies (Asura vs. Wayward experiment results/Inquest/Skritt/Ogres [“first contact” style due to racial sympathy] out in instanced chunks of Maguuman zones and inside Rata Sum, for example). These could be treated as “Activities” in terms of new racial achievements and “Daily Activity Participation”.
  • Daily Orrian cleansing missions for players in the Pact chapter or have completed the personal story.

On a note to the racial and order instances, this could be used as a springboard to add a faction bonus system similar to GW1. Further, an Asura could bring a party of non-Asuran characters into a daily Asura instance. The Asura would get 100 faction points, while the others would get 25, allowing faction gain and experience cross-racial content.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Isn`t that something that people wanted anyway? I can remember a lot going on in the CDI… btw when is the new one starting?

Posted by: Maroah.8607

Maroah.8607

I really like this idea. It feels a bit similar to what Wildstar has done. It will be a winning concept if implemented correctly.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

I love this idea! It would also be very cool to have a nice set of exotic gear similar to the dungeon type and would open up a reward system for those of us who prefer solo over organized group content. I mean I love some of the dungeon armor but that style of play is something I have never really enjoyed due to my crazy schedule and this could be an amazingly simple solution. Kudos Lord Krilik!

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Lord Krilik.3692

This is a neat idea. Personally, I’ve always felt that having some extra Order based objectives during open world events like Battle for LA or even a whole map like Dry Top would also be interesting both storywise and gameplay. It’s something I hope we’ll have time to touch on the future.

Do iiiiit!

Although, aren’t those open-world events now replaced by instances for the Living Story?

Lord Krilik.3692

I love this idea! It would also be very cool to have a nice set of exotic gear similar to the dungeon type and would open up a reward system for those of us who prefer solo over organized group content. I mean I love some of the dungeon armor but that style of play is something I have never really enjoyed due to my crazy schedule and this could be an amazingly simple solution. Kudos Lord Krilik!

Are you suggesting perhaps a way to earn dungeon tokens soloing?

So some of the missions could be solo trips inside the dungeons and surrounding areas that also reward dungeon tokens, but perhaps reward slightly less and are generally quicker to do? (10 mins each?)

Posted by: Elvirais.5472

Elvirais.5472

++ would love to do some missions for my order, would greatly help in making the orders feel alive!

I play Guild Wars for WvWvW – Piken Square !
Marush Ifri, Noreena Gorun, Arsaname, Desra Ele…

Nadesh.7953

There could be events with a basic objective, then bonus objectives depending on order.

For example, when taking over some fort that was captured by dragon minions, whispers could get an order to sneak in, and sabotage and take out key objectives fro the inside, vigil could get orders to build the support a battery of siege weapons (defending them, rebuilding broken ones, recovering ammunition, defending supply lines from a nearby camp…) while priory test experimental weaponry on the enemies or analyze the structure of the fort, applying “structural vulnerability” in the walls they analyze to make them weaker against whisper sabotage explosions and vigil siege.

If you are not in any order you can always just attack the door and kill stuff, you simply won’t get bonus “order faction”.

Among the stuff you could get with this “order faction” there could be discounts in the weapons and armor, and them some other stuff like the ones you can find in the guild vendors, like minis, potions and back items. They could even sell the dyes of their respective order as part of a “factions” dye set that includes the colors typically used by Seraph, lionguard, the legions, the orders, etc.

I like that, they could even make it work with something like i suggested here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Reputation-and-Invasion/first#post4199005

Invasion

This is something we alredy had in the living story with the Scarlet’s invasions.

1) A first kind of invasion would be done by the same kind of mobs that we can find in one map, for example the Flame Legion, the Pirates, etc. Could happen at random maps each x amount of hours.

2) World Boss invasion: this kind of invasion would be leaded by a world boss (mainly dragons like the Claw of Jormag, Tequatl, etc) and would happen before the boss event start. For example, with Tequatl the bone ships and risen could start to attack the map and could be events to kill them or defend specific places. The dragon could fly all over the map and help its troops by landing in some places and attacking the players or simply throwing its poison breath. For example, when the Claw of Jormag breath, it could deal damage over the enemies and turn the allies (for example the Sons of Svanir) into Icebrood. When the characters win the invasion the dragon land and the final fight against the boss start."

Could have tasks like destroy x, scort a caravan with suplies, get ammo, build weapons and other defenses to put a stop to the invasions.

About the rewards, i was thinking something in those lines. With the tokens/points they could do something like in Dry Top, when the npc unlock the rewards the gold cost could be lowered and the rest payed with tokens. At the start they could simply sell the order’s armors and weapons, and later they could add more rewards to make people want to keep doing the events and stuffs.

Edited:

Another idea, they could ask to build airships, siege golems and other stuffs like those to help to repel the invasion. For example, when an airship is built an event start which ask the players to go on board and then destroy an enemy airship or enemy flying dragons or another mob.

(edited by Nadesh.7953)

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

I would love to see some optional faction farming in GW2, like Kurz/Lux or SS/LB.

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

gee, i dunno.. an mmorpg with quests. . . how long have you been in tyria? you must be new here.. i mean, the resources it would take to cram scarlet, mordremoth, and the pale tree into orders missions.. it boggles the mind

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

gee, i dunno.. an mmorpg with quests. . . how long have you been in tyria? you must be new here.. i mean, the resources it would take to cram scarlet, mordremoth, and the pale tree into orders missions.. it boggles the mind

What are these, quests you speak of? I always thought that MMO’s were made of nothing but endlessly repeating public events…..oh and pixie dust, unicorn farts, and pictures of cats!

Lord Krilik.3692

Not really quests we’re suggesting here. If you played GW1 and saw the Zaishen challenges (which someone referred to up above) then it’s really more like that style of content.

In FFXIV you can do missions for your faction. These differ from quests in that they have an impact on elements of the game, allow you to gain specific rewards and add more to the world itself.

The quests in FFXIV are what NPCs dotted all over the world give out, and usually resort in you getting an item, killing some mobs, etc.

We’re differentiating between repeatable faction missions that can have a wider impact on the world (and can come in the form of say, raids or dungeons) and contribute more to the story, rather than simple errands for random npcs.

Just to be clear, this thread isn’t my roundabout way of suggesting raids (I’ve actually never played raid content in an MMO before and have not played WoW), but it did just occur to me that such content could later be implemented on top of the system being discussed here.

(edited by Lord Krilik.3692)

Nadesh.7953

I liked what they did with this new part of the living story since they used existent events for it. This is exactly what they could do for the daily order missions or other kind of daily missions.

Daily bounty hunts could also use existent events.

There are a lot of events all over the world, we just need to be pointed at them and sent, like they did with this LS.

I like this ideas. I think the game has a great world map with many places and events, but with no many reasons to go there. Something like the order missions could be a great way to make people to go to the different places, travel around the maps and feel rewarded for do it.

They could always use things we alredy have (and add new things ofc) to do it, like events, bosses, puzzles, renown hearts (if they make them repeteable). Most of the stuffs are alredy there, they only need to create a system that send the players to those places and reward them.

This could work like an expansion of the daily goals. They could keep the daily goals as the basic ones, rewarding with achievement points and laurels, and add new daily goals separated in categories. We could have order goals (would be unlocked when we join one), race goals (would be available since the start of the game, depending on the character we are playing) and then pact goals (once we join the pact).

They could also make monthly ones. This ones could be more like the personal story, when the players selected which strategy they wanted to use to acomplish the mision.

The rewards could be with tokens or points. Apart from that they could add reward npcs in each map or general npcs that unlock rewards like they do in the new map (Dry Top).

They could also add a Bounty Hunt, something like the guild ones but for all the players.

Also could be Duels, which could be related to the bounty hunt. The idea would be to add npcs, like the Queen’s Champions (from Queen’s Jubilee event) or the ones from the group known as Modus Sceleris. This npcs could be challenged to duels and the player that beat them could get rewards.

I posted something like this here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Reputation-and-Invasion/first#post4199005