[Suggestion] Gift of Battle acquisition

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

The only way to get a Gift of Battle (required for Legendary crafting) is via a WvW reward track.

Please change this, preferably by adding an additional method that can be done by playing exclusively PvE content; be that fractals, open world, dailies, achievements, crafting, dungeons, world bosses – whatever works.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The entire purpose of the gift was to get players to do WvW and was probably why they moved it to a reward track rather than bought with badges.

Reward track progress can be gained by doing many of the WvW dailies which require no enemy player interaction. Killing a dolyak, taking camps, and so forth are really no different than PvE dailies since you’re fighting NPC’s.

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

Can we make it so wvw players don’t have to do the far more tedious world completion?

Posted by: Maethor.2810

Maethor.2810

I don’t like it either – but it’s better than having to do full WvW map completion, which is what it used to take to obtain.

As inconvenient as it is for us PvE only folks, it’s less fair for the people that do PvP/WvW only having to do map completion for those Gifts.

So until they do something that makes both sides happy I don’t see this changing.

~Signe Grimsdottir | Wynne Everheart | Magiere Massing~
The Archivist’s Sanctum [Lore] – Just Us Grown-Ups [JUGS]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

As a Open World PvEer, I hate WvW. With my medical condition, it stresses me out too much, makes my hands shake among other negative physical reactions.

That being said, I did get a Gift of Battle through the reward track by following a zerg for a few hours in the Edge of the Mists, and I’m slowly working on a second one.

I still can’t stand WvW, or any kind of PvP for that matter, but if I can do it, you certainly can too.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

dace.8019

I did manage it in a few hours (with the aid of boosters) pretty much by following a zerg. My experience was negative throughout. Putting aside taste, since I know some people actually like it, the game could barely run even on minimum settings in these zerg fights. Playing with an FPS normally in the hundreds with every maxed to having it go full slideshow on the ugliest mode actually gave me a headache.

Ayrilana.1396:

Reward track progress can be gained by doing many of the WvW dailies which require no enemy player interaction. Killing a dolyak, taking camps, and so forth are really no different than PvE dailies since you’re fighting NPC’s.

That’s helpful, but it’s at best a workaround (and at worst a frustating no-go).

Hesacon.8735

Can we make it so wvw players don’t have to do the far more tedious world completion?

I understand where you’re coming from with this, but that’s not relevant to this suggestion and you’d be better served (if you’re genuinely asking for that) posting that in its own thread or in the threads about that. This shouldn’t be another pointless debate about which mode is better/worse, either.

Maethor.2810

I don’t like it either – but it’s better than having to do full WvW map completion, which is what it used to take to obtain.
As inconvenient as it is for us PvE only folks, it’s less fair for the people that do PvP/WvW only having to do map completion for those Gifts.
So until they do something that makes both sides happy I don’t see this changing.

If my memory serves that was only relevant for overall map completion. The old method for acquiring the Gift of Battle was 500 Badges of Honor and nothing else.

Maethor.2810

That is the issue of fairness regarding the exclusivity of rewards from one mode to the other, which is the basis on which this suggestion is ultimately predicated. So, by all means, I’d welcome that (and an extension of that to other items/rewards/gear).

(edited by dace.8019)

Posted by: Maethor.2810

Maethor.2810

uldn’t be another pointless debate about which mode is better/worse, either.

Maethor.2810

If my memory serves that was only relevant for overall map completion. The old method for acquiring the Gift of Battle was 500 Badges of Honor and nothing else.

Maethor.2810

That is the issue of fairness regarding the exclusivity of rewards from one mode to the other, which is the basis on which this suggestion is ultimately predicated. So, by all means, I’d welcome that (and an extension of that to other items/rewards/gear).

Nope you are right. I am misremembering that part. I just remember it taking forever and a day to finally get through the WvW map completion to be able to get what I needed, because like Endless I am extremely high anxiety and anything PvP is terrible on me. So it was that I was stuck on, and less the GoB.

Though, as Endless Soul also says, Edge of the Mists isn’t too bad. It feels like WvW Lite though the track progress there is not quite a quick as it is on the standard borderland maps. But log in on a weekend, check and see if there’s a commander leading a zerg, pop some WvW XP boosters and have at it.

That’s how I got mine when I wasn’t bribing my WvW-liking friend to work on my track for me in exchange for jumping puzzles and adventures

~Signe Grimsdottir | Wynne Everheart | Magiere Massing~
The Archivist’s Sanctum [Lore] – Just Us Grown-Ups [JUGS]

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

I think it actually works well / as intended by having it as a WvW reward track. In that I’m a PvE player, 95% of the time I’m doing open world stuff.

But recently I decided to get a Gift of Battle, dreading the thought going into WvW as I was expecting it to be toxic and stressful, however I discovered two things.

1) It’s actually quite easy to get, it seems you get stuff toward your reward track for pretty much anything you do. Following a zerg with boosters makes it a lot quicker though.

2) By about halfway through the reward track you start to discover that actually WvW isn’t as scary or as hostile as it first seems, and you can learn quite a lot about WvW just by following a good comm around and paying attention to what’s going on.

In my case I actually ended up enjoying it, and when I get time will still go back and play in WvW from time to time. A mode which until now I’d ignored.

Now of course not everyone will enjoy the mode, but if you try and do the whole reward track with the mindset that you’ll always hate it then, it will never be fun. But if you try and pick up/learn a bit about WvW while you’re doing it, then the time flies by a lot quicker and you’ll have the Gift of Battle before you realise it.

I can also see a bit of logic having things for legendary weapons split across different modes, in that it means a player crafting a legendary gets experience in various areas of the game, in theory making them a better all round player.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The only way to get a Gift of Battle (required for Legendary crafting) is via a WvW reward track.

Please change this, preferably by adding an additional method that can be done by playing exclusively PvE content; be that fractals, open world, dailies, achievements, crafting, dungeons, world bosses – whatever works.

Why would this be a good thing for the game? Why do you think ANet changed the requirements for the GoB more than once, each time making it less convenient for those who are strictly PvE?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Although slow, one can obtain the Gift of Battle without ever setting foot in WvW. Of course, it does require access to a Guild Hall with the appropriate upgrade.

Thus, ArenaNet has already provided an alternate means of obtaining the Gift of Battle.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I think that the Gift of Battle should be tied to competitive play, but I also think that there needs to be a PvP Reward Track as well as a WvW track for it so that players have options.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Alanar.9854

Alanar.9854

I actually enjoyed this. It makes you play other types of content whether you think you’ll like it or not. I actually liked it more than I thought. Might not play it often, but I’ll definitely come back for some other reward tracks.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I understand the frustration, but I also understand why they made it exclusive to WvW and have repeatedly updated how it’s obtained to ensure that you have to play WvW to get it.

I recently got one through the reward track after not playing WvW for years, and never playing much before that. I honestly didn’t find it that bad and got the whole thing done in approximately 6 hours. WvW is not a mode I especially enjoy and it can be very inconvenient for me because ideally you need to be able to commit to being there for a few hours at a time, and at peak times, but completing 1 reward track is certainly do-able.

If anyone’s interested here’s a guide I wrote which is aimed at people who have never played WvW before but want the Gift of Battle: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Gift-of-Battle-Catmander-for-WvW-newbies/first#post6703914

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I wish we could get it through a PvP reward track.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

I understand the frustration, but I also understand why they made it exclusive to WvW and have repeatedly updated how it’s obtained to ensure that you have to play WvW to get it.

I recently got one through the reward track after not playing WvW for years, and never playing much before that. I honestly didn’t find it that bad and got the whole thing done in approximately 6 hours. WvW is not a mode I especially enjoy and it can be very inconvenient for me because ideally you need to be able to commit to being there for a few hours at a time, and at peak times, but completing 1 reward track is certainly do-able.

If anyone’s interested here’s a guide I wrote which is aimed at people who have never played WvW before but want the Gift of Battle: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Gift-of-Battle-Catmander-for-WvW-newbies/first#post6703914

That looks like a great guide as it is. Your first paragraph here though is not entirely accurate. There are methods of obtaining the GOB without actually playing WvW, created by Anet, and they have been posted on this forum. They are time consuming, and take months, but then so is the collection of all the other components required to make a legendary weapon.

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

Why is this still an issue?
-Designate 1 day@weekend and sacrifice it to God of Nerd
-Put on boosters
-Find commander
-Follow and mow down everything
-Gift of Battle in 4-5hours, 6 hours at worst.
-If you can’t do it in 1 day then sacrifice 2 days to God of Nerd instead. 3 hours each day tops.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Although slow, one can obtain the Gift of Battle without ever setting foot in WvW. Of course, it does require access to a Guild Hall with the appropriate upgrade.

Thus, ArenaNet has already provided an alternate means of obtaining the Gift of Battle.

Can you elaborate?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Can you elaborate?

If you complete 80 WvW (basic) dailies, you get enough WvW potions to finish a reward track.

To completely avoid wvw:
For “Big Spender,” go to your guild hall and purchase one Badge of Tribute. This occurs 3-4x/month, so figure it would take at least 20 months to get 80 potions. (It almost certainly takes less, but I’ve not seen a reliable rotation for dailies that makes it easy to count; this is worst case.)

If you want to do “PvE in WvW”, there are the following dailies:

• Daily Monument: you ‘capture’ a ruin in the borderlands. No fighting
  • Daily Veteran Slayer: 3 NPCs in each BL count for this.
  • Daily Land Claimer: fight a sentry NPC, claim their location
  • Daily caravan: kill an enemy dolyak; there are plenty leaving from enemy-owned camps near your spawn.

There are easily 10 of these per week, so if you do them all, worst case ~2 months. Each involves a minor risk of getting attacked by enemy players, with that risk varying depending on location, time of day, and your world/opponents.

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

WvW is a PvE map. The mobs are just more complicated.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Can you elaborate?

If you complete 80 WvW (basic) dailies, you get enough WvW potions to finish a reward track.

To completely avoid wvw:
For “Big Spender,” go to your guild hall and purchase one Badge of Tribute. This occurs 3-4x/month, so figure it would take at least 20 months to get 80 potions. (It almost certainly takes less, but I’ve not seen a reliable rotation for dailies that makes it easy to count; this is worst case.)

• Daily caravan: kill an enemy dolyak; there are plenty leaving from enemy-owned camps near your spawn.

There are easily 10 of these per week, so if you do them all, worst case ~2 months. Each involves a minor risk of getting attacked by enemy players, with that risk varying depending on location, time of day, and your world/opponents.

That’s pretty much how I did mine. Although now it’s getting harder to enter wvw and it kinda suck for people playing wvw that I take their queue only for daily.

But I thought there was also a way to acquire one “without ever setting foot in WvW” with “a Guild Hall with the appropriate upgrade.”
But google search returns no result on that. Or I’m not searching it right.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

If you can’t find a zerg in your own server, you can always look in the Edge of the Mists.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Can you elaborate?

To completely avoid wvw:

That’s pretty much how I did mine. Although now it’s getting harder to enter wvw and it kinda suck for people playing wvw that I take their queue only for daily.

But I thought there was also a way to acquire one “without ever setting foot in WvW” with “a Guild Hall with the appropriate upgrade.”
But google search returns no result on that. Or I’m not searching it right.

It’s the first option IWN posted. Use ‘Big Spender’ in the Guild Hall. You can also fulfill ‘Big Spender’ in the starting area of your borderlands where no enemy players are allowed to enter, of course.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

The appropriate guild hall upgrade is the first stage of WvW War room restoration and the vendor there – who sells Badges of Tribute.(The process that Illconceived Was Na elaborated on.) You go to your guild hall,(if it has war room restoration level 1 or higher) purchase the Badge of Tribute to qualify for “Big Spender” and get the WvW reward track potion from that. It is a long process, but you do not have participate in WvW at all. You just have to go to a map and choose the proper reward track, then drink 80 potions.

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Baloney! You can get that darn thing in less than a day, real time.

How ridiculous not to want to participate in the real end game of GW2

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

dace.8019

While I appreciate (and I’m sure others stumbling over this might) the attempt to offer help – thanks – but it’s not what I’m asking for. For myself, I did it before I even posted this (it took me maybe 6 hours with boosters, following a zerg).

Doing PvE within WvW is sort of still the same thing really but it requires months for what could be done in 1-2 sessions .The vendor method seems arbitrarily punitive, as if to disincline anyone from doing it that way, or as compensation for someone going through all that for other things.

I ask for there to be another method because I don’t want to do it again if I ever need another, and on behalf of those who don’t want to play WvW. None of the alternatives listed are even remotely equivocal to the time/effort/gates required via the WvW track, which doesn’t seem fair.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Reintroducing the old “500 tokens price” would be the best choice so far.

btw, i do really hate ( as op says ) where players have only one way to achieve something ( and more when this is through a time sink modify like this gift. They didn’t add the wvw reward track… nope… they first lowered badge drop rates, then removed the gift from vendor, and then reintroduced it through wvw reward track… )

That way of doing things is pretty harsh toward players.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Reintroducing the old “500 tokens price” would be the best choice so far.

btw, i do really hate ( as op says ) where players have only one way to achieve something ( and more when this is through a time sink modify like this gift. They didn’t add the wvw reward track… nope… they first lowered badge drop rates, then removed the gift from vendor, and then reintroduced it through wvw reward track… )

That way of doing things is pretty harsh toward players.

Why exactly is that the best choice? Plenty of people hate doing Map completion which is by far a longer and arguably more arduous task. A better suggestion would be to allow us to trade a Gift of Battle for a Gift of Exploration and vice versa, thereby allowing pvers to stay in pve and wvwers to stay in wvw.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Shirlias.8104

i am lost, why are you talking about map competion and gift of battle?
Gift of exploration is a thing.
Gift of battle another.

Before was fine ( 500 tokens and go ), now you have to farm more, and also doing that specific track ( instead maybe another one you would like to complete for skins ).

The fact somebody doesn’t care about world completion is not a problem here.

Lahmia.2193

i am lost, why are you talking about map competion and gift of battle?
Gift of exploration is a thing.
Gift of battle another.

Before was fine ( 500 tokens and go ), now you have to farm more, and also doing that specific track ( instead maybe another one you would like to complete for skins ).

The fact somebody doesn’t care about world completion is not a problem here.

Gift of battle is hated by pure pvers.
Gift of exploration is hated by pure wvwers.
They both have the same problem in that they force a specific group of players out of their preferred game mode.
So my method fixes both problems, whereas yours just caters to Pvers. Who, I might add, have to do far less for GoB than wvwers have to do for GoE.

edit: personally I’m fine with how they both are. You want a shiny legendary weapons? Put the effort in instead of moaning about it.

Posted by: Magnus Godrik.5841

Magnus Godrik.5841

Makes sense to acquire Gift of battle by actually going into battle. It’s actually pretty quick to get now by going into zerg battles. You get other goodies by doing this as well. It’s more unfair for a wvw or pvp player to do map completion for thier legendary. It also takes way longer for them. I craft many legendaries and acquiring this way is no pain at all. And it brings life to wvw which can be fun when many are playing.

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

Takes around 9 hours or so at T6 participation to complete a track.

Really isn’t that bad when you get down to it and I certainly have to grind a hell of a lot more PvE than I wanted to by comparison.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Lahmia.2193

Takes around 9 hours or so at T6 participation to complete a track.

Really isn’t that bad when you get down to it and I certainly have to grind a hell of a lot more PvE than I wanted to by comparison.

And better yet, it can be reduced to just over 6 hours by using experience and guild boosters.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

All of you wanting the old vendor back – you do remember that it required a certain WvW rank, right? So starting fresh, you’d still have to WvW some.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Why would this be a good thing for the game? Why do you think ANet changed the requirements for the GoB more than once, each time making it less convenient for those who are strictly PvE?

Its the exact opposite. Badges are obtained fasted by invader loot (ie Killing other players), from rank chests (which is also fastest by killing invaders), and killing Tower Lords and Camp Supervisors (yielding a few per capture). At a cost of 500 badges, doing a couple hundred tower/camp captures is a painful prospect if you’re trying to avoid the zerg and/or roamers (who are purposely targeting other solo or small groups).

With the addition of Edge of the Mists, camp and tower captures became easier, but still required opposing teams to recapture it before you could recap yourself. A lot of areas are also blocked off by siege walls. This became friendly for K-trains, but still look a LOT of time gather the badges without a head on fight.

But with the switch to Reward track, it changed the process to a simple time sink of 7-10 hours; which you could easily bang out on a weekend. And with the squad system, you can volunteer to scout/camp assets owned by your team and get participation without even having to fight NPCs.

So tell me again how its “less convenient” then the old way? Or is interacting with a Commander suddenly become incredibly difficult?

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

The only way to get Gift of Exploration is Map Completion.

The only Way to get Gift of Maguuma is HoT map Completion/ HoT mastery Completion.

So what’s your point?

Play the gamemode for the individual gifts.

It literally takes less than 4 hrs to get a Gift of Battle vs 20+ Hrs to get a GoE or GoM.
There is a certain word that describes the issue of this post.

The average is between 3hrs and 4 hrs to complete on GoB if you maximize your playtime and use boosters.

As PvE player you can get 4 GoBs before you ever get 2 GoE, let that sink in. With very minimal effort

This is a non issue.

Maybe play the game as the Devs intend it.

(edited by Sly.9518)

Shirlias.8104

It is Less conveniente cause you need non more time.
In the same amoubt of time needed to complete the Track i did 2k badges, which were Worth 4 gob.

And you dare to Say how now is Less convenient?

Lahmia.2193

Its the exact opposite. Badges are obtained fasted by invader loot (ie Killing other players), from rank chests (which is also fastest by killing invaders), and killing Tower Lords and Camp Supervisors (yielding a few per capture). At a cost of 500 badges, doing a couple hundred tower/camp captures is a painful prospect if you’re trying to avoid the zerg and/or roamers (who are purposely targeting other solo or small groups).

With the addition of Edge of the Mists, camp and tower captures became easier, but still required opposing teams to recapture it before you could recap yourself. A lot of areas are also blocked off by siege walls. This became friendly for K-trains, but still look a LOT of time gather the badges without a head on fight.

But with the switch to Reward track, it changed the process to a simple time sink of 7-10 hours; which you could easily bang out on a weekend. And with the squad system, you can volunteer to scout/camp assets owned by your team and get participation without even having to fight NPCs.

So tell me again how its “less convenient” then the old way? Or is interacting with a Commander suddenly become incredibly difficult?

Because badges were available outside of WvW. Aside from the wvw rank requirement, you could just use achievement chests to gain the gifts before. And ranks could be bought with laurels. So you could in theory never do any event or kill any foe inside wvw to gain the Gift of Battle.

(edited by Lahmia.2193)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Do WvW folks ever think to ask that non-sarcastically?
There’s already Proof of Heroics as a foot in the door on the concept.

I’d give full support for there being a vector for dedicated WvW players to play or buy their way into map world completion. Make an entire track dedicated to Books of Travel that give random POIs, Books of Renown for random hearts (arguably the worst part of map completion), and Books of Tourism for Vistas.

Or have it so that a character can trade 2 Gifts of Exploration for 1 tradeable Gift of Exploration and sell it to the trading post.

I can buy my way out of PvP. I don’t need to try it, because I hate the culture that surrounds it. There is no easing me in. It’s best I keep myself out of it for my sanity and the ones who would be cursed with me on a team.

I can buy some of my WvW participation. Memories of Battle are a thing. Why is that not sufficient buy-in to support WvW? Why is there another WvW requirement on top of it? I don’t need to try WvW. It bores me. Too much walking around for no payoff, zerg-tastic meta, and commanders who don’t communicate. I’d readily give someone else a share of my loot to skip it.

And it’s completely fair for WvW players to ask for alternatives to map completion. I get it. It’s dry, not challenging, and it takes a long time. So ask ANet! If the idea’s awesome enough, they might put it in.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Osby.5390

Osby.5390

I agree with you dace.8019, I have screws in my fingers so mobility in WVW or PVP is really difficult for me physically and I to prefer PVE content not PVP play style. I don’t believe WVW and PVP are end game content for everybody. I think they should look at an alternative way to get this for players who are not PVP inclined like a repeatable achievement track of some kind would be cool. I also don’t like the aggro and abuse I get in WVW and being kicked out of squads because Im a ranger or because I die a fair bit and not as good as other seasoned PVP players, sure they don’t know i have a physical disability but I liked GW1 cause the player base was friendly and helpful and in WVW and PVP they are abusive and toxic if your not super great at it. I’m on my 6th legendary now and I really would love a legendary back pack and armor but you have to be quite good at maneuvering for raids and fractals so that’s out of my reach for now sadly.
I have enjoyed the odd run if you get a nice group of people but that does not happen very often unfortunately.

Sly.9518

Do WvW folks ever think to ask that non-sarcastically?
There’s already Proof of Heroics as a foot in the door on the concept.

I’d give full support for there being a vector for dedicated WvW players to play or buy their way into map world completion. Make an entire track dedicated to Books of Travel that give random POIs, Books of Renown for random hearts (arguably the worst part of map completion), and Books of Tourism for Vistas.

Or have it so that a character can trade 2 Gifts of Exploration for 1 tradeable Gift of Exploration and sell it to the trading post.

I can buy my way out of PvP. I don’t need to try it, because I hate the culture that surrounds it. There is no easing me in. It’s best I keep myself out of it for my sanity and the ones who would be cursed with me on a team.

I can buy some of my WvW participation. Memories of Battle are a thing. Why is that not sufficient buy-in to support WvW? Why is there another WvW requirement on top of it? I don’t need to try WvW. It bores me. Too much walking around for no payoff, zerg-tastic meta, and commanders who don’t communicate. I’d readily give someone else a share of my loot to skip it.

And it’s completely fair for WvW players to ask for alternatives to map completion. I get it. It’s dry, not challenging, and it takes a long time. So ask ANet! If the idea’s awesome enough, they might put it in.

Fun fact you never have to step foot outside of The spawn point in WvW to get a GoB sooooooo Yeah there is that…….

And why do WvW player shave to do more than Map Completion to craft Legendaries to craft gen you need more than just th GoE and GoM, you have to perform Collections and Map Metas to collect Map Specific Currencies on almost all the Legendaries except the newer of the Gen 2.

So one last time you don’t have to step outside of Spawn or do anything to WvW related to “earn” a GoB and if you do it takes between 3-4 hrs to get one vs the 20+ hrs minimum to get all the Pvp requirements, so again why don’t players play as the Devs intended.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

I have played since day 5 and I have never played as the Devs intended. Why would I do that? I play for my interests and not someone else’s reasons. Doing that would make me nothing more than a simple automaton, a slave to whatever whim a dev may want to try, only to change in 2 weeks.
The game is huge and has more than enough to interest a broad range of players, including those that NEVER leave the game mode they enjoy! Once we BUY the game, we can play it however we want, whether it makes sense to you or anyone else.
Ever heard of role playing?
Asking that question of why we don’t play like they want dispays a total lack of understanding of the simple concept that we are all different and as such we enjoy different things. Fortunately the Devs understand this.

Rauderi.8706

Fun fact you never have to step foot outside of The spawn point in WvW to get a GoB sooooooo Yeah there is that…….

And why do WvW players have to do more than Map Completion to craft Legendaries to craft gen you need more than just th GoE and GoM, you have to perform Collections and Map Metas to collect Map Specific Currencies on almost all the Legendaries except the newer of the Gen 2.

So one last time you don’t have to step outside of Spawn or do anything to WvW related to “earn” a GoB and if you do it takes between 3-4 hrs to get one vs the 20+ hrs minimum to get all the Pvp requirements, so again why don’t players play as the Devs intended.

You’re talking hax, dude. I think.

Can’t do WvW dailies without, omg, doing WvW. Can’t get participation without doing, omg, WvW. If you’re talking about using what few badges I have left, haha guess what, you can’t get more of those without, omg, doing WvW.

It’s an entire system plugged up and designed to force the unwilling to drag themselves into WvW where they will be perceived as either “lol lootbags” or “OMG DONT U KNOW WHAT THE KITTEN UR DOIN”. It’s not healthy for PvE players, and it’s not healthy for the WvW environment.

As for why collections requires PvE, I dunno. Maybe it’s a more terrain-expansive, variable game mode. Funny that. :|

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You’re kidding, right? Originally, it simply cost badges of honor, which people get from Achievement Chests. No WvW was required at all. The current system requires a minimum WvW rank and completion of a reward track.

I’m not arguing that it’s difficult. And if you read my post, I’m not supporting a return to the old method. I’m simply asking why the OP thinks this is better for the game and why they think ANet changed the requirements in the first place.

Maybe it’s easier for you today because you didn’t have a lot of Badges. But clearly from all of the threads on this particular topic, it’s less convenient for lots of other people.

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

You want a shiny legendary weapons? Put the effort in instead of moaning about it.

^This. It’s just a skin we’re talking about. If you want that skin, you’ll have to work for it.

Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

Rauderi.8706

You want a shiny legendary weapons? Put the effort in instead of moaning about it.

^This. It’s just a skin we’re talking about. If you want that skin, you’ll have to work for it.

If it’s “just a skin” why is it so much effort? Just sayin’.

But for Gift of Battle specifically, there’s just a huge chunk of resentment for the acquisition. I don’t want to be in WvW. WvW people don’t want me in WvW. (It’s true, they’ve said so. A lot.) So why is it considered a good game design decision to force it for “just a skin”?

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Before the reward tracks it was SO MUCH easier to get a gift of battle. You got Badges of Honor for a lot of achievements including PvE achievements. I never had to step into WvW other than to purchase my Gift of Battle.

I bought 2 extra when we discovered they were going to the new reward track system. It is so much more time consuming now and you have to play WvW to get them.

I don’t have a problem with that at all. Legendaries are supposed to be the pinnacle of gear so why shouldn’t we have to go above and beyond to get the things for legendaries?

I can tolerate WvW and can’t stand PvP, but I do both when I am making another legendary. I do not understand why people complain about doing what is required in order to get what they want. Don’t like to do what you have to in order to get a legendary? Too bad. That’s life in and out of the game.

tl/dr: GoB was easier to get before tracks. Do what you have to NOW to get them or do without.

Sly.9518

And why do WvW players have to do more than Map Completion to craft Legendaries to craft gen you need more than just th GoE and GoM, you have to perform Collections and Map Metas to collect Map Specific Currencies on almost all the Legendaries except the newer of the Gen 2.

You’re talking hax, dude. I think.

Can’t do WvW dailies without, omg, doing WvW. Can’t get participation without doing, omg, WvW. If you’re talking about using what few badges I have left, haha guess what, you can’t get more of those without, omg, doing WvW.

It’s an entire system plugged up and designed to force the unwilling to drag themselves into WvW where they will be perceived as either “lol lootbags” or “OMG DONT U KNOW WHAT THE KITTEN UR DOIN”. It’s not healthy for PvE players, and it’s not healthy for the WvW environment.

As for why collections requires PvE, I dunno. Maybe it’s a more terrain-expansive, variable game mode. Funny that. :|

Shows how much you know, you get badges from Achcievement Chests and From the Currency converter, you use those badges to buy WvW items when the WvW Big Spender Daily is active, which means you never have to leave WvW Spawn to get a GoB…

And one last time the amount of time any non PvEr has to spend in PvE is ridiculous 20+hrs for just the GoE not to include all the Collection items and Currencies from PvE compared to 3-4 hrs of what a PvEr has to do if they just play WvW or just skipping WvW and taking the long route of WvW big spender.

Lahmia.2193

If it’s “just a skin” why is it so much effort? Just sayin’.

But for Gift of Battle specifically, there’s just a huge chunk of resentment for the acquisition. I don’t want to be in WvW. WvW people don’t want me in WvW. (It’s true, they’ve said so. A lot.) So why is it considered a good game design decision to force it for “just a skin”?

The same could be said for all the HoT stuff you have to do for the t2 legendaries. The time sink for them far outweighs anything you have to do for GoB.

Rauderi.8706

The same could be said for all the HoT stuff you have to do for the t2 legendaries. The time sink for them far outweighs anything you have to do for GoB.

Not entirely true. I finished Astralaria’s requirements in way less time than it took to plod through Gift of Battle. The financial cost for ascended materials on the other hand… But there’s no real comparison there.

Shows how much you know, you get badges from Achcievement Chests and From the Currency converter [citation needed], you use those badges to buy WvW items when the WvW Big Spender Daily is active, which means you never have to leave WvW Spawn to get a GoB…

And one last time the amount of time any non PvEr has to spend in PvE is ridiculous 20+hrs for just the GoE not to include all the Collection items and Currencies from PvE compared to 3-4 hrs of what a PvEr has to do if they just play WvW or just skipping WvW and taking the long route of WvW big spender.

Shows how much you know, Achievement Chests are a limited resource and I’m already well past the point on AP that grinding new chests isn’t worth the time. I wish I’d gone and bought a few GoB before they swapped its acquisition to the cursed track. And don’t give me that “3-4 hrs” malarkey. I spent well over 10 hours of soul-crushing boredom, chasing mute commanders and getting rolled by zergblob gameplay.

Point of note:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Badge_of_Honor
Not to doubt personal experience, but there is no indication that Badges come from loot boxes that aren’t WvW participation.
And if you’re talking about: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Memory_Gobbler
Wrong again. Even touching it requires https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Skirmish_Claim_Ticket and only spits out garbage, as noted: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Timeless_Bag_of_Items

Maybe the wiki needs an update, but right now, doesn’t look like getting Badges happens without participation, so the point stands.

And one last time (haha not really), if WvW/PvP folks want alternative methods to doing boring, grindy world completion, petition for it. ANet might listen to a well-formed request.

Many alts; handle it!

Lahmia.2193

And one last time (haha not really), if WvW/PvP folks want alternative methods to doing boring, grindy world completion, petition for it. ANet might listen to a well-formed request.

Why do you think I suggested (and it has been suggested countless times before) a merchant that lets you trade a Gift of Battle for Gift of Exploration and vice versa? While I don’t mind doing either myself (I enjoy WvW and PvE very much for that matter) it would satisfy both those in the pve camp, who hate wvw, and those in the WvW camp, who hate pve.