[Suggestion] Dots on map for friend locations

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Boss Nomad.6487

Boss Nomad.6487

Currently there are yellow dots on the map for guild-mate locations. I think it would be great if this feature was also enabled for friends list. Instead of yellow dots, friends locations could be marked with green dots or any other color than yellow.

This would require two way friendship to prevent “sniping” and other bad things.
There could be two checkbox settings for this feature:
- “Disable friend location markers”
- “Hide your location from your friends”
There could also be similar checkboxes for the existing guild-mate location feature.

This would be helpful in many ways and i cannot think of any major negative impacts of this to the community.

I tried to search for suggestions similar to this but i did not find any.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

This is pretty much already in the game. If you are in a party the dots show up on the map already.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I think Boss Nomad is asking for dots whether or not you are in a party, so long as you are mutual friends.

I like this idea, particularly with the toggle options suggested. I’d certainly rather spot friends than have my mini dot trailing me around Boss Nomad, you should post your suggestion in the QoL suggestions sticky up top.

Posted by: LadySwan.8751

LadySwan.8751

Perhaps I’m in the minority.
BUT, I would not like this one bit. As someone who already dislikes the whole friending system as is, (Randoms can add and know your location without so much your approval or even notification), I don’t see the reason for those mutual friends to also see my location in map. If I wanted them to see where I was in map, I would simply add them to my party/guild.
Just cause I add you back as a friend doesn’t mean I want you to know everything about me, e.g; my exact location in the map. Having my general location (map name)Should be fine enough.

It’d take what little sense of privacy I do have, away.

Call me paranoid, but this would drive me so far away from the game. Sorry!

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

As LadySwan mentions, you can friend someone without their knowledge or consent so being able to track their movements would be unwise for Anet to add. For current dots on the map, you consent to being in a party or a guild.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol